Hanalei Fins

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot started the topic in Thursday, 4 Jan 2018 at 11:17am

A friend just lent me a set to try. Quite different to your normal fin template.

Anyone out there have any experience with these? Feedback would be great.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 4 Jan 2018 at 11:17am

sanded's picture
sanded's picture
sanded Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 3:02pm

Have a few sets as well as stock them in our shop!!
They surf well and smooth in transitions.
Designed by Robin Mair (Naval engineer as well as a hand shaper in hawaii)
and some made here with Lance at port mac.

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 7:35pm

I've got a set of the FTPs - on a quad kneeboard

I haven't had them in decent waves yet but they are fast, the fastest fins that I've ever had.

Not as much drive as C-Drives if you're trying to get around white water.

I'm still making up my mind about maneuverability as sometimes they are great and other not so. I been switching them between 3 boards that are quite different and so I don't think that I have given myself enough of a chance to get used to them.

The quality of them is great.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 8:06pm

Cheers for the reply’s.
I surfed them a few times in the same board. Varying wave types.
Sometimes they felt like there was too much fin when I went to turn. I didn’t mind them, but they also didn’t turn me into JJF. (To the surprise of no one)

To be honest I probably needed to hang on to them for a bit longer and try them out a bit more

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 2 Feb 2018 at 4:19pm

the split keel Hanaleis sure have won over the kneeboard crowd, that's for sure.
i've only recently started riding my first fish with keel fins and am happy with that set up. but when i do want a change i'll be getting a set of the Hanalei split keels.

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 7:55pm

GoofyFoot...These fins look unique...less drag possibly?...what's the feeling like using these now..how are they going for you.....any progression since earlier reports...?

smac12's picture
smac12's picture
smac12 Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 8:22pm

Been riding a set of Hanalei XPD2 quads in my standard shorty for the last couple months. Havent been surfing quads all to much the past few years but been loving these in decent waves, super fast and responsive, noticeable difference for me compared to what were in the board previous.
In beachies and mushy waves they were fairly ho-hum par for course, but seem to really kick it up a notch once there is a bit of solid face to work with.

The new ranges they're releasing look very interesting as well, after my positive experiences with the XPD's I'll definitely be investing.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 8:50pm

They were just a loan pair John E.
Some surfs they felt like they were performing better than my usual fins, other times not so much.
I would love to be taking a pair to indo to use in good waves and maximum testing time.
They felt fast off the bottom and also making sections I didn’t think I was going to make was a bonus in nice clean waves. But then I had a couple of surfs in flat faced slopey waves and they weren’t anything special. That would of just been the shitfull waves though imo
I have a few pairs of fins so I didn’t rush out and buy any of these, but maybe down the track

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Monday, 4 Jun 2018 at 9:41pm

Amasing reviews smac and goofyfoot...split keels are something different thats for sure

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 14 Jul 2018 at 12:57pm

Anyone tried krypt fins ?
Made by Mark Thomson father of Dan Thomson.