Surfing North Island NZ Peak Season and Campervan Rules Help!

dylza's picture
dylza started the topic in Monday, 1 Jan 2018 at 9:37pm

Hey I would love some input on this from those who have done it - esp in peak season...
Renting a campervan out of Auckland in early Feb. I'm told they are toey with where you park them overnight.

If we plan where we head to at short notice (depending on swell conditions of course) will we have trouble finding a spot - or do we have to make an itenarary now and book in advance - which to me entirely defeats the purpose of having one.

Are they really gonna bang on your door in the middle of the night if you are in the 'wrong' spot?

Thanks!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Saturday, 13 Jan 2018 at 5:36am

Boiling Pot is that rare? So I should consider myself stupidly fortunate to have surfed it shoulder high with one friendly local, the two of us sharing waves for 1.5hr.

I'm still struggling with your other mystery right point - living on the North Island since 2001, driving all over the place, and being a right point tragic. NZ gets good, but I've never surfed anywhere as good as Lennox or JBay.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies commented Saturday, 13 Jan 2018 at 3:23pm

Whangamata is the only right hander in NZ. Good luck getting that un crowded , in fact good luck getting a wave at all . Lol

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider commented Saturday, 13 Jan 2018 at 4:26pm

Hahahahahawhanagamata
When it's on its really on but can be a long time between drinks.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog commented Saturday, 13 Jan 2018 at 10:53pm

Pooman, no...... the novelty right is up Coromandel way.... That's all I'm willing to say. lol

Sheepdog

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man commented Sunday, 14 Jan 2018 at 7:14am

Ok so it's either the inside of the Coro which can get good on a big north swell or it's the point where all the dead people are buried.....I've had that once too and yep world class but about one day every 3 years. Maybe a bit more than that but pretty hard to get it on. Am i right?

poo-man

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Monday, 15 Jan 2018 at 7:24am

Sheepdog, I've finally gotten my thick head around what place you're talking about. It's been on the list for a long time, but I never knew that it got THAT good. Excellent to hear.

There's a few other waves in the general area that look interesting, and I've got time off in April, so it could be time for a right point roadie.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog commented Monday, 15 Jan 2018 at 7:47pm

poo man.... I'm pretty sure Stu once posted a vid of the novelty right... Cyclone Pam rings a bell..

Island Bay.... Just check the map.... Any point with a set up like that is bound to get good. Needs a good swell to show its all, though.

Sheepdog

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G commented Monday, 15 Jan 2018 at 9:29pm

Gary feels like he's lurked around the novelty right before and vaguely remembers it showing up in a vid posted on these pages. If it's the one he's thinking about, could one get a delicious pizza almost immediately after exiting the water, if that was one's thing?

Gary is very keen to get back to NZ for some faceys.

I'm high on the hill, looking over the bridge,

To the Gary-G.
And way up on high, the wave I can see,
is a sweet facey

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G commented Tuesday, 16 Jan 2018 at 9:52am

So did Gary correctly guess the novelty spot?

I'm high on the hill, looking over the bridge,
To the Gary-G.
And way up on high, the wave I can see,
is a sweet facey

Blowin commented Tuesday, 16 Jan 2018 at 3:18pm

Are you guys still discussing Vanuatu ?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog commented Tuesday, 16 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm

Gary gets the Gold stamp bahahahahahaha.

And Blowin, no..... We're chatting about somewhere that has wifi, bitumen roads, pro surfers and ding repairers.

Sheepdog