The carve

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 6 May 2015 at 10:27pm

Straight up - a barrel trumps all.

I love coming off the bottom as square as possible and eyeing off that lip, time seemingly suspended as you determine where you're going to hit the lip.

I dig a high line, praying that the rail and fins hold as you shoot down the line with the wave face pushing beyond concave beneath you, moving faster than you could believe was possible .

I love a carve.

Have you ever seen a master carver in the flesh ?

I saw Dean Morrison reave a turn that would peel your eyes back . I've seen Luke Egan gouge a cutback with such drawn out ferociousness that I still feel it sometimes when my mind drifts into sleep and I'm jolted with a wakening shot of adrenaline.

I witnessed Occy destroy an entire wave with what amounted to a single line that was sustained top to bottom three times over that left me speechless. Spray arcing to the sky , the lip disintegrated and a wake pursuing his board like a meteor burning through the atmosphere.

Rail set against the grain.

Feet planted into the deck.

I love a carve.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2015 at 10:44pm

Top Five carvers - AI
Occy
Dingo
Knox
Curren.

Parko as alternate.

SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk Wednesday, 6 May 2015 at 10:56pm

Blowin Switch Both ways;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 6 May 2015 at 11:00pm

In no specific order-

Occy
Curren
TC
AI
Parko

Honourable mention- Sunny.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2015 at 11:11pm

Trent Munro

Pound for pound surfs as hard as anyone ever has.

A bottom turn with enough G's to black out Buzz Aldrin.

A cutback that's stringer and fins more out than in.

Searing, searing surfing.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 1:37am

Blowin, lovin your descriptions....

Surfed with Occy (watching whilst surfing the same beachie), Jack McCoy filming, Inji, crystal clear water, sun shining, blue skys, thick heaving sections, he still managed some amazing carves. Never ever forget that day.....................

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 7:41am

Loved watching Hoyo lay some rail.
JJF goes alright for a young fella.

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 7:52am

Bring back power surfing.

Surfing a solid Tweed coast beachie in the eighties. Saw some guy with labels all over him (maybe said Tokoro?) that I had never seen before. He was throwing carves upside down one after the other in the barrel under the lip. Then some over the top. Defying gravity. The noise of the little chops on the water hitting his board was like he was being towed by a boat. This guys surfing was burned into my brain

Air reverses? Pffftt.... designed by the surf industry to destroy boards and promote sales

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 11:02am

Hoyo and Pancho Sullivan were impressive. Jordy smith too

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 11:23am

Watched Pancho at a Mid North Coast rivermouth a few years back and his carves were absolutely on point, so much commitment that the slightest error in timing or weight distribution would've stopped him in his tracks. Didn't happen though. Not once in the session.

Prolly wont get Taj Burrow's name thrown into too many discussions about power surfing yet I'll drop it in the mix. Saw him at Winki a few years back destroy a section as I paddled over it. Fella came down the line at warp speed and his first move was a bottom turn to vert reo fin waft thing. It wasn't perfect Winki, the wind was on it, the lip a bit crumbly, there was 1001 things that could've gone wrong yet he landed with aplomb, then without delay jammed it onto his inside rail once more. The wave wasn't as steep this time so he transferred all his accumulated speed and momentum into a searing centrifugal cutty that reminded me of childhood trips to the Gravitron - being stuck to the wall by sheer speed.

Dunno what it would've looked like from a distance or via webcast, but the view from the front row was incredible. Just two seconds out of a shit hot surfers life and here I am writing about it many years later.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 11:25am

Rastas laybacks are pretty neat and cool looking. Can watch them all day without getting bored.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 11:30am

Excellent top comment there Blowin.

As much as i respect the air game people have these days i just cannot help but love rail surfing in all its powerful, committed drawn out glory. Im 26 and i much rather watch a board being put on its rail edge at 90 degrees with only one fin still cutting through the wave.

A beautiful example provided by one of the best of all time;
http://www.thefreeridevoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/836_1brian_bi...

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 11:33am

Agree with all the comments above. The carve is amazing when seen live with someone who shreds!

I'd like to mention a couple of newer school guys:

Conner Coffin - good to see the young yank keeping the fins in the water

Dion Atkinson - So bummed he dropped off tour this year, reckon he has what it takes, but such a good surfer in good waves. Love seeing him in waves like bells and haleiwa.

Honourable mention to another new schooler: Ricardo Christie reminds me of Dion, but will need to pull his finger out to stay on tour

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 3:23pm

Remember this guy? He went alright......

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 4:27pm

Hands up who would pull a decent carve BEFORE setting up the Tube .......
" www.facebook.com/video.php?v=393595564058856 "

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 4:50pm

This young Keramas local Lempog Jackson pulled off the most stylish carve I've seen in person for a long while...

Another unknown down the beach..

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 5:21pm

Derek Hynd blasted them on single fins like no-one before him.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 6:19pm

Richard Cram.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 6:21pm
udo wrote:

Richard Cram.

Yep.... Note the photo I posted.....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 6:26pm

Another bloke who could throw a bit of water..... Sadly no longer with us.....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 6:42pm

Sheepy I didn't pick that as Crammy...what a hack.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 6:51pm

Some great pics sheepy!
Any love for Kong?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 6:57pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Remember this guy? He went alright......

How could I have forgotten Richard Cram ?

