Bloggers Waves

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:22am

Wellymon posted an awesome lineup shot of a windswept break somewhere east of Kiwiland a while back. That got me thinking..... Now please excuse and forgive me if somewhere deep in the bowels of swellnets forums there is a similar thread, but perhaps bloggers here could post in their old (and new) lineup photos, or shots from memorable sessions.
And please don't "photoshop" them...... Personally, I despise photoshop. It's not real..... I love the rustic charm of real photography, even it's imperfections. I like the older photo's in picture magazine too, if ya get my drift..... nothing like a rough tattooed home girl, but that's another story ;)
I'll kick it off with Coolum bays, as good as it gets, circa late 90s, and a slightly more secret break , 2012, down here in apple land, which I wont name.......
Look closely, first photo of coolum, has guy on outer wave, second photo has 3rd bay kegging off it's nut, and tassie photo also has guy sweeping bottom turm on outside bomb...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 11:04am

Another photo of tassie, same session...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 5:20pm

And here's wellymons photo.... Nice work, wellsy

http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/96181

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 6:28pm

My first ever photo uploaded.

Local spot up the road, about head high. Taken on my mobile post sesh yesterday arvo.

Snowboarded all day Saturday and surfed for four hours yesterday. Love it.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 6:30pm

Epic! What an incredible lineup. Doesn't look like Japan at all.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 6:31pm

Hang on a tick, I'll try and find a shot of it really pumping at 6ft.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 6:50pm

Sweet, zenmeister! In wax off, there's a thread called "uploading photos" - here - http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/96181

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 6:58pm

Success!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 7:07pm

Niiice..... If you don't mind me asking, zen, "roughly" what part of Japan are you hangn in? Imean, don't give your breaks away, but are we talking near Tokyo, or down south, or right up the top end?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 7:13pm

About 200 k's north of Tokyo in Ibaraki, close to the border of Fukushima. Cold water. At the moment still in 5 mm suit, boots and gloves but did manage to pull my hood down for awhile yesterday. Snow on the beach in winter, boardies for about 6 weeks if we're lucky in summer. Only two foreign surfers in my area.

If he reads this he'll probably kill me- ha ha.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 7:19pm

Cool, man.... What in gods earth inspired you to live there... Work? The waves/snow combo? A fine japanese lady? ;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 7:21pm

All of the above.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 7:53pm

Sheepdog, calling for 'no photoshopping' is a bit of misguided nostalgia. Your eye and brain is 'photoshopping' everything you see...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 8:18pm

Nice work, Zen :)... Mitch, you're right about the eyes and brain.... Hence I don't need someone to "touch up reality"..... To make a wave "more aqua" than what it was is a false memory. I've seen some recent photoshopped surf photos that almost look painted, cartoonish..... Ridiculous.
And I don't think nostalgia is misguided. One day, when we're really old, all we will have are our memories. And if people want to trick their brain with false images, whether it's surfing, or their kids school photos, or "modelling shots", that's their choice.... Good luck to them i suppose....

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 8:51pm

Since we're in the land of the rising sun... Shoulda seen the wave just outta the pic, just missed it. But you can mind surf the wall...

Tourism ads spring to mind and I wouldn't wanna see this become a wall for all the Clark Little wannabes out there. The misguided nostalgia I refer to is people setting 'back in their day' as the benchmark for untouched purity in life. Sooooooo, I agree with you now.

On a slight tangent, sometimes when the homepage is loading slowly, I catch a cropped version of the wave of the day. It looks much better because it's easier for your eye to be drawn along the lines of the wave

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 9:41pm

This one should make you happy sidwe.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:01pm
zenagain wrote:

All of the above.

you tha man!!

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:02pm

Yeah? Nah.

Show us the next one, as on when you got guillotined by the lip and pile driven into the lobster's lair.

That's the one that makes us happy.

Fucking straight hander. Bewdiful.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 24 Mar 2014 at 10:12pm

I'd tell you what happened next gimp, but sidwe wouldn't understand.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 12:37am

Well credit where credit is due.

That is a serious wave Uppity.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 5:45am

Is that you Uplift? I'm almost certain I've got a photo of Margo in a very similar position (body position) at the same wave.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 6:19am

Ha, run it Ben . Sitting in the channel taking pics, doesn't count Uppo. Now you're desperate as well as deluded.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 6:25am

Could be a coincidence, but my recollection is eerily similar. I'll try to dig it up (I have a feeling it was shot on film!).

Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 7:10am

That's not uplift enough said about it. Next.

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 9:32am

Nice wave UpLiFt.........post some more pics.........must of been hundreds taken that day ???
I really hope its you on that wave ?
Tony Harrington may have been filming that day.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 9:25am

Ooohhh dear. How embarrassing for uplift. You can fool all of the people some of the time lol... I'm surprised we haven't seen a reply along the lines of; " Ahh you swellnuts... Did I actually say it was me? You all assume, but your fatty brains were wrong yet again... tragic..... Perhaps a day in the gym will clear your pathetic little minds..... And once again, it's all about me..... Always is...... How do you all feel being wrapped around my little finger? My bitches..... You've lost control of another thread dawg...... Get a grip..." ;)

There, stairdodger.... Just lookin' out for ya' ;)

sir ambrose bea... Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 9:33am

@Winkie, are you embarrassed by your Elliston buddy ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 9:40am

Just found the photo.. it's the same picture! Definitely Margo. And not taken by Uplift either.

So as for "I'd tell you what happened next gimp, but sidwe wouldn't understand" - I'm not sure Uplift could actually tell us either! 

