Secret spots

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer started the topic in Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 1:09pm

What can you tell us about your "secret" spot?

Sure you don't want to give us a link to google maps with an arrow pointing to the prime take off spot. But what are you prepared to say?

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 1:27pm

I'll go first....

About my secret spot:
- in a bay and sheltered from Southerly winds. In winter it pumps from 4ft upwards, if there is sand. I surfed it from 2009 till 2013 then last year there was no sand... it looks like sand is building at the moment.
- It breaks in front of rocks and cliffs so it's difficult to see from the road
- 90% of the time when it's on you surf it by yourself. If you surf before work then you always get it to yourself.
- The most crowded I have surfed it was in 2013 with about 6 or 7 other people and that was after it had pumped for 2 weeks straight
- It's a very heavy, slabbing and wedging right and left that generally is an A frame barrel followed by either a fade out, fast section or close out depending on sand. The wave peaks in front of some rocks that stick out a bit so both left and right run into little bays.
- It starts to close out at 6ft and then at 8ft plus every wave is a close out
- Access and leaving the water is over slippery rocks and can be very gnarly
- If you wipe out on take off on a big day you have to think quick or you will be on the rocks
- To get there you need to park at xyz beach walk to the north or south end and treck for about abc metres over rocks
- It's uncrowded because everyone else head to xyz and abc to surf the reefs and points. Plus there is the risk that you will treck the rocks, get there and there is no sand!

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 2:29pm

NTT.small island We used to go there in our sailing cat . extremely fickle needs lots of West in the swell wrapping right tube on one side shorter left on the other hard to get to unless you've got your own boat. Actually the other secret is a monumental left off a smaller island to the south . you'll always be alone here but it's got a lot of power. Nowadays because the girl won't play sailing adventure anymore i surf another secret spot (NOT)Noosa. :)

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 2:39pm

Okay burgs, here goes.

It's a secret if if you and ya mate come round it will end in tears.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 3:43pm

Hey Burgs i think i know its at the north end of...............................................................shhhhhhhh

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 5:23pm

it's a slabby, wedging, peaky, barrelling a frame beach, reef, point break that is longer than chica-whatever and it's a left with a backdoor but could be described as a right with a side door and veranda. it's just south of that place that is to the north of the southerly point. it works best when there are lobster pots out, but not too many.

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 5:24pm

For a number of years I lived across the road from South Cronulla and I used to surf in front of the pools between South and the Alley whenever it pumped... I had loads and loads of surfs in very decent waves by myself while point and alley were crowded... One picture perfect 5 ft session stands out with very easy take offs and the super fast barrels on the inside in front of South Cronulla's tidal pool.

I thought to put this forum post up after all the talk about crowds on the Uber Bank last week.... There are so many semi secret spots where you can get a wave to yourself... even in a highly populated area like Cronulla.... Heck on a decent offshore winter morning go to green hills and walk north until you have a peak to yourself :)

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 6:06pm

Now youve done it

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 3 Mar 2015 at 10:27pm

You're dying to tell us Burgsurfer. Might as well spit it out mate.

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 6:20am
Blowin wrote:

You're dying to tell us Burgsurfer. Might as well spit it out mate.

No ways.... Hate for it to become like Uber Bank!!!

surfing-cronulla's picture
surfing-cronulla Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 6:39am

As Greenhills is over a 3k walk from Wanda carpark, any further north you'd be at Boat Harbour. Ohhh ... right. ;)

burgsurfer wrote:

... even in a highly populated area like Cronulla.... Heck on a decent offshore winter morning go to green hills and walk north until you have a peak to yourself :)

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 8:29am

Sorry mate, I mean the beachies between Wanda and Boat Harbour and was referring to Greenhills the suburb, so the far end of Wanda - per the map.....

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Greenhills+Beach+-+Metricon+Homes,+...(off+Captain+Cook+Dr.),+Cronulla+NSW+2230,+Australia/@-34.0346012,151.1736804,17.93z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b12b7e0cf606805:0x8089b93be451af96?hl=en-au

Everyone knows boat harbour is only good for a dive, a nice day with wife and kids and making tracks with your ute!!

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 9:23am
chook wrote:

it's a slabby, wedging, peaky, barrelling a frame beach, reef, point break that is longer than chica-whatever and it's a left with a backdoor but could be described as a right with a side door and veranda. it's just south of that place that is to the north of the southerly point. it works best when there are lobster pots out, but not too many.

hahaha that's about as much as I would ever give away too.

surfing-cronulla Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 10:37pm

Zoom out on that map and it shows "Green Hills Cronulla" way up towards Boat Harbour so I thought you we secretly indicating the Reefs which are rarely crowded and "semi-secret" in a way.

