The new golden age of fear

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 2 May 2014 at 8:53am

9/11 did many things.... But the most insidious side effect it has had, is it opened the doors to a rebirth of a dark ages tactic to control the masses.... Welcome to the new golden age of fear.....
As I write this, pensioners, workers, the unemployed, the sick, the frail, those with mortgages are all shaking in their boots.... Thanks to 4 words - "National Commission of Audit"....
A list of measures so harsh, that if all were implemented, it would throw Australia into a recession ( yet the audit was done to help improve living standards).... a classic paradox....
But don't worry... It's all bullshit.... It's a farce..... It was done do scare the pants off everyone, to "soften you up"..... When the budget is announced, and most of these measures are not implemented, everyone will sigh. Everyone will take the small amount of broken promises on the chin..... They will cop a $6 medicare payment, cos' at least it wasn't the $15 as recommended by the audit.....
Think back before 9/11.... Yeah, it's a long time.... Fear tactics were occasionally used, but not to the extent of today... It was generally a conservative tactic..... Reds under the bed..... Port Arthur( just as many gun deaths even after Howards buy back scheme - look at inner sydney), gst....... y2k.....
Now look post 9/11 - every muslim is a terrorist, cronulla, bird flu, sars, mad cow, (shoulda got shares in Rumsfelds big pharma scheme!!), boat people, Saddam, gfc, and now audits and an economic armageddon about to wipe us all of the earth....
Even the left, once the sturdy working class stodgy builders and spenders of society have joined the fray, with their "inconvenient truth" scaring little kids, global warming/cooling /climate changing. Heck, they even joined in on the conservatives demonization of boat people, and forced easy targets like single mums and smokers to feel like second class citizens. Was the revenue worth it? You betcha!!!!
And because most of the flock will always be followers, will always pick up the rocks and start stoning the heretic because everyone else is doing it, I hold little hope for the future..... A "movement" can always be infiltrated. A martyr can always be demonized by an ever shrinking and bias media.....
Welcome to the new golden age of fear.......

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 6 May 2014 at 10:38pm

'Plus, fuck me, when are we ever gonna see another bloke dance like that!'

Those in the knose are working on the required chemicals now.

memlasurf's picture
memlasurf's picture
memlasurf Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 10:10am

"National Commission of Audit"....
Just heard they went over their budget by 2.5 times (quoted 1 mill went to 2.5). So we have the suits spending up big but telling us we are going to loose. Don't you just love politics.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 12:12pm

Memla - do you have a link to that, re' 2.5?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 12:41pm
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 1:07pm

Those extended lunches in the best restaurants aren't cheap! Then there is the wine. Grange anyone?
But if you want to employ the best minds you have to renumerate them in the manner to which they're accustomed.

Prime Minister Abbott's Commission of Audit report is a bloody disaster for ordinary Australians. And no wonder given that, according to SMH Economics Editor Ross Gittins, that it was "effectively handed over to one business lobby group ... composed of the most highly paid chief executives in the country."

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 1:34pm

"But if you want to employ the best minds you have to renumerate them in the manner to which they're accustomed."
That goes with anything, Yorko.... Not just minds, but manual skills too.... Goods.... Food... If you want the best, you'll pay more.... I have no problem with that.... I have no problem with people getting rich either.... I despise the Australian tall poppy syndrome....
My main beef with this is, here is a bunch of people called "the commision of audit", which includes former coalition minister Vandstone who has no credentials in economics, and headed by a major Liberal donor...... They bring down a report saying we all have to tighten our belts..... They were given a budget of 1 million dollars to do the report...... But the budget blows out to 2.5 million Tighten our belts, yet they can't stay within budget???? It wasn't a 10% blowout, or even 20%..... A 150% blowout.... Imagine if it was a scheme in the billions of dollars?

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 1:48pm

Sheepdog, read a book called Confessions of an Economic Hit man by John Perkins and all will become clear.

