Pyne & Abbott walk away from Gonski - Broken promise

floyd's picture
floyd started the topic in Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 9:44pm

So I hear Pyne and Abbott have today announced they are tearing up Gonski and will now attempt to re-negotiate a new education funding agreements with the states.

This is a direct broken promise, a lie and I now expect that the press, parliament and community to hold Abbott's government to the same standards they held Julia Gillard. Can't wait to hear what Ray Hadley and Alan Jones will have to say tomorrow.

Hessin bags anyone?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 9:50pm

Heard 4 state premiers (LNP & ALP ) on tv tonight saying they expect Pyne to honour the funding agreements .... I love it when conservatives fight each other over cash.

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Friday, 29 Nov 2013 at 10:44pm

Gotta laugh at the dedication you have to hating Abbott.
Pace yourself ,you've got at the very least, three years of moaning ahead of you

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 8:27am

Surely you must be beginning to realise that Abbott has sold you a bag of rotten fruit grocer?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 8:55am

That Christopher Pyne is a slimey, arrogant piece of dung though. Loves the sound of his own voice and just thinks he is above everyone.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 9:49am

^ agreed' We have entered an era where i once again have a feeling of depression and disgust at our leaders? as opposed to apathy and confusion. Not sure what the answers are but i cant understand how anyone can back this slimey fuck who is detached from people and their needs. You Might have different views if your loaded and didn't have to work hard for your cash and really dont care about other people' infact your probably gonna be stoked with the shitstorm these guys are gonna create.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 12:20pm

@grocer do you really think the Liberal Party will stick with Abbott for three years if he keeps this crap up? I've got one word for you, Turnbull.

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 2:32pm

Gonski, in its original form, was a thorough and thoughtful attempt to bring education to where it should be. After getting the conservative state governments on board, albeit with a 'lite' version, this clown of a PM and his cronies have smashed it down. The dysfunctionality of opposing views between federal and state conservatives is crazy. I'm with you Yorkes, at least Turnbull might make the next three, six or whatever years bearable. On a side note, it is pretty refreshing to hear the GG voice her opinion on same sex marriage and the republic debate. At least Abbott didn't accept her offer to resign. Can we give him that as a positive? It might be all he has.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 5:00pm

Former head of Education in NSW and Gonski co-author Dr Ken Boston has labelled Christpher Pyne a Minister on 'L' plates and says that by reverting back to the Howard era funding model Government school's would receive an additional six per cent funding, a little over $300m.
The non-government sector would receive an increase in funding of about $2.4 billion, which is a little over 30 per cent of their current funding.

That explains a lot doesn't it? It's only natural that the Libs will look after their base after all?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-30/gonski-author-labels-pyne-minis...

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 8:25pm

Thought I might bring up some facts about everyone's beloved Labor Party.
Currently Bill Shorten is under investigation by Victorian police for allegedly raping a 16 year old girl 20 odd years ago.
Julia Gillard is under police investigation for allegedly helping to defraud the AWU with her old boy friend .
Michael Williamson ,former president of the labor party and ex head of the HSU is being prosecuted for defrauding 5 million from the HSU ,which happens to represent the lowest paid workers in the country.
Eddy Obied ,former NSW Labour mp is accused of ripping off up to 100 million from the NSW tax payer.
And of course there's good old Craig Thomson who has about 250 accusations to answer for ,
And the list goes on.
Yes I know , Tony Abbott can't be trusted ,

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 8:22pm

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 8:25pm
grocer wrote:
grocer wrote:

Thought I might bring up some facts about everyone's beloved Labor Party.
Currently Bill Shorten is under investigation by Victorian police for allegedly raping a 16 year old girl 20 odd years ago.
Julia Gillard is under police investigation for allegedly helping to defraud the AWU with her old boy friend .
Michael Williamson ,former president of the labor party and ex head of the HSU is being prosecuted for allegedly defrauding 5 million from the HSU ,which happens to represent the lowest paid workers in the country.
Eddy Obied ,former NSW Labour mp is accused of ripping off up to 100 million from the NSW tax payer.
And of course there's good old Craig Thomson who has about 250 accusations to answer for ,
And the list goes on.
Yes I know , Tony Abbott can't be trusted ,

But what has any of that got to do with the behaviour of the current government and their attack on the education of ALL Australian kids? Put aside your political ties and really have a good look at what is an appalling and dishonest action.

