cracks on new surf board

tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn started the topic in Friday, 21 Nov 2014 at 5:12pm

Hello all I am the Mum of 2 boys who have just discovered surfing. The 16yr has just bought his 1st board a week ago and has surfed with it a few times (loving it!). He has just noticed some significant cracks near the midline. I was just about to post a photo but he has reapplied wax to it after being told by the surf shop that his knees are causing this damage. It is a Stewarts S-winger. As I don't know anything about surfing I was just wondering if this sounds reasonable.
thanks for your advice

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 21 Nov 2014 at 5:36pm

Most boards will often get pressure dings of some sort, however cracks can eventually let in water (depends on how you define 'crack' though). If they're only small then wax should provide an adequate, albeit temporary seal. 

It's not normally something I'd personally worry about, but if you can post some photos we'll be able to assess a little better.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 21 Nov 2014 at 7:50pm

Dear tanrobyn,

What is he doing with his knees?

Anyways, putting wax on it is a bit problematic. Makes it harder to fix if and when it needs to be properly prepared.

A better option is the really strong tape, the grey stuff that is usually quite wide, not sticky tape width, and super hard to even peel off the roll. I don't think it is electrician's tape, probably has some other trade name.

Best option is the really easy to use ding repair products that harden up in sunlight. Even a numpty like me can use it. Just buy a tube, usually around the $20 or $25 mark, (solarez?) and follow the instructions, and do it in the garage before taking out into the sunshine to harden.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Nov 2014 at 7:52pm

Great life choice by your young fellas Tanrobyn.

tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn Saturday, 22 Nov 2014 at 1:27am

Hi im the surfer.
my pop up is perfect yet as can be expected from a beginner. So sort of drag by back knee on the board but not hard. I m keen to still go surfing should i get it repaired properly and in short term can i still surf it.
thank you

tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn Saturday, 22 Nov 2014 at 1:33am

its the mum back again! Thank you for the replies, we'll take the wax off and post some photos tomorrow. i think my boy meant to say "my pop up is not perfect yet"!
and yes we're loving having the boys out in the beautiful outdoors! Even the dog's happy because he gets to go to the dog beach

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 22 Nov 2014 at 8:36am

Hey grommet .. don't stress about ya technique. You're spot on ... you're a beginner, so don't stress. And, jeez, plenty of older kooks like me damage their decks, usually by knees when duck diving waves.

Get some pic's up ASAP and we'll point you in the right direction. Don't go buying anything just yet because that "solarez" can be problematic if trying to "skin seal" a cracked area. It's great stuff for more significant dings and cracks where there is glass for the resin to bond onto ... Get the pic's up and can you tell us roughly where ya live. I'm sure someone on here can point you in the direction of a someone who can show you boys how to do your own ding repairs. A lifetime of surfing will prove that skill very valuable and some time spent learning now will save you buckets of money over the years.

And, onya mum, like blowin said, great lifestyle choice for you rugrats :)

tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn Sunday, 23 Nov 2014 at 3:02pm
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Nov 2014 at 4:52pm
tanrobyn wrote:

http://imgur.com/IMd9z30

Decent dings but they should be fine and not leak any water with the wax back over them, must just be from your boys knees because there learning.

tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn Monday, 24 Nov 2014 at 10:57am

thanks indo-dreaming
should i repair it for long run

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 24 Nov 2014 at 2:00pm

Hey Tanrobyn,

I'd do as Indo says and just put a bit of wax back over it. You could apply some acrylic sealer to it if you wanted, just a clear acrylic spray from bunnings, a couple of coats should seal it properly. Just make sure you clean the board properly first.
Over time the board will get millions of tiny stress fractures throughout the glass and it will eventually take on a bit of water and, although less than ideal, the board will still surf fine. My first surfboard lasted me something like 6 or 7 years.

urallfullacrap's picture
urallfullacrap's picture
urallfullacrap Monday, 24 Nov 2014 at 4:17pm

Hey Tanrobyn
The cracks are minor cover them with wax and forget they are there and boys enjoy your surfing

tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn's picture
tanrobyn Monday, 24 Nov 2014 at 5:27pm

ok thanks everyone much appreciated, cant wait to get surfing again

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 25 Nov 2014 at 10:06am

agree with all the above, if you repaired each little hairline crack like that you would never have time to go surfing!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 25 Nov 2014 at 10:29am

I was told by an old fella once (closet transvestite I believe) to use clear nail polish on the little hairline cracks. Is water tight, dries quickly and creates a clear seal. Has worked for me in the past plus I'm good to go on Friday nights;)

No seriously, couple of coats, leave in the sun for 5 mins and you're back out there. Cheap fix and if you keep a small bottle in your kit, it will last for years.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Tuesday, 25 Nov 2014 at 3:47pm

i like that idea zen,
gonna grab some
:)

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Friday, 5 Dec 2014 at 8:24am
zenagain wrote:

I was told by an old fella once (closet transvestite I believe) to use clear nail polish on the little hairline cracks. Is water tight, dries quickly and creates a clear seal. Has worked for me in the past plus I'm good to go on Friday nights;)

No seriously, couple of coats, leave in the sun for 5 mins and you're back out there. Cheap fix and if you keep a small bottle in your kit, it will last for years.

