AFL racism

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Saturday, 25 May 2013 at 5:11pm

a player gets called an ape.....by a 13 yr old girl, youre fucking joking, an ape -what the fuck is this sook player going on about.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 10:26am
happyasS wrote:

Floyd. About the foreigners, that's my.point your making. Immigration is a business transaction ,skills, money. Stopping boats is not about racism. The govt doesn't want poor uneducated people coming here. Planes can be controlled easily , boats not so easy.

Off topic but:

OMG this is a rarity someone that gets it, yes its about politics but its also about the social status of the people we allow to come here.

Australian government want or prefer people with money, education and skills, and in particular english skills, because these people pay tax and contribute more to the economy..

If they don't have those things they become a huge long term problem economically and cost tax payers, and we also see social problems and generations of low social economic disadvantage fuel problems like crime.

Thing is the majority of refugees come from developing countries, where the majority of people do not have money, do not have great eduction, do not have on paper skills, have little to no english skills, the majority of these people have never had a need for a passport as to travel internationally cost money.

The whole system and issue apart from votes to a degree is about money and economics and helps ensure we get the cream of the refugee crop…nothing whatsoever to do with race or skin colour or even religion, those are just distractions.

As for people drowning at sea no government actually cares about the life's lost, they only care about the ammunition the opposing political party can gain if people drown under their policy.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 11:05am
brutus wrote:
happyasS wrote:

Floyd. About the foreigners, that's my.point your making. Immigration is a business transaction ,skills, money. Stopping boats is not about racism. The govt doesn't want poor uneducated people coming here. Planes can be controlled easily , boats not so easy.

the govt doesn't want poor uneducated people coming here ....how many boats of refugees are anglo-saxon origin..None.

The term refugee....any idea of what refugee is ???

Refugee and immigration are 2 seperate issues......

c'mon

They are two separate issues from a moral standpoint. However from a government agenda that wants to control influx of people that it sees as worthy then it's in fact the same issues. Refugees or immigration. It doesn't matter, the govt just sees another head on it's electoral role. Sure we sign up to the geneva conventions.....for what they are worth.

So if your suggesting that the govt is racist on account of it's boat patrol policies but not racist on account of it's immigration policies. Cmon brutus...its all a mix of race coming in. So were not racist to chinese but are racist to sri Lankans? I don't buy it.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 11:14am

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 11:42am

and there you have it, its apparently acceptable for the Australian Government to ignore international law on the treatment of refugees on economic grounds.

Indo & happyass, I suggest you start a new forum topic on this issue or move it to the abbott forum where its been covered extensively .... I'd like to hear more of your worldly views on the topic.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:06pm
happyasS wrote:
brutus wrote:
happyasS wrote:

the govt doesn't want poor uneducated people coming here ....how many boats of refugees are anglo-saxon origin..None.

c'mon

They are two separate issues from a moral standpoint. However from a government agenda that wants to control influx of people that it sees as worthy then it's in fact the same issues. Refugees or immigration. It doesn't matter, the govt just sees another head on it's electoral role. Sure we sign up to the geneva conventions.....for what they are worth.

So if your suggesting that the govt is racist on account of it's boat patrol policies but not racist on account of it's immigration policies. Cmon brutus...its all a mix of race coming in. So were not racist to chinese but are racist to sri Lankans? I don't buy it.

I would like to think that we are discussing from a moral view and not a govt view....

once upon time about 200 years ago....a bunch of convict criminals were dumped in Australia...now the descendants of those convict/criminals pass judgment on refugees before they get here..huh?

so far there have not been any Chinese refugees in boats.....Tamils , Afghanis ..etc.....no white westerners that I am aware of......

So try and discuss from a moral point of view not a twisted political point of view!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:12pm

SWANS won, Cowboys won where Thurston played great (again). Noel Pearson said a few good words on this issue also - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-01/noel-pearson-tells-indigenous-peop...

rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:16pm

The support for AG yesterday was huge, the people have made their point.
Racism occurs in every country, its not just an Australian problem, but we still have a way to go.
However inciting reactions from the crowd with aggressive after goal celebrations aren't positive for anyone, and need to be removed from the game. Many players of different nationalities play football and thats the
beauty of it.

