Mid length surfboards

uncle's picture
uncle started the topic in Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 2:53pm

Just after getting a mid length surfboard shaped for surfing waves around Victor harbour region.
Something that's going to go well in small shitty beach breaks kinda stuff.

I've always liked Black Apache surfboards but can't seem to get hold of them at the moment.

Anybody know if they're still shaping boards or have other recommendations for a mid length board?
Cheers.

uncle's picture
uncle's picture
uncle Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 4:43pm

Other shapers I forgot to mention are MOTE, Thomas surfboards and some local guys Ding king and Mr Damage.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 5:18pm

Jesse at Black Apache has sold the business. Not sure who to, but it may explain why you can't get through.

uncle's picture
uncle's picture
uncle Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 5:49pm

Good one, thanks. Do you know if he's still shaping boards?

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 9:24am

What's a mid length these days? With short boards these days I feel like I'm riding a long board if I go out on a 6'6''.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 9:25am

@Uncle,

Nah, spoke to him a few weeks back and he's hung up the tools.

uncle's picture
uncle's picture
uncle Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 10:23am

Ha, that's a good point Batfink! I'm looking for something around the 7'2" - 7'6" mark, never had something this long before so thought it might be fun to change it up a bit.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 10:37am

There's heaps of guys in NNSW and SEQLD. Don't know much about the South Oz scene. South Coast surfboards in Vic look pretty good.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 10:40am

It's a great breath of fresh air to ride a longer board if you've been on a shortie forever. Suddenly those marginal summer days where you might have caught ten waves and not managed to get anything out of them can become hilariously fun sessions. I've seen a couple of Nettleton Surfboards around the size you're looking at, and they looked great. NPJ makes some good ones at that length too.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 10:40am

I ride my 7'6 x 21 1/2 x 3 quite a lot very flat rocker in the front 2/3 single concave to rolled vee...2+1 setup...very pinched rails...modelled off the Donald Takayama Howard Mini Specialld work out how to post photos I would hahahahah

el_gregory's picture
el_gregory's picture
el_gregory Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 4:40pm

just got a vquad from woosley surfboards early this week. have ridden it a few times in sloppy beachbreak junk and have had great fun in marginal conditions. apparently they handle size too. mine is 7'6" X 21 1/2" X 2 ¾"

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 7:22pm

Hmmm, midlength ... isn't that a mini mal?

Hahahaa ...

I've had one in my quiver since the late 90's. While everyone went narrow and rockered, thanks Kelly, I had a board made that used the tail off a short board and extended the outline curve until it felt, and looked, right ... the result was a board that got me into lot's of waves over the years, when otherwise I wouldn't have surfed, and was a great board for getting back into the surf after injury. Sheesh, the 'ole girl was godsend.

She, fittingly, got snapped a few years back. Surfing a fun shorey that I couldn't get into on a short board, I grabbed the old girl and had a super sessions, until, she didn't survive one chunky drainer. Fuck, I was bummed ...

BUT, that one board and the loss was actually the catalyst for me designing my own boards.

So, now, I'm surfing the 'ole girls cousin. A 7'2" board with vee through the tail. Surfed it this morning after struggling on a short board, and geez, I was kicking myself I didn't swap boards sooner

Here she is: http://imgur.com/a/CwsOG

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 10:42pm

I have been surfing a 7'5" x 18 1/2 G Style pin tail in just about everything lately. Amazingly loose when you get a bit of speed! Not my usual thing but needs as must.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 11:40pm

Recently took delivery of a 6'9'' pintail ordered custom from an underground shaper. Ok, it was a mate who works in the industry a bit and dabbles for friends, and has the best pintail shapes.

Got to ride it last weekend in some less than spectacular conditions, but that one is a keeper. Just going to have it as my board for fun sessions here and there, and for when some waves come through that are right on the edge of my comfort zone, which these days is around the 6' plus mark.

Will take it to Bali in about 3 weeks where it should get some size and will enjoy trying to get it on rail, long drawn out turns, which is what it was really made for. I still like the idea of having a longer board for bigger conditions, when it gets a bit serious, and my experience on a similar board is that it works for fun in some small conditions also.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 9:36am

Hi Bindboy excuse my ignorance but whats a g style pin tail ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 9:45am

I think Gary G. should field that question Simba.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 10:44am

simba G Style is a brand name. The shaper is Chris Goulding and I assume he is still producing boards in the Bawley Pt area.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:13am

That's a nice board wingnut. Should paddle into chop with that thing. I have no intention of going down the mal path. Something like that is a good compromise. I'll think about that in 10 years time.

uncle's picture
uncle's picture
uncle Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 7:40pm

Anybody ridden a Joel Fitz ML42 or Sea gypsy and the other is South coast surfboards in Torquay, the Slot machine?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 9:16pm

I reckon the slot machine might be a bit like the takayama howard special mini.
I actually saw a nice looking mid length up here the other day from SA.
Robin surfboards?

