Who's the best writer out there, in surfing, under forty?

peterb's picture
peterb started the topic in Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 4:18pm

- and wouldn't be good if names were names. I reckon BB is under forty, whoever he is.

with love and affection to everybody

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 4:43pm

I wish peterb.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 4:46pm

Me! Pick me! I've only got a fifteen more months to remain in contention.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 4:55pm

Occaisional Swelllnet contributor 'theblowin'.

I'm not sure if he's under 40 but he spins a good yarn without it being contrived or the reader needing a thesaurus.

A piece from him is well overdue.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 5:08pm

Best writer with an IQ under 40? Uplift wins hands down
boom tish, try the veal

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 5:17pm

did I say you had to have hair?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 5:21pm

The Outsider - some of his WCT event coverage was gold...

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 5:41pm

Steve Shearer. We got name 1.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 5:48pm

Chas Smith

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 8:07pm

Second that, Goofyfoot: Chas Smith. He used to shit me with his impersonations - Tom Wolfe, John Kennedy Toole - but he's written a couple of things in TSJ lately that I've dug.

Steve Shearer is symphonic when he's on song, but then he's an old prick - definitely over 40.

Fuck, who is there? Kids these days take photos not write words - much easier to feed the internet beast pixels.

Jed Smith goes alright: unique voice, clever turn of phrase, big hair. Whack that one on your list PB. What's it all about anyway..?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 8:19pm

Methinks it's a not so subtle dig.

Writers in general, I like Andrew Kidman, Dave Parmenter, Sean Doherty (sometimes) and definitely Steve Shearer. I can't remember his surname but as a youngster I liked the writing of that Mario fellow who used to write for Surfing World.

And not wishing to feed the monkey, but yes I really enjoy your writing PB.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 8:32pm

Yep Sean Doherty writes some good things. Can't stand Derek Rielly's writing style. Dave Sparkes writes some great stories, really enjoy reading his things.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 5 Sep 2013 at 8:55pm

Tough call - I was a big fan of Lewis Samuels, don't mind Jas Smith. Kidman really speaks to me. A lot of the Surfer Path writers follow too much of a structured 'seldom surfed- history - culture - we got skunked' pattern so I don't dig them much either. It's the bloggers that do it for me - bukitbear, pbowes, lyttlestreet etc

I tried writing for surf mags a few years ago and it was a pretty negative experience - pitched a story to Tracks, they liked it, I worked on it, they edited it a bit, then they suggested change after change until I realized that it was no longer my article, but the same article they produce every year on that topic. I pointed it out and the then editor and never heard back. Few weeks later someone else had written an article on the topic, and yes, it was pretty much the same formula and style as the ones that came before it.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 7:59am

no agenda Stu, just curious as to who gets read, and I had to keep the old farts off the radar ..

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 8:52am

'no agenda Stu, just curious as to who gets read, and I had to keep the old farts off the radar ..'

Only fair for the young runts, even though I'm close to 60, I am like a humble, young, raw boned, good looking, unbridled kid. Plus, I've already dominated and won the famous, much sought after 'Swellnet 500'. If I do say so myself.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 9:08am

'no idea Stu, just curious as to who knows that I’ve tried but can’t keep from passing farts on and off during the airobics class'

I am a bumbling, old, raw boned, ugly, unbridled bugger who just likes to smell sweaty bodies.

As I have no friends of my own, I like to live the dream of having some by forcing my wacky ideas on you young runts. I have dominated and won the famous, much sought after 'Swellnet 500'. If I do say so myself.

Only fair too, because I’ve only got an IQ close to 60.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 10:04am

Well, who's the best writer out there, in surfing, over forty? Or have we already listed them?

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 11:31am

Under 40 Stu, under ..

Smith
Shearer
Kidman
Parmenter
Doherty
Samuels
.. and straygator and uplift can go and get rooted, I say that respectfully, and I'll never see 69 again

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 3:55pm

Giidday, gates, good yapping ya scrawny little runt!

Bit harsh peterb.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 4:15pm

apologies upster, it's the drink ..

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 4:27pm

in vino veritas.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 4:36pm

I reckon Braithy's a great writer when he's in tune with things, however most of the stuff I've seen from him has been surf contest-based.

I used to like the sporadic posts from a couple of the old Realsurf crew (off the top of my head, guys like buzzy and filthbarrel) but that was a much different environment back then. There used to be people I'd beeline too every time I saw their names in the 'most recent post' section.

Jock Serong's written some good stuff too but I've got no idea how old he is.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of 'em right now.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 5:47pm

William Finnegan.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 7:05pm

I hope you are well Clifton are you still hanging out in Asia?

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 7:13pm

gotta be a chinese guy writing it clif .. looks like there's plenty doing it

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 7:19pm

I'd say I enjoy Jock Serong and Steve Shearer as well.

Nick Carroll's insights on realsurf are fascinating but I don't read much of his other stuff.

Anyone who can paint an amazing picture and atmosphere with words, putting you in the spot gets my vote.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 1:11am

'Anyone who can paint an amazing picture and atmosphere with words, putting you in the spot gets my vote.'

Gidday craig, this is obviously aimed at me, and well hey, what can I say, much humble thanks. Its not something that I do deliberately, or even aspire to, its just another talent I was blessed with. People think hey, lucky Uplift, but there is another side to the story that they often are unaware of. The tall poppy syndrome will no doubt rear its ugly head again, but, this is something I learned to live with even as an incredibly muscular, good looking, gifted little tacker.

