Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 6 Aug 2016 at 6:15pm

I mentioned this bloke in the Peter Garrett thread. William Crighton. The album is on high rotation at our place. This is a nice taste.

https://soundcloud.com/dashvillepresents/william-crighton-priest

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 2:14pm

Sometimes you need some music. Like, NEED it.

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 2:17pm
penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 8:48pm

Rodriguez....cold facts cant get enough.i think the second song could work in a surf sequence...

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 11 Aug 2016 at 8:50pm

Only good for conversation....

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 1:16pm

All from the same mind. And there's more on the books thread.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 18 Aug 2016 at 6:27pm

Meanwhile in 2016
https://m.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 8:10pm

Holy shit! Someone just sent me a link to a new Taman Shud track. Not sure about it yet. Mentioning Avalon in your lyrics is almost always a mistake, but it might survive that. I need a few more listens.
https://m.

....and there is gig coming up September 9 Bald Faced Stag Leichardt.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 10:12pm

....and if that isn't retro enough, grab your walking sticks and get off to this event!

https://theringer.com/oldchella-desert-trip-music-industry-d503d2fad3a8#...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 10:45pm

I listened to the new track and then went back and listened to Bali Waters and then gave the new track another go. Wow what a contrast, but I like it. Meaty base line. Cool clip too.

Cheers BB.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 23 Aug 2016 at 6:33am

The clip was done on an iPhone!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 23 Aug 2016 at 9:17pm

Did anyone catch this on the WSL broadcast?

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Tuesday, 23 Aug 2016 at 10:54pm

One of my favourite tracks of one of my favourite all time albums. Homelands by Nitin Sawhney. British born Indian fella. Struck such a chord around 2000. Anti nuclear album. Starts with the Indian PM announcing a successful nuclear test. Finishes with Oppenheimer quoting the bagavadh gita after his first successful test. Every track is different. This one is just a goodusical journey if you're into that.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 31 Aug 2016 at 5:26pm

Surf's up in cuntry WA. Yew!

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 11:09am

I've got a weird questio...I came across this track, Sunworshipper by Mylo, one of those fairly generic electro chill out songs. The sample of the fella talking throughout the song who'd had enough of "the material trip" (starts at 1:15), sounds so familiar, I swear I've heard almost the same voice saying something like that in some 70s surf film or something. It's fairly generic flower child sort of stuff but I'm wondering if there is someone talking like this in an old surf flick I've seen. Does he sound familiar to anyone else?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 2:59pm

It's driving me nuts now too Benski, i know I've heard that before too.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 8:09pm

Ah sorry mate!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 8:37pm

Hey Zen, I was walking down the street the other day and I looked down and there was a steering wheel hanging off the front of my shorts - it was driving me nuts.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 8:45pm

But was it taking them on a "material trip"?

...sorry, that's bad.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 8:58pm

Jeez, that was pretty marginal Benski!

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 11:00pm

To try and lift my game and link this back to the whats what thread, here's that memorable anarcho-industrial track from the 90s.

Used to love this song. I love the fury in it. I really appreciate apparently extreme ideas when they are expressed peacefully of course, because you can really use them to examine your own views and assumptions, if you're so inclined. So check it out!

And oddly, the spoken stuff always sounded to me a bit like the guy who did detachable penis.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 6:51pm

Melbourne band fronted by an Indonesian girl, these guys rock, hows her voice.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 7:31pm

benski, from the album notes for Sunworshipper by Mylo :-
'Vocal sample comes from an unknown source. While every effort has been made to find the copyright owner of the vocal sample, it has been so far impossible to locate them. We are continuing to search for the originator of this vocal and would welcome any information. '

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Saturday, 3 Sep 2016 at 1:30pm

Thanks wally. I guess we'll never know!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 10:31am

RIP Cecil Bustamente Campbell, the one and only Prince Buster, the big talking, good looking, prize fighting rude boy from Jamaica.

Madness took their name from one of his songs, they also covered his song 'One Step Beyond', in Judge Dread he gave the music world the first courtroom scene - "I am from Ethiopia to try all you rude boys for shooting black people" - later copied by everyone from The Specials to NWA, and he scooped some royalties when Levi jeans used 'Whine and Grine' in one of their ads.

Judge Dread

Al Capone

Too Hot

Whine and Grine

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 1:22pm

yeah, very sad news to hear prince buster is dead. i'm sure the bambu hut show on eastside radio (89.7) will have a tribute on saturday afternoon (4pm). "never, never" is on the record player atm...sublime music.

i heard stories about whenever he visited the UK, there would be a couple of hundred mods and rudeboys on scooters providing a cavalcade for his car.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 10 Sep 2016 at 11:44am

I mentioned William Crighton earlier but thought I might revisit him after listening to the album repeatedly over several weeks. For me, he is potentially the best Australian songwriter to emerge in a long time. Even though he doesn't sound anything like him, comparisons with Paul Kelly from the Gossip era come to mind most easily. There is that same adventurousness in material and the same broad emotional range. Gareth Liddiard of The Drones is another reference point, in terms of the Australian character of the material and the uncompromising subject matter.

It says something about an artist that the first single from his first album would be about the murder of a paedophile priest, a song which, surely not coincidentally, is preceded on the album by another about a young man's suicide. So this is a serious artist, exposing emotional vulnerabilities that most would hide behind a clever chorus. The extent to which songs represent an artist's own experience is always a fertile field for speculation, but in the end it makes little difference. Great songwriters and performers take us there. They bring the experience, real or imagined, to us with such power we feel it's full emotional weight.