I've been riding an 8'10 gato heroi playboy and it goes great in both good and shitty beachies. His designated mid lengths look good too - spaceroach, spacepig and acid.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 10:24am

Not sure what board you're looking for, but if a singly, I highly recommend Jeremy Tonner from Narrabeen.

I've got a 7'4 single fin pictured below, and it's incredible. A great shape and planes/holds its line so clean and perfectly while also coming in at the tail allows you to really move it around. Big roundhouse cutties to foam bounces are no problem and also you can get it vert if you try hard enough.

Nearly every time I ride it I have people asking me what I'm on and who shaped it, it goes that well.

Also the most fun you can have on those mid-north coast points when just under that short-boardable size.

https://www.instagram.com/jeremyptonner/

Stimpie's picture
Stimpie's picture
Stimpie Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 12:57pm

Sorry to hear Jesse has sold BA and hung up the tools. I don't understand how someone so passionate and talented can give it away. He made me a fantastic 7'3" single fin about 4 years ago, virtually the same as Craig's board pictured above. Craig's comments on his single fin hold true for me to, just so much fun. Every time I get back on it after a stint on the shortboard I wonder why I don't use it more (although duckdiving solid waves is one good reason).

But be careful Uncle, as there's a lot of 'retro' midlengths out there that will be dogs of things, particularly the single fins. You want one that has modern rocker, rails & bottom shape, so you're doing the right thing asking the good people at swellnet for advice. To me, a good midlength is a very different beast to a big shortboard or a mini mal (god forbid) and a quick look online at some of the boards marketed as a midlength will uncover plenty of those. I reckon singles are the way to go in a midlength otherwise stick to a floaty shorty or get a mal.

You won't completely replace your shortboard, but get a good midlength and you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face. And taking the high line while speeeeeding gets a whole new meaning!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 1:09pm

uncle, sam smith stuff insta scroll down for some sweet mid lengths - Penong based.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 1:52pm

"but get a good midlength and you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face. And taking the high line while speeeeeding gets a whole new meaning!"

Can totally testify to that, my god they're so much fun!! Also fading bottom turns when taking off then pushing hard off the bottom to get that release is just an amazing feeling! Have to mix it up and keep it fresh.

These boards also help smooth out your surfing if you get the right one.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 4:45pm
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 6:07pm

So have you all taken up nose riding? Otherwise why all that nose area? It pushes water on the paddle in, straightens the line out of a bottom turn and generally seems less functional than moving the wide point back and narrowing probably not just the nose but the whole board. I mean anything over 20 has to slow response down significantly.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 6:12pm

Not at all BB, opposite I catch waves a lot of others can't with that volume up front. Once it starts planning as well I'm in. No pushing of water at all.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 6:36pm

Each to their own Craig, fir mymoney it's the volume under your chest that makes for better wave catching. But with those dimensions I can see how wave catching might not be an issue.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 8:57pm

Yeah I know what you're getting at and know boards that have too much up front, but with this board all the foam feels like it's under my chest, not ahead of me.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 9:39pm

I am still surfing the G Style which is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Still surfable but too narrow and too pointy. I'm not sure if I can get back onto the short boards I have been surfing the last few years. If not I need to work with a shaper to develop something more functional. Some sort of 7ft X 19 1/4 back foot monster. Most of the standard models in that length look too wide and with too much nose area for what I want.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Monday, 19 Sep 2016 at 11:39pm

Just had a couple of Van Straalens done, one was a 7-2 convertible single / thruster. Heritage veehickle , dubbed The JOE , very nice. Got some pics but dunno how to load em on here.

gopatter's picture
gopatter's picture
gopatter Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016 at 12:00am

Adding my two bobs worth - I've been riding a Campbell Brother speed egg down south - 7'5" 21 tad under 3. Nice pulled in pin with flyers medium rocker. I 've been riding short board Bonzers for a while now so know the set up well. Bonzers need to be ridden off the tail - so the speed egg struggles a bit in the sloppy wave zone but as soon as it gets steep - or barrelly its fantastic. So my take on a mid length for the Victor stretch is that you need a board that can be turned more from the centre to keep the speed and trim factor working on those s flat walls - a widder tail to loosen it up a bit and yes a single is great but those waves need a 2+1 fin configuration because you need that extra bite to continually cut back into the pocket.

uncle's picture
uncle's picture
uncle Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016 at 11:38am

Gopatter thanks for the info/advice, cheers.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 10:27am

Quick news flash :

Boards over 20in work
Boards with over 15in noses work
Boards over 3in thick work

Find a good shaper that can make all the volume work for you not against you....

