caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Discussion about the
"Desert Storm" shaped by Wayne Webster
Ridden and designed by the "Camel"

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 1:17am

OK yeah possibly. that pic for your avatar is familiar wat is it ?

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 3:44am

I have to destroy a desert storm 7.0 before i can ever even try a 6.4..

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 3:48am

That pic is the best thing that i have ever seen..i can't believe that it has not made a swell net video

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 9:26am

Can u please tell more about the picture pmr ? It is very blurred but it seems to be familiar & I should know it .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 9:33am

No wonder I thought that pic was familiar cos have seen a similar one .

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 2:25pm

Sorry i ended up on a dance floor...about the picture you see hippo getting towed then camel paddles into the same wave . wish i had a better pic its the best! I cant even come close to writing about it...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 4:26pm

Thought u must be hippo . Why don't you use a pic of yourself ?

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 9:14pm

Im not hippo cam.im the penmister...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 2:48am

Well if u like animals- hippoes n camels surely u must be closely linked to the wild animals

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016 at 6:49pm

Penmister the penguin .

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016 at 8:46pm

Don't know how to get to wave of the day..but fucken go you old sea dog...

fartpaddler's picture
fartpaddler's picture
fartpaddler Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 11:33am
southey wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Hey crustt,
Yeah Mick makes amazing boards imo. I already have a smaller gun off him which is a beautiful board, like you say the y are works of art.
Good point about the stringer, I had never thought about that.
I decided to go with a Webster this time because two or three other mates have got boards a similar length off him and were really happy with them.
Micks boards do cost a little bit more but they are all hand made so you would expect the price to be a bit higher. In saying that, if some one was considering a Mick Pierce board I wouldn't let the price tag put you off. They truly are beautiful surfboards.

Not just beautiful highly functional . ( a little like Mick himself ) haha .
I've been riding his boards for near on 15 years , shorties , tube pigs , mini guns , guns .
The key is he was always on the higher more functional volume path , that is now becoming all the rage . Infact on occasion i had to plead with him to give me one or two thinner than he recommended .
Its all about the shapes and lines , surely lately many people are looking for " one off art pieces " off him , but they go just as good in the barrel as they would look on the wall .
Myself i've always gone the plain white path , with maybe tinted custom fins or a pin stripe .
Where ever i go i always get complimentary comments on their lines by other surfer shapers .
Mick is a barrel hound , still at his higher age , and hence if you want someone to shape you a board for such waves then yeah i can't recommend them more highly . I've only snapped two of the dozen or so boards i've got off him ( and each time it was my fault ) , i also still ride some of the older ones depending on the conditions ( much to his dismay as he is always on about how he's still improving the performance every season ) . Camel he has done the diamond cross weave laminations for me , and i'm pretty sure he would do you one with a light stringer , not so sure on the epoxy , but maybe MC would help him out or even glass your shape if you requested . He also does alot of single , fin box custom setups and has for as long as i can remember , might be time you two caught up and tried one ?! . He's almost finished his own Rhino chaser and would probably jump at the chance of having a solid paddle together , if ya nagged him .

goofyfoot for some reason I had the impression in my head that you were mick pierce!
hes a goofy im pretty sure...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 12:35pm

Thank you fpadler. Appreciate the info .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 12:46pm
penmister wrote:

Penmister the penguin .

I think u need a picture of a penguin then penguinmister

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 1:03pm
fartpaddler wrote:
southey wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Hey crustt,
Yeah Mick makes amazing boards imo. I already have a smaller gun off him which is a beautiful board, like you say the y are works of art.
Good point about the stringer, I had never thought about that.
I decided to go with a Webster this time because two or three other mates have got boards a similar length off him and were really happy with them.
Micks boards do cost a little bit more but they are all hand made so you would expect the price to be a bit higher. In saying that, if some one was considering a Mick Pierce board I wouldn't let the price tag put you off. They truly are beautiful surfboards.