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 9:45am

Marglift???? Upgo????

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 9:56am

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 10:02am

Fraser, just the man to get things back on track. ps hope u dug that little ditty in tunes ;)

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 10:13am

Indulge us TB, where is it, etc?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 10:15am

Nah, I'm not going to reveal anything Mitch. 

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 10:20am

By saying that, ben, you've already given it away...... ;)

Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift's picture
Mrsuplift Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 10:21am

Good policy TB

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 10:37am

yeah uplift...that's Margo......not you and still no response to SIARGO??

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 10:54am

And just like, that in one foul swoop, any possible credibility from any story told is now destroyed....................what goes around comes around, ay uplift..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 11:14am

I've got a photo of me winning last years pipe masters if anyone wants to see it.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 11:27am

Fitzroy21 - yep, a digital record on the net forever...... EVER......EVEr..... EVer......Ever.......ever....... ( that's en echo btw) ;)

Anyway, excuse the quality of photo, very VERY old, but Big groyne Kirra, 1985.... Real Kirra..... a dozen guys out and still shoulder hoppers.....

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 11:42am

Yes you fucking idiots, its Margo.

I never once said it was me, but you dim wits, in your fervour to be the one that got lifty, half wrecked the trap. I had already hooked and landed the idiot gimp, who heartedly, boldly payed out margo as a useless geek, a wanker, and total kook, and no doubt would have had sid, if fuck'n benny could have controlled himself and his excitement at 'getting' me, and shut the fuck up. Everyone here know its Margo, the trip was in the mags, the photos and ensuing drama did all the rounds here. Any 'local' has seen the shot a million times, and marvelled at margo, as he himself did, making that drop. His description of what happened next is common knowledge, except to... the straygimp. With all his local breeding, savvy, skill, surf smarts, connections, the stray gimp has no fucking idea, and was easily hooked, as would have been sidwe, if benny just coulda shut up.

You fucking idiots! But, its still worth picturing Bruteless's slobbering and quivering excitement at the demise of 'Lifty'.

You wonder how a screeching nut like Hitler could have rounded up so many followers, but then you realise the stray 'gimp' has managed to round up surfees from all parts of the globe.

Again, very lucky sidwe, and again, you fucking idiots! But, well done gimp (and frothing followers).

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 11:59am

oh Uppo, what for art thou done .?

A tragedy of Shakespearian proportion .

... with a Stratford-Uppon- Avon explanation coming our way, no doubt.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 12:37pm

Sheepdog predicted uplifts response at 9.25am and wrote-

" Did I actually say it was me? You all assume, but your fatty brains were wrong yet again."

At 11.42am uplift wrote;
" I never once said it was me, but you dim wits, in your fervour to be the one that got lifty, half wrecked the trap."

Predicting swell for queensland is easy.... But predicting human nature is even easier, especially when folk are 1 dimensional......
The trap may be 1/2 wrecked, stair dodger.... But your paw is still in it.... Keep gnawing at it like a panicked dingo, my friend......
You see, I now don't believe that those photos you say are you on the lefthander, are you..... Mind you, who gives a fuck, right , uplift?......
You trapped yourself...... "There will be no photo tax under the government I lead".........

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 12:43pm

I happen to agree with you Sheepy.

Pretty fucked all round if you ask me. I just wanted to see shots from other contributors and not see this go the way of other threads.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 12:46pm

The gimps got plenty of side kicks. All sprung, one after the other. The evidence is all there. Not one claim by me, but, frothers, losers united!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 12:46pm

Oooh!!!! They're ganging up on me!!!!! BOO HOOO HOOO!!!!!!!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 12:47pm

Forever in writing, kooks united, deluxe! Too easy.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 1:05pm

Fair enough, thought there might've been more of a story behind it.

Back on track, nothing too amazing or exotic about this photo, but it's probably the one wave I'd love to go back to and score the most. Probably been like this recently, not sure if I'm up to the challenge though.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 1:06pm

Zenagain. You see, Uplift is like a little attention seeking brat who gets panick attacks when he's not the centre of all.... Sid started a science thread (not my cuppa tea), but nonetheless it was a serious thread. Well............ Uplift panicked and hijacked the thread to make himself the centre of attention.....
He did the same thing on my thread "underground heroes"...... A nice respectful thread chatting about hot surfers from the past, but again, Uplifts anxiety rose, because it wasn't about him, and he jumped in to derail the conversation, looking like a gherkin in the process ...
In the short time I have been here, This is now the third thread (second I have created) where Uplift has let his spoilt inner little brat on too much sugar get the better of him.... He is currently gnawing at his own paw, trying to save face.... I'm sure he has convinced himself of his victory.
James Hird and Craig Thomson are no match ;)

Anyway..... enough rewarding the child...... Here's burleigh circa 85...... Note the massive crowd...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 1:50pm

It's cool Sheepy, he's got some interesting stuff from time to time but unfortunately the good stuff is overshadowed when he posts late at night drunk.

I miss Burleigh, surfed it many many many times through the late 80' and 90's.

And Mitch, classic pic- don't forget your ear-plugs and Tetanus shots.

PS Mitch, I'm guessing that's not the Maldives?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 1:31pm

Oh no doubt he has, Zen. I enjoy some of uppys stuff.....I'm just getting under his skin like a rancid tick..... ;)
If you can dish it out, you can take it... Aye stairdodger ;)

Now you know why I moved away from Se qld, Zen....... had her in her glory days...... Now she's just an old tart with too much makeup hehehe....

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014 at 1:33pm