Crystal Meth.......ice in your town.

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Wednesday, 5 Nov 2014 at 4:52pm

How bad is the use of Meth in your town ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Nov 2014 at 4:59pm

This shit seems to be every where, was gutted recently to see a used ice pipe stashed in the boot of a car of somebody I know well.......at least I thought I knew well......had know idea he was a user.......I usually pick users easily.....im gutted !
Seems this shit is every where Four Corners recently showed how far it has reached into the rural towns and Tasmania ,shocking.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Wednesday, 5 Nov 2014 at 5:40pm

Q, Whats the best thing about being a Meth user?
A, No sleeps till christmas.

Meth is an insidious drug that grabs people by the balls (and flaps) and squeezes the mojo from them, puff by puff. Old friends you thought you knew well descend into a vampire society governed by paranoia and sleep deprivation psychosis. The ones that escape the clutches of meth are strong willed.
I've seen good blokes loose everything, houses, wives, sanity, etc.
It can take down anyone, lawyers, doctors housewives etc it creeps into every strata of society,
Its fucked. But its making a lot people wealthy.
If you want to watch a good doco watch this on you tube
Louis Theroux Documentary. The City Addicted To Meth

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 5 Nov 2014 at 6:09pm

There's plenty of 17-30 year olds smoking ice on the mornington peninsula. It's a horrible thing to be addicted to, a mate of mine has been clean 7 months now after steadily getting addicted to it over the last 3 years. He didn't get to the point of using crime to find his habit, thanks to good parents. But he lost his girlfriend, his job as a bricky and spent a fuck load of money on it. Spent a month at a treatment clinic and now goes to aa meetings every day. Some of the stories he tells after his meetings are FUCKED!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 5 Nov 2014 at 6:43pm
udo wrote:

Seems this shit is every where Four Corners recently showed how far it has reached into the rural towns and Tasmania ,shocking.

Doesn't surprise me, i lived in Tassie in my late teens and the drug culture was huge, anything and everything, i could see Ice fitting like a glove.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Nov 2014 at 6:59pm

Four corners -Ice Rush aired on October 20th still avail online .

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Wednesday, 5 Nov 2014 at 11:59pm

Meth is fuckt! I work casual in an acute psychiatric ward whenever i go home on holiday, the amount of patients admitted due to a meth induced psychosis is ridiculous!
I was once told by a co-worker that statistics show something like 40% (dont quote me) of young abusers dont make it past 30. Sad shit!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 2:03am

The ice age ! Its fun at first ....

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 6:34am

Have you tried it Caml?

If so, did you get addicted?

I know it's big in Byron/Tweed but I honestly don't notice it much around here.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 8:35am

Best man to ask would be southey, he's always logging in the early hours, reckons it after work but reading between the line I see a man with a problem.

It is supposed to be bad in my town, but I don't see it.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 10:02am

IMO, If you have not dabbled in it, you won't really see it in other people around you.

Dirty nasty stuff, when addicted.

I used to know an eccentric young artist, 12 years my junior, kind of knew he was on the glass barbie.
He rocked up to my house after 5 years, looking 12 years older than me, skinny, jittery, talking a million miles an hour, face like a pizza..!
Started showing me some art work, black and white, sepia close up photos of his fairies from under his skin...? He had sliced open his thumbs and pulled pieces of gristle and flesh out, taking photos believing they were his fairies.

Enough said, such a shame, I heard he lost his house and is living with his parents know.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 10:10am

Wow Welly, mate that story is horrific :o

Coops70's picture
Coops70's picture
Coops70 Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 10:18am

You know its bad when you hear of everyone having a story about ice. Its bad in my town too and long term affects due to sleep deprivation is being seen through out rural towns all through oz. Sad to hear stories of peoples good friends getting fucked up.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 11:05am

The only ice down here is on Adamsons Peak...... The place that time forgot..... Very old school... Tonnes of pot..... Awash with buds...... Bushbud, boutique garden outdoor, indoor, you name it..... Pissheads too bigtime..... Lots of drinkdriving cos there's only one copper.... Lots of road accidents too.... Someone writing themselves off every fortnight......

