FIN KNOWLEDGE

bishmann's picture
bishmann started the topic in Monday, 17 Nov 2014 at 5:03pm

Hi All ,
after a bit of your vast wisdom here , got myself a tiny 5'8 fish for small mushy waves , in 78 kgs and currently have fcs g'3 s in it but find them to lack drive and speed anyone have any suggestions on what would be more suitable fins for speed / drive in small waves , old school fcs plugs in the board tri fin .
help would be greatly appreciated .

bish

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 28 Jun 2015 at 6:26am

mc what did u say there ? s s sides ? im going to get the quads now i know theres quads in c drive . what a great review theyre getting .

nochaser's picture
nochaser's picture
nochaser Sunday, 28 Jun 2015 at 10:45am

All out of quads caml. Emailed them the other day.

"Sorry all out of quads. Hope to have some later in the year just keep an eye on the website or join us on Instagram."

Cheers
Troy

ethereal's picture
ethereal's picture
ethereal Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 8:54pm

http://thewoodbuddha.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/cast-resin-elliptical-fins....

They were pretty responsive with no lack of drive, keen to test in some more variety but not so sceptical.

Cut away on the base to remove board to fin base drag...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 8:57pm

Are those Horan fins on woodbuddha ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 9:04pm

And roy stuart approves . I guess cheyne horan too . Those foils could use a 18 sec period to put them to a test of drag

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 9:17pm

I don't think Horan would/will approve.

ethereal's picture
ethereal's picture
ethereal Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 9:24pm

They are Woodbuddha fins actually, to be accurate they are an elliptical spitfire design with NAC foil, open sourced...

Knock your socks off if you wish to copy or experiment, I doubt Cheyne or FCS/Futures will be shaking in their collective boots.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 3:03am

Rainbow fins have some amazing fins in their range . Worth checking out if your into F1 foils

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 3:35am

Speed wings might be the name . Anyone heard of them?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 4 Aug 2015 at 4:30pm

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Tuesday, 4 Aug 2015 at 8:42pm
udo wrote:

Wingnut, have you tried C - Drive fins , I know you play around with toe and cant angles and wondering with the c cutout in the CDrives you changed angles,toe /cluster position.

No mate. Not used C-Drive fins.

As an aside, I think I posted this on here somewhere once before:

http://finsciences.com/surfboard-fin-science/

Worth a read. Some science to fins - who'd a thought, hey?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Tuesday, 4 Aug 2015 at 8:47pm
mothart wrote:

Why glass-ins WN, why not? Do you think they are inferior?

2 out of the last 3 boards I've have for the point near where I live have had glass-ins, they have felt smooth & held in, & there is no second guessing if you change fins, the board is either going to go or not go, no fucking around trying to tweak stuff. It's the type of wave you don't want to second guess yourself or your equipment.

Mate, in short, yes, I do think glass in fins are inferior. Simple reason - the worlds best no longer surf them. If glass in fins were still top dog, the professional ranks who want an edge over the next surfer in the next heat, will be using them.

For the average joe, fins mean your $x spend on a board gives better value - more fin options, more performance range.

What glass in fins have you been riding? How do they compare to removable fins you've used ... a lot of the feeling you think is the glass in fixture could simply be in the fin template and profile, so nothing to do with the attachment to the board.

Having said all that ... each to their own. Good luck with your journey. Hope it works for you.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 22 Aug 2015 at 1:01pm

Story in -News Mail on Nev Evans / artist Anthony Taylor
A pic of a board with some bizarre looking fins , anyone know anything about these fins ?

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Saturday, 22 Aug 2015 at 7:45pm
wingnut2443 wrote:
mothart wrote:

Why glass-ins WN, why not? Do you think they are inferior?

2 out of the last 3 boards I've have for the point near where I live have had glass-ins, they have felt smooth & held in, & there is no second guessing if you change fins, the board is either going to go or not go, no fucking around trying to tweak stuff. It's the type of wave you don't want to second guess yourself or your equipment.

