AFL racism

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Saturday, 25 May 2013 at 5:11pm

a player gets called an ape.....by a 13 yr old girl, youre fucking joking, an ape -what the fuck is this sook player going on about.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 8:01pm

Endless crap not even going to read this thread again, each to their own all over a pathetic game;)

Our brains are too small at the moment to comprehend the reality of what's happening in our forests . We're only just waking up so to speak . The big problem is we think we know everything, we are specks of dust on a timeline and we know nothing .

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 8:14pm

ooPs got one more call.
Sheepio you must be bored as fuck to write a essay like that.
Seen YS around the traps yet...?

Our brains are too small at the moment to comprehend the reality of what's happening in our forests . We're only just waking up so to speak . The big problem is we think we know everything, we are specks of dust on a timeline and we know nothing .

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 8:21pm

?

Our brains are too small at the moment to comprehend the reality of what's happening in our forests . We're only just waking up so to speak . The big problem is we think we know everything, we are specks of dust on a timeline and we know nothing .

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:02pm

Wellymon, you write "Endless crap not even going to read this thread again"....
Good...... Fuck off...... ;)

Stu, shats.....
This all started as "melbournecentric"...... I'll go for a fictional conspiracy theory.... What if when a certain couple of "old boys" in the "Melbourne white mafia", let's say an really irate extremely powerful "media and football identity" who had his team shamed and then shamed himself, and a newspaper lapdog, conspired to bring Goodes down? I can picture that powerbroker saying " that bl*** bastard didn't accept my apology!!!! He shamed my F*cking team!!! I'm gonna call my mate!!! Every time that bastard comes to MY TOWN, he'll get booed off the fucking field!!!!!!

Sheepdog

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:08pm

Sheepy surely you aren't suggesting that Eddie is behind the booing?
Yeah he is right up the arse of the herald scum and there would be no questioning or criticising their misleading reporting on his broadcasts but surely conspiring against Goodesy is a little far fetched.

Dingdoctor's picture
Dingdoctor's picture
Dingdoctor commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:18pm

So are we only allowed to boo white players that dive for free kicks now?

SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk's picture
SurferFuk commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:34pm

You are all apart from 10%, a bunch of Racist fuckheads................

Dreamtime mutha fuckas;)

Surfers have their mind buried in the sand;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:43pm

Wharfjunkie wrote: Sheepy surely you aren't suggesting that Eddie is behind the booing?
Yeah he is right up the arse of the herald scum and there would be no questioning or criticising their misleading reporting on his broadcasts but surely conspiring against Goodesy is a little far fetched.

Purely fictional mate..... Purley fictional ;)

Sheepdog

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:48pm

Sheepdog wrote: Wellymon, ....
Good...... Fuck off...... ;)

OOOOuuuccccchhhh Sheepio, A little bit harsh mate..
I know I wasn't gonna read this crap again, but seen Wellymon Fuck off....?

You have changed Sheepio, is it from moving or what...;)

Our brains are too small at the moment to comprehend the reality of what's happening in our forests . We're only just waking up so to speak . The big problem is we think we know everything, we are specks of dust on a timeline and we know nothing .

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 9:53pm

seal wrote:
AndyM wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Sheepdog wrote: indo.... You're saying Andrew Bolt has summed this up perfectly?? Andrew Bolt???

Yes strangely enough, this time has hit the nail right on the head.

I.D., as far as I'm concerned there still needs to be a lot of discussion and a lot of airing of dirty linen before Australia as a whole is ready to just move on.
From what I've seen, racism in this country goes very deep.


As it does in many other countries throughout the world, so Australia is not alone and by far not the worst.

So you would agree that we need to sort some shit out before we can simply "move forward"?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog commented Thursday, 30 Jul 2015 at 10:08pm

wellymon wrote:
Sheepdog wrote: Wellymon, ....
Good...... Fuck off...... ;)

OOOOuuuccccchhhh Sheepio, A little bit harsh mate..
I know I wasn't gonna read this crap again, but seen Wellymon Fuck off....?

You have changed Sheepio, is it from moving or what...;)

Must me from drinking the S.A water, welly....... Been some fun waves here too..... Not near yorko.... But hopefully get over that way later in the year

Sheepdog

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 12:11am

I am really impressed by a lot of the dialogue that has gone on in the last page or so......I am in the USA at the moment so in a different time zone......so could not join in.....but just woke up and feel last nites discussion was a positive one and that people actually are dealing with the reality's of the Racism that Adam Goodes has pushed out into the open.