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 3:40pm

I hate the shit

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 4:14pm

AC/DC drummer up on meth charges in NZ and procurement to murder, the glass barbeque claims another.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 6:58pm

Its not that new. Plenty around the place. When they can't afford the other chargin', courageous mo fucker, 'bin workin' the bag', nostrils flared and snortin', 'I'm a bad arse' shit, or that wears off too quick. I saw it in Ballina, screeching fuckers always gonna do shit. Its not that hard to pick. They get real cocky at first. Then crazy. Its real groovy too, got their own language and shit, even while they're scamming the fuck out of each other. Kinda feel sorry for them, but more for the people that ever have to deal with them. Tons of people think that they hide it. From what I've seen it changes them for ever. Entrepreneurial mo fuckin' bad arses.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 6 Nov 2014 at 7:33pm
inzider wrote:

AC/DC drummer up on meth charges in NZ and procurement to murder, the glass barbeque claims another.

I heard that today, fuck that's heavy eh

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 2:06pm

Torquay might have the highest per capita usage in teens of anywhere....we are dealing with robbery going thru thr roof.....kids are not aware how dangerous Ice is...especially when they use GBH to come down on.....the Ice is pure evil.......have parents here that are totally ignorant that their kids have a problem until money goes missing and then they disappear for a week and then come home and sleep for a week..

every community needs to start realizing this is an epidemic.....and educate people that Ice is one way street to the gutter if you don't die....communitys rise up and start throwing the dealers out of town!!!

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 2:46pm
brutus wrote:

Torquay might have the highest per capita usage in teens of anywhere....

Stan Couper wouldn't recognise the place.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 3:52pm

Bring back the leaf cones for kids

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 4:28pm

Bring back the cane I reckon, caml... lol

charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 4:29pm

A point i find interesting is that ice, meth etc doesn't have to exist. If someone in the know can please correct me if im wrong but this is the way i understand it:
Drugs like marijuana, cocaine & heroin will always exist because they or the stuff they are made from occurs naturally by growing in a plant. Meth on the other hand is made from ingredients that cannot simply be cooked up in your back yard. These ingredients come from industrial chemical factories that are making the stuff for cold and flu tablets etc. Just like Quaaludes which were a popular illicit drug back in the day no longer exits because governments got together and banned companies from making it. Meth / ice could effectively be wiped out if governments got together and banned companies from making the ingredients. It comes down to what is worse - the ice epidemic or life without cold and flu tablets - as well as some muli-government cooperation. I realise its not that simple but i believe its possible. Also for the record im not claiming a pharmaceutical company conspiracy theory.

I agree with Wellys statement that if ur not in the know then you probably dont notice the extent to which this is going on. I dont see it but would be ignorant to think there is not a problem. I saw the doco on ABC - very disturbing! and ive heard stories from Yorkes of bikies supplying kids with ice on credit to sell to their mates only to end up smoking the profits, getting in dept with the bad guys and doing crime along with losing their minds. All these seemingly beautiful Australian country towns with a dark side its scary for the future and especially for anyone with kids.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 4:54pm

I think part of the problem is people see a glass pipe being passed around and puffed on, They dont connect it with being that much different from smoking weed, only the high a first time user gets from ice vs weed is hugely different. Programmes like Breaking Bad dont really do much too help either, semi glamorizing the drug and its culture dosnt help.
When I first lived in OZ in melbourne 15 years ago it was Heroin that was out of control, sad thing is for society now is that a heroin addict is less dangerous than a meth addict.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 5:08pm
charles-barkley wrote:

A point i find interesting is that ice, meth etc doesn't have to exist. If someone in the know can please correct me if im wrong but this is the way i understand it:

The precursor "ephedrine'' can be found in several plants. However because it is synthesized now drug companies can produce tonnes of the shit. Countries like north Korea are cleaning up in the precursor trade. Homebake meth around your towns account for SFA of total production. International crime syndicates are cleaning up.

Coops70's picture
Coops70's picture
Coops70 Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 5:42pm

Apparently meth is legal in North Korea and they use it all the time as well as weed. I read this in zoo magazine so it has to be true ha ha

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 6:31pm
Sheepdog wrote:

The only ice down here is on Adamsons Peak...... The place that time forgot..... Very old school... Tonnes of pot..... Awash with buds...... Bushbud, boutique garden outdoor, indoor, you name it..... Pissheads too bigtime..... Lots of drinkdriving cos there's only one copper.... Lots of road accidents too.... Someone writing themselves off every fortnight......

