Judging and performance vs 'fun'

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg started the topic in Sunday, 22 Sep 2013 at 11:13am

Obviously there's been a trend towards 'fun' boards in surfing in general, but in the sorta 'fun' conditions in Trestles recently, point scoring and board shapes still seem to be all about 'hi-performance'. what's going on? I've seen guys throw buckets on boards that are pretty fun, so why don't the pros go to that for the extra paddle power, speed, etc?

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Sunday, 22 Sep 2013 at 12:42pm

I'd say its because they don't need to. Your average joe needs those wider plane shapes and and flatter rockers to get away with surfing such short boards and small waves. The pro's can generate speed from anything or maybe its that they don't want to stray too far away from what they'd normally ride??

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 22 Sep 2013 at 4:11pm

I'm with you mitchvg but I would go further.

Have a rating system with board types and fin configurations e.g. thruster 1.0, keel fish 1.6, single fin 1.6, bonzer 1.4.

So is you score a 9 point wave with a thruster it would be 9 points but on a single fin or keelfish it would by 9 x 1.6 = 14.40 points.

It would make so called surfing contests way more interesting and make for more innovation in board designs instead of the same old boring 3 fin circus.

Of course none of this will happen because it really isn't a surfing contest but a marketing event.

gannet's picture
gannet's picture
gannet Tuesday, 24 Sep 2013 at 10:09am

I'd say pros don't ride fun boards for the same reason Seb Vettel dosn't drive an SUV

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 24 Sep 2013 at 10:48am

Don't get me started on Vettel that dog. Anyway, yeah, that's comp surfing aye. I guess keeping people interested is harder to score than amount of spray.
I just can't decide whether I should get a fun shape for that extra planing but less bite in the bottom turn, vs performance shape which holds more in good waves, but is less forgiving. Considering I live in Brissy, I should probably go for boards that perfom in junky wind waves

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 25 Sep 2013 at 10:04am

Id say get a formula energy style fish like an alien or Jim Banks style fish- mk4 especially..more drive than any shortboard out there. Gary Mcneil at formula has low rails though ask for your style rails as he does syd and gold coast rails,and others depending on waves you surf, volume you need etc. His rails are lower than most and surf pretty damn good.
Diff rockers, zinc for overhead to 8 foot +, az rocker for around headhigh (int) or expert surfers in bigger waves.

Jim banks has some good fishes if right dims, go well in all sorts of waves, dont go quad though go twin keel, so much drive. if your in it for turns go quad.
His twin keel mk4's will speed off the bottom with nitrous oxide even in hollow waves.
Some people, usually long term thruster/normal board surfers cant get used to them them though, they change your surf style. And can make going back hard and learning them hard. Addictive boards and worth it.
Speaking of twin keels, we dont have good fin removable fin systems yet imo for keels. And glass ins are a bitch to travel with. Keel fin boxes should be at least 6-8 inches long.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Thursday, 20 Mar 2014 at 11:24pm

Cheers guys, keeping this in mind, for when I get a fresh setup. Probably next spring