The new golden age of fear

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 2 May 2014 at 8:53am

9/11 did many things.... But the most insidious side effect it has had, is it opened the doors to a rebirth of a dark ages tactic to control the masses.... Welcome to the new golden age of fear.....
As I write this, pensioners, workers, the unemployed, the sick, the frail, those with mortgages are all shaking in their boots.... Thanks to 4 words - "National Commission of Audit"....
A list of measures so harsh, that if all were implemented, it would throw Australia into a recession ( yet the audit was done to help improve living standards).... a classic paradox....
But don't worry... It's all bullshit.... It's a farce..... It was done do scare the pants off everyone, to "soften you up"..... When the budget is announced, and most of these measures are not implemented, everyone will sigh. Everyone will take the small amount of broken promises on the chin..... They will cop a $6 medicare payment, cos' at least it wasn't the $15 as recommended by the audit.....
Think back before 9/11.... Yeah, it's a long time.... Fear tactics were occasionally used, but not to the extent of today... It was generally a conservative tactic..... Reds under the bed..... Port Arthur( just as many gun deaths even after Howards buy back scheme - look at inner sydney), gst....... y2k.....
Now look post 9/11 - every muslim is a terrorist, cronulla, bird flu, sars, mad cow, (shoulda got shares in Rumsfelds big pharma scheme!!), boat people, Saddam, gfc, and now audits and an economic armageddon about to wipe us all of the earth....
Even the left, once the sturdy working class stodgy builders and spenders of society have joined the fray, with their "inconvenient truth" scaring little kids, global warming/cooling /climate changing. Heck, they even joined in on the conservatives demonization of boat people, and forced easy targets like single mums and smokers to feel like second class citizens. Was the revenue worth it? You betcha!!!!
And because most of the flock will always be followers, will always pick up the rocks and start stoning the heretic because everyone else is doing it, I hold little hope for the future..... A "movement" can always be infiltrated. A martyr can always be demonized by an ever shrinking and bias media.....
Welcome to the new golden age of fear.......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 7:18pm

So many options of freedom.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 7:18pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

Blowin. In the 80s/90s, I could work 3 -4 days a week, and have more than enough money to pay for everything, and have a long weekend every week.... Surfed my brains out..... Could get pissed at the pub AND light a durry without being called a criminal.... No offense to swellnet, but back then , only blokes like myself who put a bit of time into weather would know "where and when"..... There was no Kardashians, no twitter, no dna testing, no gangnam style, No justin beiber..... Just beach houses to rent for $120pw, cartons of beer for $20, ciggys for $10, Hunters and collectors, Pearl jam, Nirvana, The pixies.......
Glad you are happy, Blowin, and perhaps I am a whinger and someone deeply immersed in political philosophy... But today sux, and I don't like where this country is going. Cheers, dude.

Fuck me SD. I around your age and you're saying the same things my grandpa said to me when I was a boy. The only difference is the era, the name of the bands and the price of beer and durries. :)

Well when I was a boy, fitzy, we'd work 28 hours a day.... Use our bare hands to hammer nails..... I remember taping me' arm back on when this bludger (he'd only work 20 hours - fuckn commie bastard) dropped a chainsaw on me...... Ir was ok, though, a bit of araldite and some spitn shit.... And young people these days complain when they get an incurable disease.... Softcocks.... :p

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 8:42pm

Gidday blowey, camping is illegal here now, except if you pay, then for short term only. The herbal option is well trodden (although footprintless), and a well advanced one for many all over the country... a relaxing life of outrunning choppers. And then of course, 'what did ya do today dad?'

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 8:51pm

Perhaps goproing setting themselves on fire, whilst juggling tiger snakes and para-sailing off of gold coast sky scrapers is the best way to make it as an advanced, civilised kid. Released in sepia tone options of course.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 9:31pm

Blowin.... Whatever meds you are taking, can I have some????? :) (just jokes mate)...
I tried the turquoise lagoon, But having to leave my country always put a foul taste in my mouth.... Or perhaps it was the dodgy fish.... And some locals with different religious beliefs caused me grief..... Then I got malaria... And my insurance had elapsed so I was fucked...
Tried selling produce at the market in NNSW too.... Couldn't afford the fees and got dobbed into the tax dep.
So I moved south and "cultivated"..... But the local woodchopping types called crimestoppers. It was ok though. Those six months "inside" guaranteed" me a feed, and my cellmate "pigdog" was a great kisser....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 9:44pm

Torquoise lagoon is in Oz , Sheepy. NW WA for Goofyfoot if he's keen.

No meds as such mate. Just tequila.

Think I'm ready for another matter of fact.

Just hoping those occasionally oppressive Tassie grey skies and the full moon aren't getting under that thick sheepdog skin.