Simply...there are those who believe and follow the likes of Alan Jones and Bolt....both known racists even convicted in the Australian Justice system......making a buck of peoples misery...and dividing and trying to wreak havoc on Australian society...

as long as we can communicate and deal with the facts....Australia will become a better society by recognising and kind of vilification as just pain negative and destructive....

I like Aly Waleed...you.....???

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 12:15am

Just listened to bolts 730 interview. I can't believe im saying this but the fucker is spot on. I'd normally prefer bolt just dropped dead. Goodes had it all. He didn't need to go down this path. But he chose to. He cops his medicine but complains?
Australia is a racist country, like many others. But goodes debacle is not racism, it's more tall poppy syndrome, throw in the media and thousands of footy fanatics, he should have known the outcome would be this.

Footy fans need to grow up though. I remember all the booing when I used to go to west coast games, I never understood it. It's just plain mindless expression, half the time I thought people booed because others did.

Individuals are highly intelligent , but put them together in a crowd and they go stupid.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 12:26am

Yeah but nah.

This is racist, simply visible by the context it has occurred within.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 8:58am

happyasS wrote: Goodes had it all. He didn't need to go down this path. But he chose to.

What path did he go down?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 9:07am

Don't worry, we will boo Gallen when he scores, because he chose that path. May even boo Thiaday, too but Inglis - noway - too classy.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 9:11am

tonybarber wrote: Don't worry, we will boo Gallen when he scores, because he chose that path. May even boo Thiaday, too but Inglis - noway - too classy.

So Tony, care to explain your "Adam Goodes has mixed heritage" comment from yesterday. Second request Tony.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 9:52am

I will help explain it.

Whether Adam chooses to acknowledge it or not he is 50% Aboriginal and 50% European, yes he can choose to identify as Aboriginal but you can't change who you are so when people talk about "his people" its silly Aboriginal people are his people, but his people are also non Aboriginal European ancestry Australians.

I find it strange that he seems to like to create division between both of these and draw a line in the sand, when he could actually be the perfect role model to both and a bridge between the two and say yes I am Aboriginal i respect my heritage and past, but i am also part non Aboriginal and i also respect my past and acknowledge that just because i also have european heritage i like others are not responsible for how my race behaved in the past especially seeing like most my past relatives were not even in Australia when these things happened.

However we are all responsible for our actions and how we treat people now and that is the important thing, if we are to move yes its important to look at the past and learn from it but it is also important to look forward and not dwell on the past and scratch at healing scars.

IMO he had the perfect platform as Australian of the year to highlight that although people may look at him and see an Aboriginal man that he is also no different to you and me in that he in part is from somewhere else, and that we are all Australians so lets move forwards together as Australians but this does not mean we can't be proud of our heritage and culture no matter where it originated from.

IMO he could have been the perfect role model to bring people together instead i think he has done the opposite.

Ada gula, ada semut!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 9:55am

But does he like to create division? I'm just not seeing it. Maybe on the footy field he riles the opposition, but in day to day life? Happy to be shown examples (I don't follow him that closely).

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 10:23am

stunet wrote:

But does he like to create division? I'm just not seeing it. Maybe on the footy field he riles the opposition, but in day to day life? Happy to be shown examples (I don't follow him that closely).

Stu, I think his fairfax article re' "utopia" was quite political - posted link earlier.....

I also think that alot of "whites" get irate when "halfcast" or "quartercast" people only identify with the "dark" side of their heritage... Whether that is "right, wrong or indifferent" is debatable.
It's also interesting that articles on Goodes penned by halfcast writers like Stan Grant seem to be getting all the attention.... I posted an article by Dallas Scott.... Worth a read, stu....

Sheepdog

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 10:33am

Is Goodes classed as a halfcaste or quartercast ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 10:45am

Sheepdog wrote:
stunet wrote:

But does he like to create division? I'm just not seeing it. Maybe on the footy field he riles the opposition, but in day to day life? Happy to be shown examples (I don't follow him that closely).