Not just beautiful highly functional . ( a little like Mick himself ) haha .
I've been riding his boards for near on 15 years , shorties , tube pigs , mini guns , guns .
The key is he was always on the higher more functional volume path , that is now becoming all the rage . Infact on occasion i had to plead with him to give me one or two thinner than he recommended .
Its all about the shapes and lines , surely lately many people are looking for " one off art pieces " off him , but they go just as good in the barrel as they would look on the wall .
Myself i've always gone the plain white path , with maybe tinted custom fins or a pin stripe .
Where ever i go i always get complimentary comments on their lines by other surfer shapers .
Mick is a barrel hound , still at his higher age , and hence if you want someone to shape you a board for such waves then yeah i can't recommend them more highly . I've only snapped two of the dozen or so boards i've got off him ( and each time it was my fault ) , i also still ride some of the older ones depending on the conditions ( much to his dismay as he is always on about how he's still improving the performance every season ) . Camel he has done the diamond cross weave laminations for me , and i'm pretty sure he would do you one with a light stringer , not so sure on the epoxy , but maybe MC would help him out or even glass your shape if you requested . He also does alot of single , fin box custom setups and has for as long as i can remember , might be time you two caught up and tried one ?! . He's almost finished his own Rhino chaser and would probably jump at the chance of having a solid paddle together , if ya nagged him .

goofyfoot for some reason I had the impression in my head that you were mick pierce!
hes a goofy im pretty sure...

Yeah he's a goofyfooter, but nah I'm not him

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 5 Feb 2016 at 2:55pm

Caml, your new 8'0 Desert Storm looks unreal !

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 9:12pm

Had a surf at fourth beach on the ds 7.0... pushed under waves easy caught a few,then the leggie came off had to swim in.i don't know how it missed the rocks but it did...unlucky not grabbing a cheque at the Oakley night camel...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 3 Mar 2016 at 11:56pm

Hopefully the gun works good . Impressive beast of a board by the looks

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 12:27am
penmister wrote:

Had a surf at fourth beach on the ds 7.0... pushed under waves easy caught a few,then the leggie came off had to swim in.i don't know how it missed the rocks but it did...unlucky not grabbing a cheque at the Oakley night camel...

What sorta wave is this fourth beach that u ride on a DS design ?

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 1:11am

In esperance its sand than rocks first time ive been out there.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 1:18am

It was a left i couldn't believe no one was out it was pumping...

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 8:20pm

Did you get another one, goofy?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:23am

I saw goofys new 7"6 impressive shape !
but really, anyone who's using fcs with a desert storm does not have my approval and does so at there own loss . Goofy is not the only one !
Sorta like getting a racing car and driving around on the rims cos u cant afford tyres

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:21am

Haha ow shit I've been told!
Nah the only reason I use fcs is because all my other boards have them and I don't want to have to be spending shitloads on another set of fins.
Money's tight these days!
Yes lost d, I'm getting one

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Apr 2016 at 7:12pm

No worries gf , not just you , I saw mf & his mate getting them too . & the formula is beyond my jurisdiction & the performance will be compromised . This is a disclaimer ! Lol

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 24 Apr 2016 at 5:43pm

Greetings!
First post after some lurking. The DS really appeals to me, and as an initiation I'm thinking of ordering a 7'0 for decent days in the lower North Island (NZ), Indo, and for when the devil wind blows hard at my local.
Is it a reasonable assumption that it'd do well on solid overhead days with lots of chop? (my local is about 600-800m offshore and gets pretty bad devil winds).
Hoping to add an 8'0 or 8'6 at a later stage.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 24 Apr 2016 at 7:11pm

Is a 7"0 big enough to battle this choppyness ? How big a wave u mean ibay ?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 4:23am

Hey Caml.
I'm talking roughly 12ft faces, sometimes a little bigger. The thing is that waves can be quite unpredictable at this spot, so having a board that allows you to react quickly is a bonus.

Also, the 7'0 would be a great length for some other spots I have in mind.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 9:09am

Yeah ok well start with a7"0 but keep in mind that they are glassed heavy , you can alter your order to suit your needs . I prefer an 8"6 for very choppy waves to cruise with ease

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 2 Jun 2016 at 10:15am

Nick Carroll, have you seen or felt up Webbies desert storm model ...your thoughts ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 2 Jun 2016 at 11:43am

Udo are you thinking of getting one?

