Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 8:32pm

Joy Division doco coming up on the ABC 8.30 tonight

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 9:59pm

Thanks for the heads up Udo. Ran off to watch it as soon as I read your post.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 24 Aug 2015 at 3:08pm
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

Is he the best ever surfer/muso, muso/surfer to date?

Sunnyboy!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 24 Aug 2015 at 4:04pm

Saw Tom Curren live in a small club a couple of weeks ago.

He's pretty damn good too.

And not a bad surfer to boot:)

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Tuesday, 25 Aug 2015 at 12:01pm

I recently moved to the coast so i can be closer to the ocean... surfing was always on my 'get to it later' list - well - later is now -

i'm also a muso - have played in bands for a good number of years... was in a dirty swamp rock band for a while and have recently been enjoying the shit out of jamming some old school krautrock / electro experimental stuff...

I guess on that note - right now - experimental/prog bands from the late 60s/early 70s is what i like to listen to the most - mainly the German stuff, but also a fan of Crimson Floyd etc... mind you after listening to Can etc - Floyd comes across a little flaccid at times

anyway there is something about the pulse and the organic structure of that kind of progressive music that matches the endless ebb and flow of the waves like nothing else... there is a harmony that also comes from the repetitive rhythmic beats - or the motorik as some call it

Can, Neu!, Harmonia, Cluster, Amon Duul, Ash Ra Tempel, Faust and the list goes on

krautrock is a bit of a pejorative term made up by the UK press to mock bands like kraftwerk back in the day - but a lot of those bands ended up wearing the term like a badge of pride... i think Faust actually named one of their albums krautrock' to take the piss out of the NME...

the preferable term is 'kosmische' - - - cosmic music...

i remember seeing one of the guys from Can interviewed.. at the time when Germany only had 'Schlager' which was this kind of godawful crooning pop (like Cliff Richard type stuff) and it was a real conservative post WW2 vibe - meanwhile as Germany was trying to work out who it was in the late 60s they were being bombarded by music from the UK (Beatles / Stones) and Blues rock from the US

and all the 'youth' back then - the art students and subversives didn't want the 'Schlager' that the establishment was pushing on them - but they also didn't want to emulate the beatles or the stones or black american music of the time

so rather than looking over there (UK) or over there (US) they looked up - in to space - and that is where they got their inspiration - hence the term kosmische...

anyway - blah blah blah - hi everybody - goot to be a part of swellnet - figure this was as good a place as any to say g'day

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 25 Aug 2015 at 1:09pm

good read, Smurfburger, cheers.

I'm really interested in German post-war artistic/cultural expression...especially film (New German Cinema)...but music too.

I was introduced to this guy via Jello Biafra many moons ago.

Strange 'Schlager und Volksmusik' stuff.

...now, don't get me started on Baader-Meinhof/Red Army Faction/SPK...where did the 'Kosmische Musik' fit in there, I wonder?

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Monday, 31 Aug 2015 at 10:41am
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

good read, Smurfburger, cheers.

I'm really interested in German post-war artistic/cultural expression...especially film (New German Cinema)...but music too.

I was introduced to this guy via Jello Biafra many moons ago.

Strange 'Schlager und Volksmusik' stuff.

...now, don't get me started on Baader-Meinhof/Red Army Faction/SPK...where did the 'Kosmiche Musik' fit in there, I wonder?

Heino - oh god - if he isn't the result of some kind of eugenics experiment...

a lot of the musicians (and filmmakers - Herzog, Fassbinder, Von Trotta etc) of the time rejected the Baader Meinhoff stuff... maybe they entertained a few romantic notions initially - but i think it kinda faded away when they realised that BM were just psychopaths though Amon Duul formed in this weird art collective / commune of which Meinhof was also a resident / member - it's also where a few of the other RAF came from...

generally, the kosmische stuff was comprised of left wingers - quite the antithesis of the neo fascist stuff that also sprang from some of that commune living - in fact the main guy behind Faust was also a prolific lefty journo and (yet became) very outspoken re: RAF etc

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 6:09pm

I don't know if the RAF could be described as neo-fascist in any way, shape or form...or psychopathic either.

Interesting times for the left in the west in the late 60s/early 70s....especially the young, passionate and increasingly frustrated, white-bread, tertiary educated, bourgeoisie. The Weathermen/Weather Underground in the US; RAF in West Germany; The Angry Brigade in the UK (my particular interest).

The counter-culture vs contra-culture approach to resisting/dismantling capitalist machinations...when very real institutional state wars were afoot too.