Nice tip, cheers

Darley Road's picture
Darley Road's picture
Darley Road Monday, 9 Feb 2015 at 5:19pm

Hi...lots of advice from concerned surfing blokes which is admirable and caring....and I suppose all had a look at the photos.

I'm out on a limb. I'm not comfortable with it all. What bothers me is this.. the crack-surrounded area is quite large (comparing stringer width to the cracked area) and it's only on one side of the board. Unless you have been practising on concrete or the damage was from some other impact (such as from the vertical section of board racks) I don't believe that should happen to a well constructed board.

It's not going to get better and it could get worse.

Let me put it this way...It's never happened on any board I've owned or seen even over years of use "back then" but then maybe we had better glass layup/heavier glass . I have a board decades old which I used 7 days/week for some years made with two light layers of glass. It has some knee depressions and a few ding fixes and none is anything like the style of damage I see on yours, yours are not shatters, they are in my view resin cracks seemingly from an inability of the coating to take the sort of pressure a board ought to take. Maybe surfers using todays' board see it....I haven't.

Maybe this board has glass so light that with the resin it's more or less like window pane glass. Maybe there's some bonding issues... I don't know...... but I don't think it's reasonable to expect such damage from a new board or really at any stage if there was no abuse by your handling and I can't see temporary repairs lasting. I've fixed many dings but I'm not a professional and experienced board maker, just to put myself in perspective.

I can imagine such cracks could happen under pressure were there some delamination of the glass from the foam, or a depression there from manufacture ... maybe someone with long experience in the board making could be absolute about it.

What I am doing here is taking the responsibility from where it possibly should not be placed...on your shoulders and head and heart and skills or lack of them and placing it where it probably should be...with the manufacturer and vendor.

I'm being a dissenter I realise.......my 'perspicacity ' says 'do nothing to it at all.....take it back as it stands and put it to the maker, without any suggestions about repairs as the older hands have suggested, at this stage ....because if you do he may jump at one or more of those things you have done and then you'll be at a disadvantage if he's grumpy. You may be intimidated for 'being a novice and f'ing about with it....so take your board and p-off'.......that's an' easy' way out of taking responsibility.

I have no idea what it cost of course In my view or why you bought that particular board essential The question is.." would a reasonable person would say it is fit for the purpose, for which it was intended and which a buyer should expect in longevity and security against water ingress"?

Don't readily get the idea this is acceptable on well made boards unless boards like yours are made 'on the limits' of strength/weakness . Maybe take it to some other board makers for their opinions /advice individually and get a clear picture and then act on their suggestions ...I suspect the maker or dealer will try to deflect you, but persevere....get a clear explanation of the cause and prognosis and know who gives it to you.

Perhaps what I am trying also to get across is this....don't start out in life as a victim to being bullied commercially ....it either becomes a life-long 'magnet' culture or it sours you up or both. Don't get the idea it's up to you to be fixing what might be something 'not fit for the purpose' in several ways. Learn where you stand from eclectic advice , give the maker/vendor the opportunity to make-good and then go from there.

If you end up stuck with it....as you have done here, research to find the 'best practice' fix.

Sometimes more knowledgeable surfers who have earned respect will go in to bat for you, or there's usually some (however actually useless) government body who act as helpers in 'consumers affairs'

Does your board actually have a warranty against defects in workmanship/manufacture ? If not the maker/vendor might 'do the right thing' anyway for his reputation ........he might be a top bloke anyway and offer a good deal straight away....The old adage 'if you are happy tell your friends...if unhappy tell me (the vendor)' still makes sense to some business people.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 10 Feb 2015 at 8:12am

DR..I agree with you a 100%...it looks to me that the filla coat has cracked,but what is hard to see is if the glass is broken next to the stringer .....which could be a a major issue if not fixed with glass,as there is pressure from the knee ....but a kids pressure VS one of us ol fossils....hmmm......

I think you should take the board back to who sold you the board.....and get professional help......mention you have been on the Swellnet forum sites and have the advice from them......but just in case there is a crack......that's a manufacturing fault!