Trump

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 6:06pm
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 5:28pm

BB, a risk yes, of course, likewise for many of the other nations with nuclear arms. Also those aspiring to get nuclear arms. Probably more so from the latter since you would have to ask - why do they want nuclear arms.
With Trump, I don't think he has threaten any such action or made such threats. As opposed to Russia, Iran and now china with the South China Sea issue. Hence your point is purely conjecture at this point.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 6:00pm

Conjecture? Immediately after being sworn in he will be given a brief case which contains the codes necessary to launch a nuclear attack......and you, in an ignorance of world affairs even greater than Trump's, cannot bring yourself to see that this is hugely destabilising? That this represents an unprecedented risk? Let me spell it out. Every other nuclear armed nation knows with absolute certainty that a first strike at the US would result in oblivion. The balance of nuclear power is that simple. Yes they might take out some US cities but their nation would be turned into a nuclear wasteland by US retaliation. They have, therefore, nothing to gain from a first strike. The same logic does not apply to the US. If they strike first non-nuclear nations could not respond at all and most nuclear armed nations would not be able to amount a serious response. In fact, given that the US could take out most of their nuclear capacity with their first strike, they might not be able to respond at all. You should pull your head out of the sand tb, the lack of oxygen down there is reducing your cognitive abilities.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 6:23pm

wouldn't any nuke attack, even without reataliation, plunge the whole world into utter chaos and see markets collapse?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 7:48pm

BB..... You forgot about the nuclear armed submarines.... I'd say Russia and China at least would have a contingency plan if attacked with nukes...... They could turn the USA into a wasteland.

https://zbigniewmazurak.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/how-many-submarines-do-...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 9:07pm

Sheepy not even Trump is crazy enough to launch an attack China or Russia. Sadly there is much less certainty about his response to provocation from say North Korea or Iran. The reality is that the chances of these events remain small but have risen with his election. If you look at the sequence of events around the Cuban missile crisis in the sixties it is clear that the only things that saved the world from a significant nuclear exchange were the cool heads of the leaders Kruschev and Kennedy, both of whom had serious first hand experience of both war and politics. Trump not only lacks those experiences but has demonstrated impulsive irresponsible behaviour and an inability to keep his comments within diplomatic bounds.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 9:28pm

in this day and age if a country is attacked with nukes its game over. a dozen warheads directed strategically at china, russia, or the US would disable that countries defences completely.

god help us if it ever happens.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 21 Nov 2016 at 11:48pm

Why continue to make nuclear weapons if they're never going to be used? Keeping up with the Jones's? Someone will do it one day in the future IMO. We're talking about human beings here, not robots....

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 6:44am

Fuck are you people for real. It is even less of a threat that there would be a nuclear war with Trump.
Vladimir Putin and people close to him have made no secret that they woiuld prefer dealing with Trump than that war mongering Clinton.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 6:57am

@Floyd, how does Trump's authorised biographer describe his subject like that without quickly becoming unauthorised to be Trumps biographer? Keen to read up. What's his name?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 8:09am

@yocal, I would take it that the book has been already written and trying to find the link (unsuccessfully) for the TV interview for you I see there has been several biographers over the year, the most recent is this guy ...... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-27/getting-to-know-donald-trump/7970976

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 8:22am

Check out this Richard B Spencer from Australia's Alt-Right has been caught out speaking German, citing Nazi propaganda and his audience calling out "hell victory" in regard to Trump.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/heil-victory-altright-salutes-presidentel...

Where are the Blues Brothers when you need them ........ Fucking Nazi Party

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Tuesday, 22 Nov 2016 at 10:22am

No BB, I've got my head in a bunker and not sand. Puns aside, there is a less of risk with Russia and China.
Iran is a dark horse but let's be real here, the Israeli s will hit them. so you think the US would or could (with Trump) do a first strike. Doubt it, very much doubt it.
No fear here, back to the sand between my toes.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 1:59pm

I know you guys don't like anything a say but this link to a speech by Vladmir Putin and is very interesting and might put a few things in prospective regarding Iran and among other things.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 2:43pm

Nick Nick Nick, I ask you, are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 3:28pm

12 pages.