And if punters are hiding in the crowd making racist comments, call them out and let them know its not on, pull ya head in and shut the fuck up. Carn the Saints.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:21pm
floyd wrote:

hey brutus,

It seems it is going to be bigger than the AG issue ultimately because I think its part of the conservative agenda or their "battle of ideas", you know, attempting to rewrite history to suit their personal and political sensitivities.

I'm also hoping it will be a watershed moment when things improve for our Aboriginal communities but I'm also mindful of the hurt and bitterness that will be stirred up given the lack of real political leadership. I guess its the same as it has ever been, a grass roots movement for change.

Trying to be positive this morning so I'll not start on what I really think about Bolt or I might explode into rage.

Floyd ,I think we are experiencing a watershed moment as when Nicky Winmar and Adam Gilbert both took a stand against Collingwood supporters...

this does not suit the right wing agenda .....Abbott/Jones/Bolt/Price etc.....are all very threatened.....and shows how fear......that they peddle can be divisive and also scare the moronic masses into reacting out of fear ......

I can't wait to get back home and go to the footy!!

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:23pm

Cmon floyd. It's clearly not acceptable. Im only responding to brutus claims. I have my own internal struggle about helping refugees . Ie how far as a country do we go. for me its complex but that doesnt make me racist, just human.

Happy to go back on topic though. It was a deviation. Apologies for any offence taken. That was not my intention. I

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:25pm
rh-taxi wrote:

The support for AG yesterday was huge, the people have made their point.
Racism occurs in every country, its not just an Australian problem, but we still have a way to go.
However inciting reactions from the crowd with aggressive after goal celebrations aren't positive for anyone, and need to be removed from the game. Many players of different nationalities play football and thats the
beauty of it.

And if punters are hiding in the crowd making racist comments, call them out and let them know its not on, pull ya head in and shut the fuck up. Carn the Saints.

Do you think when Nicky Winmar raised his jumper to the Collingwood crowd he was inciting a reaction from the crowd?

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:38pm
brutus wrote:
happyasS wrote:
brutus wrote:
happyasS wrote:

c'mon

I would like to think that we are discussing from a moral view and not a govt view....

once upon time about 200 years ago....a bunch of convict criminals were dumped in Australia...now the descendants of those convict/criminals pass judgment on refugees before they get here..huh?

so far there have not been any Chinese refugees in boats.....Tamils , Afghanis ..etc.....no white westerners that I am aware of......

So try and discuss from a moral point of view not a twisted political point of view!

The morality of what?...racism or helping disadvantaged people. Being immoral in the later doesn't imply the former. Or is that too twisted for you.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:41pm

Yes. To the Nicky Winmar question .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:45pm

Udo you would think Nicky was inciting the crowd..you altar boy splitter!!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:53pm

It seems we may have been discombobulated by events, as Pearson said. Great word, heh.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 12:55pm

Brute , it was Gilbert Mc Adam . Oops
Nicky Winmars gesture was the most awe inspiring act in the face of adversity in AFL terms . It's simplicity, silence and tact were brilliant . ( Note he was pointing the finger at himself ) .....
At the time it was seen as inciting the crowd , and it was . Anyone who had stepped foot onto Victoria Park against Collingwood knew that crowd deserved it , and regardless of any arguement at e time whether it was right or wrong . Nicky Winmar was no rocket scientist , but that simple reactionary gesture spoke millions of words more than some of the shit that's been peddled on this issue around Australia and maybe internationally in the last few weeks . Go back further and Polly Farmer quietly dominating all around him also stands out . Sometimes the less said speaks more volume . On that note I'm out .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 1:19pm
southey wrote:

