Medina vs Hedge: a time to claim and a time to surf

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 2:01pm

In Heat 6 of Round 3 Nathan Hedge paddled into the first wave of a meaty set, got himself thoroughly barrelled and made the channel. Being the heart-on-sleeve frother that he is Hedgey then claimed the wave 1, 2, 3 times as he turned off the wave slowly losing speed while heading towards the flotilla.

Very next wave Gabs gets an equally good wave, also gets spat to the channel, and also claims it. Hedge gets 9.27, Gabs 9.77 but there's more than 0.50 difference in the wave.

Spotting Hedgey taking his time in the channel absorbing the cheers, Medina quickly glides over the back and cuts Hedgey off. It's an almost arrogant act, like flying out on the face to cutback and spray your opponent in the face, except there's a simple reason for Medina's behaviour: to regain priority. Despite catching the second wave Medina took advantage of Hedgey's tardiness and got himself out the back quicker. The young Brazo scored the priority and took the next set, scoring 8.93 and controlling the heat.

It's a harsh assessment but Hedgey lost priority for putting too much into his claim.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 2:44pm

As much as Gab is far from my favourite surfer, it's that sort of hunger that's going to get him that world title.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 2:48pm

Gotta admit I didn't really see the true meaning behind Gabs' quick flick off until now. He's a smart cookie.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 2:49pm

Yep, exactly. There's a moment where Gabs is celebrating the barrel but he recognises Hedgey is lagging, so he quickly drops his arm and goes into competition mode. Imagine getting spat out of a huge Chopes barrel and having the presence of mind to do that?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 25 Aug 2014 at 2:55pm

Goes to show how hungry for success the Brazilians really are. If he wins the title this year, good on him, he deserves it.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 29 Aug 2014 at 11:24am

I hope if he does win the title he gets the props he deserves from Aussies and Americans alike. The fella may be a little more choosey as we saw first hand at snapper and more recent at chopes (although no one can deny he didn't get a few bombs in that final), but he's smart, its a sport not a freesurf.............champions have been playing the game for eons............MP used to study the points guide to know how many flicks or turns to do to get the points he needed. In such a condition dependent and luck driven ''sport'' you'd be bad not to try and get the balance in your favour somehow.

Gabby will be incredibly hard to stop now. Good on ya fella.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 29 Aug 2014 at 2:27pm

Good pick up Stu. Slater/Fanning/Medina - what do they have in common? Competitive hunger and more world titles on the way. Success in life is 20% talent & 80% passion. Go Gab!

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Friday, 29 Aug 2014 at 9:04pm

How was the claiming going on in the quarter, i think it was with Gabs vs Kolohe and the paddling up the reef! i was thinking, shit, just get on with it , that was absolutely farcical.... none of those waves were anything close to the bombs that jjf or Owen were nonchalantly shrugging off, and these two kids are trying to out -claim each other on 4-5 footers as if that's what is being scored! then in his heat against Bede , Bede just let's him go the first one and he gets a smoker and looks unstoppable. He seems to have the other surfers bamboozled as soon as the heat starts and it's certainly working for him.
Personally i thought good on him he's made the final surfing smart and dodging sets but then the bigger waves of Gabs in the final he was kinda poo- manning just gunning for the channel and they looked kinda awkward, (not that i would have gone but its my opinion). The competitive savvy of the little turd can not be questioned!
Begs the question is the leader of the world title race at the moment the best surfer?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 29 Aug 2014 at 9:50pm

Best competitive surfer at the very least.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 29 Aug 2014 at 10:05pm

Unless Gabs starts competing in the same sport as everyone around him ... He may win a world title or two , but unless he changes his tact Bruce Irons will be more fondly remembered for what he's done in the sport than Gabs .
I hope Ricardo , Carlos or some other Sth American charger will take him under his wing soon , and teach him to be a matador . Then I will keep watching the finals he makes . This is me trying to be inspiring not degrading . Amazing talent , lacks style , certain flow and nonchalant self belief .

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Friday, 29 Aug 2014 at 10:08pm

Even Slater the king of the mind F@#K didn't seem find his legs until late in the heat, same with Nat Young in Fiji final who i have never seen rattled previously! is it just Gabs wants it more than say Jules, Jordy, JJF or is there something else to it? and what approach to a heat against him could possibly work? matching his rate of annoying claims as Kolohe tried is obviously not the key!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 29 Aug 2014 at 10:52pm

I personally think if JJ had have surfed in the final rather than Kelly, the result would have been different.

But, as I mentioned above, Gabs surfed smart, made his waves and had a sound strategy. That's all he needed (that and a supreme amount of natural talent).

Tiger Papa Charlie must have been so proud.