There was one wave of his in the Quiksilver flick " Performers 2" when he raced a few sections on a right and then buried the rail to the stringer and sliced that thing to freaking death.

Merciless Top to bottom hook .

So influential on my vision of good surfing and to this day still spawning my own Z Grade imitation of same.

Thanks Crammy, and again , sorry for what I regularly do to the great dream of the perfect carve.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 6:59pm
stunet wrote:

Watched Pancho at a Mid North Coast rivermouth a few years back and his carves were absolutely on point, so much commitment that the slightest error in timing or weight distribution would've stopped him in his tracks. Didn't happen though. Not once in the session.

Prolly wont get Taj Burrow's name thrown into too many discussions about power surfing yet I'll drop it in the mix. Saw him at Winki a few years back destroy a section as I paddled over it. Fella came down the line at warp speed and his first move was a bottom turn to vert reo fin waft thing. It wasn't perfect Winki, the wind was on it, the lip a bit crumbly, there was 1001 things that could've gone wrong yet he landed with aplomb, then without delay jammed it onto his inside rail once more. The wave wasn't as steep this time so he transferred all his accumulated speed and momentum into a searing centrifugal cutty that reminded me of childhood trips to the Gravitron - being stuck to the wall by sheer speed.

Dunno what it would've looked like from a distance or via webcast, but the view from the front row was incredible. Just two seconds out of a shit hot surfers life and here I am writing about it many years later.

Cool story. So true. Indelibly imprinted on your mind.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 7:01pm
lostdoggy wrote:

Some great pics sheepy!
Any love for Kong?

Hell yeah..... Should've been world champ.....

BTW that last photo is of a bloke who won the bells....

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 7:41pm

andy irons at snapper one day, just unbelievable how fast he was going and the arc was amazing also china at d-bah one day carved back into the barrel behind him hit the whitewater and came out- fastest smoothest turn i have ever seen

mozzie's picture
mozzie's picture
mozzie Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 8:09pm

Let's not forget Davo! Absolute animal on a carve! Lightning fast & beat Kelly twice in the one comp at Bells...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 9:01pm

No takers? Photo at 6.26pm was Joe Engel....

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 8 May 2015 at 5:50am

Ok Sheepie Joe ripped alright and its still imprinted on my mind those carves on the end section at Nias in storm riders.Think he died in the northern territory and he turned his back on surfing as some do for reasons unknown,cant believe guys with so much ability just give it away.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 8 May 2015 at 6:56am

Joey had some mental health issues in his last years ...but was happy
RIP.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 8 May 2015 at 9:16am

couple of extras....Michael Peterson,Dane Kealoha.....currently miles ahead of the rest JJF......and Margo had the best backhand of just about anybody!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 8 May 2015 at 9:49am

It may have been the tube that got the attention, but old Tommo from South Africa could carve with the best of them... You don't win a world title up against guys like rabbit, MR, Ho, Dane, Simon, Warren etc by just riding barrels... note how much rail of this single fin is buried....

Kanga wasn't bad at displacing some water on a single fin, too.....

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 8 May 2015 at 3:08pm

Kanga, big board, big man, big carve

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 8 May 2015 at 6:56pm

big balls...and BIG head

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 26 Jul 2015 at 5:00pm

Checkout - The best of Mark Occhilupo , Occy surf on YouTube for a refresher course in unrelenting wave destruction and a lesson in dealing with each section ,and therefore each moment in life, as the situation arises.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 26 Jul 2015 at 5:11pm
SurferFuk wrote:

Blowin Switch Both ways;)

busted

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 26 Jul 2015 at 5:31pm

Some iconic clasic major carves captured in still shots and published in magazines over the years just don't look so good in video. With youtube I have now seen a lot that were captured on film as well. A couple Richard Crams and one of MP in the Stubbies spring to mind. A lot of the 70s and 80s is best seen as still shots.

Early Occy, Tom Curren and Martin Potter and some Cheyne Horan still stand out as surfing that would not seem out of place today.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 26 Jul 2015 at 7:38pm

"Cheyne Horan still stand out as surfing that would not seem out of place today. Horan still stand out as surfing that would not seem out of place today."

Oouuccchhhhh....!
Classic call from UDO.

Seen Cheyne the other day teaching young ones with dads.........? 1ft wash thrus...?
Yeap and with a waist line for sure;)

WE all grow old............................................

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 26 Jul 2015 at 10:45pm

Terry Fitz Mr body tourqe. Amazing at Sunset along with Kong.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 18 Sep 2015 at 5:38pm

Fanning carve on a single fin :
Hedgey crankin a backhand bottom turn :

Andrew 'shorty' Buckley photography.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 11 Apr 2018 at 5:10pm

R.I.P. Willy Morris
Big Man ...Big Man Turns.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Wednesday, 11 Apr 2018 at 9:13pm

What’s the story with Willy Morris? He’s passed away?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 11 Apr 2018 at 10:40pm

Yes.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 12 Apr 2018 at 7:07am

Surfed with him in memorable waves, nice bloke and shredded.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Thursday, 12 Apr 2018 at 9:26am

He certainly did rip! And on real waves. Sad ge’s gone. I think he would still only be mid fifties.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Apr 2018 at 8:43pm

Geez Beau Cram can hang a Cutty like his Dad
beau cram insta.