Nicky Winmars gesture was the most awe inspiring act in the face of adversity in AFL terms . It's simplicity, silence and tact were brilliant . ( Note he was pointing the finger at himself ) .....
At the time it was seen as inciting the crowd , and it was . Anyone who had stepped foot onto Victoria Park against Collingwood knew that crowd deserved it , and regardless of any arguement at e time whether it was right or wrong . Nicky Winmar was no rocket scientist , but that simple reactionary gesture spoke millions of words more than some of the shit that's been peddled on this issue around Australia and maybe internationally in the last few weeks . Go back further and Polly Farmer quietly dominating all around him also stands out . Sometimes the less said speaks more volume . On that note I'm out .

sorry about that Southey...having a few reds ....Sat nite here......being spat on and being told to go back to where you came from.....telling Nicky and gilbert their mums fell out of a metho bottle....etc.....this was a very aggressive act at the time. the then C'wood president told them to start acting like white fellas...the bone was pointed at the club...and the c'wood club then had on e of their worst years on record ..they were literally cursed.......

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 2:49pm

In Hindsight, prior to the Indigenous Round, I think the AFL & the Indigenous players should of communicated to the AFL public that certain "Indigenous celebrations" re war dance, would be conducted throughout the Round. From what I can gather, Adam Goodes had already planned & possibly stated to some people that he & others had planned on performing these dances. This way the AFL public who have not had any previous exposure to such dances would have been "Educated "about the significance & importance of these dances and therefore understood the context.

Given this didn't happen, IMO the gesture of this dance towards the opposition crowd was always going to incite a negative reaction from some people. Ofcourse this doesn't excuse any raciest reactions. I just think it was a golden opportunity missed.

I think ignorance was displayed on all fronts, by Adam Goodes, the AFL and a portion of the AFL public and beyond. Education and communication is the only way out this mess. The vast majority have to get onboard if its going to be sorted long term IMO.

I think when Goodes called out the 13yr old girl it was simply one of those very significant moments, not unlike the Nicky Winmar moment, that history (hopefully) we will refer to as another turning point towards a positive out come in regards to racism...........

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 3:07pm
floyd wrote:

and there you have it, its apparently acceptable for the Australian Government to ignore international law on the treatment of refugees on economic grounds.

Indo & happyass, I suggest you start a new forum topic on this issue or move it to the abbott forum where its been covered extensively .... I'd like to hear more of your worldly views on the topic.

It doesn't mean I agree with how any governments deal with the topic, i think its absolutely crazy that on one hand we are signed to the refugee convention so pretty much dangling the carrot but on the other hand we shut the door we have a very conflicting stance….anyway I've had my say on that issue in related threads, a very complex issue with no easy answers.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 3:25pm

Here's an idea, why don't you both move on a bit. You're both great contributors and it would be good if you could bounce ideas off each other without this niggling. Udo, we know what you meant about the altar boy joke whether it was a double entendre or not, the meaning was pretty clear. You fucked up, who isn't guilty of that? Say sorry, it aint that hard. And MC, a wise guy told me once not to poke the bear. That wasn't a poke. Barely a tickle, Udo is a good guy and one of the more repectful ones on here. It's a surfee forum man, gonna get a bit colourful at times.

Anyway, I think the thirteen year old girl was the perfect target. She's the future. Racism is ingrained in older people. Pretty hard to change but it has to start somewhere. This AG stuff is making people talk about it and that's a good thing. That girl will hopefully be a mother and have a decent partner one day and she will hopefully teach her kids that racism and bigotry is wrong and they in turn theirs.

I haven't watched a game of AFL in years but hearing about this booing? Disgraceful and even worse to an Australian of the year. For fucks sake, show some respect!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 3:36pm

BTW. While on the topic of racism.

Is this racism??? (I've always wondered if people who don't know me would view it)

If you naturally gravitate to people with coloured skin??? Like say at the pub or party or BBQ or just at the or wherever, if your in a situation where you have to pick a person to strike up a conversation with or just pick an area of the room to go and hang.

Because to be honest, i naturally gravitate to interacting with people with coloured skin, be it Asian, African, Aboriginal I'm not sure why it might have something to do with how i was brought up my mother who although is European lived in Africa and fiji from very young until her late teens and although it was looked down on she always played with the local coloured kids, she did talk about this a lot when young, maybe it influence me.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 4:10pm

Get over it goodes.You've had your days mate if you cant handle it fuck ofl.to all you cunts that support this so called racist bullshit howmany are actually indigenous?

