Has started http://www.aspworldtour.com/events/2014/mct/674/j-bay-open

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 4:41pm

Little bumpy but looking real nice!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 4:43pm

Whats the forecast? Are they gonna score?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 4:52pm

fitzroy-21 wrote:

Whats the forecast? Are they gonna score?

Craig? Don? For mine it doesn't look too good for the next week. Today being the best day.

God there's a difference between those that have got J'Baai experience and those that don't, the first heat being a prime example. Mick knew when to turn and when to gun it, while by comparison Dion and Seabass floundered.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 5:04pm

After today's pulse it'll be down into tomorrow and devil winds look to kick in from the N/NW. Small to moderate pulse Saturday with improving winds with a better increase Monday with morning offshores.

Late in the period is looking up with a possible large swell on the cards, worth keeping an eye on and will provide updates.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 5:36pm

Why don't hey have the individual wave scores coming up on the side anymore?
EDIT. Just started working.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 5:39pm

How good is chilling with the comp on ? My version of state of origin . Especially when your surfed out.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 6:10pm

Watching this reminds me how fucking LOUD the music and PA is when you're at these things.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 6:31pm

Time to start watching..kEllys up :P

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 8:58pm

Showing an ad for asp whilst Jordy scores the highest wave of the day... Awesome work asp. The rest of the event is pretty shit hot though.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 5:39am

Stu, surfed with Dion out at Supers yesterday (Wed evening). He was ripping and looked like he had it pretty dialled. He has Owen Wright in Round 2 though who got the third highest heat total of the day and still lost be tough. Was interesting where Medina sat in the lineup. He sat on the inside for his heat taking half of the wave (and scoring potential) from the young guy lightfoot who is fricken good too. Joel sat on the proper take off spot next heat but shows Medina really clever in his strategies. Magnas, Fiirst Point and the Cape where all pumping today. Tomorrow its supposed to drop and be raining next two days.

Great vibe here and super friendly event. Access and views for everybody its pretty nice. Bourez looks dialled, live its incredible what he does to a wave. Maybe just maybe uplift has got his muse.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 6:35am

mick-free wrote:

Bourez looks dialled, live its incredible what he does to a wave. Maybe just maybe uplift has got his muse.

What's Africaans for "Bahahahaha"?

I imagine the difference between the top guys and the others is only matters of degree, yet when you look at it critically, and on a wave as demanding as J'Baai, it appears more pronounced. Mick and Kelly and Jordy (and one or two others) knew exactly how to pace themselves and where to put the turns.

Get into it MIck. Look forward to more reports.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 1:29pm

morning!! pretty sure its lecker, my Africaans is shithouse though. Its should be better considering the missus is from Cape Town. Anyway there's no wind this morning so going to head down for a surf before the devil wind. Now forecast is clear and northerly.

The forecast looks pretty grim with WSW and SW swell next week. Pretty much flat from Tuesday onwards. What does SN think? Looked like a pulse popping up next Thursday but low period stuff. I'm no expert but maybe they will run a few heats each morning while the tide is low over the next few days.

General rule in surfing with the pros. Never let Taj Burrow get the inside. The man is a wave magnet.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 1:40pm

This morning, that solid swell for the end of the period was still on track, but the frontal system has been downgraded with the 18z update. Hopefully comes back for the 00z run. It's been pretty consistent with this, so I'm fairly confident.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 4:16pm

Big call to wait until the last day of the waiting period...especially right now when surely they still have some small contestable waves this morning?