Edit: Authors name.

memlasurf's picture
memlasurf's picture
memlasurf Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 2:40pm

Tripper that looks a goodun will get it. Have you seen the Untold History of the US which is a cracker and Noam Chomsky The Way the World Works? Both well and truly worth the price of admission.

trippergreenfeet Wednesday, 7 May 2014 at 2:50pm
memlasurf wrote:

Tripper that looks a goodun will get it. Have you seen the Untold History of the US which is a cracker and Noam Chomsky The Way the World Works? Both well and truly worth the price of admission.

Chomsky yes, Untold History no...something else to get my teeth into.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Thursday, 8 May 2014 at 8:43pm
trippergreenfeet wrote:
memlasurf wrote:

Chomsky yes, Untold History no...something else to get my teeth into.

Capital in the Twenty-First century by Thomas Piketty is also worth a read, interesting theories on the distribution of wealth.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 9 May 2014 at 9:50am

Cheers, tripper re' book.... And yorkes, about those old papers.... This is the "new" golden age... Those time you refer to surely was the golden age.... With the advent of technology, in the late 40s , 50s, and early 60s, the peddlers of fear jumped for joy as they found a very powerful way to spread their propaganda... Not only did better printing techniques help, but a little moving picture device in every loungeroom enabled them to put a "red under your bed"....... It took a while for fair minded folk, heretics, and social philosophers to make that same technology work for "the people".... War footage of vietnam was a turning point.... The pendulum swung back to a more liberal world ( in the west anyway)...
We had another small pulse of fear politics during the Reagan admin', but thankfully the sax man came along..
But back to the point.... The internet.... media saturation..... mobile phones, cct etc....a very similar situation to the late 40s re' technology...... Only over the past few years are the "people" catching up to the use of subliminal tactics, as they did in the 60s.... Let's hope the pendulum swings once again, and the new golden age will be relegated, for a decade or two anyway....

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 9 May 2014 at 1:28pm

Fear mongering, propaganda and nationalism played a big part in the great wars of the first half of the 20th century on both sides. Young men swallowed the message and signed up in their hundreds of thousands to defend their countries honour.

The political establishment in the west has shifted focus to a new enemy since 9/11 believing the enemy of the state is within, be it home grown terrorists', undesirable races and religions, even the poor!
It doesn't seem to be that way in countries like Russia and China (our biggest potential threats) where nationalism still reigns.

I wonder if a great conflict were to occur again whether our population of young people who will grow up being screwed over by our governments may not be so receptive to sign up to fight future wars?
The Iraq war 'weapons of mass destruction' lie has opened many young people's eyes up to the manipulative spin our governments use to further their political and economic agenda's.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 9 May 2014 at 3:25pm

Yorko.... The golden age of fear isn't just about war..... It has manifested itself in many facets of society, both sides of politics.... How about this;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/parent-at-doncaster-gardens-prim...
The "fear factor" has society looking at every man as a pedo'..... Mums driving their kids 3 minutes to school in an urban 4wd.... More kids are getting hit by cars than molested.... We all used to ride our bike to school..... No "obesity epidemic"
Playgrounds are now empty.... Men are banned from sitting next to kids on planes..... Fuck, I'm glad I'm not a child now, thinking every bloke is a kiddy tickler.... except ones own dad of course, even though most pedo's are family members and not strangers...... Still a tiny proportion of the male population...
That was one of the last straws on the sunny coast, yorko.... My missus came down to the beach during xmas holidays to get some photos of me and me mate Rod (rip buddy - miss ya) surfing... it was small, but me mate lived up at kadanga, and only came down surfing once a month....
Anyway, we're out in the coolum shorey, and me missus is standing on the beach with camera in hand, when I noticed this bloke and his chick waving their arms around and physically getting in my lady's face... We jumped out of the surf..... Long story short - accusing my wife of taking photos of children in the surf..... My wife was in tears..... Mate, I nearly fuckn lost it at these touro's..... They got the biggest "fuck off back to where you came" from ever!! Told them something like "for them to even take their minds "there" shows who the perverted ones really are"...

As a social experiment, I dare anyone here to simply sit on a crowded beach with a camera taking photos of the surf..... You'll be blown away with how fear ridden everyone is.....

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 9 May 2014 at 4:43pm

That's a horrible thing to be accused of Sheepy. A mate of mine has been going through a messy breakup and divorce and his ex- misses has accused him of molesting his two kids. He hasn't seen them now in over two years!
The thing is there is no way for him to defend himself. Mud like that just sticks and will never come off! And no-one can ever really be sure whether he is just the victim of a vindictive ex-wife or not?
I'm quite happy for child abusers to be shot but how do you really know unless it's one of those cases where DNA or other evidence is found?
Meanwhile to polititions and the media it's a useful tool to use to drum up fear and vigilantism in the community!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 9 May 2014 at 5:18pm

Exactly, yorko.... This "manfear" has to stop..... Blokes are now afraid to become primary school teachers... My year 4 and year 6 teachers were two of my favorites - both men...... The hard left is responsible for "manfear"..... Feminism gone mad.....
We still lived on the sunny coast for a couple of years after that.... There were one or two more unrelated "straws" ( workwise - had to work six days a week just to make ends meet, the cost of living got beyond a joke etc ).
But incidents like that one, and a host of other stuff ( the influx of lycra bike riders :) , the cafe latte set, the paddle boarders, the indscriminate destruction/ "progress") convinced us that society sux...
You and I are lucky.... Far from the madding crowd..... I could never live in the swill again....

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Friday, 9 May 2014 at 7:08pm

Unfortunately these sick rock spiders have changed the way we all have to act. No cameras at swimming pools etc.
I wish we could pour massive funding into research finding the gene which makes them tick then we could dong em at birth!

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Friday, 9 May 2014 at 7:10pm

Do they charge an exact 5 bucks for a latte?
Wondering where the licra brigade keep their change

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 9 May 2014 at 8:29pm

Roger, the person that finds the solution to that will be "bigger than jesus"..... Dunno about dongn' babies on the head though.....
5 bucks for a latte??????? What decade are you living in? ;)
As far as where they keep their change..... ummm, I don't wanna know lol

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Friday, 9 May 2014 at 11:11pm

I just think it has to be in there already. Surely you cannot evolve into a person that does that sort of stuff.
Lots of us have seen the results of abused friends and families. Donging them is odviously a bit out there but early diagnosis and funding for this could help surely to identify them and then hopefully the rest of us could feel a bit safer about our kids enjoying the same freedoms as we did as kids.
But if proven beyond a reasonable doubt the family should be able to do whatever they want with the rock spider. No questions asked

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 10 May 2014 at 8:41am

Maybe you should ask the churches if you can evolve "that sort of thing" they seem to do a good job at fostering it.

While you are there roger, take one of those little blue proton pills and give them a good roger ramjetting and see how they like it.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 10 May 2014 at 9:17am

Hmmm. Fight or flight.... Gday Sypkan.... You about today?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 10 May 2014 at 12:18pm

I'm on and off SD, you stirred me with your pedo paranoia, I'm sure other countries aren't as paranoud as us, I'd like to know if the incidence is higher in Australia, because the paranoia is, and I blame the lefty feminists too, so annoying seeing our fat little kids being chauffeured to schools in thirsty 4wds, driven by mothers concerned about climate change and childhood obesity, duh! I blame the feminists for them getting fat in the first place, with their 'its ok to be fat its just you,' bullshit.

I need to stop picking on the left, but they peddle the fear too

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 10 May 2014 at 6:07pm

Cheers, Sypkan. You're one of the most balanced and moderate bloggers here... I'd say what this shows is how some topics can cause even the most grounded to be led by primal instinct.... Whether it be fear, or hatred, anger, etc...
I'm not paranoid about "pedos", SK.... What I am is upset that 99% of us guys are loving caring folk to our family and friends, yet a majority of society allows a minute % of sickos to tarnish "all men" to the point that kids of today can't live the lives we led......Playing street cricket till the lights came on, or kicking the footy ( remember stubbing you toe on the road when kicking? Ya mates laughing as you were holding back the tears - "give us a look! give us a look!!!!" - minced big toe hehehe)..

