Advice for the Sunshine Coast.

blink23's picture
blink23 started the topic in Thursday, 24 Apr 2014 at 11:44am

Hey guys, just looking for some advice from anyone living on the Sunshine coast. I'm relocating there from W.A and just need to work out what area i should live in, i was thinking maybe Alex heads or Coolum , what are the areas i should steer clear of??

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 24 Apr 2014 at 12:03pm

Not Alex..... That's for sure...... I'm bias towards my old home of Coolum.... There's another little spot between there and Noosa..... If I had to move back, that's where I'd go...... or back to Coolum....

blink23's picture
blink23's picture
blink23 Friday, 25 Apr 2014 at 2:19pm

Yeah Coolum sounds really nice! And it also looks really nice north of there. I've only ever been to Noosa and didn't get time to have a good look around other areas.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 25 Apr 2014 at 8:43pm

I lived at Sunshine beach for a stint and down Caloundra for a few years, but if i was to move up there and could afford too, id live around the Coolum area not just for the waves but its also a nice area and your still not to far from Marachydore etc for shopping etc and its not far from Yandina great markets on the weekend.

Hope im not offending anyone here, but id avoid the south end of the sunny coast, set ups are pretty average and it misses so much south swell due to those damn islands, its also pretty built up with little green space/bush.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 26 Apr 2014 at 11:16am

Yeah, Indo, and Alex has joined up with Maroochydore to the north, and mooloolabah to the south.... Urban wasteland...... Anywhere between the airport and Noosa is the go....
Btw - Freakn cold down here today..... And I don't know how I cope ( re' your question the other day)... I think a touch of madness helps.......

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 26 Apr 2014 at 5:11pm

Hey Blink, moved to the sunny coast myself not too long ago, I'd defo avoid Alex! It gets crazy with tourists in the summer and it's quite a small area. Coolum gets pretty hectic as well, no parking people everywhere sort of thing but it does have some nice spots away from the main drag. Just bear in mind that there can be extended periods of zero swell or swell ruined by wind particularly in the summer so if you just want to nip out for a carton and some lube you've still got to deal with the hordes.
If you want to be near a beach with waves try north of coolum, some lovely spots all the way up to Noosa and with a bit of effort you can find uncrowded waves up there. If you want other activities nearby I'd throw in maroochydore the main drag was a bit run down but they've sorted it out with nice places to eat and they put a bit of thought into events like an outdoor film festival and last weekend there was a world music and food festival which was good fun. If you like live music the sol bar is also along there, that whole little area doesn't seem to attract many holiday makers either, you can rent a place on the water without breaking the bank. Noosa and caloundra are 30 mins away but you won't need to go that far to find waves, there's great spots all along the coast, just south of Mooloolaba gets a fair bit of swell but as you get towards Caloundra it can be poor and moffats isn't as good as it looks. Even Alex is worth a look if you get in early or late, just don't live there.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 26 Apr 2014 at 7:09pm

Charlie Morland, close to the real action of the hominids :) Not far from the beach.
Just don't blink, you drive past it.

blink23's picture
blink23's picture
blink23 Sunday, 27 Apr 2014 at 8:56am

Some great advice fellas , cheers! Will defently have another look at the map and narrow it down , it will probably depend on where I will be working to. I'm pretty used to the long stints of no swell as I am currently in Perth.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 27 Apr 2014 at 10:54am

If by chance you do have to base yourself at the southend of the sunny coast, Kawana would be the go... sort of a little oasis amongst the madness..... Plus easy access to Carties, and good banks all the way to wurtulla....

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 2:23pm

You're right i-d, and even if locals were offended, the end result of the comment is to keep people away. So I think you could be forgiven ;-) I think Moffs is doing ok tourism wise, heaps of beamers, mercs, etc round there on the weekends

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 5:27pm

The Sunshine Coast. It has some exceptional longboard waves on occasion.
But, you can work on the assumption that there are no exceptional shortboard waves on the Sunshine Coast. Yes, there is that 'secret' reef. It rarely breaks and you won't get a wave anyway.
However, there are some very pretty spots and hundreds of sand banks. The water is clean, the water temp is warm to mild, and the water colour is an intense blue. The wind is usually offshore in the early morning. Most of the year, you can find a 3 to 4 foot peak with a 30 metre ride very easily, if you are not too fussy. There are also some very enjoyable bodysurfing spots. Winter can have lake-like conditions for periods, virtually no swell, but it can be breathtakingly pretty. If you just enjoy the water, don't expect world class waves, possibly have a variety of water craft, the Sunshine Coast is a nice place for the ocean person.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 6:25pm

Ummm, Wally.... Secret reefs.... reefs..... Geez, as a sunny coast local for most of my life, I could let loose on a few spots..... Fact is, there are some great shortboard waves.... And the rare times Noosa does get big (granite, outside tea tree, the pot), the mals get thinned out considerably. They all hang wide of the pot, or down at johnnos/ 1st point....
I think I could name these "shortboard waves"... They are no secret.....well........hmmmm........ A bay, point P****at ******, 1st 2nd and 3rd **** at ******, Clive Palmers lol, left and right reefs at kongs, a certain left near Mooloolabah, a certain right point and a platform reef not far from there.... a backbeach round the corner...... a reef further south, and another backbeach highlighted here on swellnet during the Luci swell....

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 7:28pm

No argument Sheepdog. I spend a fair bit of time there as most of my family live there. I don't know all the spots you do. Like most surf coasts, it does sometimes get really good. My point was, there are plenty of nice surf experiences, just don't EXPECT world class short board waves. I surfed one of those spots you mentioned a few years ago. The locals out at the break were calling it the best in 20 years. I had a great time, but the wave quality might have been equivalent to what you would get 20+ sessions a year at other Aus places I know pretty well.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 7:42pm

Cheers, Wally..... I suppose what the sunny coast lacks in consistency it gains in year round surfabilty..... Hence the massive crowds...... Where i live now u can get constant 10 foot surf, but often with roaring onshores, and snowcapped mountains in the background..... Up there u wait for the surf to come up. Down here u wait for the wind to back off....
Everywhere has pros and cons.....
But if you ever get the chance to surf kongs island.... Do it..... It'll blow your mind..... It'll change your opinion re' shortboard waves...... Same deal with that point/ platform...... Remember though, the reefs are sharp.... real sharp...... and shallow....

Michael the Dilettante's picture
Michael the Dilettante's picture
Michael the Dil... Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 8:15pm

Having moved to the Sunny Coast a few years ago from the Capricorn Coast (Yeppoon) I have really enjoyed the waves here, every few months I get a wave and think "thats the best wave I have ever had!" The crowds are to be expected and I have found that if I keep my expectations low when its busy I would still score a wave that was of a good quality. I have found the mood in the water to be good most of the time and can be friendly when its a quiet day. I have however scored a few injuries and had a few really close calls due to other peoples poor form. Its great, when there is no waves there is so much else to do. I

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 2 May 2014 at 8:34am

Didn't think platties was a secret? Have been surfing there lots lately. Such a shame it doesn't hold up in big surf, it would easily match some of the more famous sydney reefs for power and quality if it did.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 2 May 2014 at 9:36am

If you add fishing to the arsenal it's pretty fucking good.

some of the platforms and close reefs are world class....and a few hours north the fishing will blow your mind.

still, those flat spells. Damm shame because there's way more surf spots and set-ups than the Goldy. Wish some of them were down here and exposed to the S swells.

B.B.Blitz's picture
B.B.Blitz's picture
B.B.Blitz Wednesday, 1 Jan 2020 at 4:49pm

Lived here 30 plus years, prefer the north end,,,sure there are flat spells, dreaded northerlies etc but the best plan I find is get to indo as much as possible from October to December (surf doldrums on the S. Coast)and have a stern but friendly approach in the water...there are an increasing amount of kooks especially at Noosa.Crowds miraculously thin when the swell jacks but cyclone swells over hyped and crowded best avoid.