Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 22 Mar 2014 at 9:21pm

and why not ? ...

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 22 Mar 2014 at 9:21pm

and why not ? ...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 22 Mar 2014 at 9:35pm

Yeah, well I wanna live in Los angeles......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 22 Mar 2014 at 9:53pm

And as you'd say Sid, "why not".....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 12:08am

If we're talking Talking Heads, this one is way better than Joni fucking Mitchells Big Yellow Taxi-

And a little more Frank Black-

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 1:53am

When I was a grommet I used to surf heaps with the guy on the mandolin and banjo, and we were bombarded with the Scruggs/Flatt style of thing nightly. Thank god they loved guitars too. These guys, especially Powell had a big influence on lots of guitarists. You can even hear Mark Knopfler in there.

Then there was one of Clapton's heroes.

And of course this one.

Sid. Pre surf psyche ups with Carly fuckn Simon blaring out over the carpark!!!???? What kind of lame, poxy dribble are ya hurling yourself into. Not a good look/sound Sid. Even on the sunny coast. (Just my humble opinion). 'Hi guyths, I'm Sthid, cannon fodder fowr gwommets. Hey, wook, wouwd yaths wike thsum chia thseedths!!!' Might as well paint a fucking bullseye on yourself.

Here, this will help, my patented, never fail, here I am, theme song. Give it time, because you need that gym thing happening too though. Get things sorted before you even get near the water.

Just trying to help.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 9:13am

Tiny waves...no banks... over it... UPLIFT!!!!!!! Dunno about wishbone ash.... Maybe good psyche up music for boomer mal riders and paddle boarders ;)
If you want all generations of surfers in the carpark to keep their distance and be shit scared of you in the line up, treat them all as invisible, and have this blaring as you wax up..... :)

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 9:50am

One for the Bramfield secret society.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 9:54am

Whoa! Fraser, what the hell was that?

Suddenly I've got this urge to smash something and kick the dog.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 10:23am

Zenagain.... Don't kick the dog mate....... Maybe strangle the cat, or Shoot the tv with a shotgun..... but not the dog mate...... Here, chillax ;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 10:42am

It was a metaphor Sheepy, I'd never kick the dog. Check my little mate in my Avatar.

And the cats sitting here on my lap right now so she'd be none too pleased if I tried to strangle her.

All good, just about to head out for a surf.

Not a bad song, sounds a bit like Ben Howard with a smattering of Na na's or Li Li's in the middle;)

And here's a song with a few La la's. Beautiful and simple with great backing vocals by Marcy Levy.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 1:04pm

Classic AC surf music sheepster, the new era, where, ala gordless (half of the famous 'fighting gordens'), angels feared to tread. Former losers in the BC era suddenly embraced the AC era with a vengance, and began fearlessly a gruntin' and a snortin' up a storm, ice water in their veins, quads and muscals free, fearless weapons of mass destruction. The white squall. Rippers and chargers, bad arse mo fuckers, burst on the scene everywhere. Thank God for gyms, where sanity is quickly restored and all the snortin, gruntin, a sneerin' and a smirking, is quickly restored back to child like squeals and bleats. Exorcised.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm

Luv ya work Uplift... really do...... But down here in the deep south of tasmania, unlike up in the warm water climes of Streaky Bay, we don't have gyms.... Got a heapa' felled logs that need splittin'..... Winters comin' and the fire aint gonna burn on itself....
Good thing about a real workout is ya get things done.....
Just make sure the axe is sharp..... Hobart hospital is a 90 minute drive.....
Choppin wood music -

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 3:03pm

nice work SD with " so what " ...

i once put this song on the Penong Pub duke box , whilst trying to releive some tension rising between a big Qld'er i'd met travellin , and a large " friendly to me only in our group " local at the time named Steve .

"

&feature=kp"

lets just say it confused the qld i was playing pool with , and Steve was a big fan .
The vid isn't the best , but they are awesome live , drummer is just a machine , and like roadies and whoever rotating through many instruments .... even a theremin gets a run ..... they do a fair cover of ACDC ; long way to the top .....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 4:16pm

Hmm. Not bad southy... Right about the clip... Way better just listening.... Same with this song...... Again drumming is so tight..... Their use of subtle "silent space" during riffs is awseome..... But like all heavy /hardcore/ punk, I find it is like rich dessert....... When I was younger, I could listen to a whole DKs album, or discharge, or exploited, Black flag, or Birthday party.... But now just one or two treats do me..... Don't mind making my own hardcore mix..... Still can listen to a solid hour of that, but not just one band anymore......Gotta mix it up....
This band were hot in their day.....

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 5:24pm

'Got a heapa' felled logs that need splittin'..... Winters comin' and the fire aint gonna burn on itself....
Good thing about a real workout is ya get things done.....'