Pretty sure this one is over 21 wide if its his usual dims

So is this

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 10:41am

Too wide to thick makes Browny look clumsy.

surfstarved's picture
surfstarved's picture
surfstarved Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 1:29pm

Funny you should start this topic now Uncle, cos I'm just in the process of finishing off a 7'6" specifically for that piece of coastline. I call it my Middleton Special (a subjective term, I'm sure you'll agree, cos Middleton is many things, but special?). I just have to do the pinlines and finish sanding and she'll be ready to launch.

I've tried everything from a 5'10" quad, up to the 8' piggy-longboard thing that this build started out life as at Middleton, but nothing really set my world on fire. It is Dribbleton, after all. But I'm hoping that this one will be the answer that I've been searching for. Plus, I have a feeling that it will also hold its own when the swell comes up and the reefs closer to Victor (you know which ones I'm talking about) start working.

More info and some pics can be found at https://seadragonsurfboards.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/update-on-the-phoen...

and here:
http://forum.sanded.com.au/showthread.php?395-Some-photos-from-my-latest...

gopatter's picture
gopatter's picture
gopatter Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 2:01pm

Looks pretty beautiful surfstarved - I'm not sure we'll ever find the right board for that part of the coast - I've been trying for 40 years. Great excuse though to try something different - extra short or extra long. As long as we are having fun probably doesn't matter what we surf....except if you try a mat - bloody hard work - not fun.

uncle's picture
uncle's picture
uncle Thursday, 22 Sep 2016 at 8:09pm

Looks unreal Surfstarved, post some more pictures when it's done.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Friday, 23 Sep 2016 at 11:55am

Wish I was that "Clumsy" on a board

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Sunday, 25 Sep 2016 at 9:51am

I've got a Southcoast egg from Ian Chisolm in Torquay. I've used it around the mid and Victor area a lot, especially during summer. Very solid, well made board. I bought it lightly used and it still looks almost new years later. I've had it out in everything from shin high slop to head high bowls (website says up to 2xHH) and its definately a good all round midlength. It's not super flat, has a little bit of rocker and healthy amount of tail rocker so steeper waves and tightish turns in the pocket aren't a problem but it's also 22 1/2 wide and 2 7/8 thick so it has plenty of volume and surface area to get you going in the small/flat stuff.
I too am on the endless journey to find the perfect Middleton board. The midlength is fun but riding shorties most of the time it can be frustrating paddling out on the egg only to find a few fun bowls thrown in the mix where you want to let loose a bit. I just got my hands on a longish NPJ Quartet with a bit of foam and I'm hoping it fits in that magical realm of paddle and glide like a midlength, turn like a short board. Time will tell.
6'10 x 22 1/2 x 2 7/8 Southcoast Egg

As you can see it's not super flat.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 25 Sep 2016 at 10:01am

Those fins on the quartet look big,hows she handle Markxx?

markxxx's picture
markxxx's picture
markxxx Sunday, 25 Sep 2016 at 11:11am

Hey Simba, not sure if you're talking about the board in the pic? That board is an NPJ Bean with optional Duo set up. The Duo set up is really fun in decent waves, doesn't have to be epic but enough push that you're not constantly trying to generate your own speed. NPJ said it perfectly when he described the ride as "snakey". It's drivey, pivots really tight in the pocket with incredible hold.
As far as the Quartet goes, I'm yet to ride it.

uncle's picture
uncle's picture
uncle Monday, 26 Sep 2016 at 12:33pm

Cheers Marxxx, the southcoast board looks nice. I spoke to Ian about them and he didn't recommended that shape for down south! Let us know how the NPjr goes.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 26 Sep 2016 at 1:11pm

