Trump's Moment of Truth

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Wednesday, 17 May 2017 at 8:10pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 11:29am

And now, apropos of nothing much at all, Trump's written message at Israel's Holocaust Memorial. But first, his predecessor Barrack Obama's message in 2008:

"I am grateful to Yad Vashem and all of those responsible for this remarkable institution. At a time of great peril and promise, war and strife, we are blessed to have such a powerful reminder of man's potential for great evil, but also our capacity to rise up from tragedy and remake our world. Let our children come here, and know this history, so that they can add their voices to proclaim 'never again'. And may we remember those who perished, not only as victims, but also as individuals who hoped and loved and dreamed like us, and who have become symbols of the human spirit."

And now Trump's:

"IT IS A GREAT HONOR TO BE HERE WITH ALL OF MY FRIENDS - SO AMAZING & WILL NEVER FORGET!"

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 11:38am

Selfie?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 12:13pm

Better than "Donald was here".

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 12:25pm

Here's a few of Melanias seflie's for you TT

Biggest different between the Trump's & the Obama's is that all the old rabbi's in the room had already seen these bad boys first but had nothing on Michelle Obama. Between Donald & Melania it's just a tacky affair all round!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 12:41pm

Enough! For the love of all that is holy!

When do we hit peak-Trump?

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 1:16pm

I'd like to think we've passed it already. The people that had lost all faith in the administration voted in Trump. And the rest lost faith when Trump got elected. So surely the impeachment is nigh.

I'm just waiting for the scandal to break where he grabs an intern right on the pussy.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 1:20pm

Melania Trumps reaction:

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 1:21pm

We've hit peak-Stabmag!

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 1:28pm

In any other election campaign those sort of pics would have completely derailed a republican candidate. Not Trump tho somehow!

And now we have a first lady of America who has also posed for sports illustrated swimwear edition.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 1:44pm

Opinion : You reckon Obama wrote that message at the holocaust memorial spontaneously in situ ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 1:47pm

Maybe, maybe not.

But I guess you're saying he thought about it in advance, right?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 3:10pm

Blowie, in situ? Huh? I guess you're meaning 'off the cuff'?

Hmmm, when you're a symbolic figure visiting a symbolic place and enacting a symbolic act, a symbolic gesture, like leaving a written message, a symbolic message, wouldn't it behoove you to have it all nutted out well beforehand, knowing the symbolic importance of everything? Actually, more importantly, respecting the symbolic importance involved in everything?

Yeah, nah, really??

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 7:53pm

Obama, off the cuff. Trump's was scripted but he forgot it. He is the type specimen of "too ignorant to know they're ignorant."

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 8:31pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 9:42am

Didn't see any conversation with Duterte.

Did see more undemocratic attempts to usurp a democratically elected president through a media / beurocratic coup d'état by those that didn't vote for him but assume that theirs is the only opinion that matters.

You were right about one thing Blindboy.

We are seeing the destruction of democracy.

Only you're seeing an inversion of the truth.

It's the will of the people that is under attack.

Maybe if you dismissed your personal opinion of Trump for long enough to think objectively then you'd recognise the facts of the matter.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 10:54am

Hmmm, interpellation...

(see the ENTIRE essay in my 'the world according to John Fiske' thread)

To briefly recap:

The term interpellation was an idea introduced by Louis Althusser (1918-1990) to explain the way in which ideas get into our heads and have an effect on our lives, so much so that cultural ideas have such a hold on us that we believe they are our own. Interpellation is a process, a process in which we encounter our culture’s values and internalize them.

Interpellation expresses the idea that an idea is not simply yours alone but rather an idea that has been presented to you for you to accept. Ideologies – our attitudes towards gender, class, and race – should be thought of more as social processes. Accepting or not accepting a culture’s given attitudes places one in a particular relationship with power.

For Althusser, interpellation works in a manner much like giving a person a name, or calling out to them in the street. That is, ideologies “address” people and offer them a particular identity which they are encouraged to accept. However, one is not forced to accept that role through violence. Because those roles are offered to us everywhere we look, or even assigned to us by culture, they are presented in such a way that we are encouraged to accept them. This works best when it is an invisible, but consensual process. It works best when we believe these values are our own, and reflect the most obvious, logical way to live.

Ideologies, therefore, play a crucial role first in constructing our identities and then giving us a particular place in society. To say that someone is fully interpellated is to say that he or she has been successfully brought into accepting a certain role, or that he or she has accepted values willingly.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 10:57am

Althusser argued that the process of interpellation works best when individuals give no thought to being interpellated in the first place.

To place people in their proper place in society, Althusser argued that assimilation happens in two ways, through repressive means, and through ideological means. One happens through force, the other through ideas. Althusser argued that there are different apparatuses (to use his word) of the State (or governing power) that ensure interpellation:

Repressive State Apparatuses – Those mechanisms of power that force us into our place. These mechanisms operate through threats of punishment or through the explicit demonstration of power. Repressive State Apparatuses (or RSA’s) include armies, police, prisons, or any outright threat of violence.

Ideological State Apparatuses – RSA’s are rare and infrequent; force is not the most effective means of maintaining power. Instead, Ideological State Apparatuses (or ISA’s) work by manufacturing consent among individuals. ISA’s operate through ideas and representations that we encounter throughout our lives, training us and conditioning in us certain attitudes and behaviors that we are led to believe are natural. ISA’s include large social institutions that train us in the thinking in a certain way and bring us into ideology: schools, families, churches, toys, art, movies, books, advertising, music, television, fashion, games, technology, etc. All of these sources of power provide us with certain attitudes, behaviors, ideas, perceptions, feelings, values, etc.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 11:28am

John Fiske looks at the role of the media as an ISA. He also investigates how consumers - us - process, and importantly can resist, what is presented to us.