Sounds good in theory sheepster. However, I am besieged daily by ex brickies, builders, labourers, concreters, chippies, tilers, shearers, landscapers, furniture removalists and so on and so on, with an endless assortment of fucked shoulders, elbows, wrists, ankles, knees, backs. Many who have also been under the knife and who also have to rehab the resulting replacements and fusions, despite sporting every manner of braces, slings, supports, devices, patches and rubs. Even the likes of Pofessor Lutz Nuerondergling and his wonder brace, and the famous Heidi Florgendiesler 'Florgendeisler Balm' has failed them.

I was the Elliston grave digger for some years. As it was insulting to the cockies to use machinery, they had to be dug by hand. They'd always love telling you it was 'great diggin' country... just take the crowbars in case.' Whilst the work was exercise, it wasn't very balanced, and the more you dug, the smarter you got, easier it was. Luckily, I had plenty of techniques up my amply stretched sleeves to balance things out. You may have seen this guy, Steve Justa, legendary in fitness and martial arts circles, in your travels. Its right up your alley in that area. He's famous for running and walking radical distances carrying huge weights, and for squatting for incredibly high reps with massive loads, kind of Taj and Parko like core strength. Almost anyway. I incorporate many of his methods in the gym. However, some are questionable and he is feeling injuries these days. His book is definitely worth a read, and highlights 'work' incorporated into workouts.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2007/Apr/Steve_Justa_F...

http://www.workingmanfitness.com/2010/08/how-to-feel-bruce-lee-strong-vi...

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/products/rock-iron-steel-steve-justa

http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/rockironsteel.html

Stop going off track dawg, I'll bring it back, as sadly Justa, a heavy metal freak, tried his marketting hand at banging out tunes too.

I can justa see you and the boiz, a stompin' and a hollerin' up a storm in the backwoods of Tazzie, chewin on march flies and herbs. Anyway, just humbly trying to help... again. I wish everybody would stop making all these threads about me... give someone else a go for fucks sake.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 5:52pm

^^^I wish everybody would stop making all these threads about me... give someone else a go for fucks sake.^^^

***SAYS THE ONLY BLOKE HERE WHO POSTS PICS OF HIMSELF***

(stop making it all about me, nah WAIT, here's some more pics of me, me and me, awesome ME.)

fuck uppo, you swallow your own cum in public .

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 5:46pm

Cripers Sid!!! See, you've done it again! I did all the fuckn hard yards, did the big, speccy interception, took the thing the whole length of the ground, flattenin' cunts left right and centre, single handedly put ya right in front of goals, humbly, and unselfishly, look back flicked the thing to ya, and all ya can do is drop it, stumble out of bounds like an idiot, pick it up miles too late... and then forward pass it. SSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told ya, lose the Carly Simon show pronto.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 5:49pm

And whats more sidsless, if I only had pictures of noosa and bells I wouldn't post them either! Just trying to help.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 5:55pm

it was a Dave Grohl (who totally rocks, unlike yourself) cover, and was meant to be cheesy in reflection of your good self.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 5:58pm

Uplift get the fuck off this thread, it was a good read before you joined it turned it shit like every thread you comment on.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 5:59pm

What? You're fucking kidding? Cheepers sid... I... I... AS IF! No judge is gonna buy that defense.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:01pm

Saltsless, just don't read it, if you don't like it. Turn the fuck'n lights on. how hard is it?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:17pm

'Now, now, now Mr saltsless, dry your eyes and start from the beginning.'

'Well... well... well, your honour, everything's always really good and stuff, an, sniffle, sniffle, sniffle, and then he, he, sniffle, sniffle, well...well... WELL HE ALWAYS MAKES US READS STUFF AND WRECKS EVERYTHING AND STUFF... WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MMUUUMMMMYYYY!!!!

'Mmmm', ok Mr Saltsless, dry your eyes, calm down, I just want to get this clear... now it says here in the notes, that you say you are a 'surfee, a charger?'

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:22pm

Uppo, one of those pics, you'd already previously posted, and it was crap the first time . but nah, you couldn't help yourself, you had to lick your balls in public, AGAIN.

As for the Dave Grohl / Carly Simon cover, yeah it was cheese, it was deliberately meant to be so . Only you can't see it cos' your head is so far up your own bumhole. Get back to your vagina weight lifting ol' boy.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:28pm

Its a fuckn very, very good look up here sidsless.

STOP MAKING THIS ABOUT ME SIDSLESS... SALTSO CAN"T TAKE MUCH MORE!

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:29pm

Could any of you gentleman suggest some tunes that may be suitable for a ping pong shooting show ?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:38pm

You're built like a ping pong ball ambles, get back to 2' trough where you belong.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:42pm

Uplift...... Thanks for the links,,,,,,,, but mate, I'll stick to just choppn wood, mowin' lawns, pilates, surfing, and fucking...... Fucking's good........ Even at my age...... ;)

But here's a song that I know is right up your alley...... Not exactly my cuppa tea, though..... ;)

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 6:46pm

fuck off uppo, YOU and your CRAP photos of YOU on the shoulder running scared from the lip and barrel, are taking up too much SN bandwidth.