I was curious and had a look at the Politics forum in the Surfer Mag forum, few Trump related threads but nothing over 6 pages.

And they are a USA site, go figure.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 3:32pm

I like to hear both sides of the story. You can draw your own opinion.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 4:08pm

Interesting link with Putin's speech. I take that back about Iran's threat. I must admit there is a great story on Siemans (German company) finding of the Stuxnet virus in Iran. Should have realised that the west has a good handle on Iran's nuclear systems.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 4:10pm

The what virus?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 6:35pm

The 'your new nickname' virus, Stuxnet!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 at 6:48pm

Stuxnet - probably the best spy / virus story in the last 20 years. Google it.
Make sure you read how the Germans resolved it.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 9:58am

Talkingturkey just because I post a link to Vladimir Putin doesn't make me a communist I was just giving a different prospective on some of the thing happening around the world. Like I said take what you want out of it. I am not saying it is right or wrong.
The more I think about it what is happening around the world I believe it is all about the proposition of a One World Government. I look at the emergence of the European Union, the ousting of Sadden Hussain of the pretext of weapons of mass destruction, the ousting of Colonel Gaddafi on the basis of helping terrorism and supressing his people both to be replaced by a so called democratic government which in my eyes are just puppets for the USA and United Nation. This might upset a lot of you but to me the threat of Global Warming is just away of putting in place huge Global Tax which flows back to the United Nations ( IMF ) and World bank. The election of United Nation Secretary General Antonio Guterres who is a big believer of a world let by UN Parliament.
This and other things is all part of a push to control the masses by as a whole.
So people like Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump, China, Iran or anyone who goes against the grain is absolutely vilified to the point that were most people believe the world is at danger or world will be a better place without certain people that hopefully will give the UN the right to medal in world affairs.
We are all being manipulated to believe United Nation have our interest at heart.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 12:00pm

Nick Nick Nick, check out 'Agenda 21'. Maybe type in 'Beck' with it. Knock yourself out. Literally.

nick3's picture
nick3's picture
nick3 Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 8:33pm

First I have heard about that Agenda 21.
Just read it thought to myself that is one big con to make us freely except being ruled by a dictatorship and believe it is for the benefit of humanity.
The goals they wish to see happen cannot be achieved. Whilst humans have different cultures, idea's on religion, ethics and basically different beliefs on how you should live and what you should achieve. There will never be peace or equality.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 4:25pm

If you believe Agenda 21 has a good chance to succeed then you only have to look at the European Union how difficult that would be. And that is with so called 'developed' nations. In the next few months, Italy may leave and then there are the others, such as Turkey.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 7:34pm

Okay close the thread the man has spoken, The Dalai Lama has no worries with Trump as president it's all good.

https://apnews.com/fa5ec9e6e3c34d869d165be0a8602942/Dalai-Lama:-%22I-hav...'-about-Trump's-election

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 7:35pm

WTF?...I could post a link and i didn't even have to jump any hurdles? Just one click.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 24 Nov 2016 at 7:47pm

Draining the swamp??

"President-elect Donald Trump has reportedly chosen Betsy DeVos to be his first secretary of education—and, according to Bloomberg's Jennifer Jacobs, the Michigan Republican has accepted the job.

Former Mother Jones reporter Andy Kroll profiled the DeVos family and its "plan to defund the left" in these pages back in 2014:

The Devoses sit alongside the Kochs, the Bradleys, and the Coorses as founding families of the modern conservative movement. Since 1970, DeVos family members have invested at least $200 million in a host of right-wing causes—think tanks, media outlets, political committees, evangelical outfits, and a string of advocacy groups. They have helped fund nearly every prominent Republican running for national office and underwritten a laundry list of conservative campaigns on issues ranging from charter schools and vouchers to anti-gay-marriage and anti-tax ballot measures. "There's not a Republican president or presidential candidate in the last 50 years who hasn't known the DeVoses," says Saul Anuzis, a former chairman of the Michigan Republican Party.

