Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:11am

Had a JB raid this week. And got the best double CD I've bought in years.

WARUMPI 4 EVA - the complete WARUMPI collection. Raw and Hardcore Blackfella thrash Rock, with a few Dreamtime melodies and coupla rockabilly kicks. Made me realise , I'd forgotten, these guys were grunge decades before grunge was grunge. Neil Murray was apparently awesome at a sth coast gig last weekend BTW.

Highly recommended.

Going to see Frank Yamma at Yackandandah on 19 March.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:13am

sidthefish wrote:

Had a JB raid this week. And got the best double CD I've bought in years. WARUMPI 4 EVA - the complete WARUMPI collection. Raw and Hardcore Blackfella thrash Rock, with a few Dreamtime melodies and coupla rockabilly kicks. Made me realise , I'd forgotten, these guys were grunge decades before grunge was grunge. Neil Murray was apparently awesome at a sth coast gig last weekend BTW. Highly recommended. Going to see Frank Yamma at Yackandandah on 19 March.

Where'd he play on the South Coast?

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:20am

Hi Stu, Cobargo Folk Fest I believe. I wasn't there but friend said her folkes was raving. But Franky def on at Yack.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:38am

sidthefish wrote:

Hi Stu, Cobargo Folk Fest I believe. I wasn't there but friend said her folkes was raving. But Franky def on at Yack.

Cheers Sid. Neil is always great to see live, however Yackendanbah is a tad far for me.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 3:24pm

Oh yeah Ocher.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 5:12pm

Blokes don't make passes at lasses with glasses?

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 5:23pm
stunet wrote:

sidthefish wrote:

Cheers Sid. Neil is always great to see live, however Yackendanbah is a tad far for me.

Nah, wouldn't recommend Yack for a coasty, I'm going cos it's not far from the Ozarks. I was spewin , was asked was I going to Cobargo, but she never said Neil was playing and I been to busy to check up.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 3:14pm

This band was cool... Shame i can't find "Kids play with guns"... it is on a compilation which I'll share later

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 9:28pm

ABC right now

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 9:37pm

Catalyst, the tail end.

Was amazing to see an old fella with parkinson's, who could hardly walk, as soon as music was played he danced so smooth and in control...
Wow..

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 10:54pm
wellymon wrote:

Catalyst, the tail end.

Was amazing to see an old fella with parkinson's, who could hardly walk, as soon as music was played he danced so smooth and in control...
Wow..

Reminds me of a blues song

https://m.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 11:48pm

Used to own this... Got stolen by some fucktard.... Would love to own it again..... Classic Aussie hardcore compilation... Note the different version of "custom credit" by cosmic psychos... Best version I've heard... Also note track 8 at 16.54.... "Kids play with guns"..... Fuckn rocks...... So many good songs on this.... Album 2 is just as hot.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 11:34am

Great Adelaide bands on here. Septic Saw Blades! Where's the Pope?! Filthy Scumbags! Fear n Loathing! You got this vinyl Fraser-Gordon?

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 8:38pm
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 9 Mar 2016 at 8:38pm
wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 5:01pm
tim foilat wrote:
wellymon wrote:

Catalyst, the tail end.

Wow..

That is GOLD tim
How is the harmonic player's moustache...!
Cheers;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 8:19pm

Shats..... Album 2

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 9:15pm
wellymon wrote:
tim foilat wrote:
wellymon wrote:

Catalyst, the tail end.

Wow..

That is GOLD tim
How is the harmonic player's moustache...!
Cheers;)

That moustache is the definition of understatement! Classic.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 9 Apr 2016 at 12:59am

" can't you see me I'm screaming out your name "

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 12:04pm

Any excuse for a pint of the black stuff.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 18 Mar 2016 at 7:40pm

"feelin kinda free" the new Drones album is out now and streaming. Get a taste here.
http://www.thedrones.com.au

Gareth reckons you can dance to it.......don't know about that but you gotta love it. They are in another league to what else is around. No cliches, no recycled riffs, no rap, no rip offs, just a close examination of the weirdness of being human.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Saturday, 19 Mar 2016 at 5:44am

You need to get out more, geez

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 20 Mar 2016 at 12:22pm

Flashback to the old days.... Viva la revolution..

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 5 Apr 2016 at 9:20pm

PRIDE COMES...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 5 Apr 2016 at 9:21pm

BEFORE THE FALL.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 6 Apr 2016 at 6:27am

Disturbed............

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 6 Apr 2016 at 9:00am

Great Australian noise.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 6 Apr 2016 at 10:04pm

sweet.......

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Thursday, 7 Apr 2016 at 8:21am

Exit stage left sweetie..........

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 7 Apr 2016 at 2:25pm

Definitely stage right for ol' Merle. Waaaay right. Nixon & Reagan's favourite country singer. Then again, you can't pick your fans!

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Thursday, 7 Apr 2016 at 7:22pm

More left of center for you old Turkey yew!!!!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 8 Apr 2016 at 10:46am

Scottish turkeys from the other Perth. I like it. Reminds me of this lil ditty.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Friday, 8 Apr 2016 at 4:57pm

haha one up ya.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 8 Apr 2016 at 6:32pm

NOW THAT IS A STONE-COLD CLASSIC!

Hats off.

Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 11 Apr 2016 at 12:05pm

Digging the noise above. And then there are these progenitors. Take a moment and think of the good, the bad and the ugly these guys inspired. Awesome legacy. Can't wait to see 'em one last time this week. Hang in, dudes.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/black_sabbaths_1972_cocaine_budget

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 11 Apr 2016 at 12:14pm

Ha Ha Snowblind indeed, Shatnerd! No Bill Ward is a bummer. But Iommi, Geezer and Ozz though. Last drinks, gentlemen!

Riff/noise/blast on, punks!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 12 Apr 2016 at 6:57pm

I had to leave the worse songs thread...... For now....... It's doing my head in....... I need to listen to a real song......

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 17 Apr 2016 at 9:53pm

Im a huge gunners fan Appetite for destruction would probably make my top ten album list of all time, i love Lies and a lot of use your illusion 1 & 2.

But really Axl Roses new front man for AC/DC???? (at least to finish the current tour)

Seems it's no longer a rumor but confirmed, Im not even that big fan of AC/DC but you cant be serious this is like a joke it cheapens the legacy further of both bands.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ac-dc-confirm-axl-rose-is-new-lea...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 8:16am

Blasted DK's Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death on the way home from work last night.. fantastic! 

Never realised this album went Gold in the USA.

And thanks to the wonders of Wikipedia, I now know the backstory behind "Pull My Strings":

The album includes the controversial "Pull My Strings" which was played only once on March 25, 1980, when Dead Kennedys were invited to perform at the Bay Area Music Awards in front of music industry bigwigs to give the event some "new wave credibility". The band spent the day of the show practicing "California Über Alles", the song they were asked to play. In typically subversive, perverse style, the band became the talking point of the ceremony when after about 15 seconds into the song Jello Biafra said, "Hold it! We've gotta prove that we're adults now. We're not a punk rock band, we're a new wave band."

The band, who all wore white shirts with a big, black S painted on the front, pulled black ties from around the backs of their necks to form a dollar sign, then started playing "Pull My Strings", a satirical attack on the ethics of the mainstream music industry. The song also referenced The Knack's biggest New Wave hit, "My Sharona". The song was never recorded in the studio but this performance, the first and only time the song was ever performed, was included on the album.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 10:33am

Interesting to compare Dead Kennedys era punk to Green Day/Blink 182 era power pop which used punk as a marketing term.
And didn't the punters lap it up?

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 1:39pm

Thats classic thermy, i love that album but didnt know the pull my strings backstory, i stumbled onto it waaaay back in '02 when i found a tape of it in an op shop in whistler canada( along with a john denver greatest hits tape!?!) they became the soundtrack to the rest of my travels, ah the memories,anyhoo re pop/punk i must admit to flogging greenday and the offspring to death back in the day, still good songs though. Btw have you come across adelaides own bad dreems yet? Well worth a spin or two imho

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 2:58pm

Bad Dreems? Never heard of 'em. I'll check them out.

Fun fact #438: as I type, the cafe downstairs is blasting out Radio Birdman! I think I'll grab another coffee as a sign of my appreciation. 

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 5:28pm

Bad dreams were probably the best Aussie group I came across last year. Great live too

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 5:56pm

Great tune for amping for tomorrows swell.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 7:26pm

that wasn't quite as amped as i was expecting.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 8:04pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 8:26pm

They sound alright have a nice Aussie guitar sound, was thinking i could hear a few influences there from some late 80,s period Aussie bands.

Cant help thinking that song above was also infulenced by GOD= My Pal

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 8:34pm

BTW. Nice to know there is still gems out there from the past, how goods this song...kinda sabbathy with a psychedelic twist.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 8:39pm

Modern day kinks rolled in dirt

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 8:46pm

Speaking of God...

A funny little interview with them as teens before beer, cynicism, and heroin came along. Two of them fell to the needle.