DHD sweetspot 2.0

Oceanbeach's picture
Oceanbeach started the topic in Sunday, 3 May 2015 at 12:13pm

G'day,
I'm looking at getting a DHD sweet spot 2.0 for an upcoming trip to the telos but also to use at home in Vic.
Just wondering if anyone has tried the board and your thoughts on the board,
Cheers

fromfrom's picture
fromfrom's picture
fromfrom Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm

Hi mate, did you buy the sweet spot and does it go good down the coast?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 2:49pm

I've got a sweet spot 2.0 .

Love that thing.

Willow995's picture
Willow995's picture
Willow995 Tuesday, 19 Apr 2016 at 8:55am

I agree with Blowin, had mine for just under a year now and have used it in a bunch of conditions and breaks along the Surf Coast. Was really surprised with how well the thing went in. Seems really fast and a great paddler i also like how the glassing is not paper thin too which has allowed me to save some $$ on dings and repairs.

I would get another if need be, and would recommend it for Vic waves have no experience overseas with it .

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 2:09pm

i have had one for a couple of months but only had it out a handful of times ('gong to mid north nsw).
i have ridden it in 3 to 6 foot waves as a thruster only.
compared with my usual hpsb it does what a good step-up is supposed to.
it has more momentum and hold and the tail has nice turn transition and feel.
paddles well for its size and volume.
happy with the heavy construction as i plan to hold onto it for a few years.

it is the heavy construction off the rack that is the point of difference between this and other boards like it.
i would suggest you feel one up in a store (and similar boards) and ask yourself whether you want the heavier construction.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 10:54pm

Try go to the burleigh dhd..maybe you can get a promo board and keep it for a month..see if you can crease it....

PS Surf's picture
PS Surf's picture
PS Surf Friday, 20 May 2016 at 9:59pm

Hey Guys,

Which size & volume that you guys get? (Compared to your normal SB)

Smaller than your normal Step up or same size & volume?

Considering buying one as a Step Up for an Indo trip but I'm not sure which size.

Willow995's picture
Willow995's picture
Willow995 Sunday, 22 May 2016 at 6:21pm

Hey Ps.

Mine is slightly bigger then my normal short board it's more for down the coast when it's getting larger and clean. I ride the 6'2 stick dims 32.0 litres. I'm sure if your using it as a step up you could go a bit longer I guess it depends on the conditions you plan to use it in. For me it's fine up to the 6ft range anything bigger and you start to feel like a bit more foam might be handy. That's more then likely operators skill rather then board.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 22 May 2016 at 6:49pm

I've got a 6'0".

Lots of foam...but I like lots of foam.

Paddles like a demon.

Particularly enjoy riding it at a current addled offshore reef that is constantly throwing rogue sets at you.

Biggest I've ridden it in is 6-8'. It loved it.

That is my normal short board length , but I often ride longer boards.ie 6'3" or 6'4" .

I don't surf beachies very often though, so horses for courses I guess.

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Tuesday, 24 May 2016 at 10:22am

Hi PS, mine is about 0.5 litres more than regular shortboard.
You could probably go for more foam as the rails are pretty low and hold a steep face well.
it really depends on how much paddling you will be doing.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 23 Jun 2016 at 7:01am

Could any of you Sweet Spot 2.0 owners do me a massive favour and measure the nose and tail rocker, please? I'm very keen on one, but generally don't like lots of nose rocker, hence a bit wary.

One of my boards, and easily the most versatile, is a DHD Black Diamond, and I'm thinking/hoping that the SS 2.0 has the beautifully refined tail of the BD, married to an HP nose.

Also, any word on SS 2.0 performance in chop? Can't imagine that it'd be particularly affected, as no huge concaves not Maurice Cole like sharp rails to the nose, but it would be great to hear from test pilots.

Thanks in advance

Willow995's picture
Willow995's picture
Willow995 Wednesday, 3 Aug 2016 at 4:58pm

Sorry Island Bay i didn't see this earlier.

I don't have the sweet spot with me so can't measure the rocker for you, but from memory its not a huge amount. I have never felt surfing it that it was to much rocker and was surprised how well it got through flat sections, i think the wider outline helped
This video might show you from looking at it

As for surfing in chop, as good as most other boards of similar stye i would imagine. Handles it fine and the rails didn't seem to catch anymore then any other board would.

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Thursday, 4 Aug 2016 at 3:36pm

i am a punter when it comes to board shapes, but...
i would say the ss2 has a low-moderate entry rocker and moderate exit rocker by looking at it. i am not sure of the correct way to measure the tail rocker - is it as simple as laying the board on the ground and measuring the height of the stringer from the ground?
Riding it in hollow waves i have found it turns nicely in the pocket with good grip and drive during vertical (ish) turns on my backhand. this is to be expected from a rounded pin step-up though. none of that breaking-free and sliding that you get from a squash-tail hpsb when the waves are bigger. overall the tail rocker and outline seem to work well in bigger hollower waves - again as expected given design intentions.
As for chop - i have found it solid and stable in strong offshores. however, i am hard pressed to distinguish it from previous step-ups - they are all typically pretty good in that respect. there is certainly none of that bounce and loss of momentum you get from epoxy shortboards. the heavy glass job may help also.
hope that helps.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 5 Aug 2016 at 6:52pm

Is everyone riding their SS2 as a thruster? Seems like more suited to a thruster in my not very informed opinion. (At 6'2'' and above perhaps, maybe at 6'0'' the quad would be better.

I have a 6'3'' Simon Face Dancer, shape is very similar and volume too (around 33 litres). The Face Dancer is a great board, but I am finding it a bit too heavyish, perhaps a strong glass job on the one I have. I like it a lot and it is a pretty serious board, can seem to handle anything I can throw at it, but would love an easier paddler. Also have a Simon 5'11'' Spud Nick, same volume, and it is the best paddling board I've ever had, so the Face Dancer doesn't compare well against it.

Very interested in selling the Face Dancer for a new SS2, but may just end up with the same board. Not that I haven't done that before.

GRudi's picture
GRudi's picture
GRudi Friday, 4 May 2018 at 3:46am
Oceanbeach wrote:

G'day,
I'm looking at getting a DHD sweet spot 2.0 for an upcoming trip to the telos but also to use at home in Vic.
Just wondering if anyone has tried the board and your thoughts on the board,
Cheers

Oceanbeach,
Im 3 yrs to the day since your post, but headed to Indo and considering a Sweet Spot 2 for the trip. Curious if you took one on your trip? If so, how it goes? If not, mind telling me what you did go with? Cheers.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Friday, 4 May 2018 at 9:14am

I was actually looking at a SS2.0 as a step up for an sumatra trip this year. Unsure at present as it is a little flat in the rocker and I figured a bit more curve would be better in high quality waves. I was looking at the 6'4 at 34.5l. My normal board is the 6'0 and about 31-32l so a bit bigger.

Seems there's a lot of interest in this board judging by this thread