Jesus Sheepy! You're joking aren't ya mate? You'd better open your eyes and lock your doors down our way.... You're dead on about the pissheads though.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 6:56pm

Maybe Huonville, wes..... Dunno..... But I'm a boring old c*nt that doesn't go out much anymore.....

Fuck all happens here, Wes..... Everyone knows if the local dog coughs up a fur ball, and who's rooting who's wife..........
The north of the island is awash with it I hear.....

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 7 Nov 2014 at 11:04pm

I've been a casual user of illicit drugs for a while..prob 10-15yrs...in my early days I felt the thrill of smashin' them all the time..thought I was 'cool' and with the 'in' crowd. Luckily it or they never got a hold of me. I could always go 6-12 months without seeing the stuff.
I only do it out of 'peer' pressure now I guess. If all the lads go out(which is 1-2times a year) we all get on it. Never injected or snorted or smoked ice/meth. only licked the shit. Guess I am a lucky one.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 2:00am
charles-barkley wrote:

Drugs like marijuana, cocaine & heroin will always exist because they or the stuff they are made from occurs naturally by growing in a plant. Meth on the other hand is made from ingredients that cannot simply be cooked up in your back yard. These ingredients come from industrial chemical factories that are making the stuff for cold and flu tablets etc. Just like Quaaludes which were a popular illicit drug back in the day no longer exits because governments got together and banned companies from making it. Meth / ice could effectively be wiped out if governments got together and banned companies from making the ingredients. It comes down to what is worse - the ice epidemic or life without cold and flu tablets - as well as some muli-government cooperation. I realise its not that simple but i believe its possible. Also for the record im not claiming a pharmaceutical company conspiracy theory.

I agree with Wellys statement that if ur not in the know then you probably dont notice the extent to which this is going on. I dont see it but would be ignorant to think there is not a problem. I saw the doco on ABC - very disturbing! and ive heard stories from Yorkes of bikies supplying kids with ice on credit to sell to their mates only to end up smoking the profits, getting in dept with the bad guys and doing crime along with losing their minds. All these seemingly beautiful Australian country towns with a dark side its scary for the future and especially for anyone with kids.

I,ve done a shitload of work in many of the multinational pharmaceutical companies production facilities in Vicco . 95% of the facilities are full on for security . Especially the ones that store medical grade heroin .
I,m sure there are loop holes for the staff ( to make a side income ) I was only ever a contractor so didn't see much that raised an eyebrow .
Although the hierarchy at a facility in Port Fairy did have me wondering . But my skepticism was probably seeded in urban myth , which surrounded the place which was born out of the Poppie fields they actually used to have on site .
Now only in Tassie do legal poppie farms operate . Which I find funny , as one of the only long term smackies I know ( yeah that's an oxymoron ) but it's got me fucked how he's survived this long . He recently moved down , fucker still surfs " or so I heard " !?!

Anyway , no Shaunio . I can't and don't .... Insomnia can be a " natural " occurring phenomena .
I physically ( chemically ) can't do drugs . I,m a maniac when occasionally on the piss , and caffeine sends me loopy .
Let's just say anything else is good for NO-ONE .......

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 7:13am
barley wrote:

I've been a casual user of illicit drugs for a while..prob 10-15yrs...in my early days I felt the thrill of smashin' them all the time..thought I was 'cool' and with the 'in' crowd.

All is explained

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 7:50am

Meth is the first drug that's really worried me, perhaps cos its rise in popularity coincide with me fathering three boys, but also cos it's the first drug that I really don't understand. Like many on here, curiosity and adventure, and perhaps a few personal issues also, led to me taking plenty of drugs when I was younger. I could make sense of them all; who used what for why, how they affected you, and what the dangers really were. I don't have any of that knowledge for meth.

A few of my friends smoke mull with their parents when they were growing up. A cousin had his dad, my uncle, ask him to buy ecstacy cos he was curious about it. My cousin obliged and they took it together. However, I just can't see that cross generational acceptance is possible with meth and, aside from other things, that makes an open dialogue hard.