Stu, I think his fairfax article re' "utopia" was quite political - posted link earlier..... I also think that alot of "whites" get irate when "halfcast" or "quartercast" people only identify with the "dark" side of their heritage... Whether that is "right, wrong or indifferent" is debatable. It's also interesting that articles on Goodes penned by halfcast writers like Stan Grant seem to be getting all the attention.... I posted an article by Dallas Scott.... Worth a read, stu....

Fuck, that's a good piece by Stan Grant. I'll read the Dallas Scott article when I get a moment.

As an aside: when I was about 12 I wrote a letter to Stan, can't remember what it was about, but I guess  he did a story on Today Tonight which inspired me to get out the biro. Unbelievably, Stan wrote a long letter back to me, in handwriting! Still got it somewhere.

I also wrote a letter to Gene Simmons but never heard back from him.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 11:56am

well said indodream...

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 12:23pm

I don't follow AFL so I am not intimately aware of the goings-on, but to draw parallels with the haka is incorrect IMO. The theatre of sport is two teams of combatants going at it, and the supporters of respective teams supporting theirs and deriding the other. There is a pretty clear distinction between those playing and those watching.

The haka is an aggressive or combative act from players to players - not players to spectators. From what I saw, when he did the routine and aimed it at the crowd, he was inviting the fight. No doubt it was in response to the shit he had already copped, but he made a clear physical challenge to the people in the stands. Obviously they can't come on the field and belt him, so they voice their opinion instead. It has definitely gone on too long, but you can't be surprised that the crowd would go him for it.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 12:30pm

indo-dreaming wrote: I will help explain it.

Whether Adam chooses to acknowledge it or not he is 50% Aboriginal and 50% European, yes he can choose to identify as Aboriginal but you can't change who you are so when people talk about "his people" its silly Aboriginal people are his people, but his people are also non Aboriginal European ancestry Australians.

I find it strange that he seems to like to create division between both of these and draw a line in the sand, when he could actually be the perfect role model to both and a bridge between the two and say yes I am Aboriginal i respect my heritage and past, but i am also part non Aboriginal and i also respect my past and acknowledge that just because i also have european heritage i like others are not responsible for how my race behaved in the past especially seeing like most my past relatives were not even in Australia when these things happened.

However we are all responsible for our actions and how we treat people now and that is the important thing, if we are to move yes its important to look at the past and learn from it but it is also important to look forward and not dwell on the past and scratch at healing scars.

IMO he had the perfect platform as Australian of the year to highlight that although people may look at him and see an Aboriginal man that he is also no different to you and me in that he in part is from somewhere else, and that we are all Australians so lets move forwards together as Australians but this does not mean we can't be proud of our heritage and culture no matter where it originated from.

IMO he could have been the perfect role model to bring people together instead i think he has done the opposite.

You will "help to explain" what? how another man should live his life, what his thoughts are and how he should view the world? Very magnanimous for you Indo. Also very hurtful.

50 / 50 ... interesting but factually wrong but lets not let the facts get in the way of an ill-informed position. While I'm prepared to totally give you the benefit of the doubt here Indo, any discussion on what percentage a person is black or white is what would be now called 19th century racism e.g. "lets breed the black out of them". Its also a line Andrew Bolt peddled out to question the Aboriginal heritage of several people in those infamous articles of his that he went to court over (and lost). Its also very very hurtful, if you know any Aboriginals you would know this and you would know its up to the individual to decide how they relate to their heritage.

Why it Adam Goodes creating division? How did he do this? All morning I heard people on radio talking about that poor 13 year old girl. If anyone of us want to be properly informed about this read what Adam Goodes said in the days after that event. He was fully supportive of that girl. Again nothing like being misinformed and having a public opinion anyway. Further, if any one wants to be informed about all the community work Adam Goodes does you will find he is a bridge builder between people.

Adam Goodes' big sin is ... he is a proud Aboriginal man and he dares to stand up. He makes some in our community very uncomfortable because he's different and he's black and some people in our community don't like different in their black minorities they just like compliant.

@Tony Barber, you're very good at the snide comment across many forum topics this included. Your earlier comment here sent you to new depths.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 12:33pm

udo wrote: Is Goodes classed as a halfcaste or quartercast ?

I thought you might ask if he is an altar boy...?