Musically the album has one of the rarest qualities, absolute consistency, not just in the standard of the songs, but in the overall sound. With Matt Sherrod, of Crowded House, on drums it never falters, it swings and rocks seamlessly from beginning to end. If you want a genre I suppose alt country might be as close as it's possible to get, but this is something much tougher than your recycled Nasville clone or wannabe Appalachian warbler. It is dark, and its Australian lyrics and vocal accents are matched by something distinctively Australian in its sound; feint echoes perhaps of 80s pub rock.

Australia, on its record, is pretty poor at recognising its greatest talents. Paul Kelly slugged it out for years in the pubs before reaching a wider public. Nick Cave's popularity in Australia came after he had moved on. The Drones, well what can you say about a band with a back catalogue like theirs that still slips under the radar? The advantage, for the astute, is that lack of recognition increases their availability. You can see them in small venues long after a performance of that standard would be expected only in some larger less personal space. William Crighton is playing a few festivals around the place in coming months including Dashville in the Hunter Valley. Don't miss the chance!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Saturday, 10 Sep 2016 at 4:41pm

For any Nick Cave fans out there, checkout his film "One more time with feeling". I personally thought it was brilliant on many levels.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 5:16pm

Hey blindboy you weren't wrong about mr crighton, bloody unreal, thanks to you its on permarepeat, he was in tassie a month ago before I was aware of him, he'd be epic live,

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 5:27pm

Yeh I am hoping to catch him at Dashville at the end of the month. His first tour went right under the radar. Glad someone out there agrees with me!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 3:07am

Metallica seem to be back to their Thrash roots.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 1:31pm

groundswell did you see this? Some fella re-doing the tone a few times so "Old Metallica" covers the new track. Not quite spot on but definitely reminded me how much I liked everything before Justice.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 4:09pm

No i hadn't seen that thanks, done well.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 14 Sep 2016 at 2:20pm
benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 12:00pm

Going back to the alt.country and folky country stuff....

This Year by The Mountain Goats. I'm fortunate enough to not be able to relate directly to the story in the song but I love the defiance in the chorus line. I am gonna make it through this year, if it kills me. Such great simple story telling too.

Lyrically those guys are brilliant on that album actually. Dark story telling but well done.

On the Australian front, I've been really enjoying My Friend by Cash Savage And The Last Drinks.

Love the opening.

I heard that pride comes before a fall.
I don't remember being proud at all.

But for some reason the tone in the chorus line sounds great to me. "To pull me out again", the tone on again really strikes an appealing cord for me.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 23 Sep 2016 at 6:15pm

Jack White Acoustic. By far the most interesting thing he has ever done.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Saturday, 24 Sep 2016 at 1:02am

Sturgill for president

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Sep 2016 at 3:14pm

Had this cranking yesterday on the highway.. what a great band! 

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Sep 2016 at 3:17pm

What a terrible film clip though!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 2:42pm

Yes, vale Prince Buster. Too hot.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 6:22pm

Saw Madness in London and at Festival Hall in Melbourne. They were better in Melb.

Great band.

For the older crew:

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 6:41pm

Dunno about Madness but that was an awesome track. Thankyou.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 8:38pm

Zena, hopefully you took a look at some of the other Zep acoustic tracks there. If not this is also a cracker:

Best version of Stairway:

Last typhy swell for you for the year as this one takes the usual route this time of year around the back and pops out the front of you:

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=npac_height

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 4 Oct 2016 at 10:40pm

Cheers Disco, Thursday looking the goods. That point you mentioned is my local and it will daresay be on.

Also, followed on from the first link- Robert Plant, probably one of the most blessed when it comes to a voice within a white man (or maybe Glen Shorrock), Jimmy Page and JPJ. Can think of worse ways to kill a bit of time. Thanks again for the prompt.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 1:34pm

Serenity now!*

One of those days? Primal scream therapy is in order. Though you need to ramp it up in gradations to get the full benefits.

*Insanity later!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 2:08pm

hell yeah! "new rose" is such a good song. only bettered by "neat, neat, neat". strange how the damned has been so marginalised in the whole history of punk. easily the best and most important of the british punk bands, along with the stranglers.

here is an unknown punk classic...the demics from london, ontario....

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 6:50pm

New Rose is a cranking song but does anyone hear similarities between it and Wang Dang Sweet Poontang which was brought out a year later?

Who would have thought that Ted Nugent would be borrowing from The Damned.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 7:57pm

Punk? That shite? Eff me, but you clearly didn't live through the punk era. That is dribble. Piddle. Shite stinking garbage.

In terms of real punk, you cant go past the pistols, dead kennedys, perhaps some generation X, or Siouxie and the Banshees. Hell the clash weren't even punk so what is that trash you posted? Demics? Hell the Saints and Radio Birdman were more punk than that rubbish you posted.

Celibate rifles are probably one of the few that kept the tradition going longer than most.

Toppa's picture
Toppa's picture
Toppa Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 8:30pm

Not usually a metal fan, rather an old softie. Here is a modern take on a Simon & Garfunkel classic!

Toppa's picture
Toppa's picture
Toppa Wednesday, 5 Oct 2016 at 8:30pm

Not usually a metal fan, rather an old softie. Here is a modern take on a Simon & Garfunkel classic!