I don't wanna be the kind of parent that just puts up a stonewall without providing any answers but, at this stage I don't have any. Hope it fucks off by the time my boys come of age.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 8:23am

Stu, your thoughts mirror mine. I've dabbled every now and then over the last 20 years, but I've never been a big user maybe few times a year . In the old days it was 'speed', then crystal started appearing, you couldn't get the old speed anymore. I've never smoked it or injected it. Some of my mates did and nearly all that went down that path are locked up, or have been locked up. It ruined their lives. Now ive got kids I don't look for it, sometimes it gets offered to me. This is where I have come undone a number of times, after a few beers it sounds like a good idea, two days later I'd wished I'd never done it.
I don't know much about the stuff, is it the same stuff as the old speed just less cut up? I'm over it now, it's just not worth it, I'll have the odd joint but that's about it.
I worry about the kids though, I suppose you just have raise them the best you can an hope they make the right choices, scary thing is I didn't a lot of the time. I consider myself lucky, I made it out the other side, I hope my kids do the same.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 10:05am

+1

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 10:29am

Scary thing is what to do with all these fried people when they get in their late 30's early 40's.My brother's old girlfriend worked in a physch hospital in England it was full to the brim with casualties of the E's and Wizz generation.Ice is cheap, plentiful and not going away soon.Same with Stu I have two lad's and it is a worry peer pressure stuff is a fact of life that we all have to go through at some point.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 10:32am

Fitzroy, how much of a problem is ice use in the commercial fishing industry ?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 11:32am

guys google icebrain,and checkout how much damage gets done to an ice brain.......there is going to be a whole generation of damaged kids incapable of holding a job and future is becoming vegetables...

crime has gone thru the roof here......burgs/bashing old people for a hit........if you have kids its up to each parent to educate themselves on the Aussie ice culture ..as the authorities are lost...police don't know what to do......but we worry about Syria/ebola.....and let the kids rot!!

I have seen 1st hand in Hawaii what 30 years of Ice culture has done...tent community's on the west side,kids addicted since birth.......then again maybe that's what our society has become!!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 12:43pm

'Scary thing is what to do with all these fried people when they get in their late 30's early 40's.'

They tend to write books about them and turn them into surfing heroes.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 12:48pm
salt wrote:

Stu, your thoughts mirror mine. I've dabbled every now and then over the last 20 years, but I've never been a big user maybe few times a year . In the old days it was 'speed', then crystal started appearing, you couldn't get the old speed anymore. I've never smoked it or injected it. Some of my mates did and nearly all that went down that path are locked up, or have been locked up. It ruined their lives. Now ive got kids I don't look for it, sometimes it gets offered to me. This is where I have come undone a number of times, after a few beers it sounds like a good idea, two days later I'd wished I'd never done it.
I don't know much about the stuff, is it the same stuff as the old speed just less cut up? I'm over it now, it's just not worth it, I'll have the odd joint but that's about it.
I worry about the kids though, I suppose you just have raise them the best you can an hope they make the right choices, scary thing is I didn't a lot of the time. I consider myself lucky, I made it out the other side, I hope my kids do the same.

Gday, salt....... You write "I don't know much about the stuff, is it the same stuff as the old speed just less cut up?"
Well, man, from what I can gather, it's speed, but super dooper strong..... If speed was leaf and tip, then ice would be super skunk with a big spot of hash mixed in...... "speed concentrate" so to speak....
Both speed and ice are amphetamine.....
Back when I was a youngn', you'd see people having a few lines "in the kitchen at parties" lol... Yeah, had a few lines once in a blue moon when offered, but was usually already pissed when doing so.... It just seemed to make you drink more, dance longer, and make you feel like total shit the next day ( probably due to drinking more and dancing longer lol)....