Monday doesn't look much better than today, and that swell on the last day of the waiting period looks very W/SW to me.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 6:27pm

Craig. Have you got any data re' predicted wind speeds west of the 968h low at roughly 65s 25e tomorrow at 3am ish' our time? Slightly above average sw fetch through to 5w and down to 75s.... Any data on that? Worth looking at? Coriolis effect should tilt whatever swell is produced at Jbay?
Any chance at a "mystery" 4 foot sw swell at 10+ seconds for Mon/Tues?
Access to Bouvet Island?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 8:25pm

Interesting Sheepy, spoke to Bede he was happy he didn't have to surf. He reckons Monday's swell will be good. So maybe you are onto something. windguru has got it 3m at 10seconds for Monday. Had a chat to John John and Nat Young and both were surprised that it wasn't on this morning. Super contestable 3 foot with 4 foot sets out there until about 11am. Tad inconsistent and winds moving around. Its now with a write off with northerly creating a bump on the wave face. Some crankers coming through though. I was pretty happy they didn't run, and so were the judges and support crew all getting waves.

The locals are saying there's a heap of sand making for primo conditions if there is a really good swell. Apparently its been pumping there for the last 6 weeks. Stu cheap property too. Pick yourself up a 3 bedroom house couple streets back from the beach for 1.2million thats 120k in Aus $. There's your report - anything else you need let me know. BTW I'm bringing home a braai and immediately installing it in the house.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 8:59pm

MF. That's my point. Why didn't they at least finish Rd 2 this morning. I'm not sure Monday is going to be any different and same with the last day swell (a big call to wait til then).

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 4:44am

I went back for arvo session at 4pm and took these shots and bolted back to the car.

Turns out the Northerly died out just after lunch and wind switched. Was great waves all afternoon. 3-4 with 5 foot sets admittedly one wave bomb sets with 20 people out. Jordy also was surprised they didn't run when I asked him. There's a local saying here you gotta run if there's waves.

Also Ben some tech news, spoke to the drone operator they are trying to give live from the drone for the quarter finals. The tech was having issues with the weight so was 50/50 on making it work.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 7:38am

FFS that's better than what they'll get on Monday. Can't believe they didn't run it.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 9:57am

Ok had a bit more look into that last day swell. It's got more south in it than I first thought. But still they need more than one day to finish the comp and with Monday looking smaller than yesterday I'm still dumb founded as to why they at least didn't finish Rd 2 yesterday. If it was inconsistent then make the heats 35min long.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 4:07pm

They've just kicked on the remaining heats of Round 2.. surf is a little small but still super fun.

mick-free wrote:

Also Ben some tech news, spoke to the drone operator they are trying to give live from the drone for the quarter finals. The tech was having issues with the weight so was 50/50 on making it work.

Interesting stuff Mick.. the drone vision looks great but jeez they're a technical hassle to get into a live broadcast!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 5:27pm

Just watched round 2 heat 6. Cheepers, cripeys, yipees, talk about action packed highlight overdrive! Its a bit exhausting even watching. 23 minutes sitting, 3 minutes surfing. I felt Atkinson had a more aggressive sitting stance. Are they allowed to use gel pads to cushion their arses whilst sitting? One should have challenged the other to an arm wrestle... or something. Are they allowed to get a pizza delivery during their heat? Or will they get yelled at?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 5:51pm

Feck me they run it today in very inconsistent 2-3ft. Meh!!!

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 5:59pm

With the apparent lack of sets that we are seeing, are too many points given for simply nabbing a set wave? I know we've spoken about this before but Felipe smashed the crap out of his 3.93.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 6:29pm

How fun does the surf look at 3ft though? J-bay is such a sweet wave. it's on my bucket list of waves for sure.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 7:21pm

Even though I reckon sea bass is the better surfer I put $10 on Jeremy and then he paddles back out like he's in a 4 hour heat. It can go flat for 20 minutes so when a wave comes you want to be out there waiting for it....paddle faster son !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 7:44pm

Petulant wanker....that'll learn me.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 9:09pm

The ASP need to appoint 'donweather' as contest director. No fecking wasted waves with him running the show....................