In the end, counter-cultural practice gets co-opted and absorbed...contra chased into a corner and destroyed. Sometimes both. For the most part.

Actually, apropos of nothin', here's some strange political/musical bedfellows. MOVE and the Eurogliders!

http://onamove.com/about/

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/13/406243272/im-from-phil...

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 6:59pm

love can- egg bayamasi! cool to see other people on here into it

Abmay's picture
Abmay's picture
Abmay Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 10:07pm

Some great albums listed on here. Heaps I could add but I'll start with 2: 1)Debut self-titled album by Drenge is great kick ass rock n roll if that's your cup of tea. 2) 'Hully Gully' by Don Walker is packed full of great tunes.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 3:33pm

Nothing unconventional but I've been loving Leon Bridges since I first heard his album. Dials back the stress man. Shit.

And finally listened to Dirty Three. Gees man, those fellas strike a chord.

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Monday, 31 Aug 2015 at 10:42am
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

I don't know if the RAF could be described as neo-fascist in any way, shape or form...or psychopathic either.

Interesting times for the left in the west in the late 60s/early 70s....especially the young, passionate and increasingly frustrated, white-bread, tertiary educated, bourgeoisie. The Weathermen/Weather Underground in the US; RAF in West Germany; The Angry Brigade in the UK (my particular interest).

The counter-culture vs contra-culture approach to resisting/dismantling capitalist machinations...when very real institutional state wars were afoot too.

In the end, counter-cultural practice gets co-opted and absorbed...contra chased into a corner and destroyed. Sometimes both. For the most part.

yowsers - that was lack of attention on my part when posting - sorry - i was trying to talk about two things at the same time

have edited it so that it actually makes sense - though i do think there was plenty 'o' psycho in the RAF BMG - and it climbed exponentially with celebrity

Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 31 Aug 2015 at 11:44am

RAF tunes

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Monday, 31 Aug 2015 at 1:07pm

I am a huge fan of Cabaret Voltaire... also quite fond of Thee Chyldish - / Buff Medways and his other incarnations

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Monday, 31 Aug 2015 at 10:40pm

can't get enough of Courtney Barnett at the moment.killa stories sang deadbeat to a ripping guitar.also caught her on the jimmy fallon show doing 'the avante gardner'.WOW

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 4:52pm

Old school punk and thrash still....looking through the collection vinyl,tapes,and early cd's I still love this stuff...angry samoans,doa,exploited,exodus.and the more obvious. And aussie depression,vicious circle,massapeal,hard ons,and brissi bands vomit,rampant scabies,and dreamkillers.and the big names of that era.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 4:54pm

Jello (looking like Trotsky) and DOA

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 5:16pm

The eternal revolutionary. Fitting hair wear by Jello.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 5:17pm

Generally I love the classics. Especially if I can substitute 'Gary' for some of the words.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 5:18pm

Yeah yeah jello ....hows old joe keithley though,doa front man he was sick.still have an old live vhs doa and dks concert '84.. get that cunt on dvd one day.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 5:18pm

This one has worked for me in the past:

Ooooooh, I wanna dance with some Gary.
I wanna feel the heat with some Gary,
Oooooh I wanna dance with some Gary,
With some Gary who loves me.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 5:19pm

And this one:

Who down with Gary G? (yeah you know me)
Who down with Gary G?
Every Last Homie!

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 5:35pm
Gary G wrote:

Ooooooh, I wanna dance with some Gary.
I wanna feel the heat with some Gary,
Oooooh I wanna dance with some Gary,
With some Gary who loves me.

I think that noted philosopher William Idol said it best, GG:

Well there's nothing to lose
And there's nothing to prove
I'll be dancing with myself

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 5:42pm

When faced with a social dilemma, I often resolve my choice of action by asking: 'what would William Idol do in this situation'?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 6:06pm

Gary G wrote:

Generally I love the classics. Especially if I can substitute 'Gary' for some of the words.

I'm sure all Australian Crawl fans would know the song they sung about me.

"Ohhhhhhh Nettle, I would give anything just to be like you."

Great song.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 6:25pm
Gary G wrote:

Fine young cannibals....gary.......were sorry......wont you come on home......we worry......

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 8:20pm

gary doesn't live here anymore

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 8:35pm

Love the Fine Young Cannibals:

She drives me Gary, Oooh oooh.
Like no one else, Oooh Ooooh.
She drives me, Gary, and I can't help myself

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015 at 8:38pm

Got me looking so Gary right now, your love's got me looking so Gary right now.
Got me looking so Gary right now, your touch's got me looking so Gary right now.
Looking so Gary in love got me lookin' got me lookin' so Gary in love.