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 10 May 2014 at 11:04pm

I've never ever been interested in politics, but the last year reading some of these political threads from you guys on SN has me even more baffled, to say the least :)
This heading grabs me of late, as working this swing with young blokes half my age who have only achieved about 100 hrs on the ropes. They know everything, they don't want to learn the safe, right way, but when they fuck up they can not take it on the chin and admit they have fucked up. I don't give a rats arse at all, I just want to teach the safe, right way so my fellow workers can go home to their loved ones the same way as they came to work.
I feel that "The new golden age of fear" these days are people's ego's, especially the young, there is nothing wrong with making mistakes or falling over, it's the ones that learn from mistakes and get back up that achieve.
Sorry if this does not have much to do with politics but maybe it does...! Maybe some of these politicians should lose their ego's a little, take a step back and look outside the square.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 8:14am

Wellymon, I could say its an education system where self esteem is evenly distributed rather than earnt from achievement through a process of making mistakes and learning to do things properly. An education system that tells everyone theyre special, super special even, despite achieving nothing, a system that doesn't mark mistakes in case it upsets the little divas, a system that is good at producing potential little rockstars with a sense of entitlement, who get depressed when the career doesn't work out yet their egos are so inflared they struggle taking on a normal job, I could say that, but I won't because I would be bagging the left.......again.

SD yeh I know your not paranoid, its the paranoia about pedos that has been peddled that stops kids walking to school, going out on ya bike at 8am and not returning until dark, playing in the street, and some kids literally having nothing to do with men, for their whole childhood. The worst thing iis the snowball effect, as more parents stop their kids, less kids turn up, making playgrounds and streets seem eery, how the fuck does a playground feel eery? It's like being in a steven king movie, so sad what oz society is becoming

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 12:31pm

[img][/img]

dellabeach's picture
dellabeach's picture
dellabeach Sunday, 11 May 2014 at 12:33pm

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 12 May 2014 at 10:14am

Sypkan... I swear to god that Andrew Bolt must read swellnet....

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/commen...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 12 May 2014 at 11:44am

Oh no, now I've gone too far SD, you are associating me with Andrew Bolt, whats he says is true though, I'm kinda in the school system, and its sister town. I'm not against feminism, it has blazed a necessary trail, but when you get too many sisters running the show, the sisters get a bit excited, just like too many footy jocks in one place is usually not a good thing.

I have got to say, Abbott is growing on me, increasing the price of fuel, and a rich person tax sounds good, to me. Unfortunatly, like howard, it is overseas relations that are so embarrassing and even dangerous that they cancel any good they can do. Tony may well have stopped the boats but it came with a lot uneasiness in indonesia, I hope it proves worth the collateral damage.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 16 May 2014 at 10:34am

Yorkes; Bort Shiltern, I mean Bilge Shunter, I mean Blurt Shortle, I mean Bill Shorten did a pretty fair job last night.... I'm warming to the guy....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 16 May 2014 at 10:45am

Have any of you fine folk read 'Capital in the 21st Century' yet? Been told it's a great book but slightly dubious of the recommender's credentials. Sounds like it may be a book for its time.

Anyone..?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 16 May 2014 at 12:02pm
dellabeach wrote:

[img][/img]

I'd prefer Rolf to look after my brood, great wobble entertainment whilst paint a mural on the wall standing on all 3 legs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 12:56am

Personally I believe we are living in a golden age in Oz that has extended since the last Australian got shipped off to war against their will. Of course the media and pollies are peddling bad news - it's been their MO since the dawn of time.

Let's face it , we are golden gods walking the Earth at the moment. Just got to appreciate the moment.