Devastated about the diminishing free camping Uplift. Still plenty of room to move out there though.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 10:51am

Blowin, try your theory, mate..... I'm tellin ya' harder than you think... In the 70s, there was more batering, hippys could have kids in communes playing in mud.... Now DOCs would be called..... Oz population was 13 mill'..... Dirt roads and stretches of coast with moderate weather (NNSW) untouched.... Try growing a "market garden" on the edge of the desert..... That's why the dropouts all flocked to NNSW where subtropical climes allowed them to live/grow etc.....

It'd be a good experiment Blowin.
Let me know how you go.... ps There's heaps of bush just south of me down past Southport.... Huge empty waves..... Bit of snow this time of year though..... Rampant mozzies and tiger snakes in summer.... Start choppin' that firewood, blowin ;)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 11:21am

Sheepy, not meant to be taken too literally, although I have lived most of these suggestions in one form or another since the Sydney Olympics.

As for the kids running around n the mud, still happens, no DOCS. The Durant and Caldwell kids at the Bluff would have to be happiest kids getting around I reckon.

Never said it would be hassle free , nothing in life is. Especially anything worth doing.

You've just got to think outside the box mate. Imagine the hardships the Aborigines experienced living the existence that some people idealise as utopian.

A lot of N NSW is still untouched. Lived in a banana packing shed without power that myself and my lady prettied up for over a year, doing the full MOTE lifestyle. Great time of my life. Surfed On my own or with few people most days. Often GOOD waves. This was in the last decade.

Actually Sheepy, do take it literally, cause that is how it still is and can be if you choose.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 11:44am

Cheers, blowin... I suppose we have strayed a little off my original post, but in some ways our banter is quite relevant.... The golden age of fear....... I think many folk would be too fearful to take your suggestion... A fear of "missing out".... a fear of "not planning for the future"..... A fear of "what would people say"..... A fear of the unknown...... A fear of non consumption and cyberspace withdrawal..... These aspects were around in the 70s ( bar cyberspace), but not to the extent of this modern .com twitter "today/sunrise current affair" judgemental world we now live in.....
So I think my "fear point" is validated in the fact that hardly anyone would dare take your suggestion.....
And with Abbott not allowing young folk the dole for six months, they would be foolhardy to quit a job whilst trying to save a 1/4 mill for an overpriced block of land near Yamba.....
I'm ok, blowin.... own a house..... Got enough to live a modest life. But I do feel for the youngns'......

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 11:59am

If you think the car industry is rooted in this country -google this;
Vince lewis unsold cars

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 12:27pm

I agree with your original point that we live in an age of fear , but think it's always been the case . The only time the media and pollies don't manufacture fear is when the fear is a reality ie wartime.

It's up to you to not look at the newspaper or turn off Sunrise and ignore the Chicken Littles of this world.

Totally agree with you regarding the price of housing, that's an unquestionable reality.

I do believe though that ,like the rest of the world ,there will be a correction in prices particularly evident in those rural parts of the Oz that have nothing except open spaces and waves to offer.

Bit of a speculator driven Ponzi situation occurring in my eyes. For better or worse a few interest rate rises in conjunction with some other variables will sort that out.

So don't worry about the kids, they will be fine. Maybe give a thought for those amongst us struggling with any debt they already possess.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 12:19pm
udo wrote:

If you think the car industry is rooted in this country -google this;
Vince lewis unsold cars

Thats a pretty interesting read http://www.vincelewis.net/unsoldcars.html

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 12:25pm

Mate I stopped watchin the privatised propaganda ages ago..... And yes, fear has always been used by the powers that be, but not to the extent of the post 9/11 age..... The electronic era not only helps us, it hinders as well.... Yin and yang my learned friend ;)

I carried debt up until my late 30s..... hard slog, but not impossible to live with...... However these days, geez....... That's what I'm saying about "dropping out". It's a bit like Abbotts budget - great in theory, but reality is a different beast.....
I'm might come across 1/2 glass empty, blowin, but all I really want is those 40years or younger to start demanding honesty and transparency from government..... Don't worry if the murdoch cameras and ch9 paint you as "thugs"..... Stand up PEACEFULLY and INTELLIGENTLY, and be counted... Or god knows what they will be living like in the future........ Yet I suppose if one is born into blindness, one can never miss colours....
Cheers, mate....

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 2:05pm

Udo and indo,just had a look at the vince lewis unsold car thingy,thats the modern world for ya.Pretty fuked up eh.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 2:35pm

Resources eh....each one of those cars has a tank of fuel, 5 new tyres, 4-6 litres of new oil in every sump 4 litres of toxic paint on every car body etc etc in that first car storage pic alone theres enough plastic coated wiring used to go the moon and back ?
Then theres the batteries and the EVIL catalytic convertors on every exhaust system that's required to meet some countries strict emission standards.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 18 May 2014 at 6:28pm

Pretty crazy stuff Udo, Theres a spot like that south of Brissy airport, which always made me wonder cause the space just kept growing.
Maybe we might get one with a packet of cornflakes, but hopefully not a drivers license to match...?