Betsy is a member of the conservative clan through her marriage to Dick DeVos.

Betsy, who is 56, is the political junkie in the relationship. She got her start in politics as a "scatter-blitzer" for Gerald Ford's 1976 presidential campaign, which bused eager young volunteers to various cities so they could blanket them with campaign flyers. In the '80s and '90s, Betsy climbed the party ranks to become a Republican National Committeewoman, chair numerous US House and Senate campaigns in Michigan, lead statewide party fundraising, and serve two terms as chair of the Michigan Republican Party. In 2003, she returned at the request of the Bush White House to dig the party out of $1.2 million in debt."

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 26 Nov 2016 at 7:35am

From the Washington Post.

"The billionaire real estate developer also dismissed any need to disentangle himself from his financial holdings, despite rising questions about how his global business dealings might affect his decision-making as the nation’s chief executive.

[Trump’s new interview with the New York Times isn’t reassuring. It’s deeply alarming.]

And it’s not just that; at the same time, the Trump administration and congressional Republicans are getting ready to move on their highest priorities, cutting taxes for the wealthy, scrapping oversight on Wall Street, and lightening regulations on big corporations.

Imagine you’re one of those folks who went to Trump rallies and thrilled to his promises to take America back from the establishment, who felt your heart stir as he promised to torture prisoners, who got your “Trump That Bitch” T-shirt, who was overjoyed to finally have a candidate who tells it like it is. What are you thinking as you watch this?

If you have any sense, you’re coming to the realization that it was all a scam. You got played. While you were chanting “Lock her up!” he was laughing at you for being so gullible. While you were dreaming about how you’d have an advocate in the Oval Office, he was dreaming about how he could use it to make himself richer. He hasn’t even taken office yet and everything he told you is already being revealed as a lie."

Wow, a serial conman and shyster running true to form, who woulda thunk it.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 26 Nov 2016 at 9:01am

People don't like being wrong so will convince themselves it is not him fucking them over.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 26 Nov 2016 at 7:25pm

Free ride - So you'd basically feel the same as any voter that's been on the winning side of an election in the last 20 years ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 26 Nov 2016 at 8:34pm

Trump is really setting a new bar here as far as breaking promises goes, before he's even been sworn in he's pretty much backflipped on his entire campaign.

Thats mendacity and outright con of a whole new dimension.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 7:39am

Trump really standing up to Wall Street and corporations.........stacking his cabinet with the ultra rich and caving in like the mendacious mega-hypocritical conman he's spend his whole life perfecting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/01/bernie-sande...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 8:20am

Yeah, wonder how many of his dimwitted supporters still think he is going to stick it up "the establishment".

David H Koch's picture
David H Koch's picture
David H Koch Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 9:00am

Shout outs to the people who still read, believe, cite Washington Post

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 9:39am

True. Facebook and infowars are so much more reliable.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 9:41am

When the penny drops that the people have signed up for an arse raping of biblical proportions.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 11:13am

ohhh arse raping......How about , Australia's LNG , is being sold overseas ,and Australia get nothing , no royalties , no tax , more than a billion $'s a year.
We get the unions/ building industry getting a new watchdog , but the multi nationals still pay minimal tax , ripping us all off for billions.
We are now looking at why democracy cannot and does not work, Trump just is exposing it all , he's a genius!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 11:42am

Remember all those mining tax ads on TV paid for by the miners and the minerals council of australia talking about loss of australian jobs? well, we didn't get the tax but we sure lost the jobs!!!

Lost jobs and lost tax but you have conservative politicians defending the indefensible status quo.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 11:57am

Sharkman, it's true about the LNG. What a rort in Australia.

Australian natural gas is a lot cheaper here in Japan than it is in Australia even after transporting it all that way.

