Bully Culture

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 27 Jan 2016 at 10:54pm

To rally against the powerful preying upon the weak is deserving of the approbation of the nation.

So what of the self appointed professional moral police and the faceless multitudes of social media that prey upon the social ineptitudes , minor indiscretions , drunken improprieties or any other generally non life threatening acts of temporary stupidity that befall many , yet due to social media, can result in what amounts to a public flogging for the modern age ?

Is this not bullying ?

To have every act broadcast , lambasted, opined over and defamatory judgements passed by all manner of unrelated parties .

How is it any different to degrade and shame someone for a moments indiscretion during a private moment by talking heads on a nationalised broadcast morning breakfast current affairs program than to call someone a slut in a school yard or on Facebook ?

No less orchestrated either.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 27 Jan 2016 at 11:00pm

We've got to eradicate bullying from our schools.....cause the competition is eating into our ratings for the soul eating hyenas on the Today show.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Wednesday, 27 Jan 2016 at 11:09pm

hyenas have no interest in souls.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 8:29am

Life in prison.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 8:58am

Blowin wrote:

To rally against the powerful preying upon the weak is deserving of the approbation of the nation. So what of the self appointed professional moral police and the faceless multitudes of social media that prey upon the social ineptitudes , minor indiscretions , drunken improprieties or any other generally non life threatening acts of temporary stupidity that befall many , yet due to social media, can result in what amounts to a public flogging for the modern age ? Is this not bullying ? To have every act broadcast , lambasted, opined over and defamatory judgements passed by all manner of unrelated parties . How is it any different to degrade and shame someone for a moments indiscretion during a private moment by talking heads on a nationalised broadcast morning breakfast current affairs program than to call someone a slut in a school yard or on Facebook ? No less orchestrated either.

You talking about bulldog buggery, Blowin?

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 9:03am

Maltese molestation wasn't it?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 9:04am

I'm talking about what ever public rage is being enacted on the day.

Bulldogs need love too though .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 9:40am

Dunno. Scandals have been around for as long as humans have enjoyed gossip, so the spectacle must serve some kind of primordial purpose. Social cohesion? The 'sound and fury' that Willy S speaks of, perhaps?

Me, I find it hard to get worked up about such things either way. Feels like more opium for the masses (to totally fuck up another famous quote).

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 10:11am

TISM spoke of the obsession with celebrity deaths in 1995 and that continues to this day. They did a pretty good job with the Jacko prediction too. Nothing's changed, we just have a continuous medium for social commentary and the instruments to capture these indiscretions.

"Now I'm bored and there's no stopping;
I need another celeb to fill a coffin;
Where'll I get my next drug action?
Odds on it'll be Michael Jackson"

There are a lot of vultures out there.
That said, footy culture is pretty fucked up.