Lumix died last week, what should I replace it with?

brownie48's picture
brownie48 started the topic in Friday, 9 Oct 2015 at 5:01pm

Hey Everybody

Last week my 5 year old Lumix died while in the Maldives so I missed a some action but luckily I still had my video camera to capture most of it

I want to replace it and I played with a go pro there and liked it but I sort of like the versatility of the Lumix or similar based camera for taking around on land instead of an SLR, I don't really like phones for photos, yeah old school but that's just me

What is around nowadays and what would you recommend for some surfing with a bit of land shooting as well

I will probably get a go pro just for the fun of it as well once their rumoured gps one comes out

Thanks

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 9 Oct 2015 at 9:41pm

It's a hedfuk these days, so many options, but been playing with a fujiflim x100t lately. What I can't get over is not having an interchangeable lens and not being able to zoom on your target... All the auto functions (focus, aperture, etc) are pretty good, but for surfing shots, being able to override auto can save ya. Which ya can do with the x100t and maybe other fujifilm cameras.

Definitely go for mirrorless, not digital SLR, unless you want that "full frame" size to print off large prints. Maybe, I assume that's what full frame vs micro 4/3s, etc is for

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Saturday, 10 Oct 2015 at 12:17am

What about a olympus tg-4? Prolly top of the moderately waterproof cameras. There's a waterproof housing available to be extra sure for diving or heavy underwater action. Sure, it wont be as good as some land point n click cameras but these can take a bit of knocking about and dont get upset if they get wet. Just a thought.

brownie48's picture
brownie48's picture
brownie48 Saturday, 10 Oct 2015 at 5:47pm

Thanks I will have a look at the Fuji and the Olympus

Its pretty much just for surfing and maybe a little deeper but no deep diving stuff

Anyone got a Nikon, used to have a Nikonos IV but that was film based and a great camera

nochaser's picture
nochaser's picture
nochaser Sunday, 11 Oct 2015 at 1:36pm

Crip have you got a tg-4?

brownie48's picture
brownie48's picture
brownie48 Sunday, 11 Oct 2015 at 1:54pm

Looks like I might be leaning towards the Lumix due to the amount of bad reports of the video quality from the Olympus. While the Olympus wins on speed of focus, ruggedness, the low aperture availability the video is a poor cousin according to all the reviews and reports I read.

Also watched a couple of comparisons between the Lumix and the Olympus and it shows the issues but the Olympus looked really good apart from that

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Sunday, 11 Oct 2015 at 5:15pm

Granted this depends on the quality and features your after but am using a Nikon AW100 - Coolpix: 5 x wide optical zoom. Plenty of flexibility. Handles surf ok. Adequate res and can be tripod mounted.
I was impressed with this one after watching a few pros doing some great shots with it.
Had an Olympus - failed. To be accurate that was about five years ago.

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Sunday, 11 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm

@nochaser: no, i don't have a tg4. We had a pentax wg-3 but it died snorkelling onthe great barrier reef a few mths ago. It leaked, even tho we were meticulous about sealing the battery door.
Other than that it was great. Very good snaps, and very good in low light (better than any other compact we've had).
So now we're looking for a replacement.
And thinking of getting an underwater housing for it to be safe, for when we're doing stuff that is more than a quick splash. And you can add filters, lenses, lights etc to get fancy shots.
The tg4 comes out glowing in reviews in most areas except video. So we're still not sure what to get. All the underwater compacts have their good points and bad.

nochaser's picture
nochaser's picture
nochaser Monday, 12 Oct 2015 at 7:05am

Let us know what you choose.

I'm thinking one of these http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/29/xiaomi-yi-camera-versus-gopro-hero/
16mp full 1080p shoots 7 frames in 2 seconds and cheap $65 usd and $12 usd for waterproof housing.

brownie48's picture
brownie48's picture
brownie48 Tuesday, 13 Oct 2015 at 9:32pm

Well the choice was made for me when I got an email stating The Good Guys had 20% off on their ebay store

So when I saw they only had the Lumix I made the choice based on that

At 20% off it came in at $295, which I think is a bargain as my last one cost close to $500!

Thanks for your advice and directions all of you :)

The special lasts till the end of the week I think but if you are looking get in now as I imagine stocks wont be high

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 6:33am

yes, that's a good score and I hope you get another 5 years, ive got over 9 years from my Olympus 720, only had to get one new battery so far.

a good site to compare cams is www.snapsort.com forget their rating points, I just compare specs