Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 10:20am
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 25 Feb 2017 at 12:52pm

And one for you turkey! The next US number one.

https://m.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 2 Mar 2017 at 8:16pm

Kurt would have been 50 if he was still alive, this is one of his last interviews and a good one, he seems happy and switched on, almost feels like it was only recorded last week.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 3:01pm

Big day today as my Sydney band Grün releases its second album, Manyana. Here's one of the louder tracks. 

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 3:46pm

well, let me crank up the amp and let those speakers do their thing...

that sounded great. especially the chorus(?) bits where it really rocks out.

ben, what instrument are you playing?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 4:18pm

Thanks mate. I play the drums. 

Rest of the album is pretty diverse too, it's all here: https://grun.bandcamp.com/

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 4:58pm

Sorry Ben, was that released today or mañana?

:)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 5:08pm

Ha ha

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 6:27pm

Nah, it'll be available only in the morning.

Hmmm, not sure if that joke worked.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 7:40pm

Warning: contains filthy ear worms

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Sunday, 5 Mar 2017 at 2:34pm

This track is sick:

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 6 Mar 2017 at 2:45pm

great old song

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 6 Mar 2017 at 3:12pm

@ TT

Love having a binge on Sleaford Mods. Like a Pommy blagger version of Suicide with something to say.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 6 Mar 2017 at 3:20pm

thanks for introducing me to the sleaford mods.

mark e smith with suicide as his backing band...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 6 Mar 2017 at 3:32pm

Fitting description...

gunther's picture
gunther's picture
gunther Tuesday, 7 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 7 Mar 2017 at 3:10pm

Fuck, that's not bad gunther.

Obvious influences of Panthalassa - sweet.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 17 Mar 2017 at 6:25pm

well, it is that time of year, right enough...

Vale big fella, Colin Riot, good man.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 27 Mar 2017 at 8:48pm

William Crighton touring soon, don't miss this one!

https://events.ticketbooth.com.au/events/22928

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 1:18am
nick-birdman's picture
nick-birdman's picture
nick-birdman Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 4:52pm

Hi all - I'm new to this forum but this is a tune by my Adelaide surf punk band The Molting Vultures about mid-coast break The Trough. Footage by Connor Gurr and Robert Mi. The MVs have been playing around the traps for 13 years and have just put out a Best Of album on Off The Hip records..!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 5:34pm

Nice organ. I like it! Gotta tune about Fred Nerks?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 5:00pm

Yeah cool tune Nick, but I'm curious on the subject matter. The Trough has gotta be the weakest wave on a coastline that ain't exactly renowned for power. 

Nice thick sound (for a surf band).. would be great to hear live.

nick-birdman's picture
nick-birdman's picture
nick-birdman Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 7:51pm

Hey Turkey - not Nerks yet but we've got one on Triggs and Gulls (as well as one a bit further west....)! And yeah Thermy - there's a fair amount of irony in the (scant) lyrics. It's not too often the Trough goes off or overhead - as you obviously know. But hey, we still love it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 8:04pm

Thermy..?!

Ha ha ha....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 11:28pm

The old blonde bombshell Deborah Harry having another go
Blondie : Fun

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 31 Mar 2017 at 6:16pm

Debbie Harry is the coolest woman ever to gird my, or any thinking/non-thinking punk's, loins EVER. Oh, what a gal!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 31 Mar 2017 at 12:41am

For sure!!

nick-birdman's picture
nick-birdman's picture
nick-birdman Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 12:09pm

Sorry....Ben! :)

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 9:44pm

Father John misty is back and better than ever- check it

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 9:51pm

And this

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 6 Apr 2017 at 6:46pm
thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 7 Apr 2017 at 6:31pm

Jumped into an Uber yesterday and the young fella behind the wheel had Whitney Houston blaring on the speakers (WTF?). Only lasted a short while but now the bloody song is stuck in my head. How do I get rid of the bloody thing?

Coaster's picture
Coaster's picture
Coaster Friday, 7 Apr 2017 at 8:45pm

That's known as an earworm. One cure is to chew gum. Seriously.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Saturday, 8 Apr 2017 at 10:24am

Take a leaf outta Trumpy's play-book. Kill it with fire!

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Monday, 10 Apr 2017 at 7:12am

Re deborah Harry

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 9:11am

Heading up to Sydney this arvo to see these old blokes do a pub set at Selinas.

Yeah, I know, nostalgia ain't what it used to be. I can deal with it. Especially if they play this....

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 9:33am

Good on you Stu! Had a win in the ballot did you? Missed out myself, but will be at the Domain later in the year, hoping they play that one and that one and that one...
Nostalgia is what you want to make of it I reckon.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 9:40am

Yep. I got shafted when I bought tickets to the Wollongong show. They went on sale at 11am. I got mine at 11:02 yet they were back row 90 degrees to the stage?

Taking the ballot win as a bit of recompense.