Greenhills Estate, and now defunct "Wanda" carpark, start near the Bend and end near 2K. Greenhills the surfspot has naught to do with Breen and Auslands silly and misleading name choices.

burgsurfer wrote:

Sorry mate, I mean the beachies between Wanda and Boat Harbour and was referring to Greenhills the suburb, so the far end of Wanda - per the map.....

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Greenhills+Beach+-+Metricon+Homes,+...(off+Captain+Cook+Dr.),+Cronulla+NSW+2230,+Australia/@-34.0346012,151.1736804,17.93z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b12b7e0cf606805:0x8089b93be451af96?hl=en-au

Everyone knows boat harbour is only good for a dive, a nice day with wife and kids and making tracks with your ute!!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 7:40pm

This thread didn't work out the way you expected, give us a bit more info, I'm taking notes

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 8:40pm

Is it worth it Shauno.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 4 Mar 2015 at 8:53pm

Never know, might pass through one day

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 7:37am

There's only a few kilometres of cliffs close to the water on the Coal Coast and they are along the North end of the Coal Coast.... I would say it's definitely worth it if you live close enough to check it regularly and when there is sand get on it but not if you passing through. Passing through on a decent swell it's much easier to find a pretty good peak to yourself at various beaches or if you don't mind sharing head to the well known reefs / points....

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 7:49am

I do know of a sneaky little wave, i used to surf on the surf coast, i wonder if there are people on to it. People go there to surf another wave it's right in front of them but they can't see it as they check the known wave, can't see how it could be going unsurfed, but miracles happen

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 8:00am

Yeah.., had plenty of experiences like that when I surfed in Cronulla, I hate crowds so would always look for a wave that the crowds don't favor and I got to know a couple of spots to surf by myself. It was only the great days at Sharks Island, Cronulla Point and another reef that I would surf with crowds.

leckiep's picture
leckiep's picture
leckiep Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 12:19pm
shaun wrote:

I do know of a sneaky little wave, i used to surf on the surf coast, i wonder if there are people on to it. People go there to surf another wave it's right in front of them but they can't see it as they check the known wave, can't see how it could be going unsurfed, but miracles happen

I reckon it's still there Shaun.
There is plenty on that coast that hides in plain sight

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 2:38pm

Yeah, but this one s within a km. of Winki, not much chance.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 3:13pm
shaun wrote:

Yeah, but this one s within a km. of Winki, not much chance.

Jan juc?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 4:01pm

No secrets at Jan juc, I'd pm but you can't any more and there might be some one from swell net surfs it

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 5 Mar 2015 at 4:40pm

Chocolate something with a tad of marshmallow wrapped in foil around something that is delicate with a little piece of Australian all around it, very long and has size which quirts taste buds into the realm of the unknown.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 9:01pm

Seems the more time goes on the less quality ones are the only secrets left. Harder to reach too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 6 Mar 2015 at 10:19pm

Burgsurfer hates crowds so he's going to keep dropping hints till the last quiet wave on his new stretch of coast gets overrun with people.

Keep narrowing it down .......

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 4:55am

Yeah some can't help themselves and then wonder why.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 9:56am

Between those who think they are mysterious giving little hint's, mobile phones and social media. Secret spots are becoming less of a secret. These kooks who seem more intent on letting people know where the banks are good on Facebook getting to semi secret spots then call their mates "get down here its pumping" are going to fuck up every stretch of coast within a few hours of a populated city.

Surf by yourself and don't tell any cunt when you scored waves in lesser known areas and their will still be plenty of secret spots left.

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 10:55am
Blowin wrote:

Burgsurfer hates crowds so he's going to keep dropping hints till the last quiet wave on his new stretch of coast gets overrun with people.

Keep narrowing it down .......

Trust me blowin, I aint gonna be surfing with crowds down there. Crowds are spread so thin at the beaches you can pick a peak to yourself at an easy access spot any time of any day..,, everyone that lives down here knows the spot I am talking about but you'll never find it.., ha ha!!

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 12:16pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:

Between those who think they are mysterious giving little hint's, mobile phones and social media. Secret spots are becoming less of a secret. These kooks who seem more intent on letting people know where the banks are good on Facebook getting to semi secret spots then. call their mates "get down here its pumping" are going to fuck up every stretch of coast within a few hours of a populated city.

Surf by yourself and don't tell any cunt when you scored waves in lesser known areas and their will still be plenty of secret spots left.

