Eyre Hwy Road Rage Attack

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer started the topic in Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 9:58pm

Mind your manners when driving on the West Coast of South Australia. There's some nutters out there!
I heard about this incident not long after it happened. I'm almost certain the victim is a sometime contributor to these forums. Being chased by a crazed gunman while driving at 200km per hour, bullets whizzing past, it really is like the Wild West over there sometimes!
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-18/driver-phones-in-panic-seeking-...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 6:14am

Fucken wimp that road rage asshole, pulling out a gun and scaring the fucks outta that young lad . That would be quite traumatic . About 15 yrs ago i was involved in a rage in margarets this guy drivin like a madman around a corner wrong side of road nearly head on into me so i gave him the middle finger . He u turned and chased me then forced me off the road then jumped out come up to my door and punched me in face . Afterwards i couldnt work out why i didnt lock my door and windows up . Had girlfrend in car at time so i felt quite disturbed how I'd been totally beaten and didnt fight back or avoid it all . Hope karma got him for me

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 6:30am

It was quite obvious that my attacker hadnt slept for a few days , his eyes were popping out like saucers .

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 6:45am

Best to just shake your head and just keep driving, giving the finger will never improve their attitude.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 7:36am

"Speed Loader"......? Sounds like the speed loader was not only for his gun.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 8:26am

Yeah crustt have learned a few lessons the hard way for sure.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 8:52am

Fuck that was Zephatalian in the road rage incident.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 9:18am

Why would somebody out of the blue choose to chase you down and fire a gun at you.

I'm glad Zeph is ok but be interested to know what preceded that.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 9:29am

This news article goes into more detail about what went down. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-17/man-admits-firing-five-shots-in...

Sounds Heavy!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 9:30am

I wasnt suggesting he provoked it . Story says he was driving a bit under the limit

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 9:32am

Aha there you go . Yorkey put the link just before i posted

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 10:06am

Wow, what a fucking psycho. He couldn't just overtake and be on his way?

And the lawyer, " There was not a bullet that went anywhere near the victim - his car, yes, the victim, no," he said. "Being silly, yes, taking somebody's life, no."

I think if a bullet went pretty close to my car then it's way too close to me.

Poor Zeph, that would rattle someone for a long time. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong nutjob. Hope they jail the tool and take the guns off him for life.

Thanks for the link Yorkes.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 2:50pm

Radical situation, but Kimba is not the West Coast of SA, and the guy was from Perth.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 21 Jul 2014 at 12:45pm

Wow, heavy account of what went down, what an absolute nut case.

Couldn't imagine what Zeph would of been feeling out there, sometimes you don't pass another car for hours, and to have some psycho shooting at you in the wet, crazy!

This quote from his lawyer is just stupid!

"Being silly, yes, taking somebody's life, no."

Silly, yeah right, hitting someone with your car and then shooting at them!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 21 Jul 2014 at 1:10pm

Shouldn't have gone off his meds........

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 21 Jul 2014 at 8:27pm

There are more fresh newspaper articles on this . I can't link to them ( and would prefer not to seeing atleast two have photo's of " our Zeph " .
Anyway the accused of Perth is an ex soldier and was heading to Adelaide to visit his " new " grand daughter , and also shoot some feral goats with the father of his new lineage .
Also he states that he feared for himself and his wife that was with him .... Strange story , not unlike many others I have heard of in remote parts of our land ....
For my money , carrying guns is fine , storing them close at hand is never a good idea ...
Better having it somewhere inaccessible to others .
Anyway , would be good to hear an interview by Craig or Stu with Zeph , once this is finished with !

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 4:49pm

Verdict has come through and he's been found guilty. Sentencing in 6 weeks.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 6:53pm

Think I heard on SA ABC radio the other day, that the charge had been changed from attempted murder, to endangering life (or something like that)...

Is that true? Anybody know?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 8:32pm

Nah moth it was attempted murder. Here's the latest link from the ABC. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-25/wa-shooter-in-sa-road-rage-atta...

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 9:24pm

Thanks mate,
hope the winter weather pattens are treating you well.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 9:34pm

Hey moth you getting waves down there?

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 10:00pm

Me get waves? Think you got the wrong person cam.

Climbed down the cliff twice this week after work, getting told how good it's been all day by people climbing back up, just to paddle out as the wind turned.

Full time work is over-rated.

Atleast I wasn't getting shot at.

Fuck, one in a million getting shot at on the eyre highway... Every day event on the gaza strip.

Maybe missing lotsa surf isn't so bad....

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 10:31pm

Lawyer: "The evidence will show that the accused is a man who has the right to carry guns... he is not new to guns."
Pretty sure the evidence would clearly suggest that the accused should not have a right to carry guns. Isn't it worse that he has a license to carry guns? What a fuckhead of a lawyer.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Friday, 25 Jul 2014 at 10:58pm

They aren't payed to have morals.

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Saturday, 26 Jul 2014 at 10:21am

thats fucked up....a TAFE Lecturer ? WTF....well they are being squeezed pretty hard by this gov, expect to see a few of them lose their jobs in the near future

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 8:13am

Only the people involved know what really went on but maybe that zepha guy was deliberately driving slow to piss them off which a lot of people do for some strange reason and the guy had enough of his bullshit. A lot of people these days seem to want to drive like dickheads when ur next to them on the road, they speed up and slow down to block u, won't let u in to a lane even with ur indicator on, everyone thinks they are in a race or something. Most drivers in adelaide are wankers and think they can fuck with people on the road and be safe from harm in their car but when someone doesn't put up with their shit they run scared like a little girl... Think about how u drive be considerate to other drivers and maybe u won't get abused or punched or shot at, hahaha...

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 8:25am

One minute he's saving fuel the next he's doin 200 k's an hour, if he was just driving slow don't u think they would just overtake and keep goin? You don't get shot at for no reason at all...
Driving down pt.Wakefield rd there's a guy in the right lane doing 80k in a 110 zone with his high beams on,
I overtake in the left lane and he leaves his high beam on me so I slow down go behind and give him some high beam all still goin 80 in the right lane, no consideration to get in the left lane going slow and not turning high beam off. So I'm behind him with my high beam on for about 2km and he decides to turn them off but stay in the right lane. So I overtake again in the left lane and he puts his high beam back on me, so I slow back down wind my window down and give them some abuse, finally they turn high beam off cos I ain't gonna take that shit from inconsiderate wankers, that's why people get beaten up and shot at...

mcbain's picture
mcbain's picture
mcbain Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 8:51am
OLD MATE wrote:

Only the people involved know what really went on but maybe that zepha guy was deliberately driving slow to piss them off which a lot of people do for some strange reason and the guy had enough of his bullshit. A lot of people these days seem to want to drive like dickheads when ur next to them on the road, they speed up and slow down to block u, won't let u in to a lane even with ur indicator on, everyone thinks they are in a race or something. Most drivers in adelaide are wankers and think they can fuck with people on the road and be safe from harm in their car but when someone doesn't put up with their shit they run scared like a little girl... Think about how u drive be considerate to other drivers and maybe u won't get abused or punched or shot at, hahaha...

Almost there...

mcbain's picture
mcbain's picture
mcbain Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 8:52am
OLD MATE wrote:

One minute he's saving fuel the next he's doin 200 k's an hour, if he was just driving slow don't u think they would just overtake and keep goin? You don't get shot at for no reason at all...
Driving down pt.Wakefield rd there's a guy in the right lane doing 80k in a 110 zone with his high beams on,
I overtake in the left lane and he leaves his high beam on me so I slow down go behind and give him some high beam all still goin 80 in the right lane, no consideration to get in the left lane going slow and not turning high beam off. So I'm behind him with my high beam on for about 2km and he decides to turn them off but stay in the right lane. So I overtake again in the left lane and he puts his high beam back on me, so I slow back down wind my window down and give them some abuse, finally they turn high beam off cos I ain't gonna take that shit from inconsiderate wankers, that's why people get beaten up and shot at...

Yep you did it...you went the full 'tard...

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 8:59am

You must be one of those inconsiderate drivers that thinks its ok to drive like a wanker

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 9:06am

Yeah old mate, nothing like fighting wank with wank. We're all happy for you that you proved yourself to be the biggest wanker on the the road that night.:-))

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 9:08am
OLD MATE wrote:

You don't get shot at for no reason at all...

Erm, poor driving techniques or not, the bloke fired a gun at Zeph, at close range. Using real, live bullets. The kind that kill people. Dunno how you can be so dismissive of this minor fact!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 9:11am

Probably view it a bit different if it was your dear ol mum,wife or daughter in zephs position eh oldmate?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 9:27am

On someone else's Facebook , I saw an article that actually had a link to the real phone calls to police ...
I thought this was illegal ?!?!
Anyway , it describes how Zeph believed that he had shot the car or it's fuel tank . As he could smell petrol while careening along at 180 .
Not a " high beam " fight by any stretch of the imagination . Who carries a gun underneath their seat ?!
And a fully loaded " quick loader " ... It doesn't sound right to me ... One or the other , or both have omitted details ... My money is on someone that carries a gun under their seat !!!!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 9:32am

And not one, but three guns Southey...

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 10:24am

The fuel tank was definitely shot thats why Zeph's fuel run out. Lucky it didn't explode! There's a story on the Adelaide Now website with pictures of the bullet hole in the tank, the Smith&Wesson gun that looks like something Dirty Harry uses and the transcript of the 000 phone call to police. It's harrowing! I could put a link but there's a picture of Zeph so not sure I should. It's easy enough to find if you want to check it out.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 10:39am

Shooting the fuel tank! Bloody hell. 

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 10:42am

Bullet into fuel tank = explosion is a fallacy.

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 10:54am
morris wrote:

Yeah old mate, nothing like fighting wank with wank. We're all happy for you that you proved yourself to be the biggest wanker on the the road that night.:-))

Was that you that night was it? How am I the biggest wanker on the road that night, I wasnt leaving my high beam on driving 80 in the fast lane in a 110 zone when people overtook me so they are blinded and might crash you dickhead. Some people need a dose of their own medicine to wake them up.

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 10:52am
udo wrote:

Probably view it a bit different if it was your dear ol mum,wife or daughter in zephs position eh oldmate?

My mum, wife, daughter, cousin whoever wouldn't be driving to provoke someone in the first place. If u think it doesn't happen then u are probly the one doing it and blind. Can't tell me no one else hasn't had to deal with a wanker on the road at some stage? Most people think what I say but too scared to say it... I would hate to see you where I grew up in croatia, most of u would curl into a ball and cry for mummy...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:04am

Cruising at low speed to conserve fuel is hardly provoking someone.....Zeph was driving too slow oh well look ahead all clear indicate overtake and carry on with your journey, fuck its the west coast of S.A. not Sydney traffic. Croatian born ....not our problem.

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:04am

Try living in a war torn country where people get shot at everyday just because of their nationality or colour of their skin. And if someone did that to a friend or relative of mine they would want to make sure I don't find them cos karma is real... Yes real bullets, why would he use fake ones? Maybe he is an angry psycho just lookin for someone to shoot that day for the fun of it ay, 2 sides to every story but wot is the real one?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:04am

Exactly, 80km/h on stretches of roads that go on for kilometres without bends. Would of been past him in seconds to never be seen again. Psycho.

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:08am
Craig wrote:

Exactly, 80km/h on stretches of roads that go on for kilometres without bends. Would of been past him in seconds to never be seen again. Psycho.

Wrong, would have had high beam in my mirror for kilometers on straight road with no bends, think about it dude, would u appreciate it? Is that safe and considerate driving?

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:11am
udo wrote:

Cruising at low speed to conserve fuel is hardly provoking someone.....Zeph was driving too slow oh well look ahead all clear indicate overtake and carry on with your journey, fuck its the west coast of S.A. not Sydney traffic. Croatian born ....not our problem.

Not gonna argue with closed minded people, but I said maybe he was deliberately driving slow to piss them off and his lawyer came up with that excuse for him... We don't know the full story and weren't there so we can't really say he was driving slow to save petrol or to annoy someone can we... Just believe what the media write and that must be true, bahahaha...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:16am

Croation built cars don't have dimming rear view mirrors, or they do but some drivers just don't know that.

spori mislilac.

vascectomy-blottmouth's picture
vascectomy-blottmouth's picture
vascectomy-blot... Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:18am

ahhhahaahaha! Who is this chump???

If you overtake someone doing 80 and you're doing 110, how long do their high beams affect you? All of what, 30 seconds? Just flip the rear view mirror to dim the lights, keep driving and it's all over straight away.

Or, you can get cranky, slow down again and waste your own time looking for the fight you think you richly deserve. You can do this by slowing down and flashing your lights at someone, hitting the brakes in front of them, or of course shooting out their petrol tank. Excellent!

Seriously mate, that kind of thing happens to me, I would say 2 or 3 times a week because yeah, people can't drive very well. But if you take your hand off it and keep driving, there's really no problem unless you create it.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:23am

OLD MATE, I was referring to the Zeph incident re the guy with the gun overtaking him in seconds. Not your story. You've gotta relax a little mate.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 11:59am

Udo ,
the initial bullet into a fuel tank especially full isn't a bad as you say for an explosion .
however considering he was fanging along the exhaust would of been extremely warm .
not to mention a second bullet createing a spark or significant hotspot to ignite the fuel spilling.
Zeph , was probably just lucky it was raining / wet .
Ben , nothing wrong with a Quiver of Guns !!!? ;-)
One for going large / long range shots ( rifle ) , one for vermin cheap ammo and large spread ( shotty ) , and of course massive calibre pistol for waving around and scaring the fuck out of everyone on the road . :-( ....
the choice of standover men and psychopaths Aust . wide ....
If this was a some sort of foul play or other story and standard city fare , then those psychopaths would be packin , semi or fully automatics machine guns ...
I'd rather deal with this than the rats in your city ....... still just shows how sick society is becoming . near and far ...

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 12:18pm

I used to do the Zeph approach as well 80 to 90 max no rush.Has this happened to anyone else ?Was driving out past Augusta heading towards Iron Knob cruising along middle of the night.Headlights appear from behind it's a truck no worries finally catches up and overtakes I dim my highbeam no probs let it go at least 500 or more turn beams back on next thing truck beams a big fuck off blinding light back at us.I turn beams off truck turns off his let him go further again turn my beams back on and again with the fuck off back spotty's.This went on five or six times.Old mate should look into that as a way of combating filthy slow pokes on his commute.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 28 Jul 2014 at 12:29pm

Haven't heard of that happening, but do know that even when a car is very far ahead, high-beams still do come full on and with force. So if I can see tail lights ahead at all, I always have then switched off.