Mate, in short, yes, I do think glass in fins are inferior. Simple reason - the worlds best no longer surf them. If glass in fins were still top dog, the professional ranks who want an edge over the next surfer in the next heat, will be using them.

Their fin sponsors would love that I'm sure.

The most efficient fin connection is neither, actually... glass on fins have a fillet which is much bigger in radius than the optimum. Box fins have none which is also less than ideal.

Research has shown that the optimal fillet size is a 2 to 5mm radius.

This sort of thing can't be decided by sociological means, it's physics.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 22 Aug 2015 at 8:02pm

Roy what do you think of Powerbase fins ?

Ecofin have a kickstarter campaign aiming to recycle Bali's plastic waste and turn it into fins.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 22 Aug 2015 at 10:50pm

[quote=Roy Stuart

This sort of thing can't be decided by sociological means, it's physics.

Just like climate change. Crawl back in your hole Roy

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Sunday, 23 Aug 2015 at 6:47am
blindboy wrote:

Just like climate change. Crawl back in your hole Roy

Someone screwed you in a bit too tightly Mac.

Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart Sunday, 23 Aug 2015 at 7:00am
udo wrote:

Roy what do you think of Powerbase fins ?

Ecofin have a kickstarter campaign aiming to recycle Bali's plastic waste and turn it into fins.

There's not enough info on the site and the pictures are so small it's hard to tell what the Powerbase are about Udo.

Recycling sounds cool. A while ago Kevin Cunningham from Spirare surfboards raised a bunch of money on the basis that he was going to make surfboards and fins entirely from ocean rubbish. All he wound up doing was making a few glass and resin fins with bits of junk embalmed in the resin. Probably got a PhD for it since that's how it works in the States.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 23 Aug 2015 at 8:01am

Power base, plastic or ceramic materials will always be gimmicky until the material used to ake them has good flex properties .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 5:59am

Tom Curren and Mason Ho experimenting with fin extensions on a MR twinnie ?
MR instagram

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Thursday, 27 Aug 2015 at 11:15am

Anyone using knubster / stabilizer fins? Curious how'd they go with quads

My current fins are fcs Mayhem tri/quad, mainly using as quads day to day

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Thursday, 27 Aug 2015 at 12:30pm

used a stabaliser a five times in various quad set ups,
didnt like the feeling at all , seemed to create drag , but thats just a feeling that i cant quite specify

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Thursday, 27 Aug 2015 at 12:31pm

*about

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Thursday, 27 Aug 2015 at 6:26pm

Which type of stabilizer were you using?

niggly wrote:

used a stabaliser a five times in various quad set ups,
didnt like the feeling at all , seemed to create drag , but thats just a feeling that i cant quite specify

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Thursday, 27 Aug 2015 at 8:20pm

fcs nubster.
theres a bunch of crew on here whom use different stabalisers
roy builds a stabaliser that looks great - cant remember which thread its in
i got the nubster given too me, and just didn't click for me on the surfs i have taken it out in .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 27 Aug 2015 at 10:53pm

IF you aren't getting enough drive or ya spinning out then use one . Otherwise there's no need for it . I have fixed a few boards that needed the help of one becos my rear quads were too far forward . Or too far apart . Or a fcs finned board that my ab shapers fins were a bit too small . ( they were tow fins for widowmaker side fins ) I have recently used the futures middle finger 1 & mf2 . Roy stuarts are by far the best ones that I've seen

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 8:40am

Hows these fins I saw called s-wings from france ( koalition fin co ). Funny because I recently saw fins by rainbow fins called speed wings . Udo knows about it with MR & curren & ho . I like the idea of the tips on all these models .