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 4:40pm

indo....from Wikipedia "Racism consists of ideologies and practices that seek to justify, or cause, the unequal distribution of privileges, rights or goods among different racial groups."

so if you consider your own place at the pub as a "privilege" to others....and you are motivated (I stress the word "motive") to distribute your privilege unequally towards coloured members at the pub.....then yes you are racist :) ..... a racist towards white people.

however....if your "motive" is to chew up the coloured peoples time with drunk pointless drivel while the whites steal all the $10 jugs then I would say that you are racist towards blacks.

im stumped. what was the question?

....in all seriousness though....no your not racist....I think the WIKI definition tells you that.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 5:25pm
brutus wrote:
southey wrote:

sorry about that Southey...having a few reds ....Sat nite here......being spat on and being told to go back to where you came from.....telling Nicky and gilbert their mums fell out of a metho bottle....etc.....this was a very aggressive act at the time. the then C'wood president told them to start acting like white fellas...the bone was pointed at the club...and the c'wood club then had on e of their worst years on record ..they were literally cursed.......

Some one must of put a bloody big curse on Richmond then!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 5:59pm

i think goodes has done nothing he needs to apologise for, yeh in hindsight maybe the 13 year old girl thing was an overreaction but he's already redeemed himself for that, and certainly doesn't need to apologise. clearly some footy bogans have not, and never will forgive him, this has manifested and compoundrd into some seriously overzealous booing at the footy. this has built up in goodes mind until he did the war dance thing, which is now looking like it was a bad idea. as many have said, one could have guessed the reaction to that ie. in an energy filled atmosphere that is a football stadium, when peopke are growling at you and you turn around and basically say fuck you, all your gonna get back is a bigger no fuck you!!

as shown in that richiuto article, it is now all blowing way out of proportion. i have seen two part aboriginal people have a slanging match on facebook calling each other racists, and ive seen posts saying reconciliation has been set way back, unfortunately this is true.

the way i see it the reason its blown out of proportion is because it drags up all this underlying stuff that pisses people of on both sides of this argument. the left wont stand for any racism of any kind (a pipedream i reckon) abd the right get to vent their frustrations at political correctness. as always most peopke are somewhere in the middle.

when you have many part aboriginal people arguing about who and what is more racist there are no winners. such an event could only happen in australia for many reasons, not least because we seem to have too many rules on what you can say, i think context is more important than words, but no in oz we have these blanket rules that confuse and piss people off. i would never use udo's term and i am reluctant to even say 'part aboriginal' bcos for some even this is too much, udo is probably a little ignorant but i doubt he was being malicious.

the fact that in oz i am reluctant to even mention someone being of mixed race shows we have gone too far. and people are very frustrated which boils over when something like this happens. its not just race its also about people being fat, a migrant, a muslim, whatever. people feel that they cannot state the bloody obvious, as a result we're now some of the fattest most pc people on the planet.

all these ideas are social constructs, that have no meaning in some other countries. im reluctant to use Indonesia as an example because ironically brutus seems to have racist tendencies to them, but hey thats the only other society i feel i know. in indonesia,if your fat, you're called fat, if you're black you're called black, if you're white you're called white, and if you're lazy, you're called lazy, if you're at a school working students out, a teacher wil say "the fat lazy black kid at the back" not ideal, not nice, for us, but kinda practical, and usually the fat black kid will laugh about it too!

some aboriginal people don't even know the ape thing is offensive, one said so in the frurore i described above. hard to believe but true, because unless some well meaning white teacher type tells you, you might miss it in daily conversation. and here is the irony, often its white folk deciding what is and isn't offensive, constructing the social norms. and the said white folk are so racked with guilt from a dispicable past they are making norms that are a little hypersensitive.

we need some pc and we need some social norms but i think if the white folk that are super quick to jump on the bandwagon backed off a bit the brutal bogans might actually listen to what they have to say, yelling and labelling doesn't usually win people over, as goodes has found out. if everyone could back off a bit australia might be able to have the conversations we obviously need to have

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 6:40pm

Well said sypkan.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:22pm

Popped out for a meal and a few ales came back on to re read the vile spray Brutus gave me
Accusations of being a pedafile and racist, Altar Boy Splitter......inexcusable ....disgusting ......any one get to read it ?
Didn't wish for it to be deleted, wished many more could have chance to see it.........someone really showed there true colours !!!!!!!
Not realying on the always in cyberspace thing....took a pic of the verbal spray on screen with the new I phone ...brilliant .
That's me ....im outta here never to repost.
Keep your eyes on instagram .....this may get interesting.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:52pm

Hang around Udo.