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 8:36pm

Attack on the education of all Australian kids? How is the government implementing there Education policies instead of the oppositions education policies an "attack on the education of all Australian kids ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 9:06pm

grocer the point is as yet they don't have a policy except to rip up Gonski which was the first time in living memory that such an agreement had been reached across all political boundaries and after Abbott had clearly stated that he would maintain it if elected. So yes, it is an attack on the education of all Australian kids because it makes education, yet again, a political issue, which arseholes like Pyne are prepared to use for their own advantage. Oh, and I hate to get pedantic but since we are talking education "their" is the possessive form.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 9:47pm

It's really pathetic grocer how a debate on education funding turns into more smear on Labor. Your guys won the election, for fucks sake why can't they start acting like a government!
That allegation on Shorten stemmed from a Facebook post and was reported on the reputable website 'kangaroocourtofaustralia' so it must be true hey?

Here's another one the right wing loonies have been running with in the U.S against Obama.
http://www.thenation.com/article/170787/whats-behind-rights-obama-gay-co...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 1 Dec 2013 at 5:48am

As then opposition education spoken I never heard Pyne ask a question in the parliament about his portfolio. Leading up to the election there were mutterings about improving teacher quality and giving school principals and parents more say in the running of schools (classic conservative ideology). To the best of my knowledge that was it apart from plenty of political point scoring on a range of non-education topics. Then came the announcement by Abbott and Pyne that they were backing Gonski.

I understand Gonski was a 5 year collaborative process whereby all national and state education stakeholders were consulted on what problems existed and what was the best way to resolve them; and in the end the recommendations were universally agreed upon and the Commonwealth and many states agreed to adopt them.

And at the very very last minute in the shadow of an election Pyne and Abbott came on board.

Really, did anyone seriously think Pyne and Abbott would have gone anything different after the election?

I have a cousin who is a school teacher here in Victoria. At the last state election she voted LNP because the then Liberal (elect) Premier promised Victorians before the election that Victorian teachers would be the best paid in the country (I think they are currently the 2nd worse). Anyway, after the election ........ you know what's coming now don't you ...... the financial cupboard was bare (from "Labor economic waste and mismanagement" {{ where have we heard that line before}} ) and the state could no longer afford what was promised. What the state got then was a 2.5 year long industrial dispute with teachers (along with a 3 year industrial dispute that is still unresolved with para-medics).

When my teacher cousin asked how could this be I just laugh and say do you really expect a conservative government to change its spots.

Labor deserved to be done at the last federal election. Rudd the creap. Good governments are made by good oppositions (not the Abbott type but the policy alternative type) so my hope and prayers are that Shorten and his team takes it to Abbott and Co.

Its in no-ones interests for Australia to have another 10 year Howard like conservative policy-lite social engineering experiment.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Sunday, 1 Dec 2013 at 8:55am

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Sunday, 1 Dec 2013 at 9:00am

From what I've read labors education policy bears little resemblance to what Gonski proposed.
The director of Education Standards Institute Kevin Donnelly has a good article in the weekend Australian on the issue. He says Pyne was right to "argue that RUDDS education reforms were flawed and incapable of strengthening schools and raising standards"
He goes on to say that the additional funding was on the never never and that labors command and control model contradicts key recommendations of the Gonski report.
Bill Shorten took 1.3billion out of education before the election ,thus the title short change Shorten.
My guess is that the policy was a shambles and totally unworkable much like other Labor policies.
Education has always been a political issue ,the teachers Union make sure of that.
My previous post wasn't a smear Yorkessurfer it's the truth , labor is rotten to the core full of corrupt union stooges and industrial lawyers. It just amazes me that some people would prefer to have them running the country .

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 1 Dec 2013 at 9:24am

Nice one niggly. Pyneoccio's nose is growing longer by the day!
@grocer none of those allegations and accusations you have raised have been tested in a court of law yet, just more smear? Lets let the courts decide shall we?

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Sunday, 1 Dec 2013 at 9:36am

grocer' i think your missing the point. It's not a labour vs liberal issue.

"Education has always been a political issue , the teachers Union make sure of that"

Education should be a political issue' along with health and mental illness. If we as a 1st world country can't look after each other what the fuck are we actually achieving.

The private school' rich as fuck narrow minded bullshit is very hard to swallow.

This is about the kids mate and they are being shafted in all directions in the public system because of politics.