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 12 Jul 2014 at 9:25pm

Lil' Buddy just booted a bomb from 60m out, straight through the guts mid way up and still goin... but the fans were too busy watching the African sitoff to notice.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 9:02am

Well, uplift..... Went to a game yesterday... Boring as batshit.... Got home and turned on Swans v blues..... Boring as batshit...... The game has changed so much....... It doesn't resemble the Australian rules I loved for decades....... Watched an old repeat on NITV the other day..... Collingwood v Saint Kilda, 1993..... Full contact... Fast flowing..... Players in positions..... Decent commentary, not this Bruce Macca waffle.... Mckenna and Don Scott were even arguing about tactics and decisions.....
Modern AFL has become a joke......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 9:11am
Sheepdog wrote:

Craig. Have you got any data re' predicted wind speeds west of the 968h low at roughly 65s 25e tomorrow at 3am ish' our time? Slightly above average sw fetch through to 5w and down to 75s.... Any data on that? Worth looking at? Coriolis effect should tilt whatever swell is produced at Jbay?
Access to Bouvet Island?

Been alot off 35k+ ssw to sw winds in this region MickF.... Just checked scat'.... Only getting data from above 60s... Nothing below - quite frustrating....... Winds still happening as we speak... Storm surf has "prime swell" of "9 to 10" for monday.... What that equates to? We'll see....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 9:19am

I really hope they keep this comp in years to come its great to see an event held in waves that have length and are rippable with the odd barrel, and J bay seems to suit both forehand and backhand surfing.

Much better than watching average close out brazil beaches.

BTW: This is a really good idea http://www.aspworldtour.com/posts/55153/curren-and-occhilupo-to-face-off...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 10:33am

An idea.... Many here scorn the lack of action in a heat, and rightly so.... Ok..... Increase wave limit from 2 to 3...... BUT!!!!! let me explain why, and how.....
Big moves - risky moves - one manoeuvre waves.... Everyone remembers Slaters air at Bells..... Moves like this a far and few in comps...... So........ Let's have a "one manoevre" wave in a heat. You have to get 3 waves right?..... But one of them counts as a "one manouevre" wave if you claim it...... ( you don't have to claim it - you can have 3 std waves if you like)...... After the manouevre, the surfer raises his arms or hands in some fashion either whilst he is riding or after he pulls out...... The judges only score on the mavoeuvre claimed..... The scoring is done similar to pool diving in the olympics, or trick skiing...... Only one manoeuvre can be claimed....
It'd sure add some spice.... And in the dying minutes of a heat, a surfer could take a lesser wave under priority, and pull the hail mary.....
It would sure increase the tension and "watchabilty" of professional surfing.....

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 10:50am

Not a bad idea Sheepy. Suggest it to the ASP please cause watching the Rd 2 heats last night was as boring as bat shit for the first 30 min of each heat.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 12:52pm

Then imagine sheepster how boring it would have been if the whistle blew, and all the players just sat down, just sat there, yes, just sat there, literally sat there, sitting around, (did I say sat there?) for 20 odd minutes. 'Hey look, wake up dad, he's turned his head to the left dad!!!!' 'Shit, I was dreaming son, I missed it!!!!' 'Its ok dad, its in the highlights dad!!!!' Because that is the undeniable, the actual, and present reality of the 'dream tour'. As it was in last year's grand final, the pipemasters (spruiked up to be the 'greatest pipemasters final ever') sit off.

'The Mourning of the Earth' by Sheepy and the Pacemakers.

'When you sit through the storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Sit on, through the wind
Sit on, through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Sit on, sit on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never sit alone
You'll never sit alone

Sit ooooooooooooon, sit ooooooooooooon, with hope in your heart
Aaaaaaand you'll neeeeeeeever sit alone
Yooooooooouuuuuuuuu'll neeeeeeeeeever siiiiiiiiiiiiiit alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course then we have an even worse, an almost unimaginable scenario in this AFL comparison. Try, somehow try to attempt to picture the scene... the screaming fans waiting for the mighty 'Buddies' grand entrance, when... out trots (at best), a tiny, squawking little 49kg goober, with 'thunderguns' emblazoned across his tiny, fitted guernsy. And as he attempts to kick the ball into the by now screeching and booing fans, his tiny little toothpick like pins literally shatter. And out trot (at best) the remainder of the fans pride and joy, except as mere, tiny shrunken 45kg replicas of their former athletic selves. Picture the sneering, unbridaled, the unconcealable sneering glee and joy shining across the oppositions fans and players faces. The hours of unimaginable sledging pain, the sledgefest awaiting the horrified (and very soon to be former) club supporters and fans.

But, maybe as we speak, the AFL is on the phone at this very moment, begging, pleading the ASP to show them the secret, trying to learn, trying to glean the secret, to how the ASP finally, once and for all time, became the greatest, most elite, the tiniest, deft defying athletes, in the most elite arena, that the world, the cosmos, the universe, the galaxy has ever, ever seen... perhaps not this year, but surely the next, and if not the next, maybe the next, possibly the next...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 1:39pm

Lifto.... Ya can't compare surfing to staged arena team sports..... Anyone that thinks a fringe individual sport will ever compete with jock team sports need to seek counselling.... It's not just the team sport they (the ASP) are competing against, but "pride of the guernsy", the parochialism of the suburb or town.... But if we were to compare this individual sport with less than 38 years history, to team sports with 1/2 a century to a full century of history, there is one alarming thing re' USA team sports....
NFL - fan numbers dropping dramatically five years in a row - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/08/after-peaking-in-2007-nf...
NBA - fan numbers dropping - http://www.sonicsrising.com/2014/3/28/5533982/why-nba-attendance-numbers...
MLB - crowds down...... http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/attendance-down-not-just-at-miami-mar...
I wish I could find surfing attendance figures..... Had a decent look......

It seems more folk are interested in world darts....... Big money.... Big crowds.... record tv viewers....... Now there's some elite athletes!!!!!! lol

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 1:48pm

I think, 45 minute heats, 4 surfers, best single wave score.
Priority goes to the next surfer, if you haven't surfed a wave for 5 minutes.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 1:48pm

On the rise:

Salaries?

Athleticism?

Or, conversely:

Sitting?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 1:58pm

And lifto, we are also talking about the evolution of words, the English language.... Gay was once happy.... Gay was then homo..... Gay is now shithouse (That movie I saw was gay) This all happened in that eloquent bastion of the English Language, the USA ....... The original Oxford term for "athlete" was one who participated in athletics - Track and field - javelin, shot put, sprint, discus, hurdles, long jump.... Through marketing and American bullshit, along came "extreme athlete", which took the original meaning of the word and moulded it to fit their particular product..... The ASP has just joined the decimation of the English Language.......

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 2:03pm

Here's something for you to think about uplift, would you call triathletes elite sportsman? I probably would as most are supremely fit but most also would be lucky to weigh in at 70kgs wringing wet. I also think most would outrun, out swim and out bike you and your heavy weight ,ideal elite athletes.
Come to think of it, quite a few CT surfers would be a shit load fitter than most of the bulked up, drug and protein enhanced gym junkie types that you tend to believe an athlete should look like.
So maybe different sports require different body types and training regimes that your weight training and supplement sipping prototype athlete don't quite fit the mould of. Just a thought.
As for World Darts, how many schooners does it take before it becomes performance enhancing?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 2:37pm

seal, I have actually trained some triathletes, that do very well, and are Iron Man invitees. I love stirring them about their lack of all round fitness. That sport is riddled with injury, imbalance. You have obviously never stood side by side, or competed with many elite athletes. Imagine running, having to be able to both sprint and endure, except at the same time you have to plan and adapt strategies, and at the same time your opponent is planning to, and allowed to literally take you out. When I played basketball, we ran with the best runners, as training. Several guys I played with were elite runners, the best in the country, both sprint and distance. One elite US college sprinter, who matched Carl Lewis in college, and was all American in 3 sports plus track, was 6'7" and around 18 and 1/2 stone. He was a nightmare to play against. We could run with them, as the demands of the sport meant you had to be able to. It is ignorance, and lack of experience that equates size and muscular fitness with lack of ability and performance. All sports, including athletics once did it. Some one with Buddy Franklin's size, strength and athleticism is a dream come true to coaches, owners, managers, marketers, and team mates. So he commands his salary. And it gets payed. Why drivvle on with, 'thunderthighs', 'raging bull', etc style monikers in surfing then? Why not highlight the opposite? The petite female commentators and interviewers are bigger than the ASP, self titled, 'elite athletes'. Maybe that approach will get the signatures on the cheques that the ASP has forever and still is searching for. All the defensive talk has never and isn't working.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 3:14pm

The only thing that works is the mighty dollar....... Man United guernsey.... Cha ching..... Merchandise..... Sf49ers..... Geez, even Collingwood beenies..... Memberships, pokies...... Meals...... The machine..... Pays for gyms, coaches, physios......
To compare surfing to that is unfair.....
Now, trialthlon..... Individual sport to start with....... A good comparison to surfing..... Niche market.... On a fitness level, I'd subjectively say an "elite" tri "athlete" would be fitter than an "elite" surfer. Subjectively.... Could be wrong.....

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 4:51pm

Please not again uppy. Not on this thread, leave it about jbay. No gives a fuck about how you could match Carl Lewis pace playing basketball. Just watch the surfing and shhh

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 5:02pm

No one gives a fuck, or ever has, about little guys sitting around and lay days. Did I wake you up? Ok, go back to watching the surfing.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 9:58pm

Sorry boys, I'm going to have to back Uplift on this one. Best heat I ever saw was Mark " Jacko " Jackson at Bells during the Rip Curl Pro years ago. Pure athleticism on the board and then ended up wrestling his opponent in the shorey WWF style. MAN STYLE. In ten years we're going to see all these girly men board flickers having a televised chat with Sir Michael Parkinson .... If you know what I mean ( Wink Wink ).

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 12:10am

S dog , gay can mean fins that dont fit in groove

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 7:03am
caml wrote:

S dog , gay can mean fins that dont fit in groove

yeah, as sheepy said shithouse.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 9:21am

I reckon I'm going to find some " gay " weightlifing/bodysculpting site , log as " Uplift " , hijack every thread and start banging on about flexibilty , core strength , endurance , mental focus and breathing techniques ...
And how surfing is leading the way and has always lead the way in with respects to sport and drugs...
Surely we as a movement were pioneers in that area of substance abuse .......
nowadays they take " supplements " ( doesn't matter what fluffy name you call 'em , they are still body / mind altering ) to look clean and super ripped .....
When in reality , ( much like surfings " glory days " ) they are getting " ripped " , whilst trying to look dirty/cool ..... ( gee they eevn stole that word ripped , which was obviously two differnet but similarly ideal outcomes a while back ) .

OH the paradox ....

is it TOO early for a beverage ....?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 9:30am
Sheepdog wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

Access to Bouvet Island?

Been alot off 35k+ ssw to sw winds in this region MickF.... Just checked scat'.... Only getting data from above 60s... Nothing below - quite frustrating....... Winds still happening as we speak... Storm surf has "prime swell" of "9 to 10" for monday.... What that equates to? We'll see....

Sw swell now on the way..... Should hit overnight..... Right as we speak.......... Will have to taper into bay..... Expect 4 foot...... Maybe 5...... Way out of my comfort zone here..... Probably a one day swell..... Tues still might have some 3 footers.....

Caml and Morris - I really hope you were talking about fins ;)
Southwald - It's pub opening time somewhere in the world.... lol......

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 12:48pm

The better (bigger) surf looks to come through more so from lunch onwards (J Bay time). Better period and better swell direction for JBay. Swell direction looks a little too SW for my liking at dawn this morning.