I always enjoy your posts.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:35pm

What's your Insta name udo?

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:41pm

Udo not gonna play this weekend?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:42pm

Don't go. I think you both should take a step back then move on.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:48pm

Udo you have always been a great scource of updated knowledge for this site. Be a shame to lose that.

You & Brutus both let this petty shit fight drag on for far too long. Your both adult men, sort it out like adult men FFS...........pathetic......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:49pm
norchock wrote:

Get over it goodes.You've had your days mate if you cant handle it fuck ofl.to all you cunts that support this so called racist bullshit howmany are actually indigenous?

Agree there funny Indo name.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 11:20pm
udo wrote:

Popped out for a meal and a few ales came back on to re read the vile spray Brutus gave me
Accusations of being a pedafile and racist, Altar Boy Splitter......inexcusable ....disgusting ......any one get to read it ?
Didn't wish for it to be deleted, wished many more could have chance to see it.........someone really showed there true colours !!!!!!!
Not realying on the always in cyberspace thing....took a pic of the verbal spray on screen with the new I phone ...brilliant .

Aboriginals always turned again Christians...!

Peace out Udo.....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:58pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 7:58pm
zenagain wrote:

Don't go. I think you both should take a step back then move on.

Agreed

It's always going to be a topic with very divided views and very strong views and to some it could be an issue that some have experienced first hand.

So yeah take a step back and move on it would be sad to see you Udo or Brutus not post here from something someone said.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 8:28pm

agreed agreed,

threads shutting down
people bailing, its gonna get real boring here

geez i even miss uplift

my philosophy is...
its ok to disagree

which means a lot of people will disagree with me.
that's fine i rather be a free thinking outcast than a gimp

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 8:40pm

For some reason this has really resonated with me, I've been particularly moved by the debate over the past 7 days, alternating between despair, disgust, hope, optimism, worry and above all respect for Adam Goodes. I'm just a regular white bloke but I've been lucky enough to have lived in many parts of the world and have seen how different places deal with racial and cultural diversity. We do a lot of things right but I think we have some steps left to take.

I Agree with a lot of what Sykpan said but I don't find it hard to find the right language to acknowledge racial differences without doing it in stereotype. I think the difficulty people have in that may stem from the charicature of the politically correct. It's pretty easy to find the right words or tone if you just avoid being disrespectful based on the colour of people's skin or their cultural heritage. You can always step on a toe or two but in the whole I think people respect, respect.

I'm as lefty as they come really, as PC as you can imagine. But I refer to people as black, asian, muslim whatever, if they're black, asian, muslim or whatever. Working with people from all of these cultural backgrounds, I've never had a problem. It's just about being respectful. If you fear saying the wrong thing and use hushed tones around those words, then it can seem like you have an issue. If you're up front and comfortable and clearly respectful, then people are fine. At least I've found that.

If I could label a source for the misunderstanding that I think sykpan spoke of, I think it would come from the far right painting the problem as lefty PC crap. Half the time you hear the Bolts of the world complaining about the PC brigade preventing us from using certain words etc. I'm pretty bloody PC and I sit there and think, I use those words all the time and so do plenty of friends and colleagues. You just do it respectfully. The Bolts of the world thrive on creating this conflict where they're the victim of a confusing society and I think people get caught up in that, whether they're fans of those people or not, because it has become the dominant narrative. Not suggesting anyone here is a rabid Andrew Bolt fan, just that the narrative he (and others) spins has become the dominant but I think it only serves to mislead.