I swear, I don't know how they get away with it.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 2:33pm

Working at Origin, it seemed that they had fixed contracts with Asian countries to hold then there was a moratorium of gas exploration in Aus. Thus creating a shortage of supply for Aus. Certainly does look like a rort but maybe not. Also, the pipeline infrastructure for Aus is a lot more extensive and expensive. A lot of Nsw gas comes from Moomba in SA /Qld border.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 4:05pm

Yeah and in other countries before the GOVERNMENT allows gas projects to proceed they ensure there are written guarantees in the contracts providing for domestic customers and at rate below the vagaries of international prices. Even good ole Uncle Sam does this .... but here in AU we don't do that coz its mining and we let them do what they like.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 4:22pm

We have just had a huge mining boom , who actually profited? Who made the money , and where did all the profits go , as with the LNG , Australia is being ripped of by the miners and the Global Brands that abuse our tax system , so Google/Apple etc coupled with the no royalty LNG scam , what does this tell us about our Government and opposition?
We seem more consumed with peanuts from back packers and setting up building watchdogs , as politicians and the traditional party system of Labor/LNP have sold thie constituents down the river , while billions of dollars gets ripped of by THEM!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 4:35pm

A few mates profited from the mining boom.

Cars, houses, loooong holidays, villas in indo....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 7:54pm

I can say with absolute conviction , that even though I did profit from the mining boom, WA would have been a much better place if it had never occurred.

The energy majors dont just rape the place. They permanently changed the face and culture of the joint.

And the tax payer sees zero return , in fact it costs the taxpayer immensely through infrastructure construction costs for infrastructure that is constructed for the benefit of these corporations.

PS - What are the chances that it was a coincidence that when the major foreign players moved in ,the government ( both sides ), commenced their journey towards flooding the labour market USA style with immigration - both legal and illegal ?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 3 Dec 2016 at 9:41pm

and all that's before an discussion on what the mining boom did to exchange rates that adversely impacted on all other aspects of the economy particularly manufacturing and tourism.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 4 Dec 2016 at 12:43am

Not to mention the corporate culture that these scum brought with them from the states ( USA).

You've never experienced the true extent of Americanisation till you've existed within any proximity of these grasping fascists .

Control , subordination, utter subjugation and whichever other adjective works- they are stand over men as much as any criminal gangster.

Class segregation. Exclusivity of the rulers hand. Divide and conquer.

These cunts have been operating for longer than the federation of Australia.

They've seen the naïveté and the fluttering eyelids of our politicians in a dozen cycles of their own senate even before our grandparents were born. And the same in two dozen countries since.

We never stood a chance.

At least they didn't bomb us.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 4 Dec 2016 at 4:52pm

Maybe... just maybe ...trump is in this for the right reasons

His biggest critics are conceding his wisdom this week

Or sucking up ...because they've noticed their mounting irrelevance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/02/donald-trump-d...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/opinion/the-general-who-should-lead-th...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 4 Dec 2016 at 5:31pm

And gotta agree, net gain mining boom = break even at best

Though I did hear stan grant the other day say it enabled a significant number of aboriginals into the middle class, aside from that, and a heap of jetskis for the culturally challenged, it's hard to see many enduring positives

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 4 Dec 2016 at 6:06pm

If the newly minted middle class aboriginals bought jet skis with their money would we hang shit on them for being culturally challenged ?

Is sitting around a cafe drinking coffees and discussing sea changer real estate options more cultured than doing bog laps of the local waterway on your Yamaha ?

The bogans should be grateful now that they've been granted a reprieve from being the acceptable slagging target du jour for the "sophisticates".

Now it's all about the Angry White Man.

Bit of overlap in the subgroups though.

And if it was a venn diagram I'd probably be somewhere in the double up I'd say.

A quaint little insight into Australia's recent cultural past - a time before the aspirational rot set in : https://m.

consider the make up of the society in the background in that video to that which you'd see in Melbourne these days and ask yourself : despite her unfortunate choice of words , were Pauline Hanson's predictions from the mid nineties accurate ?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 4 Dec 2016 at 7:49pm

Good article on how the trump suckers are about to lose their health cover

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-white-working-class-has-been-seduce...