South Africa

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil started the topic in Tuesday, 14 Nov 2017 at 12:26pm

Hey All

Myself and the missus are travelling to South Africa in April next year.

4 weeks in total. We will be landing in Cape Town, hiring a car and the plan is to drive along the coast to Jeffrey’s Bay.

We are happy to camp out somewhere if we (I) happen to come across and good setups.

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts, tips, advice if they have done a similar thing there.

Cheers
Filthy

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben commented Tuesday, 14 Nov 2017 at 12:30pm

That's a trip I gotta do sometime in the next few years.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt commented Tuesday, 14 Nov 2017 at 3:31pm

Don't bother camping accommodation is cheap, set ups? Every town has a right hand point.

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil's picture
filthyphil commented Tuesday, 14 Nov 2017 at 9:20pm

Crustt did you hire a car? Would a 3x2 steamer be right for that time of year do you think?

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt commented Wednesday, 15 Nov 2017 at 7:41am

You'll need to hire a car Phil, first time we went we got given one :-) and every other time we have bought a Kombi. Cape town your going to need 4/3, booties and hood. It's freezing down there, I got out from a surf one day and it was around 35deg with girls walking past in bikinis and me in my booties, hood and gloves couldn't get the car opened my hands were to cold. On the north east side of the cape and up the coast is a different ocean and I wouldn't wear ant more than 2mm, occasionally there will be days when there is an upwelling and you need a 4/3 but these are rare and the surf tends to be average.
If I only had a month there I would not be surfing Cape Town, world class waves but even with local knowledge your chasing your tail a bit. April is a good time to go on the east coast, good southerly groundswells and the chance of catching a cyclone swell from the north east, just about every town has a right hand point and some of those points can be awesome when the swell is hitting it full on straight instead of sweeping in, Supertubes is one of them. Don't worry about pre-booking through airbnb and such, do it the old fashioned way and ask around,you'll get a better price. Most campgrounds have Rondavels at a good price. Kango caves is worth going to and the Addo Elephant park just out of Port Elizabeth is a must.

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil's picture
filthyphil commented Wednesday, 15 Nov 2017 at 8:20pm

Crustt thanks for the epic reply!
Sounds like you’ve had great experiences over there.
You’ve given me something to think about. Thanks so much.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer commented Wednesday, 15 Nov 2017 at 11:04pm

South Africa is very high on my bucket list and families but the 1st time we are planning
a trip as we are looking for accomadation at J-Bay Mick Fanning punches a shark in the
face. Then this year watching the contest we are saying we have to go the shark comes
back for a rematch with Fanning. Family and I lost interest again. Its all Fannings fault.
We all still want to go one day.

IF im not surfing im racing

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt commented Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 at 5:40am

Sharks are bad there, I had a big white cruise under me apparently, I didn't see it but everyone else did. I would help if the squid fisho's didn't clean their boats as the cruise up the point checking the surf.
It's a country I would rate highly enough to go without surfing, everyday's an adventure.
Don't ever drive at night Phil, apart from being robbed they have one of the highest road tolls in the world.

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil's picture
filthyphil commented Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 at 6:05am

The travel agent said not to drive at night because of the chance of getting robbed.
Happy to cruise around during daylight hours ha ha.
Some of the places around Cape Town sound sharky as all hell.
I’m not too concerned I’ve grown up surfing in Southern Oz so I’ve come to accept that they’re around.
I’m really looking forward to the Safari part of it. It looks unbelievable.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 at 1:08pm

Yep great country and great people.
One of the things that really stands out is how raw and loose South Africa is, it just feels so free and unstructured. Of course this can be both good and bad but almost all good for the traveller. This is in contrast to Australia, which many people say is the most bureaucratic country in the world.
Without banging on too much about safety in S.A., it really is no joke. This includes flashing cameras etc in the daytime, depending on where you are.
You could easily spend the whole 4 weeks on the south coast but if you get the urge, the Transkei/Wild Coast coastline east of Mthatha is magic - there are some quality points around Mdumbi and Lwandwile and really nice rondavel accommodation at Mdumbi Beach.
Good times ahead Phil!

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer commented Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 at 4:19pm

Andy M what do you mean about flashing cameras?

IF im not surfing im racing

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt commented Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 at 4:28pm

I think he means showing what you have got to steal evo