I don't think this episode has set back reconciliation in this country. It's exposed some warts we probably didn't know we still had, or we'd been ignoring, but from that I think it's one of those major lessons that we'll take a tremendous amount of growth out of. Getting people talking and confronting these ideas is tough. It's never sunshine and unicorns, but the national conversation can and should lead to growth. I do hope so anyway.

I seriously fucken admire Adam Goodes for what he's asked us to do, which is to look at how we treat people of different cultures (in particular indigenous people) and see if we can do better. There's no doubt we've made great strides in the past few decades, but we've got a few more steps to take. Goodes is asking us to take them. He's rightly poked the bear. Perhaps the reaction was more than he anticipated but that's beginning to turn.

I was genuinely uplifted by the conversation on Offsiders this morning. Some great insights, one in particular from Francis Leach (triple J mornings from years ago), who made the point that we don't yet have the language for the kind of conversation we need to have about this. It seems to me like we're getting down to more subtle race issues now and it takes a different language from that which brought the 1967 referendum and other significant changes. In a sense that was all low hanging fruit. White Australia took some obvious steps back then, and continues to do so with the apology etc. But now we're into the next stage of dealing with more subtle racism. It requires a different language, more nuance and understanding. Many of us haven't perceived some of this as racial issues before. But those affected are telling us it's there, and we need to keep getting better. Every step will only lead to a better society, closer to our highest, probably unattainable, ideal.

If anyone's interested, check out the Offsiders bit. They kicked it off with a wonderful tribute to Goodes and the support he was shown yesterday, around the country, set to The Children Came Back by Briggs, Gurrumul and Dewayne Everettsmith. It's bloody brilliant. It gave me hope that we can take more, subtle, steps forward.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/content/2015/s4285343.htm

Goodes is Australian. Australian of the Year from 2014 and I'm proud to share his nationality.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 10:43pm

Disagree Benski.

The language exists.

The only required word is IGNORE .

Ignore the colour of someone's skin , the letters that make up their name , the history of their ancestors and what they eat at smoko.

Act as though these things make zero impact on how you should treat someone . As you , me and everyone regardless of the colour of their skin, name, cultural history and the contents of their lunch should be doing.

This is what a world without rascism looks like.

Not the New Segregation that the media appears to be gravitating towards.

Rascism is no better ,worse , more important , or even mildly different from any other form of disrespect or hate.

No nuances or new lessons to be learnt.

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

PS If you're an adult and you need someone , anyone to tell you how you should be treating different cultures , then you are either :

A - the result of an experimental program that raises human offspring in an extremely limited social environment .

Or

B- A fucking idiot.

It doesn't paint you as entirely enlightened when you're at pains to describe the convolutions you're prepared to contort yourself into to accept other people.

PPS. If you still need an explanation of what a utopian future would look like in Australia, then keep your eyes and ears open for the day when a person isn't described as a Proud Aboriginal Man or a White Bogan.

For these are both racially pejorative terms.

To mention race is pejorative full stop.

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 10:04pm

"It doesn't paint you as entirely enlightened when you're at pains to describe the convolutions your prepared to contort yourself into to accept other people."

Not sure if that's directed at me but if so I think you're misinterpreting what I've said.

But I certainly agree with you that people shouldn't need to be told how to treat someone of a different culture. This episode, and others like it, have shown that not all of us have figured that out yet. We've come a long way but we've got a way to go. I'm ok to disagree with you on the language, nuance and remaining lessons to be learned though.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 10:17pm

oh bloody hell blowin!

benski had me there until you piped in with your simple but sage logic, so true i reckon, acceptance and respect come from the heart not the mouth

benski, I'm way more pc in person than the games we play on here, but like you I have no qualms calling people black, asian, muslim etc. i think you learn the skills to get away with it from living amongst other cultures. which is why i like to stir those nice white righteous pc boys living in the Australia bubble

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 10:51pm

and so I end of this horrid week and my forum comments on SW with some words passed onto me by a very beautiful person ...........

"I have been getting increasingly bewildered by the current climate of fear in Australian society. While I know many people stand both open minded and open armed towards those in our communities that do not hold the dominant voice, there are equally many people who are not even interested in listening to what they have to say.