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 1:54pm

Kaiser. Spot on. He.chose his actions. I feel sorry for him, a fanatic crowd can be ruthless. But he must have known the outcome.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 2:01pm

7:30 report, 30/07/2015. Bolt vs Charlie King.

ANDREW BOLT: Listen, I cop a lot of abuse with the positions I take. Look at the ABC Twitter feed after this. You'll see plenty of abuse. You gotta get over some of this stuff. Look, I don't appreciate racism at all. And what that girl said was wrong. But you also have to walk in her shoes, mate. I mean, she's 13, for heaven's sake. Now Adam Goodes was a symbol we could really unite around before this. He was showered with honours, he was a team captain, he was admired, he was made Australian of the Year afterwards. Now, listen, there's no lack of love and support for Adam Goodes, but...

[there's always a 'but']

when people see a man richer than they are, more successful than they are, showered with more awards than they are, acting like he's the victim of a race war that they can't even see, yes, suddenly his symbolism is tarnished.

Comment?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 2:03pm

happyasS wrote: Kaiser. Spot on. He.chose his actions. I feel sorry for him, a fanatic crowd can be ruthless. But he must have known the outcome.

His actions??? Being called an Ape.....a racist statement...how would he know she was 13......mother asks Goodes for an apology......huh.....great parenting...how about the mother taking responsibilty for bad parenting....how could Goodes know the outcome of someone being racist to him...except for racists trying to defend , the indefensible!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 2:36pm

brutus wrote:
udo wrote: Is Goodes classed as a halfcaste or quartercast ?

I thought you might ask if he is an altar boy...?


Geez Brutus not the Altar boy again,i asked a serious question re the Indigenous % of Adam Goodes .....at least you didn't ask for an Abo joke like last time ?
Settle down 'Kenny Everett'
brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 2:40pm

Udo....do you understand what vilification is.....??

and yeah you started this AFL post ...with what I thought was a joke about a 13 year old being vilified by AG...

So true to form...Joking about pedophile priests splitting altar boys and a poor 13 year old who racially abused AG.....hmmm

have good think about the depth of your humor and you seem to not understand what racism is......but as I said earler...there are those who liken themselves to Bolte/price/jones...its pretty obvious where your opinions are..

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 2:48pm

My point, Brutus, is that I think the tribal dance at the crowd became the flashpoint for this affair. As reprehensible as the booing is, I think it would have died down if he didn't cross the divide between the playing field and the stands. Not excusing the booing at all, and everything before it, and I don't really blame him for doing it, but the result is hardly surprising.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 2:50pm

Here Udo......try this and see how many boxes you tick...or not..?

Racism is an ever-present undercurrent in the Australian national debate, but over the past few weeks it feels like it's been boiling over - in multiple directions. We've had the Reclaim Australia rallies openly professing their anti-Islamic xenophobia, we've seen Labor submit to the Coalition's policy to turn back desperate asylum seekers, we've seen union ads using anti-Chinese sentiment to advertise opposition to the FTA, we've sat through three nights of Kim on SBS's Go Back To Where You Came From, and we've had to listen to a whole lot of bigoted white people using their platform to excuse the racist booing of Adam Goodes, who's been driven from the football field by the controversy.

Of course, everyone agrees racism is bad. So much so that to call someone a racist these days is considered by many racists to be a worse insult than calling someone a racist slur. Go figure.

Because people being racist really, really hate to be called racist, we're seeing them increasingly deploy completely twisted logic to make the case that their racism is not racism. Here are eight common arguments racist use to try and water down what they're saying and make it sound reasonable. Don't fall for it, will you?

1. 'It's political correctness gone mad'

Advertisement

Let's just stop for a second and remind ourselves why "political correctness" exists. It exists because of a recognition that language and behaviour is impactful - and that if we are to remove discriminatory practices then having guidelines for language and behaviour that does not add to a discriminatory environment is essential. But that's when we're talking about the official version of PC. Most of the time when people talk about PC, it's not about official language and codes of conduct. It's just about people calling you out for being a bigot.

PC has gotten a bad rap for being censorious - but it is rarely about censorship outside of official, organisational contexts. Funnily enough, what racists describe as 'censorship' in most cases is its opposite. It's just people openly disagreeing with bigotry, in a way that might make a bigot feel a bit of pressure to rethink his or her behaviour.

Every time anyone says something is "political correctness gone mad" what they usually mean is "a bunch of people reckon I said or did the wrong thing, and I don't like it". Boo hoo.