I would like to point out that attending school is not just about passing the tests. I work at a school where many of the kids are suffering from abuse at home' living with drug addiction as the norm in the family or are the sole providers and look after their siblings. many of the kids are lucky to eat once a day and all the teachers are working as hard as they can to provide a safe' caring and stimulating environment to learn in. most teachers will get to work at 7 am and leave work after 7 pm to go home and continue working. The issue is not about more pay for teachers etc its about giving the disadvantaged a chance to engage and excel in society. fuck a class room with a smart board and fans that work would be a start. As for Chris P's comments on class room sizes not affecting teaching and learning' I would love to see the slime bag survive a week of six periods a day with 30+ kids in a room that was built in the 1950's and engage every student at every moment in his lesson.
I agree labour were fucked and as above posts have stated if the libs are staying in for the long haul bring in Turnball' as pm.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 1 Dec 2013 at 10:46am

grocer the Education Standards Institute is a conservative Christian organisation with LNP associations. Objective analysis? Unbiased opinion? No, just what we have come to expect from this crowd of charlatans. Decide your position then look around for some evidence to support it. That's not policy, it's prejudice!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 2 Dec 2013 at 2:11pm

It's quite stunning how many political parties will often utilise their most polarising personalities to enforce unpopular agendas. Almost as if it's meant to detract from the issue at hand.

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Monday, 2 Dec 2013 at 6:47pm

Its been shown in numerous studies and from application that giving principals more autonomy in the running of schools as well as improved teaching standards and techniques improves student results significantly .This is one of the recommendations that Gonski proposed , yet because the Labour Party is run by the unions, which includes the teachers union , it was totally ignored. They want all the control from a central base in Canberra and that's what their policy states.The labor party actually put its unions interests ahead of the students .

I don't think its predudice blindboy , it's just another side of the argument, what's wrong with that? One sided hysterical screeching gets boring , this is a lot more enjoyable don't you think?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 2 Dec 2013 at 7:04pm

Now lets recap ......

Gonski = 5 years of consultation with all major education stakeholders. All agreed on the outcomes/recommendations and the Commonwealth and many States agreed to fund Gonski.

Pyne and Abbott didn't take up the invitation to participate in the Gonski process for reasons best known to them but one could guess it was conservative ideology (small government blah blah and a desire to return to priapic Howard years of over funding private schools at the expense of student need).

Pyne and Abbott were never onboard with Gonski;
Then they were in the shadow of the election (well at least publicly to us punters);
Then they weren't not because they had a policy that would deliver better student outcomes but because .... what was the reason anyway?
And now they are ....... WTF?

It would be laughable if it wasn't so important, to every Australian school aged child and their family.

So where are the shock jocks and the Murdoch press?

Ah the silence.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 2 Dec 2013 at 7:01pm

It used to be commies under the bed in the 50's and 60's but since then its the big bad unions ..... a C grade record that last made 2GB 's Top 40 in the 80's.

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Monday, 2 Dec 2013 at 7:34pm

Actually Grocer, if you'd bothered to research, you would have found that the NSW Teacher's Federation and the Australian Education Union, and the other states and territories organisations, are not affiliated with the Labor Party. As far as greater autonomy for principals, it's a double edged sword, especially if it is at the expense of a centralised authority and guaranteed tenure (for performing teachers). Anyway, today's events have shown the immense acrobatic skills of this reactive and barren government, but you wonder where the next somersault will come from and which direction it will go.
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/gonski-reversal...

grocer's picture
grocer's picture
grocer Monday, 2 Dec 2013 at 8:58pm

Priapic eh, Im impressed Floyd ,had to look that one up.
The teachers unions don't support labor then , next you'll be telling me the greens aren't affiliated with the global warming movement or The Age isn't a left wing propaganda rag for the greens and labor party. Two peas in a pod .

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Monday, 2 Dec 2013 at 9:59pm

Well, the fact is the 'teacher's unions' support the best outcomes for students and teachers. If the coalition could overcome years of elitism and following the old school tie and present an outstanding model for well funded and equal educational opportunities for all students, I'm sure the 'unions' and members would be all for it. Who knows, maybe Abbott and Pyne will do that now, but I wouldn't want to be sitting out of the surf waiting for it to happen.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Tuesday, 3 Dec 2013 at 7:07am

Gonski is a backski! Next backflip? The NBN? Over to you Malcolm?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Tuesday, 3 Dec 2013 at 8:31am

See Palmer's maiden speech? He may not be the rubber stamp Abbott was hoping for in the Senate?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 3 Dec 2013 at 9:30am

I'm neither here nor there on the Palmer party but I thought his maiden speech was excellent.

Maybe some utopian dream with most if not all politicians self-centred, pretentious, conceited, condescending arse-holes, but if he is true to his word, he may be the thorn in the side that both the major parties need and deserve.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Tuesday, 3 Dec 2013 at 3:50pm

owgoodaquads seems to have his / her head round this one.

peace