To remedy this, I hope that in the future rather than making a judgement or an assumption, people will ask a question. Rather than speaking, they will listen. Rather than criticising, they will empathise. Rather than being self-righteous, they will be introspective. Rather than feel fear towards the unknown or the unfamiliar, they will feel curiosity".

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 11:41pm

;)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 11:34pm
wellymon wrote:

Welly - you on the sauce tonight cobber ?

It's late for an East Coast Sunday night.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 2 Aug 2015 at 11:51pm
Blowin wrote:
wellymon wrote:

Welly - you on the sauce tonight cobber ?

It's late for an East Coast Sunday night.

Yeah Blowin.

I said I would/should not be here buddy.

But deep down I knew this was gonna be a shit discussion;)

I.........

Hate Racism, Religion and AFL..........EADU... go figure

:)

rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi Monday, 3 Aug 2015 at 5:13am

The world is full of people with things to say who don't know how to express it, and people with nothing to say who won't shut up. Famous poet can't remember his name.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 3 Aug 2015 at 6:21am
udo wrote:

Ok Udo..I apologize ,I stepped across the line.......too many reds , which I normally don't drink because I am an arsehole....no excuse , just explanation....

as you have have refused to apologize for your altar boy joke and seen hell bent on making comments that I consider racist.....about AG and the caste issue.......I should have not been so judgemental of you ...and lowered myself to personal insults...

I do not know your history , but a lot of people here Know mine...and I have tried to convey from personal experiences ,the negative experiences of racism........and also as I was an altar boy....the subject is too sensitive to go into detail.....but I now realize I should not be on these forums discussing this stuff as I let my emotions get the better of me......could blame the alcohol.....but I take responsibility for my actions and words......

So rather than you being bullied off SN...by me.......I respectfully ask you to reconsider......and I will now exit stage left......not out of spitting the dummy...but in disgust at myself......

thanx M

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 3 Aug 2015 at 8:19am

thanks brutus, time for everyone to take a deep breath and let go, release all this stuff that makes you feel less than peaceful/happy/joyful with your lives. It no longer serves you, you owe it nothing, This stuff doesnt define you, there is no need to feel attachment to anything that doesnt make you feel good about yourself.
Yes some of us have had bad stuff happen to us, but they are just experiences like any other experience and you can overcome them, by asking yourself, " Who am i in relation to this situation/experience/abuse?" If your answer is a victim, be willing to change it. Decide to be someone who can be stronger than it, someone who can help others. Forgive yourself and ask for forgiveness for others for their fucked up behaviours, because really they dont know what they are doing.
Going thru life being stupid must be fucked up, so they need help, let life help them, but let us enjoy life peacefully looking ahed, not backwards with shadows.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 3 Aug 2015 at 9:13am

a very genuine apology there brutus, i dont know what you said but i would imagine more than enough. we all get a bit loose on here, red wine or not, but we've gotta remember its just the fucking internet!!

it is much more difficult to manage this cyberspace thingy when you give up one's anonymity, and I hope swellnet takes these things seriously. personally I really appreciate the stories and experiences you share from a well above average life so I'd hate to think another legend is over and out, because for a real legend (rather than the self declared ones on here) you are one of the more humble and thoughtful contributors....most of the time.

there's some big egios on here and while you might get emotional at times your legendness is always in check... very admirable in thie current climate of shameless self promotion.

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Monday, 3 Aug 2015 at 9:32am

'a player gets called an ape.....by a 13 yr old girl, youre fucking joking, an ape -what the fuck is this sook player going on about.'

Oh the irony.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Aug 2015 at 9:34am

sypkan wrote:

threads shutting down people bailing

Thread shutting down - over moderation.

People bailing - under moderation.

What exactly do you want? When things get heated it's bloody hard to find a middle ground that suits everyone.

In general I defer to Montaigne: "The most boring conversation is the one where everyone agrees," but that only works up to a point. Trolling and abuse cross the line but the more robust the debate the harder it is to ascertain where that line is.