Back Pain- New Research!

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:20pm

All you advocates of stretching and users of the latest gym gear might like to take a look at this.

http://www.jsams.org/article/S1440-2440(13)00181-3/abstract#/article/S1440-2440(13)00181-3/fulltext?mobileUi=1

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:22pm

80% of us get it at some point!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:26pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:25pm

Nothin there blindy

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:28pm

It's working now

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:29pm

Just edited your post BB to get it working.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:30pm

Here we go again.............guess who will arguelift

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:32pm

Thanks Craig! I wondered what happened.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 5:37pm

Blindboy , as Stu stated in another thread , how many people actually hurt themselves training or train in an incorrect manner therefore rendering themselves more prone to injury ? Also many people , such as myself , train in a manner that will not prevent injury due to complete lack of technique or inappropriate exercises.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 6:06pm

I think there is more to it than that Blowin' particularly with the machines. I have been skeptical of them for a long time. My own experience is that a good training regime makes a huge difference. I am in my sixties now and I really don't think I would still be surfing if I hadn't trained over the years. I also know that this year, with a better regime, my surfing improved greatly.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 6:22pm

Definitely Blindboy, I've only recently embarked on a training regimen and am feeling like a new man. I'm not a fan of the machines either, way too contrived. Without wanting to sound patronising, every time I see a surfer of a more advanced age than myself I'm inspired and relieved that I won't necessarily be sinking beers at a bowls somewhere due to inability to get out there.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 at 7:50pm

Beautifully googled udesless.

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 7:20am

muscle wank - 2,400,000 results beautifully googled sir

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 9:36am

Wow this report is not rocket science.
Machines do not allow the body to move & co-ordinate movement the way that it should.
Think of any mechanical joint in any machine eventually all mechanical joints need to be replaced think cars.
When we put ourselves into a muscle machine we become a mechanical joint part of the machine what happens. We wear out.
Stretching do we need it. YES
The big Question is how often the bigger question is how do you actually stretch.
Can someone answer this question. If your lower back is stiff & sore how do you stretch it. What exercises can you perform to relieve it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 10:31am

Hang from chin bar .

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 11:05am

do u udo at best your allowing fluids to enter your joints that will for about 24 to 48hrs of less restrictive movement.
do we call that the batman
batman

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 11:06am
Blinkers off wrote:

Can someone answer this question. If your lower back is stiff & sore how do you stretch it. What exercises can you perform to relieve it.

In a lot of cases, lower back pain is caused by tight hamstrings. It happened to me, physio gave me some stretches which fixed it in a couple of days.
Somebody put this Eric Goodman link on another thread here a while ago, many thanks whoever it was, I've been doing the workout almost every day it's excellent.

&feature=kp

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 11:21am

Blinkers it seems to work for me , can you explain a tad more on the fluid entering joints bit.

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 4:11pm

Have banged on about this once before. The modern epidemic of back pain and problems has a lot to do with the amount of cotton and synthetic clothes we wear nowdays. Use wool singlets or garments and be a aware of sweating and windchill. Google Coolgardie safe and apply the same principle to stepping out of a hot car sweaty t-shirt and checking the surf with a nice off shore instant chills on the back muscles and then the spasms start. Being aware is a hell of a lot easier than an endless exercise regime.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 7:17pm

Blinkers if your lower back is stiff and sore then it is probably from either over use or some minor soft tissue injury. In either case my experience is that nothing beats rest for the first 24 hours followed by careful mobilisation, cat stretches and so on, slowly increasing the intensity back to normal over several days. If the pain is acute and intense I suggest bed rest, analgesia and maybe a scan to rule out serious damage before you start mobilising. But then again I have a low pain threshold and, not being a professional athlete, I do not feel any great need to rush back into action.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 7:34pm

Succinctly put Blindboy . I really need this information tattooed on my forehead. Such simplicity , yet I feel the need to relearn it every time I experience a lumber drama. Great advice .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 1 Aug 2014 at 7:37pm

Blowin' if I had taken my own advice a couple of years ago I would have avoided a week flat on my back in a bamboo hut staring at the ceiling!

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 9:09am

Blindboy thankyou for your good advice however I do not have lower back pain I was simply trying to provoke some discussion.

Udo between each Vertebrae we have the disc which Is a spongy and water filled sack on the outside of Vertebrae we have the Facet joints between each of these is a synovial sack full of synovial fluid the spaces between each Facet joint is quite small.
When you hang you open up those joints a little more than normal thus allowing a greater amount of fluid to enter the region and re lubricate your joints.
When these sacks and your discs are dehydrated you are at high risk of injury or at the least creating an inflammatory response that will make muscles spasm.

Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off's picture
Blinkers off Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 9:14am

Oh sticky please you mention wool are you from across the ditch

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Saturday, 2 Aug 2014 at 6:04pm

Close the little ditch was lucky enough to come across a. Guru of a naturapath 30 years ago and this guy was already in his late 60s then. He had devoted his life to alternate healing.

tasuangle758's picture
tasuangle758's picture
tasuangle758 Friday, 22 Aug 2014 at 1:25pm

Once your system, bones, muscles, nerves and other soft tissues are made. If you rely on the body's workhorse back and neck pain. If not treated early, short term and long term - because, in the back more vulnerable to injury and back pain relief

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 22 Aug 2014 at 9:55pm

That's all very good, but represents a statistical analysis, makes no attempt to make a case for causation versus correlation, and will be misunderstood by 97% of people who read it.

To paraphrase, it has found a statistical link, nothing more.

Personally, I like the weight machines. If used correctly they make it much more likely that you will adopt correct posture while doing the weights.

Not that free weights aren't good. It's just easier with those weight machines.

debramccoy's picture
debramccoy's picture
debramccoy Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 at 5:11pm

It is okay sometime

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 10:46am
chin wrote:

Somebody put this Eric Goodman link on another thread here a while ago, many thanks whoever it was, I've been doing the workout almost every day it's excellent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI&feature=kp

If the lower back pain is anything like what I used to get about 7 years ago ( but cured completely) then that bunch of exercises is only going to make it worse.

Mine was tightness in the Gluteus Maximus muscles (not hamstrings as i had suspected). The pain was debilitating, even when resting, but I cured it in about 3 days via a certain exercise.

Surfers are unlikely to have weak lower back muscles due to paddling, and strengthening them by arching like that will only tighten them more unless other exercises are done as well.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 6:36pm

Goodman exercises not arching..but neutral back, retracted scap, and hip hinging.....it's more teaching a functional movement pattern than strengthening the back.

Horses for courses though...everyones pain is different.....but ongoing back pain doesn't necessarily weak back. But can be chronic tight muscles due to poor movement patterns in other areas such as hips. Lower back is compensating. Chronic tight muscles equals poor blood flow equals nerve aggravation and subsequent pain.

seansterb's picture
seansterb's picture
seansterb Wednesday, 28 Oct 2015 at 6:06pm

Hi,

Allopathic medicines work magivcally for reducing pain., but if you take this for a long duration of time, then be ready to face it's aftereffects that may manifest later. that is why i always recommend natural pain killer for reducing the pain. these products are made from natural ingredients

markus55's picture
markus55's picture
markus55 Thursday, 29 Oct 2015 at 12:39am

backpain doesn't exist anymore when you have "oldmanstrength"

chuck Norris has it..... clint eastwood had it, .......and now I've got it.

urbandictionary describes it as the insane strength you get when you turn 40 after spending years lifting boulders or chopping wood

so stop winging and get your oldmanstrength.....

PS you wont find it in the gym. you gotta get it the hard way.

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Sunday, 29 Jan 2017 at 12:43pm

I used to have a fair amount of back pain.
I worked a desk job for 5 years and maintained a heavy sporting schedule, and was getting lots of lower back pain by the last couple of years. I saw a few physios, did yoga - a bunch of stuff but nothing completely fixed it.

Cue trip to a CHEK practitioner and a physio (they corresponded with each other). They got me doing a fair amount of quad and hip flexor stretching to correct muscle imbalance (quads were super short from sitting and playing sport that made them stronger), followed by basic movement stuff to get correct muscle groups firing properly. Once they were happy with all that they got me into more intense core work and free weight stuff, including squatting and deadlifts etc.

The back got especially better once I started teaching high school full time - going from 8 hrs a day in a chair to barely 2, plus constant mobility. I do wonder whether switching jobs would have been enough to loosen up the muscle imbalance on its own, but regardless, the CHEK work has been really good for gaining strength, as well as improving mental health, and educating me about my own body and proper technique - stuff I was fumbling with before.

Now my back feels solid again - it gets stiff if I've been spending too much time in a car or on a computer, but that loosens up with some activity and there is no real pain.

It makes me appreciate that Socrates quote: “No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Sunday, 29 Jan 2017 at 1:24pm

Correct technique is tough with freeweights because you need to engage all the supportive muscles, but that's the major benefit of it; It gets the whole system firing as one big support network.

Most movements outside of the gym aren't isolated, so why train your system to function without all the supports we have evolved to utilise?