It seems all drugs are supercharged now, not just speed..... Having not partaken in smoking pot now for years and years, I can only pass on heresay when I here that some of the buds getting around now are so juiced up with thc, they'd knock out an elephant......
So we got supercharged skunk, supercharged speed (ice) and god knows what else.. At the same time, youngn's aren't drinking to get pissed... They're drinking to the point of alcoholic poisoning.... Perhaps this all reflects the modern scene, where conversation, interaction and the like has been lost somewhat, and has been replaced with selfys, sms, and utube.....
Long gone are the days of a bunch of mates and chicks sitting around a bonfire out at Kadanga, sinkin' a few jimmys, a few bongs, listening to the angels, and laughing and huggn' till the early hours.... Then wake up to the sound of butcher birds and the smell of bacon and eggs on the fire.......

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 12:57pm

@ Udo, I personally haven't had any first hand exposure or experience with it, but talking to mates up north there is some issues but it seems pretty isolated. You get some people that jump on the boats to try and get away from the culture and clean their act up, save some coin and get a new start. It works for some.

The commercial industry up our way has, and is, cleaning up its act and becoming more "professional" compared to when I started out, but back then it was just dope, speed and a touch of hammer. And of course the piss. Not saying that any of them are harmless either. I don't think it is any better or worse than other industries.

As with the comments above, I've listened to people, watched programs and read up a bit about it and to be honest, it scares me, particularly because I have young kids. It's probably the unknown chemicals and shit as well as the long term issues. Mind you, I reckon our parents were just as fearful too of the drugs around our generation when we were growing up.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 1:38pm
uplift wrote:

'Scary thing is what to do with all these fried people when they get in their late 30's early 40's.'

They tend to write books about them and turn them into surfing heroes.

wow uppity once again amazing contribution on the subject....but I guess the roiders and icemiters....you all go hand in hand!!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 2:31pm

" Mind you, I reckon our parents were just as fearful too of the drugs around our generation when we were growing up."

Gday, fitzy.... Yeah. I reckon you're right...... "Evil weed with roots in hell"....

BTW, remember the road toll back in the 70s and before.... Horrific.... Alcohol........ I've seen piss do some horrible things to people, not just the person taking the alcohol, but those around them...... freely available over the counter.... Bashed wives, bashed children, molested children, raped women, glassings, ruined homes, destroyed careers, innocent folk mangled in car wrecks...... Still the biggest social issue today......
1 in 7 young Australians who die will die an alcohol related death...
3500 people will die this year due to alcohol....
There will be over 80 000 people admitted to hospital this year, due to an alcohol related assault or accident.....

Latest study on ice I could find showed 371 meth related deaths in one year (2009)

No use worrying about the tip of the "ice" berg.......

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 3:05pm

Thats too much sheepster. Grog is the cultural drug of choice. Plus the economy. So its not a drug. Not addictive. Is controllable and has no effect when used in moderation. So all the drinkers just stop drinking then. They can't, too addicted. Sugar is worse.

And they do turn them into icons and write the books. Kids love em, wanna be just like them. I don't like roids and drugs in sport. 99% of people inadvertantly follow training and nutrition regimes of famous drug addicts. Which are useless, even detrimental without the drugs. So knowledge is limited. Or don't use the drugs. The world champion marathoner, another 'innocent' just got busted. Deluxe training routines, and nutrition. You should try them! Idiots. How come all the others can run that fast... surely no!!! Not the aussies anyway!!!

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 5:39pm

@ those dudes above, fitzy 21 etc, raising kids and are worried about meth/drugs in general.
After having 1st hand experience raising a now nearly 20 year old who took me and the missus through hell and back, I can offer this outlook.
It dosnt matter how open the lines (no pun intended) of communication are to your child, it dosnt matter how much good solid advice you can give them from your own life experience, it dosnt matter how much you tell them you love them and worry about them, bottom line(no pun intended) is '' if they run with dogs, they'll get fleas''.
Buy these books by Nigel Latta and watch his TV programmes on you tube. He knows his shit and will help you navigate the scariest ride of your life. He is a forensic child psychologist who works with the saddest cases in life but writes in a style that is entertaining and understandable to the layman, not all academic and nerdfest, Seriously get amoungst his books if you are raising kids.

http://books.google.co.nz/books/about/Before_Your_Teenagers_Drive_You_Cr...