As an aside - Why do all peadophiles have beards and glasses ? What is it about that look that kids find so damn sexy ? Jokes people , just jokes.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 16 May 2014 at 11:31pm

Golden age, Blowin? Glad you think so... I think the 80s/ early 90s were the go....... Thrusters, less crowds, cheap housing, simple life.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 16 May 2014 at 11:37pm

Sheepy, I reckon we peaked in the 70's myself, but the here and now has got to be a close second for best quality of life for the man on the street in modern times ( n.b. -urbanised man ... Give me convenience or give me death ). I'm sure it was great for the Blackfellas walking Oz pre Cook, but the idea of dying from a broken leg does not float my boat that hard.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 9:10am

Blowin. In the 80s/90s, I could work 3 -4 days a week, and have more than enough money to pay for everything, and have a long weekend every week.... Surfed my brains out..... Could get pissed at the pub AND light a durry without being called a criminal.... No offense to swellnet, but back then , only blokes like myself who put a bit of time into weather would know "where and when"..... There was no Kardashians, no twitter, no dna testing, no gangnam style, No justin beiber..... Just beach houses to rent for $120pw, cartons of beer for $20, ciggys for $10, Hunters and collectors, Pearl jam, Nirvana, The pixies.......
Glad you are happy, Blowin, and perhaps I am a whinger and someone deeply immersed in political philosophy... But today sux, and I don't like where this country is going. Cheers, dude.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 11:41am

Its South Park and the Simpsons all rolled into one. And dads, Banno's Army. All the dimwitted gumby's, our mighty leaders, screeching about sharing the load got free degrees. Free everything. They still get free pissups at will, at their respective lodges. When I left school, recruiters would visit all schools offering a range of jobs. People retired much younger. Elliston had an ETSA Depot, Highways Department Depot, and SA Water Depot, plus large council. Plenty of service, plus employment and flow through benefit all round in town.

That wasn't sustainable, because the oceans were freezing over. Now people from Elliston contact someone in India, who contacts someone in Brisbane, who contacts someone in the Philippines, who contacts someone in Adelaide, who contacts someone in Wudinna, who rings the person in Elliston, to get their water back on. Brilliant, saves money, plus resources. A stroke of genius. Yet, soon kids will have to enter the workforce at 12, and work until they are 93, because 'its' unsustainable. 'It' must be fixed. Penalties will apply to those that croak younger. They will be brought back to life at a later stage, and be put back to work an extra 25 years... probably increasing on an indexed system, linked to fiscal fiscicalities. Post monetory economics. Thank God we have Gold, God's mate, to keep things in check. 'It' must be stopped.

The busted leg. Triviality next to ballooning cancer, diabetes, strokes, heart attacks, obesity, depression, suicides, pedophilia. Anti flu injections. Plus we need more missiles to arm the jets. Banno's army.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 12:24pm

The old saying is "It could be worse" and we still are the lucky country But its not as lucky as it should be now ,so much potential and we had it all so why is it sliding down hill?Too many do gooders and corrupt pollies and it was always we need more people to pay more taxes ,what a crock of shit.We didnt have many people back when i was growing up and things were way cheaper and life was easy compared to today.Feel for the kids growing up cause there dreams are going to be hard to realize as in owing a house etc.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 1:15pm

hehehe... I can picture people scraping food out of bins in 10 years time saying "yeah but we still are the lucky country..... It's gone simba..... Gone..... It used to be lucky for all.... Now it is lucky for a select few....

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 2:20pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Blowin. In the 80s/90s, I could work 3 -4 days a week, and have more than enough money to pay for everything, and have a long weekend every week.... Surfed my brains out..... Could get pissed at the pub AND light a durry without being called a criminal.... No offense to swellnet, but back then , only blokes like myself who put a bit of time into weather would know "where and when"..... There was no Kardashians, no twitter, no dna testing, no gangnam style, No justin beiber..... Just beach houses to rent for $120pw, cartons of beer for $20, ciggys for $10, Hunters and collectors, Pearl jam, Nirvana, The pixies.......
Glad you are happy, Blowin, and perhaps I am a whinger and someone deeply immersed in political philosophy... But today sux, and I don't like where this country is going. Cheers, dude.

Fuck me SD. I around your age and you're saying the same things my grandpa said to me when I was a boy. The only difference is the era, the name of the bands and the price of beer and durries. :)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 3:53pm

I'm a little younger than you guys, but ive got to agree....the way i see yes we were the lucky country and we still are a lot more lucky than many but its changing fast.