My favourite type of craft, to be honest. Made my longboards collect dust. Often, when I am at the beach for work or recreation the conditions aren't the best and this type of board allows many waves, paddling into small waves, and with the right rocker/foam distribution/vee/concave/modern rails setup can complete full figure 8 cutbacks and with a bounce. When waves get bigger around this way, they are still quite facey, so at 4-5ft there are locations the midlength performs very well at Mach speed.
As I've shaped my adult life, I've refined what I like to ride them as: 7'4" x 21 1/2" x 3" with about 50L volume. Importantly, the peak of volume is back from midway (61.8% back) allowing both a heavy spiral vee, and a peak in thickness back where the rider stands. A greater curve is thus placed under your back foot, which helps with a tighter arc back foot turn. This thickness allows early standing too, so you can be doing the first reo when others with sinking tails are still trying to stand. Tail outline area helps too. Fins are a 2+1 setup, which I like from growing up on singles. As a back foot surfer, they jam the tail and carve nicely.
Allowing a more narrow nose version of this still with the WP back, permits an easier entry, and a full single to double concave through the bottom of the board (the doubles go through the spiral vee) makes it a down the line rocket in fast forehand waves when compared to the carvy flat to vee version. The next development of these is to make more gunny versions, with widepoints forward so as to take the design to 6' and above, as I find I swap to a single fin style 7'0 x 20 1/2 x 3 vee tail in bigger surf. For quality days on the beachies and the famous breaks round this way, modern equipment is the way to go. If I look at the % of time each board is ridden, in everyday year round conditions, the midlength is the winner. Any way to post a pic I wonder?

gopatter's picture
gopatter's picture
gopatter Monday, 26 Sep 2016 at 4:39pm

Sounds like a great board Velocity and low down on its design characteristics, would love to see it -below are the upload instructions if you can make sense of it! What I love about these mid lengths, as I'm finding out, is that they can handle size and stay fun - the right board west coast bound can be awesome - older locals don't ride bigger boards just because they are lazy - well some are.....
-----------------------
We highly recommend 'imgur' for image hosting (http://imgur.com/). You don't even need to register with them (although if you do, it'll help you find previously uploaded files).

Simply upload a photo via the 'Computer' link on the RH column, follow the instructions and then copy the URL provided under 'Direct Link (email & IM)'.

Then in a forum thread, wrap the image URL with image tags, ie [img] and [/img].

For example,

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 26 Sep 2016 at 6:34pm

Thanks gopatter, I will try to work out how to do this. I've never surfed the Mid Coast or Victor actually - might have to take the midlength boards there one day to see how they work. I know from experience they like Perth's reefs like at Cott, and the Mandurah reefs, & certain MidWest breaks... similarly the conditions on the Surf Coast.

As a metro coast grom in the West, I noticed middle age guys getting all the waves and absolutely carving on mini mals and boards like Len Dibben's 'Fun guns' back in the 1990s, the length and foam also shined at size, like at certain Island reefs north of Perth. Viewing from a potato chip, I put 2+2 together and went back to surfing my volumey single fin more. Of course, generally speaking, the boards you grow up with shape you and how you surf and will always fell more at home, easier to ride and more fun!

Some good information, some history to read while I work out how to post a pic:

Midget's shaping history is excellent, have a read between 'The Australian Vee Bottom' and the 'Side Slipper' in this link. It goes through his midlength pintails, with some beautiful pics too:
http://www.farrellysurfboards.com/about-farrelly-surfboards/midgets-shap...
Surf research has some good pics of this 1968ish era as well:
http://www.surfresearch.com.au/sMidget_Farrelly.html

He mentions Brewer, and Longboard Magazine Sep/Oct 1998 issue has a great article on Brewer's 'Pipeliners', I don't know if there is an online link. But basically Brewer wanted to develop a series of smaller versions of his accomplished big wave guns, and took the design to small waves too with boards like the 'Pipeliner East' - wide points taken back, pintails, lengths came down. These boards were an alternative to the Australian vee bottoms of the time and could be gunny or with area back. Did they become the 7 footer Rolf Aurness rode to victory at Bells in 1970 - Midget 2nd on Side Slipper, rest of field behind on ultra small boards a bit like the recent craze in sub 5'10" shortboards?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 26 Sep 2016 at 8:54pm

If i had my singly on the Mid Coast, oh gawd it'd go so well! Perfect waves for it.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 28 Sep 2016 at 11:36pm

right let's see if this works:

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 28 Sep 2016 at 11:38pm

hmm a link but no picture on the thread... Anyway, pic is there

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Sep 2016 at 8:29am

VJ I edited for you.

You had the wrong image link. When the upload to imgur is finished, right click the photo and grab the image address URL.

Halfscousehalfcockneyfullaussie's picture
Halfscousehalfcockneyfullaussie's picture
Halfscousehalfc... Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 1:18pm

Hey Craig, that 7'4 single fin you've got, does it trim cross the dead sections ok and can you put it on rail? There's a pretty gutless point break, that I like up my way that has a nice bowl section for cutties, however it has a few dead spots, so you're forever pumping to make the section on your short board or you ride a log, I can't do cutties on logs. Looking for a happy medium