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 9:09am

Looking for extra drive from quads that are bit small. I'll check out Roy's fins, cheers

caml wrote:

IF you aren't getting enough drive or ya spinning out then use one . Otherwise there's no need for it . I have fixed a few boards that needed the help of one becos my rear quads were too far forward . Or too far apart . Or a fcs finned board that my ab shapers fins were a bit too small . ( they were tow fins for widowmaker side fins ) I have recently used the futures middle finger 1 & mf2 . Roy stuarts are by far the best ones that I've seen

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Friday, 28 Aug 2015 at 9:10am

Ok, cheers niggly

niggly wrote:

fcs nubster.
theres a bunch of crew on here whom use different stabalisers
roy builds a stabaliser that looks great - cant remember which thread its in
i got the nubster given too me, and just didn't click for me on the surfs i have taken it out in .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 6:43pm

ATT:Troy Clutton C-Drive fins

updates re Quad C-drive sets

and Futures C-drive sets........when are they coming ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 6:56pm

Think he may have Futures in stock Udo. Troy?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 7:09pm

TXT reply from Troy..
lots of people wanting them I hope to have them by the end of the year BUT no guarantees.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 9:48pm

I have some c d in quad fcs that troy sent to me .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 6:07pm

Hrre you go udo specially for you .thanks Craig for help

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 6:08pm

Whats the story with those boxes ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 6:13pm

Fcs 2 ? Yeah that's how the board was I had no choice cos its a stock rack board . But the cdrives fit so thats what is going on

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 6:22pm

OK, noticed only 1 grub screw per side - not 2 on one side.
Some minor fine tuning and you can lose that gap at the back of the fins and have them sit flush with the bottom.

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 6:22pm

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 6:42pm

Yeah there's only one grub per side ( 2 total but one on each side ) is that normal ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Nov 2015 at 6:55pm

Yes it seems to be for FCS 2 boxes........just check your fins where the outer grub screw is.....where the grub screw has touched the fin it will leave a small mark........you should probably drill a small indentation there to make the fin more secure ? be a shame to lose a fin or two in quaddy set up.....Troy doesent seem to be able to supply them ?

Does anyone have a contact for a CNC machine in Aust...Troy needs to get these quad sets and futures compatible machined quicker and out to the marketplace .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 11:01am

Australian fin comp instagram, C-Drive copies ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 5:34pm

Udo maybe they make the cdrive ?
The fcs 2 boxes with the old fcs fins certainly don't work so good for the board pictured above .
How did they ever allow surfboards to take such a backwards step from glass in to this 20 yrs of crappy lightweight disposable suspension

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 3:43pm

Caml. I don't think they make them for Troy ? The template seems to be a slightly different shape....but very close to the C-drive patent
Maybe Stu knows who makes them for C-Drive .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 5:36pm

C drive insty has a few various shapes that most certainly are similar to them

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 10:46am

I wish C Drive would bring out their fins in single tab.... itching and been waiting ages to try them.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 12:15pm

Single tab fins.....as in Futures ?

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 2:49pm
udo wrote:

Single tab fins.....as in Futures ?

Yep ... futures. Hopefully they make some soon

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 2:57pm

Promised 6mths ago.......I don't understand its not that hard.
There was mention of investment $$$ needed ?

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 3:04pm

ahh well good things (hopefully like em after the build up) come to those who wait eh

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 21 Dec 2015 at 4:24pm

I've been trying to find a future nubster up here in surf shops for ages, drove around yesterday to no avail.

So this morning I shaped a fin using the centre VEA450 Vector11.
First ever time shaping a fin, but this thread gave me inspiration, a jig saw at hand, a Makita sanding machine and a few hours of hand sanding.

Not sure what it will be like but I wanted to try having a small central fin in my wide little quad, just to give some direction!
It might be to high IMO????? Thoughts.

The fin is called the "Future Nubby Well Drive".......!
First attempt fellas.,
So don't laugh, I don't really like the inside foil line but will give it a go haha.

Thanks for all your input and help;)