Wharfy not sure if your comment is aimed at me but I am not a kook... Trust me, I probably surf 7 times better than you in fact. But that aside, I am not calling crowds, trust me I don't call anyone when I get to a spot that's firing..... I do however see lots of boys doing that,.., I tend to surf by myself and would encourage everyone out there to steer clear of crowds and find a break that doesn't get surfed much. They are out there.,...No one will find this spot unless they know about it or come and live down my way. For the last year there has been no surf able wave there just waves breaking against rocks.... Telling people about a spot they will NEVER find is just a bit of fun and hopefully will encourage people to get their own secret spot. Bit hey if you have any semi secret spots suit yourself and take them with you to the grave ;-)

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 1:34pm

Wharfrat 7 times hey ?

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:01pm

Probably..... But I don't know... That was just a bit of a joke to be honest ;-)

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:00pm

How many times for me burgs? I'm a kook, just trying to work out where I sit:-))

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:01pm
burgsurfer wrote:

I am not a kook... Trust me, I probably surf 7 times better than you in fact.

Probably or in fact?

Can you say "I am not a kook." while doing a Richard Nixon impersonation?

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:16pm

22.37 times ;-) Shaun

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:03pm

But I would never call you a kook!

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:05pm
lostdoggy wrote:
burgsurfer wrote:

I am not a kook... Trust me, I probably surf 7 times better than you in fact.

Probably or in fact?

Can you say "I am not a kook." while doing a Richard Nixon impersonation?

Only after 17 beers and 12 tequilas!!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:43pm
burgsurfer wrote:

22.37 times ;-) Shaun

Hmmm, so would that make wharfy over 3 times better than me?

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 2:54pm

Yes but only when the wharfinator is surfing his secret spot he would never say a word about to a kook :-/

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 3:02pm

shaun said: shaun said: shaun said:

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 3:04pm

B-surfer are u a booger also ? probably not with burg as your first name tho . Its just that your joke sounds like a joke from a booger who gets hundreds of tubes at their secret ledge

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 4:03pm

A greAt wave 3 hrs west of WANAKA , 3-4 hr walk thru dinosaur country
Left hander 250m long into a river mouth
Good luck
Called Acid bat yeeeew

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 4:53pm

Camel... That sounds like a booger comment from you..... Nah, just enjoy ledges.

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 5:10pm
caml wrote:

B-surfer are u a booger also ? probably not with burg as your first name tho . Its just that your joke sounds like a joke from a booger who gets hundreds of tubes at their secret ledge

Don't have many pics of me surfing since I grew up.... But to show u I surf, this avatar is me at cloudbreak in 2012. Is yours of you?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 5:53pm

Yes, it most certainly is!!!

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 6:47pm
burgsurfer wrote:

Wharfy not sure if your comment is aimed at me but I am not a kook... Trust me, I probably surf 7 times better than you in fact. But that aside, I am not calling crowds, trust me I don't call anyone when I get to a spot that's firing..... I do however see lots of boys doing that,.., I tend to surf by myself and would encourage everyone out there to steer clear of crowds and find a break that doesn't get surfed much. They are out there.,...No one will find this spot unless they know about it or come and live down my way. For the last year there has been no surf able wave there just waves breaking against rocks.... Telling people about a spot they will NEVER find is just a bit of fun and hopefully will encourage people to get their own secret spot. Bit hey if you have any semi secret spots suit yourself and take them with you to the grave ;-)

Wasn't directed at you mate. It was more a general observation from what I have seen happening lately they aren't secrets to take to the grave far from it just stops those who don't put in the time and effort from reaping the rewards. The little hints your giving for your stretch of coast I may never visit so wouldn't know if you were being honest or misleading but 7 times hey I don't know how you would measure that mate but best you give yourself a pat on the back.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 8:04pm

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 8:43pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:

[quote=burgsurfer

Wasn't directed at you mate. It was more a general observation from what I have seen happening lately they aren't secrets to take to the grave far from it just stops those who don't put in the time and effort from reaping the rewards. The little hints your giving for your stretch of coast I may never visit so wouldn't know if you were being honest or misleading but 7 times hey I don't know how you would measure that mate but best you give yourself a pat on the back.

No worries mate. Re the 7 times that was a knee jerk joke to make lite of thinking you were calling me a kook,.., as I said "probably" which means I dont actually know...,.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 10:27pm

My profile pic isnt me im a lid rider too . Just got a wig on to hide amongst some real surfers

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 7 Mar 2015 at 10:31pm

Im a spy in disguise youve busted me . But i do have a secret spot . Do u want to know about ( them ) ?