If we look back on things i think where we really went wrong is when housing prices started sky rocketing too fast, the subject of why is a big one and has many factors, but the factors the government could of controlled should have been controlled much better and it should currently be controlled better, ive said it before but the fact you don't need to be a even a resident of Australia let alone a citizen is crazy, then there is the tax breaks for negative gearing.

Housing /shelter should be a right like food and water, not an investment or way to make money, sure there will always be these aspects but it shouldn't be encouraged by the government.

I think the property boom has had a number of effects.

Create a much wider gap between the haves and have nots, if you got in before the boom, you either made money or only have relatively small mortgage and if you didn't then your going to have to work twice as hard and twice as long.

For surfers the sea change effect enhanced this, making you either very asset rich or very hard to be able live as close to the beach as possible and still have a balanced life between work and play.

Its also changed our coastal areas, which has effected our lifestyles.

And who wins...obviously the banks who seem to almost control the government , IMO i think it has also favoured the government, they don't want us to pay off our house to young because we will work less or retire early, if we work less they get less tax revenue and if people start retiring early again less tax and it puts a degree of pressure on them to provide pensions which as we have seen recently they don't really want us to have.

And BTW im not entirely taking out of bitterness as i actually am lucky to have a house (not big) 10 minutes walk from good beachies and still within an hour and a half or so of Melbourne.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 4:09pm

Any one know how many billions ? of dollars we give away in aid.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 4:29pm

We can all whinge like bitches, politics will never change, we all live in an Australian government which creates this country as one of the most expensive in the world....?
Surfers Political Party (SPP) is that what we vote for...!
Sheepio, Stu, Beno, Occy, TC, Udo, ID, Fitzy, Blowin, Sykpan, Dellabeach, Brutus, Morris? he has the suit.
Who is gonna step up and become the next surfie Abbott.........
Come on Dawggie its your thread:)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 4:31pm

oh yeah I forgot Whitey...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 5:35pm

Jeez fellas, talk about purveyors of fear.

Worst comes to worst you can always camp on the blindingly white sand high tide edge of an incredible turquoise lagoon brimming with incredibly tasty tropical fish that are queuing up to jump on a hook between sessions at the barreling reef pass on the edge of said lagoon..... Rent totalling $1200 / year.

The odd trip into town for sanity and supplies in your $500 corolla then the welcome bolt back to the sanctity of your tent ( $150 ) and the soothing ambience of the camp fire when civilisation gets too hectic - usually after a few hours.

Armful of free books from the library, a box of the cheapest wine money can buy and your set.

Female companionship optional , though highly recommended.

1980 all over again. Too easy.

Not for every one, that's for sure - but still an option.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 5:33pm

And where would one find this said reef pass? Sounds interesting!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 5:58pm

Or there is the southern option...

Shack within walking distance of an amazingly azure ocean filled with tasty King George whiting swimming around smooth granite boulders in gin clear water.

Rent approaching $5000 / year set amongst towering forest.

A few hours a week at the local tavern to cover expenses.

Maybe cultivate a couple of not so legally sanctioned plants in said forest to allow you a luxury here and there ... Maybe escape to that lagoon up North if the winter blues set in !

There is a downside of course - you will often have to surf the cold, strong swells found there all alone.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 6:03pm

Gold Blowin, love it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 6:17pm

Or for those so inclined.... Go down the well established, though no less fulfilling Morning of the Earth road.

A thousand disused cow sheds that can be rented off a thousand grateful farmers along the East coast.

Grow your own veggies, shape your own boards, teach your own kids. Wear overalls purchased at vinnies.

Everyday an adventure, surfing and fishing uncrowded beaches , blessed by a benevolent Huey.

Sell some produce at the local markets, sell fish to the local take away. Swap crays for beer.

Be happy , enjoy your life.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 6:28pm

Or do the lot.... Load up the Corolla and just hit the road.

Odd jobs along the way around our amazing country. Make good coin in the desert . Surf those dreamy reefs on the offshore islands when you've pulled your pots for the day as the skipper has a kip in the lee of the break.

Pull beers for your new mates at the pub in that small coastal town everyone bypasses after a day getting pitted at the secret spots you've been shown.

Have a shot at jackerooing at that coastal sheep station that just has to have good surf....