Wow you guys, this is just like I'm liveblogging a big night out with Gaz for y'all right now.

Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 11:13am

A little Simon and Garfunkel is in order ....

Hello Gary, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of Clivus.

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 11:27am

Swing low.... sweet chariot,
Comin' for to Gary me home;

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 12:10pm

Boy, you gotta Gary that weight
Gary that weight a long time
Boy, you gonna Gary that weight
Gary that weight a long time

:)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 12:13pm

New Foals album is out and there's a mix of their older synth stuff and some more rocky tracks. Great album and worth getting into!

What Went Down is its name.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 12:14pm

Oppa is Gary style, Gary style
Oppa is Gary style, Gary style
Oppa is Gary style

Eh- Sexy Lady, Oppa is Gary style
Eh- Sexy Lady oh oh oh oh:)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 12:16pm

Craig, is there any lyrics with Gary in them in the New Foals album?

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 12:39pm

Zen, how about: I see a Gary at my gates?

Funny you should mention it , that album has the same title as my soon to be penned autobiography.
"What went down - a night with Gary G"

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 12:48pm

Haha, Gary at my gates would be an aweful fright!

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 1:39pm

I know it's hard to make out the finer details of the photo as the eyes are naturally drawn to my massive rig, but my profile pic depicts a Gary at the gates, in a towel; which is how I like to party.

Don't worry Craig, I'm here to make love, not war.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 18 Sep 2015 at 2:58pm

ABC 9.30 tonite : Stranded 'The Saints'.

3 days later im still singing Stranded, cant get it out of my fucking head !

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Sep 2015 at 3:08pm

My Sydney band Grün has finally got around to releasing the first video from our upcoming second album.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 16 Sep 2015 at 4:17pm

Cosmic!

Nice one Ben, cool track.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Sep 2015 at 4:53pm

Thanks Zen. Cosmic? Never had that title bestowed upon the band before (I'll take it as a compliment anyway!).

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Wednesday, 16 Sep 2015 at 5:19pm
thermalben wrote:

My Sydney band Grün has finally got around to releasing the first video from our upcoming second album.

Grün - The Vicious from Grün on Vimeo.

great track and a very classy clip thermalben - if you guys ever find yourself near Adelaide shout out and we'll do a show

ummm since we're sharing - here's my old rock band - disbanded about 18 months ago - this was all over RAGE for a while - we did two EPs and one album - played around 200 shows over 5 years... good times

https://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

we made the clip ourselves - in my back yard with green screens - cost about $100 in beer and props - helps if the singer is a VFX artist :)

and here's our new thing - we've gone more electro - first up we decided to reinterpret a fleetwood mac cover - not doing too badly overseas on itunes etc but our original stuff is a lot more krautrock / experimental - just demos at this stage - we'll be going in to the studio early next year

https://thanes.bandcamp.com/track/dreams

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 16 Sep 2015 at 10:07pm

Hi Ben I have been looping "Greenland" from Apple music most of the evening. Very cool.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Sep 2015 at 6:25am

Thanks BB - I didn't play on that album (they released it a month before I joined - the old drummer went overseas) - but it's unreal I reckon. Live, they're much different to anything I was used to playing with my Adelaide bands - Grün use a lot of loops and delays - but it's been a good challenge to tackle it without resorting to wearing headphones.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Sep 2015 at 6:26am

Here's two clips from the band's first EP (when they were originally called Greenland.. had to change names due to another band with the same name). We still play these songs live too.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Sep 2015 at 6:27am

Interestingly, for this clip (and the last one above too I think) each song was edited (verses and choruses cut in half) so as to match the clip's storyboard. Works well as a video but I prefer the longer versions of each song. 

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Sep 2015 at 6:29am
Smurfburger wrote:

we made the clip ourselves - in my back yard with green screens - cost about $100 in beer and props - helps if the singer is a VFX artist :)

Nice work mate! Wish I'd done some film clips with my Adelaide bands (Diplomat and Rash) but we just didn't have the resources at the time.

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Thursday, 17 Sep 2015 at 9:36am

Hey I reckon we probably have a few mutuals - Burning Sea - etc

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Sep 2015 at 9:43am

Indeed we do! Nat was best man at my wedding - we've been playing in bands together since we were 14. Love those guys and all of the interrelated bands.. Adelaide has such an incredible music scene that I'm very proud to have been a part of (and still kinda do, in a fleeting way whenever I'm in town - we've half finished a new Diplomat album that'll hopefully be released later this year).