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Monday, 19 May 2014 at 8:35am

I don't necessarily buy the car story. I would suggest that its a stockpile of cars from a slowing industry. A latency of response from the car manufacturers to slow production when demand has halted suddenly.
Why any company would manufacture cars to keep their doors open even though they can't sell them is rediculous. Companies are much more cuthroat than that. I worked for a machinery dealer for several years during this recession and believe me if they want to cut jobs to save the revenues they will. The Australian car manufacturing industry is a good example. They just had to pull-up stumps and close, Government wouldn't continue to assist them in the name of a few thousand jobs.

To put it into perspective, if you order a new car with custom factory spec, you are looking at 6-12 months these days to wait for the factory shipment. So all the cars piling up may have been ordered 6 months before the demand stopped. The plants would have filled up first, then they would have asked the international dealers to take the stock to share the burden of the inventory, so the dealers took them on and bought yards to store them at.

What is amazing though is that it shows how many cars are made every day, and if the demand stops all of a sudden it puts into perspective how huge-a-quantity we consume.

mcbain's picture
mcbain's picture
mcbain Monday, 19 May 2014 at 11:36am
stunet wrote:

Have any of you fine folk read 'Capital in the 21st Century' yet? Been told it's a great book but slightly dubious of the recommender's credentials. Sounds like it may be a book for its time.

Anyone..?

Their creds may be dubious but their recommendation isn't.
I havent read it, but read plenty of reviews/media on it and it is definitely on my list. A brief interview:

'boo has probably read it, he knows everything (almost).
The premise make a lot of sense to me (untrained economist) - ie. - that the only way for rate of return on capital (r) to stay above the general rate of growth (g) is increasing inequality (which is bad - for poor...and rich - in the end - pitchforks anyone?).
Picketty has ideas on how to fix as well - which is good.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 19 May 2014 at 11:48am

mcbain wrote:
stunet wrote:

Have any of you fine folk read 'Capital in the 21st Century' yet? Been told it's a great book but slightly dubious of the recommender's credentials. Sounds like it may be a book for its time.

Anyone..?

Their creds may be dubious but their recommendation isn't. I havent read it, but read plenty of reviews/media on it and it is definitely on my list. A brief interview:

'boo has probably read it, he knows everything (almost). The premise make a lot of sense to me (untrained economist) - ie. - that the only way for rate of return on capital (r) to stay above the general rate of growth (g) is increasing inequality (which is bad - for poor...and rich - in the end - pitchforks anyone?). Picketty has ideas on how to fix as well - which is good.

Cheers McBain. Just after I posted the question I went and ordered it. Since then it seems to be popping up everywhere. Last week's Economist had a review and a stand alone story on Piketty, while today The Conversation has an article on it. 

mcbain's picture
mcbain's picture
mcbain Monday, 19 May 2014 at 11:57am

your review?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 19 May 2014 at 2:15pm

mcbain wrote:

your review?

Coming. Might just be the first review of neo-Marxism to appear on a surfing website.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 9:45am
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 6:10pm

Where's Uncle Travis when you need him?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 9:33am

vic berger's videos are the best!

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 1:44pm

Haha! That's some crazy shit!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 20 Apr 2018 at 9:28pm

Remember the FEAR about Capetown?? Water Armageddon??? Of course the media wont do a follow up. But here's the current situation.
"Capetonians rejoiced when the rain fell in the drought-stricken city today. Up to 20mm was expected in the crucial mountain catchment areas like Steenbras."

http://www.capetownetc.com/news/and-then-the-rain-fell/

More great rain expected for Capetown region on the 23rd, AND the 26th.

But hey...... It doesn't fit the narrative. And who THA FUCK wants a good news story anyway.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 21 Apr 2018 at 8:07am

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 21 Apr 2018 at 1:12am

Quint's picture
Quint's picture
Quint Wednesday, 4 Jul 2018 at 7:20am

The trauma based mind control that 9-11 etc was, is mentioned in the Protocols of Zion.

https://www.savethemales.ca/000205.html

https://www.amazon.com/Falsification-History-Our-Distorted-Reality/dp/12...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 29 Jun 2018 at 7:35am

Which was revealed as a hoax in 1921.

Quint's picture
Quint's picture
Quint Sunday, 22 Jul 2018 at 8:20am

More on the end of the age or whatever you wanna call it.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 24 Jul 2018 at 8:20pm

This was interesting: