what ya drinking

rasda's picture
rasda started the topic in Tuesday, 1 Mar 2011 at 1:18am

johnnie walker double black for my double birthday yesterday

anyone tried ginger tequila cocktailImage

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 1:29pm

Santiago de Cuba. Best rum for under $40. Made by theCuban Rum Corporation. Not aword of English on the bottle. From Dan Murphy's only. Enjoy with soda and a dash of Bickford's lime cordial. Aaaaargh

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 3:03pm

A couple of 'cheap beer in the NW' stories.

First time up there doing it all on the cheap for an extended period. On the town mission always with an eye out for a bottlo bargain. Being parochial and the Emu range wearing thin fast, imagine how stoked we were when we found a home-town drop (well, it was made in our home-state on closer inspection) on a pallet, going for $15 a carton or thereabouts. Me and a mate thought we were killing it when we bought a coupla slabs each. First slab didn't make it back on the drive. Tasted like shite too. Next weekly trip into town it was all gone.

It was this stuff.

https://www.nicks.com.au/duff-beer-can-6-pack-simpson-s-collectable-6-x-...

We still talk about what could've been if we just bought and stored the whole pallet! Or a slab. Even a friggin' six-pack!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 3:01pm

Another time further up the coast. We'd been camping in the sticks near the outer reef waves and going into town when need be (best fishing ever, by the way). Nearing the end of our stint, we ventured in on a supply mission and hit the pub as you do. Lo and behold, I won the pub raffle. 'Mug of the week'. Free piss of your nominated choice for a full week. The choice was extremely limited. I hate VB. Crown was off limits. And that left the local drops. Emu. Bitter and Export. And Swan Draught. (Ironic) Yew!

But wait! There lurking down the bar was Swan Stout! I'm a fan of stout so there it was. A big weekend ensued. Then we left. Then we stopped at the Bombie just outta town. Cranking. Went out and proceeded to fuck my ankle. Hospital visit luckily showed I hadn't broken it, so it was back to the pub! As you do! For the whole week! Opening to closing.

They were glad to see the back of me.

Didn't even put me off Swan Stout. Too bad they discontinued it. Best mainstream WA beer for mine.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 2:00pm

When was this , Turkey ?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 2:51pm

Mid 90s onwards.

Thinking of that hospital, it had a 'gold phone'. It had THE 'gold phone'. So did the pub on the river at the other town in the first story. So did the pub down the road back in my home-town. It had a 'gold phone' for years! Only got rid of it this decade.

Everyone knows the legend of the 'gold phone', yeah?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 2:58pm

One day myself and a couple of mates decided to hit an offshore reef in the arvo after the offshore had died down to a manageable speed. We'd experienced a shitload of rain in the past fortnight and the dirt road to the beach we launched our boat from had allegedly been rendered impassable but we thought we'd give it a shot anyway.

So about 2 o'clock on a winters afternoon we set off down the 40 kms of pot holed , rutted crap to reach the spot that we'd push the boat out from the beach and journey the couple of kms out to the break .

About 20 kms - and a few mobile bongs - into the drive and my hilux lost steering and veered into the scrub off the shoulder of the road. The steering ball had broken and with the wind dropping nicely we were devastated that we'd miss the session , so we grabbed the anchor chain off my tinny - the same chain that held the boat to the trailer - and Gerry rigged the steering ball back together .

And we were on our way .

Few minutes later and of course the strap that was the only thing holding the boat to the trailer snaps and my tinny flys into the scrub also.

We get out and lift the tinny - which miraculously survived - back onto the trailer and tie it to down with legropes.

Back on the road , slowly , slowly .

We finally reach the launch site and the wind has dropped to dead glass. Surf must be pumping. As we're getting ready to launch a couple of girls come strolling over. Turns out they're camping on the beach . No one else here and they're bored . I couldn't give a fuck about them and just want to get to the reef and get in the water as daylight is limited.

One of the guys with me is just visiting after holidaying in Europe for a few months and he's straight onto these chicks , tuning as best he can. Telling them about the mad waves on the beautiful reef were going out to surf ....even though he's never even been there before.

He gets the girls all excited to see the reef but it's a small tinny with no spare room so it's not happening . With protests , my mate drags himself away from the chicks and gets in the boat and we're out there.

Arriving to find pumping waves with not a soul in sight . I'm straight over the side with my mate that is also just keen to surf. But the other bloke is saying he's going back to get the girls . I can't believe it , but he won't stop whining so I show him how to start the engine and he's gone.

Leaving myself and my mate to surf perfect waves to ourselves.

After half an hour when old mate hasn't returned I was getting pissed off , but the waves were so good I just kept surfing.

An hour later I was getting concerned. If we started paddling now we'd be paddling in the dark by the time we got to shore and the surf was still pumping. I was very much not into the idea of the night paddle . This was the same break that myself and a mate had watched a tiger shark aggressively mouthing the propeller on his tinny anchored in the channel whilst we were surfing. We'd lost many fish to sharks whilst trolling the ledge off the reef and through the reef pass.

Just as we resigned ourselves to the long , dark haul back to the beach we caught sight of a boat making its way out towards us. About fucking time.

Only it was a lone fisherman that was camped a few kms down the coast , going for a troll along the reef at dusk. He was as surprised to see us as we were to see him . Fella offered us a lift to shore after he'd done a lap of the ledge.

Half an hour later. Pitch black and with a huge Spaniard across the bottom of his tinny and we pull up at the beach we'd launched from to find my boat rolling around in the gentle Shorey. My mate no where to be seen.

Unbeknownst to us at the time , but he was currently in the chick's tent plowing the both of them .

We farewelled our fisho mate and dragged the boat onto the trailer and sort our shit out wondering where the fuck our other mate was.

Then down he strolls with the two girls , a shit eating grin and a warm Emu Export for each of us.

Turns out he couldn't restart the engine and just figured we'd be ok a couple of kilometres out to sea surfing over live coral and just gotten on with things.

It was hard to stay mad at the bastard . Especially when the girls kept the exports flowing. A couple of hours later and we up stumps and head for town at a snails pace with the two chicks and our lecherous mate following in their shitty Corolla.

Half way to town and we run into the rescue party sent by my missus to scour the lagoon in the dark in search of our missing and presumed imperilled selves.

Bush Chooks all round.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 3:46pm

Gold phone ?

Free call taxi for indigenous ?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 5:46pm

Hah! The ol' goldie! Classic. If you didn't know, well, you didn't know. I found a 'live' one in the middle of Melbourne once!

Free phone calls world-wide if you found a good 'un and knew what you were doing. A definite skill.

As for you Blowie. I dunno. Is this comment for real? Are you for real?

"Free call taxi for indigenous"

First thing that popped into your funny magical bald/blonde head?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 7:30pm

You've never seen the community bus getting around I take it ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 8:56pm

The old ' Bassoon unsubstantiated shit sling and run routine .

Its turning into your signature move.

kidkaos's picture
kidkaos's picture
kidkaos Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 10:11am

Blowin; not sure if i want to hear your explanation for that one either.
Moving along.....
Shat; believe you might also have enjoyed the 'Free' home delivery services provided by Australia Post on at least one occasion after a night on the tiles?
No doubt after a 'Sparkling Ale' or two!

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 1:24pm

Watch out KK, you'll freak Blowie out. No doubt he'll think you are me. Or Herc. Or Snuffy. Or Turkey. Or Purps etc etc

I think the concept of mates is a foreign one for him...or something. Here, there, in the outside world, wherever. But who gives a shit? Am I right?

'Borrowing' government vehicles, let alone 'hitching a ride', is not really on, kids. Funny, but. Kinda.

You a fellow traveller in the gold phone stakes, KK? An aficionado?

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 1:22pm

Getting back to shit beer, I nominate Bintang. Hard to avoid I know, especially in the jungle after the duty-free runs out. But it's shit. Really.
Then again, you could always not drink post-surf, I s'pose. Yeah, nah.

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 2:57pm

Yeh the Bintang goes warm pretty quick,sometimes starts that way as well,but it's all I've got.I've tasted worse,hello Emu export.The palm wine gets a run though,hammered for $3 while listening to dangdut.Heaven.Lissoi

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 5:11pm

Then you could steal the postie van !

Crazy!

Yeewww!!

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 6:48pm

On the Tangs already, Blowie? Or the Bu(ll)sh(it) Chooks?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 7:54pm

Off the piss for a while.

Otherwise it'd be VB o'clock.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 11 Aug 2017 at 10:24pm

VB = Virtual Bullshit?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 6:55am

Says the man that would have us believe he actually found a gold phone !

Surely that's bullshit . Such a radical story.

" When you and your friend , you made it with the cow - I wanna party with you !"

Lee Harvey Bassoon.

Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 2:08pm

You sure you're off the piss, Francis Soyer, sorry I mean Psycho, no, I mean Blowie?

(Am I on your list?)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 5:13pm

You're on my list of people that are obvious LIDD* sufferers and as a consequence I indulge you out of sympathy.

*LIDD - Lifestyle interest deficit syndrome. An affliction that leads its sufferers to reject the possibility that anyone else's life might not be as Beige as their own. Rather than accept blame that they themselves might be responsible for their unsatisfying existence they will deny the actions of others as a matter of course.

Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 7:37pm

And you've always been #1 on the 'psychological projection' (s)hit-parade, Blowie.

With a bullet/bull's shit.

& that's a fact, Jack.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 7:37pm

You realise that the " Psychological projection " call that you ( Shatner / Turkey ) keep laying down is nothing but a reimagining of " I know you are but what am I ? " don't you ?

Maybe put up another David Lynch quote in an attempt to draw a tenuous parallel between yourself and an original thinker . Or cry yourself to sleep pondering another week of work at the Rockingham bottlo drive through.

Whatever galvanises you against the harsh realities of your Beige / Bone / Off White existence.

You know the drill.

Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 7:39pm

PP, Blowie, PP.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 7:41pm

Ready for another big week , Shatner ?

Only 36 hours to go !

Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 8:02pm

PP, Blowie, PP.

Stacked in your fridge next to the EB and EE, of course.

For when the boys in the S.A.S.S* drop by for an impromptu de-brief.

(*sorry-arse shit-slingers)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 8:24pm

I've never drank an Emu Bitter or an Export that was kept in a fridge . Or out of a tap.

I've woken up in the long grass though.

You on the piss tonight you reckless drunk ?

Getting a few under the belt prior to trolling the parking lot for tottering skanks as they emerge from the Australian Manpower Tribute show at the Rockingham tavern are ya ?

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 10:20pm

i'm currently have an icy cold carlon dry... half sucked, watching Westcoast smash Carlton... jeez it tastes good, like angels pissing on my tounge.

Mort's picture
Mort's picture
Mort Saturday, 12 Aug 2017 at 10:27pm

Is that like a lounge that resembles a tounge?

Seymour Scagnetti's picture
Seymour Scagnetti's picture
Seymour Scagnetti Sunday, 13 Aug 2017 at 1:51am

Hahn Super Dry 3.5.....through the week anyway......
But come Friday , I'm unleashing on the full strength 4.6% gear !

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Sunday, 13 Aug 2017 at 9:25am

85 Grange (one glass but who looks a gift horse u know the drill eh) and Soporo on special this week...Ha!

Speaking of Soporo do you guys get those ads in bus shelters that are just one big glass of picture perfect beer?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 13 Aug 2017 at 6:05pm

No.

But I like the sound of them.

Currently drinking water like it's going out of fashion.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 1:44pm

Another kook.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 26 Dec 2018 at 5:05pm

Scored some Asahi Dry Blacks for Xmas.. very nice!

Also been trying many flavours form the local Tweed brewery 'Pickled Pig' - their dark beer is fantastic. Also have a good ginger beer and a bunch of nice ciders too (apple, pear etc). All preservative free so gotta put it in the fridge ASAP.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 26 Dec 2018 at 5:39pm

I’m so out of touch .

I thought that VB was making a resurgence amongst the Yoof , till I just offered one to a young person and they looked at me like I’d offered to finger their dog.

VB tastes very ordinary, I’m aware of that . But the vagaries of fashion and the winds of change....who the fuck knows ?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 11 Jan 2020 at 8:08pm

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 11 Jan 2020 at 8:17pm

6 pack if ol' milk drinker above is named.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 11 Jan 2020 at 9:17pm

Ha Facto, you just gave me a very fond memory.

My very dear friend and now ex-wife bought a large house in the leafy North Shore of Sydney and I rented a room from them for a few years. Anyway, most of our free time was him and I and her dad renovating- paving, painting, landscaping etc. And during that time we sank copious amounts of piss, carton after carton of beer, dozens of bottles of wine.

I remember the garbo would come once a week and the recycling truck every second. Kuringai council gave every house a black plastic tub to put your bottles and cans in and you'd leave it out the front on the nature strip. The recycling truck would come around 4:30 - 5:00 am and you'd hear it making its way up the street stopping at each house. In the distance you'd hear kish, kish, kish growing a little bit louder each time it got closer to our place. I remember lying in bed just giggling to myself when it stopped out the front of ours. I swear for what seemed like five minutes it was just KISH, KISH, KISH, KISH, KISH, KISH, KISH dumping boxes and boxes of empties in the truck. God knows what the neighbours thought? Then it would finally drive away stopping at each single house as one kish per house faded into the dawn.

Good times- my mate and i still laugh about that. Sadly his harpy of an ex took the house. Place is worth millions now.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 10:50am

Grand story there, Zenno. The KISH, KISH, KISH. There's a song in there. Like 'The Auld Triangle', kinda.

Speaking of which,..

https://ireland-calling.com/brendan-behan-quotes/

"To get enough to eat was regarded as an achievement. To get drunk was a victory."

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Thursday, 23 Apr 2020 at 2:09am

"Gentlemen, you are about to enter the most important and fascinating sphere of police work: the world of forensic medicine..."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 7:34pm

The wife and I have developed a taste for stout beer the last few winters, but not having any real history with dark beers we found what we liked in the boutique beer fridge, paying eye-watering prices for four packs of beer with names like 'Chocolate Stout Night Cap'.

The other week the local bottlo was sold out so the attendant asked, "Why don't you just drink Sheaf Stout?"

Thus we were put onto the joys of CUB's finest and haven't looked back. Tastes as good as anything the local micro-breweries can concoct and being one third the price means we can drink four times as much.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 7:46pm

Haven’t seen that one in QLD
This is always my winter beer. Bold, bitter and strong.
DF0-B3410-763-E-484-D-B211-8-D696-DFDD4-F9

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 8:05pm

I don't drink alcohol, but had a couple of Better Beer Zero Alc the other day at a party which were kinda nice.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 8:21pm
seeds wrote:

Haven’t seen that one in QLD
This is always my winter beer. Bold, bitter and strong.
DF0-B3410-763-E-484-D-B211-8-D696-DFDD4-F9

Enjoying a long neck as we speak. Nice stout alright. Cheers!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 8:35pm

Are you drinking straight out of the tallie? My better half shakes her head at me but I do. No glass needed IMO

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 8:38pm

Will try and find that one.
For me cannot beat a West Coast IPA... Just had a Black Hops Chair Force One which was rather tasty. Stout with coffee and chocolate... Yep craft beer wank... (•‿•)

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture

For me cannot beat a West Coast IPA... Just had a Black Hops Chair Force One which was rather tasty. Stout with coffee and chocolate... Yep craft beer wank... (•‿•)

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 8:40pm

Must be seeing in 3's... Sorry about that.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 8:42pm
seeds wrote:

Are you drinking straight out of the tallie? My better half shakes her head at me but I do. No glass needed IMO

Haha! Classic Seeds. Nah out of a glass. My better half would definitely shake her head!