2. 'It's not about race, I just hate your religion and/or culture...'

How many times has a pro-booing commentator come out this week saying the booing isn't racist because people are just fed up with Goodes "displaying his Indigenous heritage" and they find his "war dance" confronting? It's incredible. And it's exactly the same as the 'culture, not race' argument that Islamophobes constantly use to pretend their beef is merely with religion and not the brown people they are afraid will come here and turn our white Australian privilege upside-down.

Most of us in 2015 have evolved beyond seeing 'race' as merely genetic. Science tells us that if we're just going by genes, race doesn't really exist. So what is it? It's about family, culture, history, beliefs, a sense of place and belonging with others who share those same or similar things. Hating and fearing other people because of their culture or religion and claiming that is different to racism shows a totally elementary and outdated notion of what race means.

It seems that the only element of cultural difference Australians can agree to tolerate is food (as long as it's not Halal) - all else must be erased and replaced with white, Christian Aussie values and practices. Well sorry, but that's just racist.

3. "I'm not white, my friends are not white, and/or non-whites agree with me."

White people don't have a monopoly on racism, despite the fact that in most parts of the world white people are the overwhelming beneficiaries of it. Racism and xenophobia exist to protect the interests of privileged groups. It's more complex than just skin colour. It's also about class, culture, beliefs, and assimilation. Racism, like sexism and classism, is often internalised by members of oppressed groups, because the message of white (and male, and upper-class) supremacy and the need to submit and assimilate is powerful; and Australia is saturated with it.

As Ruby Hamad articulated recently, the mere existence of non-white people amongst Reclaim Australia rallies, for example, does not negate the racism of its agenda.

4. 'I'll decide if it's racist or not, thanks (and I say it's not)."

White people like to define racism even though it by-and-large doesn't affect them (in a negative way, anyway), because it means they can excuse racist stuff they're doing as "not racist" and therefore keep doing it. So it's easy enough for people to say "racism is Nazis and KKKs and I think that stuff is bad, so I'm not racist", and sure, people who define it like that probably don't believe in actually sending other ethnic groups to the gas chambers by the millions or having lynching parties.

But then again, if you complain about the genocide of your culture and the colonisation of your ancestral lands and the effect both of those things are having on you and your family now, shut the hell up! That stuff is water under the bridge, because white people said so, OK?

A note on "maybe some of the people booing Adam Goodes are doing it because they're racist, but I'm not." Well, mate. Here's the thing. You're well aware by now that there is a significant racial element to the booing. Whether it was 100 per cent racial to start with or not, it now - unambiguously - is. If you choose to join in knowing this, you're aligning yourself with that element. Pure and simple. Got it, Warney?

5. 'Not all white people'

Why should the racist choices of a few have any bearing on me? And while we're on the topic, why should I feel bad because a whole lot of white people before me made things easier for me and harder for others?

Sorry, friend. You don't get to decide whether other people's racism, systemic racism in our society, affects you. It just does. And if the only negative effects you notice are when people with less racial privilege than you point out how it's hurting them? Consider yourself damn lucky. You have two choices: be complicit or take a stand against it.

If all you can think of to say when you hear about racist stuff white people do is "hold up - we don't ALL do that," you're basically admitting you care more about protecting your privileged group's reputation than about righting injustice. G'day, complicit racist!

6. 'You're playing the victim'

People who victimise others just love pulling out this card. Oh, you don't like being victimised? Well maybe if you stop crying about it, I'll stop beating you up! Keep crying and you'll keep getting hit - simple!

Anyone who's been bullied, physically or emotionally, in any context, has probably been told at some stage that if they just cop it and stop complaining it will go away. And maybe that'd work if it's just a school bully, providing he or she conveniently finds another victim. But when you're bullied because of your identity - race, gender, sexuality, religion, disability - keeping quiet will never be a long-term solution to being hurt by systematic injustice. Nor should we demand it be so.

When Alan Jones said Adam Goodes "always plays the victim" this week, he showed his cards as nothing but a schoolyard bully with an oversized microphone. But we already knew that, didn't we?

7. 'I'm offended that you're calling me racist. That makes YOU racist.'

Ah yes, the old "calling out racism makes you the real bigot" line. This one's a real doozy. Firstly, you're not allowed to be offended by the racist thing I said or did. Secondly, and despite the fact that I simply hate oversensitive whingers (brown ones anyway), I'm allowed to be offended at the fact that you took offence. The real racial slur is the word 'racist', not 'ape'. Stop causing so much division with your bigotry!

This kind of logical acrobatics takes some serious double standards, put-yourself-on-a-huge-pedestal arrogance and absolute blissful ignorance to pull off. Luckily, Australia is a nation of arrogant-as-hell ignoramuses so we get to hear this sort of thing all the time.

8. If you lose your cool it proves me right

You know how annoyed you get when you're forced to hear people complain about the fact that they've been systematically punished their entire lives because of their skin colour? Imagine how mad you'd be if you were born on the wrong side of the playing field and were actually treated like a second-class citizen every day of your life, for generations upon generations? You'd be pretty mad.

But unlike privileged racists who are allowed to mouth off about upstarts getting all uppity, if people who actually have something to be pissed off about lose their cool and show their emotions then, well, they've just lost the argument haven't they? ~smug face emoji~

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 3:07pm

A wise man called Blob once said no don't Brutus don't make it worse ?
Sheepy, Dallas Scott link was good.
Any way I think I found the answer to my original question - 1/4 caste ..is that correct ?
anyone. ?

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 3:12pm

"The term 'half-caste' is indeed used to describe someone of mixed-race (mixed-parentage, mixed-heritage, or whatever other term is in vogue now). The reason that it is offensive however, is because the word itself has nothing to do with ethnicity.

Caste is a word describing social grouping or status and the term half-caste describes somebody who is not completely worthy of high caste status because one of their parents is from a lower caste, as was the case when blacks were considered by the consensus to be of lower privilege than whites.

To still use this word now is to suggest that difference in social status still exists and thus its offensiveness is in part similar to the way 'the n-word' is offensive. Of course, a person who uses the term today might be wholly unaware of its original connotation but indeed it is clear why some might be offended by it."

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 3:18pm

labels, labels labels
this is why when you attach yourself TOO MUCH to a label, black fella, white fella, aussie, queenslander, cockroach, mexican etc etc etc you end up separating yourself.
but you have to define yourself dave, who are you? Surely we have to know how we are, where we come from, our heritage?
a Human is the answer, a human being part of the biosphere of earth living in the milky way galaxy.
too far out for u, maybe, but it is the absolute truth and the most accurate definition that unites all people rather than divides them.

davetherave

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon commented Monday, 3 Aug 2015 at 12:26pm

Krist on a stick, we're now on this?? Racial classifications used and defined in law (in the 'bad old days') to determine how Aboriginal people were to be classified and treated by THE LAW?

Look up 'Half-Caste Act'. The 'Stolen Generations' is but one part of what that produced. (In)Sensitive term, ya reckon?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 3:59pm

A comment from Adam Goodes:

To understand what it means to be Indigenous you need to understand that we come with baggage .......every one of us

and every one of us has a choice as to how we deal with it.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 4:00pm

yea, The LAW of Separation, divide and conquer, i am more special than u, my god is better than yours etc etc etc,
indigenous? what does indigenous really mean? surely all humans are indigenous to planet earth? anything that tries to deny this is surely discrimination of the highest order.
Endemic is the term- meaning from that particular area, region etc etc
yes, certain peoples are endemic, but all humans, animals and plants are indigenous.
confused? yes, most of humanity is.

davetherave

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 4:02pm

floyd wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote: I will help explain it.

Whether Adam chooses to acknowledge it or not he is 50% Aboriginal and 50% European, yes he can choose to identify as Aboriginal but you can't change who you are so when people talk about "his people" its silly Aboriginal people are his people, but his people are also non Aboriginal European ancestry Australians.

I find it strange that he seems to like to create division between both of these and draw a line in the sand, when he could actually be the perfect role model to both and a bridge between the two and say yes I am Aboriginal i respect my heritage and past, but i am also part non Aboriginal and i also respect my past and acknowledge that just because i also have european heritage i like others are not responsible for how my race behaved in the past especially seeing like most my past relatives were not even in Australia when these things happened.

However we are all responsible for our actions and how we treat people now and that is the important thing, if we are to move yes its important to look at the past and learn from it but it is also important to look forward and not dwell on the past and scratch at healing scars.

IMO he had the perfect platform as Australian of the year to highlight that although people may look at him and see an Aboriginal man that he is also no different to you and me in that he in part is from somewhere else, and that we are all Australians so lets move forwards together as Australians but this does not mean we can't be proud of our heritage and culture no matter where it originated from.

IMO he could have been the perfect role model to bring people together instead i think he has done the opposite.

You will "help to explain" what? how another man should live his life, what his thoughts are and how he should view the world? Very magnanimous for you Indo. Also very hurtful.

50 / 50 ... interesting but factually wrong but lets not let the facts get in the way of an ill-informed position. While I'm prepared to totally give you the benefit of the doubt here Indo, any discussion on what percentage a person is black or white is what would be now called 19th century racism e.g. "lets breed the black out of them". Its also a line Andrew Bolt peddled out to question the Aboriginal heritage of several people in those infamous articles of his that he went to court over (and lost). Its also very very hurtful, if you know any Aboriginals you would know this and you would know its up to the individual to decide how they relate to their heritage.

Why it Adam Goodes creating division? How did he do this? All morning I heard people on radio talking about that poor 13 year old girl. If anyone of us want to be properly informed about this read what Adam Goodes said in the days after that event. He was fully supportive of that girl. Again nothing like being misinformed and having a public opinion anyway. Further, if any one wants to be informed about all the community work Adam Goodes does you will find he is a bridge builder between people.

Adam Goodes' big sin is ... he is a proud Aboriginal man and he dares to stand up. He makes some in our community very uncomfortable because he's different and he's black and some people in our community don't like different in their black minorities they just like compliant.

@Tony Barber, you're very good at the snide comment across many forum topics this included. Your earlier comment here sent you to new depths.

Its not my place to tell him how to live his life or view the world or think an i am not, that is just my opinion on an open forum.

I apologise if it is factually wrong that he is not 50% Aboriginal 50% European decent, but it is what i have read in articles and on his Wikipedia page, please provide a link to the true facts if this is not the case?

This is from his Wikipedia page "Goodes was born in South Australia, to Lisa May and Graham Goodes, with siblings Jake and Brett.[4] Goodes' father is of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry; his mother is an Indigenous Australian (Adnyamathanha and Narungga).[5][6]"

BTW. I want to make it clear just because I'm observing his heritage i am not saying it makes him a lesser Aboriginal or anything silly, i have a few friends that are part Aboriginal including one my best mate and that is up to them how they identify although surprisingly they have received negativity from full blood Aboriginal people like they are not true Aboriginal.

Well his actions whether he likes it or not or right or wrong have caused division, personally i don't think its intentional though, just a combination of bad timing and taken badly by people dare i say maybe he didn't consider the implications of some of his actions or the reaction he would get.

Ada gula, ada semut!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 4:18pm

Shatner'sBassoon wrote: 7:30 report, 30/07/2015. Bolt vs Charlie King.

ANDREW BOLT: Listen, I cop a lot of abuse with the positions I take. Look at the ABC Twitter feed after this. You'll see plenty of abuse. You gotta get over some of this stuff. Look, I don't appreciate racism at all. And what that girl said was wrong. But you also have to walk in her shoes, mate. I mean, she's 13, for heaven's sake. Now Adam Goodes was a symbol we could really unite around before this. He was showered with honours, he was a team captain, he was admired, he was made Australian of the Year afterwards. Now, listen, there's no lack of love and support for Adam Goodes, but...

[there's always a 'but']

when people see a man richer than they are, more successful than they are, showered with more awards than they are, acting like he's the victim of a race war that they can't even see, yes, suddenly his symbolism is tarnished.

Comment?

And I would ask Andrew Bolt will you walk in the shoes of every 13 year old Aboriginal kid who has to live and breathe racism on a daily basis.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 4:42pm

Wow, he really said that! Andrew Bolt another waste of space.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 4:44pm

@ Indo,

You say you have some friends that are "part Aboriginal". Is that the way they describe themselves? "G'day Floyd, I'm John and I'm part Aboriginal". Somehow, I don't think so. How do they describe themselves to you? honestly, ask them, how do they relate to their Aboriginal heritage. Hopefully they'll think enough of you and trust you enough to give you a full and honest answer.

I can tell you for a fact from 4 years working with Aboriginal communities this percentage stuff is very very hurtful and it links current day Aboriginals with their ancestors but in a sad way .... in all those ways government and settlers formally and informally disrupted indigenous life.

Finally, I'd suggest you shouldn't get in the habit of quoting Wikipedia, the only other person who I know quotes from that is our disgraced Environment Minister, Greg Hunt. Its where he seems to get his science on climate change!!!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 5:14pm

I don't know how they identify its not really something they talk about i don't think they really identify as Aboriginal though just more having an Aboriginal bloodline, i will ask though.

To be honest I've seen it all, one guy i worked with his grandmother mother was half Aboriginal but him himself he sure didn't identify as Aboriginal he was one of the mot racist people I've ever met especially towards Aboriginals (jokes etc), he was a real rough nut though basically a bogan who had only just got out from prison.

I did ask him one day how he could say that shit when he is part Aboriginal and he just cursed and spat more racial crap.

When i was young i also went to a school in an area with a high Aboriginal population it was a private school but in a housing commission area, i had one classmate who was full blood Aboriginal I remember going to the corner shop at lunch with him and he got fully paid out and abused in a racial way by the other older Aboriginal guys hanging there, it was only grade six but i remember it clearly as i didn't understand it, i guess it was because he was hanging with us and went to private school where very few Aboriginal kids did.

Ada gula, ada semut!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 6:09pm

The Drum on ABC TV tonight was compulsive viewing. Catch up on ABC's iview later tonight or tomorrow.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 6:22pm

Marngrook Footy Show definitely was last night!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 11:38pm

kaiser wrote: My point, Brutus, is that I think the tribal dance at the crowd became the flashpoint for this affair. As reprehensible as the booing is, I think it would have died down if he didn't cross the divide between the playing field and the stands. Not excusing the booing at all, and everything before it, and I don't really blame him for doing it, but the result is hardly surprising.

yes Kaiser the result is hardly surprising because of the racist element.....and lack of understanding / education on Australian Culture...you know the really old culture......not the racist one!

that's what this whole booing thing is about....trying to come to grips with the extent of racism in current day Australian culture and stop it.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 11:46pm

udo wrote: A wise man called Blob once said no don't Brutus don't make it worse ?
Sheepy, Dallas Scott link was good.
Any way I think I found the answer to my original question - 1/4 caste ..is that correct ?
anyone. ?

caste....a term from the ol colonial days to belittle and categorize humans into a class system...starting with the white elitists....needing to be the superior Humans......actually a Bloke called hitler tried the Aryan race thingy........

your caste statement Udo is racist.......I am now sure you don't know what vilification means....but ignorance is a very very poor excuse...

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus commented Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 11:51pm

You don't get to decide whether other people's racism, systemic racism in our society, affects you. It just does. And if the only negative effects you notice are when people with less racial privilege than you point out how it's hurting them? Consider yourself damn lucky. You have two choices: be complicit or take a stand against it.

if you are not part of the solution ....you are the problem !

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo commented Saturday, 1 Aug 2015 at 6:58am

Brutus, im well aware of the meaning of vilification

My use of the caste word is racist ? Really ........you cant be serious

Brutus you would class me as a racist by looking in my shopping trolley and seeing my favorite brand of cheese.

Latest News

'LA Bob' drowns at Avalon Beach

Stu Nettle

Tragedy at Little Avalon this morning.

Watch: Darmaputra Tonjo around Bali

Stu Nettle

Island style from one of Bali's best surfers.

Watch: Happily Stoked // Indonesia

Stu Nettle

A year's worth of barrels squeezed into a two-week boat trip compressed into a 13-minute film.

Medina wins Teahupoo, moves into second place on the rankings

Gabs grabs a last-minute barrel to beat Owen and breathe down Filipe's neck.

John Witzig exhibition at Bondi

Stu Nettle

Images from a golden age.

Quarter-finalists decided at tiny Teahupoo

Even Turpel couldn't talk it up.

Photos: The Shieldsy Chronicles - Telo Islands

Stu Nettle

Looking back on July in the Telo Islands.

Watch: Parko's last lap at Teahupoo

Stu Nettle

Parko reflects on scary times and rip offs at the end of the road: "They're just judges, they got excited and weren't sure what to do....Mick will vouch for that."

Latest Comments