I consider the jealosy and attacks a small price to pay if it means reaching out and giving losers like runty little gatesy and co at least a semblance of a life. Without my words to eagerly cling to and constantly pour over they would lead an even more feeble, ludicrous, meaningless exsistance. I am literally the reason that they and their ridiculous likes draw breath... a responsibility that I might add I dont take lightly. It even overshadows my famous, monumental, yet seemingly effortless 'Swellnet 500' victory.

Quote...'Haha, can't believe you missed 500 Morris, better luck next story!'

I am not one to bask in glory, and will not say much, other than gee, shucks, thanks craig (and in fact thanks to all of my 'fans' here)!

Zeni, vidi vici!!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 8:48am

OK Caesar, but you should really lay off the booze when you post;)

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 9:04am

Gidday boys. Just checked me last post and realised what i ment to say was he conquered, he came and im sore

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 12:45pm

@groundswell Yeah, still in hanging about Asia. We've had a couple of swells in China (Fujian, Dalian and Shanghai) of late. Off to Taiwan again soon.

@pete no locals writing in China in regards to surfing, becsie the odd "journo" tourist plug for Hainan in newspapers or for Hong Kong Holiday package brochures. You know, there really aren't many people surfing despite the fanfare every now & again about it, especially in regards to Hainan. I would love to have someone like Liu Xiaobo or Liao Yiwu to have a go at writing about surfing. Although, this would be primarily because it would mean they were finally free to enjoy their lives and the CCP weren't being f**king assholes anymore. I think both writers would enjoy a surf experience and to write about it. I wonder what they would write ...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 10 Mar 2015 at 7:59pm

He's back. For better or worse, he's back.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 6:55am

How old is that Blasphemy Rottmouth fellow? he was quite entertaining

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 10:52am
clif wrote:

... I would love to have someone like Liu Xiaobo or Liao Yiwu to have a go at writing about surfing. Although, this would be primarily because it would mean they were finally free to enjoy their lives and the CCP weren't being f**king assholes anymore. I think both writers would enjoy a surf experience and to write about it. I wonder what they would write ...

that's it. house arrest for you!

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 12:11pm

Wellymon's the man- his post on the yowie was fiction at it's best, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and i am a very hairy little bastard. southey and blindboy are close on his heels, the article on whose watching n actually made the WSl change their operational function. And of course all these literary geniuses like up lift all think they are still under 40 and thats all that matters.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 12:23pm

Wellymon????? Under 40????? Jesus H christ he's had a hard life!!!!!!!

"it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and i am a very hairy little bastard."
We didn't call you shagpile for nothin', dave...

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 12:59pm

thats why i spent most of my time trying to be a carpet muncher!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 1:03pm

"trying" being the crucial word......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 1:08pm

"Carpet munching"????? How long have you been single for???? There aint much carpet out there anymore, mate.... It's all polished tiles..... Sometimes they might leave a tiny little greeting mat at the front door.... If ya lucky ;p

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 1:27pm

yeah have been lucky enough to have the polished tiles but the old rave has found the tile trade business a bit slow lately except for when i go to twinnies and well not only is there a greeting mat but they roll out the red carpet as well.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 1:39pm

Not that into tiles......... I'm rather partial to a nicely manicured little landing strip.... I find complete tiling a little immature, if ya' get my drift lol

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 1:50pm

totally support your preference mate, you can land your jumbo and i can land my cessna.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 1:55pm

Davo, I just fly a DC9, mate..... It's old, mid sized, but reliable hehehe......

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 4:07pm

Andrew Crocket

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 4:15pm

If Andrew Crockett is under 40 then he's 39 going on 80!

The best surf history writer and indeed researcher - a most underappreciated skill - in this country.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 at 4:22pm

His Pommy cousin Daniel goes alright too. A surf trip to post-GFC Iceland in the Surfers Journal stands out among his recent work.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Sunday, 29 Jan 2017 at 12:56pm

Read it and weep...

A true master-work of sports writing

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html...

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Sunday, 29 Jan 2017 at 9:44pm

Stu, what's with the freebie side-bar, you done?

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Monday, 30 Jan 2017 at 10:31am

Gary G would like to nominate Gary G

many-rivers's picture
many-rivers's picture
many-rivers Monday, 30 Jan 2017 at 10:48am

second the vote for Blasphemy Rottmouth.
Whoever writes Dumbth Chronicles is reasonable too.
how about finding a female writer though, not a pro being ghost written but a female writer from the surfing world ........anyone , anywhere ?
single sex examination of any issue is just lamely last century but not a shock after seeing the crowd in most carparks at surf spots.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Monday, 30 Jan 2017 at 3:01pm

Blasphemy challenged me to write a book years ago ... it took that long. Stu has a review copy and he's been mighty quiet about it.
Probably because he hasn't figured it out yet.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 8 Sep 2018 at 4:16pm

Best current surf writers :

Freeride
Stu nettle
Blakey
Ozzie wright*
Warshaw
Reilly
Chas Smith

Some other good crew out there but that’s who’s floating my boat today.

I actually came on this thread to bad mouth someone after a recent bit I’d read then realised that’s the worst form possible . So it’s only praise I’m bestowing.

*Yes - Ozzie Wright : such an upbeat , funny bastard with great colour and unique ideas. One of my favourites really. His surfing is irrelevant to this opinion. Don’t tell me it’s a ghost .