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 9:44am

Pub gig? Definite win

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 9:57am

Midnight Oil apparently played a warm up secret gig at the Marrickville Bowls Club last Sunday.. just around the corner from where I was staying. Would have extended the trip if I could have got myself inside!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 10:34am

Saw these geezers the other night (with a few thousand other punters). Ah, nostalgia...and self-awareness

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 3:19pm

how were madness, turkey?
they played the capitol theatre, sydney in 1982. the dancing was so fierce the floor collapsed in front of the stage. the show went on, rudeboys and skins dancing away in the big hole.

ben, to get into the marrickville bowlo -- grab a milk crate and over the fence or through the window of the women's toilets.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 5:28pm

They were great, Chook. Nothing like a bit of brass blasting out. Lot of that old moon-stomping going on.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 5:36pm

Drinking in the beer garden and listening to the sound check. Heard the opening riff to Back On The Borderline.

Li'l excited....

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Thursday, 13 Apr 2017 at 6:08pm

Li'l bit jealous, as much by the drinking in the beer garden :) Enjoy, stunet.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 14 Apr 2017 at 3:59pm

Lined up early to get my wristband. Then lined up early at the door to get a good possie. Didn't want front row or anything like that, some place a bit back from the stage to take in the view and also give strategic access to the bar and the dunny. Grabbed one of those chest high circular tables, picked it up and put it off centre from the dance floor and back a bit, then filled it with Coopers. I stopped drinking Coopers last week when I realised the wholesome family owned company were pumping money into dubious social projects such as opposing same-sex marriage, but I had to put my integrity on hold as there was nothing else for sale.

Had my wife on one side and Richard, a diehard fan from Campbelltown who I first bumped into getting wristbands, then in the outside queue, and finally when I grabbed the table, on the other side. After all those chance meetings we figured we should just hang together. Richard's favourite album was 'Place Without A Postcard' so I figured he had something going besides a paunch and male-pattern baldness.

Best bit of the table strategy was it stopped any tall gits from blocking our view. As it happened two young girls, short young girls, chose to put their drinks on the table - they asked, we obliged. They then watched the whole show from there offering us an unobstructed view of the stage. Strategy plus.

Richard had seen Midnight Oil hundreds of times and reckoned the first number would be Outside World. He was right. The first song from their first great album. Others might argue and say Head Injuries was their first great album, and they wouldn’t have been disappointed as a few songs into the set Garrett said something about “Chatswood 1978” and then came ‘Cold Cold Change’. At the end of the song he put two fingers into the air and the band plays ‘Bus To Bondi’. Then three fingers and ‘Back On The Borderline’. All told he counts off eight songs from Head Injuries played in almost identical order as the album.

Despite that rally the set list is unpredictable, a hit song is followed by an obscure number from the end of side two somewhere in the back catalogue. It’s both frustrating and fantastic, but you gotta rationalise it. I can recall the overwhelming disappointment of seeing Sonic Youth do an anniversary tour of Daydream Nation where they played the entire album in order. The lack of surprise was sacrilege, especially for a band who traded on the subversion of norms. Put me off seeing any reunion tour, not the Buzzcocks, Pixies, Stooges, or anyone from my yoof. Let memories lay.

Not wholly sure why I made an exception for Midnight Oil, though Peter Garrett ran a not so subtle thread of relevancy through the set by quoting Dylan Thomas at various points. “Do not go gently,” he bellowed to the crowd, and sometime later, “Go angry into that good night, with love.” While recent events show that songs about nuclear brinkmanship and tinpot dictators haven’t passed their use by date.

And sure, branded protest music ain’t cool in the age of cynicism but no-one blinked when Neil Young released ‘Living With War’ after the 2003 Iraq invasion. In the face of abject silence from twenty-somethings, Nasal Neil took aim at his quarry. Didn’t merely rattle the cage but he defined his enemy. So maybe its an old folk thing, this surety of opinion and earnestness in delivery, but it hits way harder than some vague notion of being wronged.

The set proper ended with ‘Read About It’ and I could make a point about rich people getting richer and rising inequality but you get the point. The whole room was flailing limbs and flying sweat - it was fucking joyous. First encore started with ‘Wedding Cake Island’ which was the one song they were always gonna play at this venue. ‘Dreamworld’ got in there too, the film clip of which was shot on the roof of the dunnies at Coalcliff, the coast I now call home and that video is the reason Jim Moginie also calls it home. Wombarra homeboy yo.

All told they played 29 songs over two-and-a-half hours. At the end of it all Richard and I were grinning like gurners and we had a big sweaty embrace then went our separate ways into the night.

Set list:

1. Outside World

2. Only the Strong

3. Redneck Wonderland

4. Put Down That Weapon

5. Maralinga

6. Cold Cold Change

7. Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)

8. Back On the Borderline

9. Koala Sprint

10. No Reaction

11. Stand In Line

12. Profiteers

13. Is It Now?

14. Tin Legs and Tin Mines

15. When the Generals Talk

16. Common Ground

17. Luritja Way

18. The Dead Heart

19. Power and the Passion

20. B est Of Both Worlds

21. Shakers and Movers

22. Lucky Country

23. Beds Are Burning

24. Blue Sky Mine

25. Read About It

ENCORE 1

26. Wedding Cake Island

27. Forgotten Years

28. Dreamworld

ENCORE 2

29. US Forces

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 14 Apr 2017 at 4:25pm

Amazing. Wish I coulda been there.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 14 Apr 2017 at 5:05pm

Great review.

Sounds like the hell time.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 14 Apr 2017 at 5:16pm

Nice review Stu

Wow they played almost the whole of Head Injuries that's awesome, you would expect cold cold change, bus to bondi and back on the borderline, but would have been sick to hear the others live.