Cloudbreak 14th Jan onwards

eel's picture
eel started the topic in Thursday, 28 Dec 2017 at 8:42pm

Hi all,

Usually go in July but heading to fiji on the 14th Jan for 8 nights. I know it's out of season but anyone got access to some long term charts/forecasts? By my amateur reading on swellnets WAM there is a low pressure system southwest of Tassie on the 12th Jan but could be pushing swell too west....

Any gurus willing to chime in?

Cheers

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Thursday, 28 Dec 2017 at 8:42pm

bump

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 28 Dec 2017 at 9:47pm
Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 29 Dec 2017 at 6:57am

Hi Eel, that long-range link from blindboy is best for an idea this far our as are the WAMs.

The problem with this time of year is that the unstable and less predictable weather in the Coral Sea and off the Aus East Coast can mess with the long-range predictions. I'd wait another week before getting any certain idea on what we might see. Give us a reminder then.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Friday, 29 Dec 2017 at 9:49am

Cheers fellas, will do!

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Saturday, 6 Jan 2018 at 5:30pm

Hey Craig,

Now that it is a bit closwer, what are your thoughts on cloudbreak from the 14th - 22nd Jan? By my forecasts it looks small up until the 18th where the swell starts to build and looks decent through to the 21st....

Cheers

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Saturday, 6 Jan 2018 at 5:32pm

Hey Craig,

Now that it is a bit closer, what are your thoughts on cloudbreak from the 14th - 22nd Jan? By my forecasts it looks small up until the 18th where the swell starts to build and looks decent through to the 21st....

Cheers

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 8 Jan 2018 at 9:26am

Hi Eel, so the first part of your trip looks void of any major swell with a large blocking high across the Tasman Sea. 

Some very distant and very inconsistent long-range energy will hardly nudge above 2-3ft later the 15th and more so the 16th.

Later in your window though we're due to see a bit more action with a Tasman front and then follow up activity from below Tassie due to give you an initial moderate sized mid-period SW swell for the 18th/19th, followed by longer-period S/SW energy on the 21st.

Both swells look to be in the 4-5ft+ range.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Monday, 8 Jan 2018 at 12:50pm

Legend thanks. A 5'9, 5'11 and 6'2 (just in case) will do just fine.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Friday, 12 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm

Craig, Am I right in thinking the back half of next week could be bigger than first thought?