Eddie "predator" Blackwell stories

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot started the topic in Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 3:13pm

Give us ya best about this interesting fella

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 8:12pm

Saw him make acquaintence with a wayward Euro at Stanwell Park one day. Funny at first, and then very quickly it wasn't. About six months after that he tried to make acquaintance with me out at The Virg.

Goes as hard as any surfer I've ever seen, in fact Ray Collins reckons he's never seen Eddie pull back - and Ray's shot him at a lot of heavy places. Some surfers run with rocks underwater and do breath hold laps of Olympic-sized pools to handle the kind of situations Eddie puts himself in. Not knocking that kinda training, but there's something to be said for sheer animal will.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 8:42pm

"Make acquaintance" hah that's gold stu
Saw him at solid gland, awesome to watch, big hooks under solid lips
Any reason for making acquaintance with you?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 9 Jun 2014 at 8:56pm

goofyfoot wrote:

Any reason for making acquaintance with you?

Nah, nothing really in it. He said something, I said something back...same old, same old.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 10 Jun 2014 at 6:10pm

Sorry Goofyfoot, I'd love to but I'd better not.
Good bloke.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 11 Jun 2014 at 6:30am

Yeah same , i could say but better not . Will try think of a story appropriate for here !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 3:02pm

Here's an entry. From an interview with Christian Fletcher on Bali Belly:

"I was surfing Deserts triple overhead by myself in the middle of the night. Me and Eddie (Blackwell, The Predator) were surfing Supersucks before dead low tide and the reef was sticking three feet out of the water."

http://balibelly.com/news/4772/outtakes-christian-fletcher

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 3:39pm

... and juggling fire balls

aquaturd's picture
aquaturd's picture
aquaturd Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 8:10pm

Eddie got a mention towards the bottom of this interview with Jimbo Pellegrine too, regarding a fight with Chris Ward in Bali.

http://balibelly.com/news/interview/219/jimbo-pellegrine-always-100-percent

I'd love to see someone do a proper interview with him.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 3 May 2015 at 12:32am

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 3 May 2015 at 12:32am

?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 May 2015 at 7:21pm

Edwards been quite ..........no pics not a mention........Caml what was your story on Ed .........you gonna tell ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 1 May 2015 at 9:38pm

Nah thanks udao . Cant remember now

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 12:56pm

Seems Eddie has been on a free non surfing full board holiday for some months .......

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 2:44pm

Are u talking Number plate duties udo . What 4 ?!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 7:50pm

Yep making plates , Story in the illawarra mercury

I think Eddie will be ok if he drops the soap in the shower.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 6:28pm
mackdog's picture
mackdog's picture
mackdog Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 6:32pm

Sounds like jail is the right place for the psycho. I'm sure it won't be his last stay by stories of his previous behaviour

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 7:48pm

Lots of thinking time and no drinking in there for Ed, hopefully he realizes the grogs no good for him
Is there any footage around online of him surfing ?

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 9:12pm

The grogs fucked many..doesnt make it any different cause the guy surfs good.he may be a legend to many but if he didnt rip all u posters talking him up wouldn't give the guy an inch...lets hope he gets it together.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 11:55pm

Udo, here you go.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 May 2015 at 7:13pm

Thanks Zen .......must be some footage out there somewhere of Ed charging that 12 ft plus swell at deserts a few years back....the pics were unreal.
Desert storm on utube has a few of him ..long barrels
Has a bit of Nick Carrol in his backhand style ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 3 May 2015 at 10:29pm

Good to see the predator eddie ripping pity hes had to tow in but still the eds style brings back memories of surfing with him in late 90s . Hope he gets out the can & surfs again soon

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 3 May 2015 at 10:58pm

Bit more of the fella surfing Deserts, from about 3:40. Owen Wright and Chris Ward too. not exactly 12ft though.

And charging big G-land from about 2:08

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 May 2015 at 9:44am

I'm sharing a bit of office space down in Thirroul these days and one of the fellas in there was telling me about watching Eddie at G'land during a big swell. My mate had a few younger, but very capable, fellas with him and they were all wide eyed watching G'land in full flight. Then Eddie, a fella they'd seen around the local beaches, just tore it apart. Best part of the story was that, at one point, Eddie was paddling back out and deliberately threw himself over the falls on a 10 footer. No chance of making it, didn't even try to, just overdosing on adreanlin and needed to feel the ocean's might.

How's the double up attempt in the second vid?

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Monday, 4 May 2015 at 11:13am

On a more important topic, what is the "Virg." Stu?

hehe

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 May 2015 at 11:29am

It's an amazing place where immaculate conception and filthy barrels co-exist.

memlasurf's picture
memlasurf's picture
memlasurf Monday, 4 May 2015 at 11:58am

Saw him out at the Peak at Ulu smashing it. Not pretty but effective he did look seriously psycho getting in and out of the water. I am always in wonder at how accommodating the locals are to some pretty intense people surfing their break.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Monday, 4 May 2015 at 12:23pm

memla, is it because they realize they will shortly move on?