Sir, uppos self developed martial art, Vagina Kung Fu, is excellent training for pong shooting .

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 7:37pm

Ok, my work here is done. I have taken a ramshackle, ambling bunch of useless units, and (single handedly I might add), at grave and mortal danger to my humble self, united and transformed them into a formidable force of hard 'core', not to be fucked with, bad arse, underground, backwoods, mo' fuckers.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 7:47pm

You're funny, Uplift... Not funny "weird", but funny "hah hah". What makes you so funny is you don't realise that you are funny..... :)
Here's another song for you mate...... Soon people on this site will be calling you "frankenfurter" heheheee!!!

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 8:09pm

Seen your down in the deep south Sheepdog here's some real blues for you, good for a late Sunday afternoon after you've done the farm work, sitting around the fire with a couple of whiskeys -

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 23 Mar 2014 at 8:12pm

Nah, really funny is the gym, dawg in the gym. Its when things, the stories always start getting fucking hilarious. They come and go with monotonous regularity, tails between their legs, 'core. Man down! Stay in the woods.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 12:24am

Hey uplift, This is a thread Ben started about music, not all threads on SN need to be diverted to another 'uplift' dominated conversation. Stick to the subject, there are loads of other threads on here you could delve back into and rant on and on and on and on in. Hey, I might even read it, ahhhh..... Probably not.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 1:05am

SD , my favourite album of Helmet is Aftertaste .
Upty didn't get the link to mine .... mind you he's not that smart " but he can lift heavy things " .
SilliC , Burnside ... love it ...
Salt / sid , he's just the master of his own universe ....

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 6:34am

he's the master of fuck all. The only thing running scared here, is you Uppo, running scared from the barrel / lip, proning out to the shoulder in fear.

We got a name for you were I come from, we'd call you a 'tube avoider', tube avoiding is a mortal sin. I reckon I would've have had more barrels before school than you've had in your whole lifetime.

And baggin' the Foo Fighters for bringin' down the house at the Grammys with a Carly cover. What the fuck would you know? Dave Grohl's got a bit more music cred than you, he plays mean guitar for a drummer.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 7:14am

If Helmet are getting a jersey then South Ozzie's best export Mark Of Cain can do better than carry the oranges.
Best, tightest hard rock sound I've heard live.
Point Man.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 9:43am

I'd Have to agree there too Steve .... although with such extinguishment I'm sure you could afford them a
" The " : as in The Mark of Cain ......... In-terlop-eeeerrrrrrrrrrr ..... small man ... BIG voice .
Speaking of big voices , Next on this Hard/heavy music journey .... Mindsnare anyone ..... Matt's a tidy skater/surfer ....

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:02am

One of South Oz's best hands down.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:34am

Awesome FG! I remember a couple of blistering shows by the Mice at the Exeter back in the day. 

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:42am

Ahhh you young croweaters...... Mice, cain..... yeah... ok..... But Hindley st, circa late 80s/early 90s... New Century....... lived in adelaide for a little while then..... wild times......... Filthy scumbags were good.... As was this band.....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:59am

Always dug the back cover of Nest Of Vipers by the Exploding White Mice. The band in full longhaired, black stovepipe, sunken shoulders glory, gathered on a limestone headland with a small reefebreak peeling away in the background. Aussie punk meets the coastline.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 11:02am

The Mice did pre date that scene here's a fav from the Hindley /Century era.Seen these guy's too many times to count It even has p

of the Century on the cover that will bring a tear to your eye sheepie

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 11:09am

Wow, forgot about them Fraser... They were unreal.... Remember some wild private gigs too, one in North Adelaide in an old sandstone place... A band called "meat"...... Talk about losing braincells..... Jesus christ they were wild times.... ;)

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 11:45am

Keep an eye out for this doco coming soon Sheepie

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 1:52pm

"If no-one out there understands just start your own revolution and cut out the middleman." - Billy Bragg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHbfZiE1D50

Radio National played a live set of his yesterday arvo. Took my eldest to the city, went to an Indian festival, ran around at Darling Harbour, shared a bento box in Glebe. Billy then sung to us all the way home.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 2:36pm

Stunet - Suggs from Madness used to host a tv show in England..... Here's Billy..... Classic...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 3:29pm

Cheers SD. And here's another old one. Billy teaming up with Wilco to sing Woody Guthrie's scrapbook songs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwcQAlRn0Gs

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 4:28pm

Epic thread everyone.

I've been getting into older reggae and ska lately. Not obsessing so don' t know too many bands but been loving Baba Brooks.

If you dig this kind of stuff, listen to Positive Vibrations which is a reggae show on KEXP radio from Seattle. They keep their shows online for two weeks to stream. Well worth it.

Oh and hell, I've also been loving Foggy Mountain Rockers who are a German surf/rockabilly band. Of course.