Good Goldcoast board shops

salt's picture
salt started the topic in Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 3:33pm

On the goldy for a few days. Been looking for a new board for a while. Thought I'd hang out till I was up here and have a look. Now I'm here I have no idea where anything is or where to go to talk boards. I may get one shaped and get sent home or buy one off the rack and take it back with me. On the sunny for a few days over the weekend so anything up there is cool. Talked to an old fella he reckons the boardroom, which is just up the road (I'm at burleigh). Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Cheers

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 3:35pm

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 3:54pm

Heaps of options out there, obviously the big names like DHD, JS etc but really they are all made by Ghosts anyway, half of whom probably have their own label selling boards $200 bucks cheaper. I've had a few over the years from Murray Bourton and you actually get one on one time with the man to do your order, Ibelieve he may have a mobile showroom these days ( http://www.bourtonshapes.com/ )

Mt Woodgee have their factory out at Currumbin and i think so do DMS who do Lost as well.

I get most of my boards from a smaller shaper but he's away at the moment.

What sort of board are you after, I may be able to narrow down some options.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 7:40pm

Cheers seaman, it might sound a bit cliche but I'm after a board that will fit a few purposes. Coming from SA, I surf everything from gutless onshore crap to sucky beach/reef breaks. I'm no gun surfer I know my limit and it's around 4 to 5 ft ( sa west coast call) max. Really taken by the hypto Krypto, but there must be more out there for less coin.

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 8:37pm

Check out these shapers Salt. They are all great shapers and all have SA origins.
Lee Stacey at Stacey Surfboards- Tweed Heads,
or Greg Webb at Shaping Co- Tweed Heads,
or Murray Burton- Bourton Shapes- Cooly?,
or Jeff Hardick- Cooly/Tweed?.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 8:55pm

Horlo ,Muzza Bourton originally from vicco I think ?

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 10:21pm

Yes it looks like you are correct Udo. But I'm sure Bourton spent some time in SA...Either way he is a Legend shaper and Salt would do well contacting for a custom board.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Wednesday, 1 Oct 2014 at 5:50am

Cheers horlo

Johno's picture
Johno's picture
Johno Wednesday, 1 Oct 2014 at 10:08am

check out JR surfboards in Mermaid. The slab maiden is a board that might fit your needs.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 1 Oct 2014 at 12:51pm

@ salt, if you are going up the Sunny Coast see Mark at MORE surfboards. Good to talk to and good price.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Wednesday, 1 Oct 2014 at 9:35pm

Cheers fitz, I reckon I will. Spent the arvo looking. Jeez the board shops up here are prolific so many options in comparison to back home. Anyone got any feed back on the pyzalien, or the Stuart boards? The pyzalien felt nice under the arm.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Wednesday, 1 Oct 2014 at 9:35pm

Cheers fitz, I reckon I will. Spent the arvo looking. Jeez the board shops up here are prolific so many options in comparison to back home. Anyone got any feed back on the pyzalien, or the Stuart boards? The pyzalien felt nice under the arm.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Wednesday, 1 Oct 2014 at 9:48pm

Last I heard Jeff Hardick was based in Fingal.
Re hypo & hayden shapes in general - shred sled a much better all rounder IMO.
DMS doing some great shapes, using different materials too, epoxy with that wavy wrap thingy he's got going on for flex/torque

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Wednesday, 1 Oct 2014 at 9:50pm

Skye Bourton worth checking out too - On Fire is his label. Quite a few SA crew been surfing his boards

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 30 Oct 2014 at 4:50pm

Muzz Bourton was working out of a factory next to Shapers at Currumbin ... have seen him more lately in his "mobile office" though ...

That aside, how'd ya go salt ... you get a board?

How'd you find the shops, stock and prices around the traps?

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 30 Oct 2014 at 8:56pm

Yeah I did wingnut, but back at home. Only had a day and a half of board shopping in between the family stuff so couldn't check out as much as I wanted but still good. Picked up heaps of boards. So much more choice, and I reckon the deals ie, tail pad, bag leggie etc etc are heaps better up there and they throw in more stuff. The prices were cheaper for some boards but round the same for others. It was gonna be too hard to buy one up there in the end as the car we hired was tiny, and with the kids in the back it was too difficult. Ended up getting a hypto Krypto, seems alright but haven't used it much as the third time I took it out got a three inch fin gash on the deck and yet to fix it. Second guessing myself now, thinking I probably should have got a couple of others I was smitten with. Mrs is not keen on letting me loose again soon!

Johno's picture
Johno's picture
Johno Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 10:24am

Hi Salt Did you get the PE or the Futureflex. What type of conditions did you buy it for?

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 10:28am

haha the Mrs always ruins the fun!

One guy that was missed above who is getting a good name for himself is Matt Hurworth, shapes out of South Tweed and i've been riding his boards for 6 years now, never failed me.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 10:35am

Good bloke and good surfer too Matt.

Sends boards over here to Japan and has one (that I know of) local ripper on them.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 11:39am
yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 12:22pm

yeah he's been great. Always happy to work out a new shape with you and figure out a way to get boards to you when you need them!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 5:47pm

Is Matt Hurworth still connected with Shaping co or on his own now ?

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 8:09pm

Got the future flex, talked to mate today he said "give a few months you'll get used to it" , it paddles like a dream , harder to duck dive though! Got it as a bit of an all rounder for down here, victor, Yorkes, west coast as. Will inform in a while after a few trips.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 9:01pm

Onya salt ...

Fins mate, play around with fin set ups ;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 31 Oct 2014 at 11:26pm

I met Matt a few years ago when he came over here and was doing a contest and some board sales. Had a surf with him at a local reef we showed him. He was still with Shaping Co. back then but checking the Shaping Co. website, looks like he's gone out on his own. I wish him all the best, he loves talking about his craft. I think he started in Cronulla the old fashioned way- sweeping up for another shaper. I've had the chance to pore over a few of his boards and they're really sweet. Chippa Wilson is/was on them and this young fella over here named Yuta rips them up too.

Matt if you read this and get back over here, hook up with the Aussie natural and Cali goofy and come for a surf.

Johno's picture
Johno's picture
Johno Saturday, 1 Nov 2014 at 12:16pm

Thanks for the feedback Salt. Im on the hunt for a new board on the coast here myself so valuable information.