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 4 May 2015 at 6:01pm

Saw him out ulus peak a few years ago and pretty much scared the shit out of all the surfers and the
waves a heavy dude indeed. Even the brazzos gave him a wide berth about the only surfer that wasn't
intimenated was a older big seppo guy who went by the name of Marty, who was a cool guy.
In a very hostile angry and intimenating way.
Then again saw him last year or the year before cant really remember and he just
looked scary but was as cool as. Maybe he suffers from bipolar.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 4 May 2015 at 4:51pm

Scaring the shit out of all the surfers....in what way ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 4 May 2015 at 6:02pm

Before Id really met Ed he found my wallet that I'd lost and returned it to me intact. He wasnt too flush with funds at the time and a lot of others would have just pocketed it.

Last time I was at Deserts I ran into him for the first time in years. I was on a quick hit solo mission and snapped the only board I'd brought - yes I know , fucking stupid mistake - and he lent me another board without blinking. Not many crew will do that for you.

If his mates are without , he'll look after them.

He's a good fella that has issues with drinking by the sounds of it.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 4 May 2015 at 6:36pm

Hey Blown ,
Is that you making a cameo again switch in that average Deserts vision zen posted ?!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 4 May 2015 at 7:17pm

Negative Southy.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 4 May 2015 at 7:28pm

When i first met eddie and his brus in g.land 1995 early in the morning , they had just arrived from an overnight bus ferry boat trip from kuta , he told me he was on the shrooms and he looked quite interesting as he wore boardies , joggers n socks , no tshirt , sporting dreadies . We went for a surf together soon after & he charged but snapped his board soon after . Nonetheless he proceeded to impress with his surfing style over the next 8 yrs i would spot him around the pitstops of indo mostly g.land or kuta

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 4 May 2015 at 7:31pm
caml wrote:

Nah thanks udao . Cant remember now

Orright balls rolling !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 4 May 2015 at 7:40pm

Not too many G Rated stories.

I'm pretty sure a mate convinced him - fucked if I know how - to go in a Sydney beach boardriders once when he was about 13.

He turned up mid winter and beat the sponno crew surfing in his Parramatta Eels footy shorts to win his division.

He never went back.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 4 May 2015 at 7:49pm
caml wrote:

When i first met eddie and his brus in g.land 1995 early in the morning , they had just arrived from an overnight bus ferry boat trip from kuta , he told me he was on the shrooms and he looked quite interesting as he wore boardies , joggers n socks , no tshirt , sporting dreadies . We went for a surf together soon after & he charged but snapped his board soon after . Nonetheless he proceeded to impress with his surfing style over the next 8 yrs i would spot him around the pitstops of indo mostly g.land or kuta

That bus trip was an ordeal at the best of times, imagine being stuck with those crew on it!! Haha

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 4 May 2015 at 10:06pm

The crew I used to travel with seemed to make it a ritual that a persons first trip out to G Land was always proceeded by a serious drinking session the night before , then a few more the following daytime before departure that night . And just to make it interesting 'shrooms just before departure to really set things off ...
In my case it had the added twist that I'd had some issue on the plane flight into Indo from Aust two days earlier that a pinched nerve or something in my hip had me barely able to walk . So the day of departure add into that cocktail previously mentioned , prescription tranquillisers /muscle relaxants , pain killers and pseudo just to keep it level .... " Hostel " was not the best movie to be played in the bus for that trip .
Let's just say just after the Bali-Java ferry trip , a few hours of projectile vomiting out the window as we careened from Banyuwangi to Gragagan village . Arrive fresh to clean new 6-8ft swell ... Choice . Surf for 4 hrs return to jungle " barn " accom. to coma out for a day or so . Thank fuck the massages were cheap out there in those days .....
Welcome to G Land , character building stuff ! ;-))

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 4 May 2015 at 10:29pm

Lucky u had the good obat southey ! Sounds like a good g.land trip

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 4 May 2015 at 11:06pm

Good vibes = good times . Jonny on the spot .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 4:36pm

Has Edward finished his number plate apprenticeship yet
must be out and about by now ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 7:05pm

He's been out a while.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 1 Aug 2018 at 7:20pm

Pic of Ed on a solid Deserts Grower - johnny_uluwatu insta

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Wednesday, 1 Aug 2018 at 9:05pm

Please add the link here ?
Go Eddy !
thanks udo

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 2 Aug 2018 at 8:36am

Imagine how fast your heart would be pumping locked into something like this!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 2 Aug 2018 at 1:09pm

Big deserts

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 8:12pm

It doesn't get that big and good often.
Impressive Eddie

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Nov 2020 at 3:22pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 15 Jun 2022 at 5:35pm

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 15 Jun 2022 at 6:16pm

Crew are quite happy to poke the bear until it all goes pear shaped, see it all the time. Some crew just don't get it. Don't know eddie, and not making excuses for him but if your going to play with fire in some instance you will get burn't. Allot of people play the victim after fucking up. Alcohol, ego and stupidly in the real world. The real world isn't the school yard, generally you get what you give. People make mistakes and some are piss takes. Basic respect shouldn't be tested especially with bears, you never know what you are going to get. The world needs the odd bear to keep humanity in check. just don't poke em and you'll be good. Nice woftd and gland shot. charge on. Honey's still honey.