Would you pay $2,000 for a new surfboard?

indo-dreaming started the topic in Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 8:19pm

I see from tomorrow Jim banks surfboards minimum price will be $2,000.

Thoughts?

Whats the most you would pay for a new board?

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam commented Monday, 15 May 2017 at 1:40am

Yep says it here udo . 7"0 banks sounds great .

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders commented Monday, 15 May 2017 at 10:31am

Yeah Udo I paid $780 for a 7'6 Webster DS (BARGAIN), however I also just paid $1300 for a NPJ duo with fins, and I must say it is awesome - 20 surfs not a mark on it, I did really struggle with the price. These are my only new boards for 10 years, I generally get great deals on used boards, that way I can try lots for $250 to $400 each, if I don't like them they go - generally not out of the rack in 6 months onto Gumtree as obviously I am not interested. I would pay $1300 again for a NPJ in a heart beat, and sell 4 of my others to fund it.

ps. for twently years I only got boards of one local shaper, he retired and my surfing experience went through the roof, have a shaper but please try alternative designes, I have diverged a long way from what I was getting

udo commented Monday, 12 Mar 2018 at 9:08pm

Anyone know what Jims new glassing technique is ....a day longer in production and up to 5 times less likely to snap ?
jim banks surfboards insta.

And drodders ...puddle jumper Duo...ride report ?

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan commented Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 7:18am

Don't know, but it's a pretty big call to offer replacement if it breaks. Jim seems a bit all over the place the last few years. He goes from shaping boards for $800 to $2000 to not shaping at all to doing limited edition runs and now back again?

udo commented Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 7:34am

All over the place....hmm..the board was for a 'team rider' but was supposed to be a swallowtail wtf...how does an error like that happen ?

stunet commented Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 9:04am

Jim's never ending closing down sale.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan commented Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 11:28am

Seems like it. Although usually when you close down things get cheaper instead of more expensive. Like you said a while ago though Stu, someone like Jim doesn't need to apologize for the price of his boards.

Blowin commented Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 11:47am

Everything must go . Crazy high, high prices.

udo commented Friday, 11 May 2018 at 8:54am

Jims new 7'3 with nose to tail Vee and Modified Rocker- Brief engine room/rocker explanation in second pic / Insta..