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 6:21pm

I have a question.
I've watched the 'Storm Surfers" and was wondering if anyone associated, had of known if TC was ???? during these times...? Even in NZ...? The "P"............?
Regarding comments from above, people and close friends can be obilivios to it.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 6:52pm

On the selfish upside of meth use in my surf community, most blokes on the burn dont surf anymore so less critters in the line up.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 7:17pm

I stopped drinking, uplift, when cartons hit $30....... 2002 I think it was..... It was piss easy..... Lost a lot of "friends", though..... You don't realise how entrenched sinking piss is in the Ozzie psyche until you abstain.... People think there's something "weird" about you when you rock up to a barby with six pack of Bundaberg ginger beer..... The downer of not drinking is boredom.... Sitting around listening to people slurring ... (Shit, that used to be me!! lol)

Amazing how sharp your reflexes become too when you stop.... Hungover mates getting pitched in 3 foot sunday morning beachbreaks is a funny thing...... And it's great having healthy shits, and a hard cock whilst ya mates are falling apart in their 40s......

Addiction is a medical problem..... I'd rather a meth head be able to go to his doctor and get a script. He can then go to his chemist daily and get his hit instead of having to roll someone for money... At the same time, the medical fraternity can work on the addict......
Prohibition just makes criminal gangs rich....
The only issue I see with the legalisation of drugs is...... what do the criminal gangs do then? A major cash cow taken away..... There will always be criminals.... What do they trade in then? More bank scamming? counterfeit durries? Slave trade? guns? Standover merchants?
Perhaps keeping drugs illegal is like the devil you know.........

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 7:49pm

Funny how you go through phases, i use to love getting on the piss, id look forward to it everyday just hanging for the weekend or on the Goldie the weekend started on Thursdays at the Edge.

Now i only have a few beers socially and only time ill get on the piss proper is for a big event or when seeing a band and i feel so much better for it, so much healthier, sometimes even the thought of getting on the piss even makes me feel sick just thinking of the hangover that now last day, although I'm the kinda person once i start i can't stop.

Most of my mates though still go hard just like they always have, god knows how, although i think its more coke than sped these days.

Haven't really noticed the meth thing around here and its funny i don't associate it with speed when i guess yeah technically its is just turbo charged speed, i did a lot of that shit when i lived on the Goldie, although i wasn't really into it a lot of guys i hung out with were (and everything else) a few dealed also so after a few beers it was always on offer and always free, never had it when not drinking though for me it was only about getting more off it or getting more amped, or just that edge to ensure it was a big night and not drink myself straight.

After some pretty heavy years of partying, i got hit by depression pretty bad, at the time i never associated it with speed or even binge drinking a few times a week but in hindsight maybe it was a factor, maybe more so the speed.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 9:04pm

Took the dog for a walk around the block an hour ago. Walked pasted 3 houses where there were obviously very pissed people partying on. Also passed a old codger getting behind the wheel with a tinny in his hand while a younger woman and baby were climbing into the car (granddad taking his daughter and granddaughter home??) And what is it with people throwing empties out the window? The longer you stay off the piss the more you realise Australia is awash with it. Seen lots of pissheads raise kids to be just like them too.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 10:28pm

I drink, probably too much. Mainly beer and wine. Never been a spirit drinker really. I've calmed down heaps in the last few years, the thought of wasting a whole or even half a day feeling shitfull, has made me so. Nothing worse than missing a surf, sleeping the booze off. I've gone to mid strengths, that way I can still a few and keep my head. The switch in my head that says fuck it I'll have another after four beers doesn't happen so much. I stop and have a cup of tea......most times.
Like indo, My use of chemicals has always been about getting amped and not falling over pissed. I've Never worried about addiction, never thought of it like I have viewed heroin for example, but After seeing some of the docos lately ...... Wow that shit is bad news. My mates that got hooked on it turned to crime first, then started cooking it, that's when the real heavy shit went down. They then had it on tap and had to associate with some nasty crew. Like I said earlier their lives are ruined as are the lives of their families.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Saturday, 8 Nov 2014 at 10:32pm

Binge drinking is a huge part of OZ and NZ culture, not sure if it was the done thing in OZ but in my day on your 21st birthday bash you HAD to skull a yard glass, to not do a yardie was paramount to admitting you had a set of flaps between your legs. Pretty sure this tradition is dissapearing though.
Any one else peel a yardie on their 21st. ?