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 11:48am

I picked up this thread about 2 months ago, giving me lots of confidence to order a DS, 7’6, 20 ½ by 3 1/8. I live in the Illawarra and find I can get big beach breaks all to myself while the usual locations (reefs, points etc.) are chocka block, on the weekend I got to surf two popular SE facing beach breaks, way overhead, all by myself on the DS that arrived on Friday.

The DS was a revelation, caught lots of waves and covered ground like a clubby paddle board and so easy to surf. Fast and loose off the tail, lots of drive up the front. If I had been on my 6’6 I would have been lucky to get a wave, 55 litres of foam is just the trick (actually 6 weeks ago in a similar southerly swell I got washed about 1km up the coast at one of the same locations, no probs with strong currents on the DS).

Thanks for all the info on this thread. I have never posted before, but though Wayne Webster deserved another vote, he was great to deal with, helped me pick dimensions for the 1.5 to triple OH waves, that I wanted to use it for. I am sure it would surf well above this size, but we don’t get waves above that often.

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 11:54am

Oh yeah, 6x6 and 6x6 glass, five fin, twin plug, round safety nose surfed as a quad with Rasta fins. Camel you have helped design a beauty.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 1:38pm

Got some pics drodders ...and if it wasn't mates rates....what was custom price ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 1:33pm

Great news drodd cheers

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 3:59pm

Udu it was a bargain $780, lots of board for that money, perfect in every detail, obviously postage on top of that. Once I work out how I will add a couple of pics.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 4:21pm

Great value esp with the 6 oz glassing...I expected a figure of $950.

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 4:32pm

Yeah I was blown away by the price! I am sure they will all be different, length, glass, spray, polish, I gues you could option them up. I am also pretty sure when my fish/short board need replacing I will call Wayne again. Still can't post a picture will try again later on a different device? Are there any tricks to posting a photo, have tried a few different methods?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 4:54pm

That's starting price for a lot of shapers and that's at 4x4x4.
How much do you weigh drodders?

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 5:58pm

I just picked up a 8'8"x21 1/8"x3 3/"8 with 6x6 top and bottom for $950 so $780 for a 7'6" sounds right, cost $20 extra for the extra 6 on the bottom.:-)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 6:07pm
drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 7:29pm

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 8:03pm

Close there Drodders (I fixed for you) instead of posting this link https://imgur.com/a/wSSoC in the [img] tags, you right click that image and get this URL.. https://i.imgur.com/S1WCg8e.jpg

PS board looks really nice!!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 8:31pm

Fuck yeah Drodders nice one

Mine was 7'6 x 19.25 x 3.
i weigh about 75kgs
Im so stoked with it

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 8:34pm

Island Bay, did you end up getting one?

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Tuesday, 9 Aug 2016 at 9:21pm

Thanks Craig posting off an iPhone, will try to post a pic of the base.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 10 Aug 2016 at 7:23am

Desert Storm!
I texted Webby straight after getting out of the water on the Black Nor-easter swell to tell him I got the ride of my life on the DS.
Like you Drodders I find my 7'6" very easy to turn.

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Wednesday, 10 Aug 2016 at 9:47am

I'm 93 kg, fairly fit, don't really think weight vs volume is the point of these boards, my other boards are between 35-40 litres, get lots of waves but they can't get you around an expansive line up like a DS or something like it can. I also found on Sunday looking down the line thinking, I won't make it around this section, then only to find on the DS it wasn't an issue. Instead of being forced to the bottom immediately by a really late drop you can take a high line from take off, and be 20m in front of where you would have been, with speed to burn. I'm an average surfer with two little kids, when I am out I want to have the board that makes the most of any conditions, my only issue is I am already thinking about replacing my 6'6 with a 6'10 DS.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 10 Aug 2016 at 10:19am

Freeride have u downsized your extra large back fins yet & freed up the drag ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 10 Aug 2016 at 6:29pm

nah, to be honest I haven't really felt any need to......the back end of the board feels really smooth and well balanced to , although Glen Casey told me he found his hard to turn.
But if I did, what size rears should I look at?