Where we at now?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 12:06pm

anyway, the convo in question?

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 12:32pm

Wow that doc reads like a 12 year old student desperately trying to make up the 100 word count by repeating the same phrase in a slightly different way after each paragraph. It sounds dumb when he says it but its even harder to read it without reading each paragraph twice.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 12:46pm

Is that legit, Turkey ?

That's fucked up if it's true.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 6:38pm
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 6:59pm

So an apology Blowin'? Probably not. The smug and self-righteous are rarely capable.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 9:17pm

My apologies Blindboy.

I've got zero problems with apologising if I'm incorrect.

Sorry if I come across as smug and self righteous mate. That's clearly your turf and I can understand you feel possessive about it.

PS You reckon he's really into the idea of mass murdering political opponents , dissenters and the enemies of his supporters under the guise of drug prohibition and looking at incorporating it into the US legal system ?

Or do you reckon he might be currying favour by appealing to the tremendous ego of Duturte in order to re-establish US standing in the Philippines in order to utilise their convenient location as a strategic stronghold against China ?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-warship-sails-near-disputed-reef-in-south...

But then again , maybe Trump really IS that guy ie fruitcake.

Still the democratically elected president .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 9:17pm

Accepted.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Friday, 26 May 2017 at 9:59am

100% convinced that Trump is an egotistical fruitbat after seeing the video of him shoving past the PM of montenegro. Also looks like he blatantly ignored a handshake there too. After the success of his campaign it seems the chickens are home to roost and he really just doesn't have the maturity or poise to be the POTUS.

It's embarrassing to watch his dick measuring hand-shakes and vain efforts to get in the centre of every photo. His body language is also dreadful. A businessman, yes, but a statesman he is not. And a diplomat even less.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/donald-trump-shoves-nato-leader...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 May 2017 at 11:28am

I reckon it's gold.

He's like a caricature of a politician . Merely an exaggerated and obvious aggregation of the behavioural traits that 99percent of politicians possess though they are usually safely closeted away from the prying eyes of the public.

Maybe google the history of the guy he's brushing aside - it's the least that fucker deserves. Personally I would have shoved the bastard off the stage given half a chance.

The beauty is that Trump being POTUS , means that Dukonovic has to cop it sweet from someone he can't intimidate or stand over for once.

tangles 65's picture
tangles 65's picture
tangles 65 Friday, 26 May 2017 at 11:56am

Speaking of handshakes, remember this? Didn't work for Latham haha. .

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 2 Jun 2017 at 9:01am

The democrats got too rich

...or the poor are too uncultured or something

"When local officials and the courts pressed for construction of relatively small numbers of moderate income housing units in such upscale liberal bastions as San Francisco (Clinton 84.5 percent, Trump 9.2 percent) and neighboring Marin County, Calif. (Clinton 77.3 percent, Trump 15.5 percent), the groundswell of opposition was loud and clear."

Democrats are all about diversity and inclusion

....unless you're a black single mum lesbian who happens to be poor

" “The upper middle class has been having it pretty good. It is about time those of us in the favored fifth recognized our privileged position,” Reeves writes. As members of this class protect their status and economic gains for themselves and their children, Reeves contends, they have capitalized on a host of less visible forces — exclusionary zoning, the clustering of elites, legacy college admissions, disproportionate political influence — to build a protective wall, keeping those in the lower quintiles of the income distribution from breaking in."

It seems the left need to reassess their meaning this word 'privelage' they throw around at the drop of a hat.

And walls!! Trump and his unfair walls!!

The public see straight through their hypocritical bullshit....don't need a college degree for that

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/opinion/democratic-party-rich-thom...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 2 Jun 2017 at 9:08am

...and a college professor to boot!

Blarney's picture
Blarney's picture
Blarney Sunday, 11 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm

The invisible hand of the market and the iron fist of the state combine and complement each other to make the lower classes accept desocialized wage labor and the social instability it brings in its wake. After a long eclipse, the prison thus returns to the frontline of institutions entrusted with maintaining the social order.
“”
Loïc Wacquant[111]

Blarney's picture
Blarney's picture
Blarney Sunday, 11 Jun 2017 at 4:19pm

After watching the ossification of the union movement since the 80's, there is only one way to restore our democratic balance ie Government=Business=Unions(people). STOP what is happening to democracy in this so far 30 year cycle- POw WoP BanG $ STRIKE

Blarney's picture
Blarney's picture
Blarney Sunday, 11 Jun 2017 at 4:53pm

From Wikepedia- Inverted Totalitarianism

Inverted totalitarianism reverses things. It is all politics all of the time but a politics largely untempered by the political. Party squabbles are occasionally on public display, and there is a frantic and continuous politics among factions of the party, interest groups, competing corporate powers, and rival media concerns. And there is, of course, the culminating moment of national elections when the attention of the nation is required to make a choice of personalities rather than a choice between alternatives. What is absent is the political, the commitment to finding where the common good lies amidst the welter of well-financed, highly organized, single-minded interests rabidly seeking governmental favors and overwhelming the practices of representative government and public administration by a sea of cash.[12]

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 29 Jul 2017 at 1:53pm

Apologies for trawling this topic back up but I'm thinking it would be interesting to hear from some of those Trump supporters on their thoughts on how they think he is going these days?

Personally I'm thinking all my predictions on the orange shit-stain are being realised but I would love to hear how his supporters now justify his behaviour.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 29 Jul 2017 at 6:40pm

My original hope that the Republicans would show some moral courage have been disappointed. McCain and two others prevented the repeal of Obamacare but as yet there is no sign of wider opposition. It is also hard to imagine why the US public has been so passive in the face of such appalling behaviour. Apathy above all! Much the same here I suppose.