Eye Openers

Blowin started the topic in Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 3:30pm

What's what might have left the building.

So here's the new location for the events and personalities that you think may elicit an interest from others.

Or just anything that makes you raise an eyebrow.

Blowin commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 3:36pm

Midnight oil tour tickets - $200 each !

I suppose they'll play for a couple of hours , so really it works out at an hourly rate roughly equivalent to that which the local mechanic would charge their apprentice out at.

But as someone that hasn't seen a live band in quite a while , it's a bit of a shock.

Is this the normal price to see a band these days ?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 3:48pm

yeah, i can't adjust to these insane prices. i never go out as a result. but then i never paid even when it was $6/$4 student/unemployment. it just felt wrong -- like paying for sex. Part of the fun of seeing bands was scamming your way in. climbing throught toilet windows or having a few textas and stamp pad to make a smudged mark on your wrist, telling the door you're the bass player...that one didn't work so well when it was tracy pew standing at the door.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 4:17pm

Still heaps of good bands to be seen free or for a reasonable price. Leave the Oils to those who missed them first time around. Big rooms are shit anyway!

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 4:45pm

I like the oils but even 15 years ago you could see them at a large pub type venue, i guess them having a break has kind of made them more popular again.

The prices suck but id still pay up, but i just don't like going to gigs in really big venues, the bigger the worse, stadium size gigs no matter who they are suck

I like my gigs at dirty little grungy pubs like the tote in Collingwood where even if your standing up the back you can still see the action, or you stand up the front and reach out and touch the stage

Ada gula, ada semut!

Blowin commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 4:52pm

I'm hearing you , but I sort of feel like I've got unfinished business with the Oils...

They were one of , if not the most , impactful band on my growing self.

All those cultural touchstones and lyrics invocative of our wide , brown land. Not to mention I thought they just plain went off , as did most of my mates.

And I only went to see them once , as they were sliding into irrelevance and my world was about to be shaken by a rawer sound.

Saw them at a large venue - can't remember which - fully charged up on years of live Oils stories and footage of punters on stage with Pete as his head steamed and he raged through his gyrations.

Maybe I didn't pace myself.....but a couple of songs in and I've leapt up on the stage to rock out with a legend of my youth and security has ripped me off the stage - fair enough - but then the fuckers turfed me out on the street , rather than just let me back into the audience.

Bastards.

They can stick their $200 tickets up their arse.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 5:12pm

...

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 5:45pm

Ha ha...I had exactly the same thing happen to me at a Tumbleweed gig on the Gold Coast, but Richie the lead singer saw it happen and it was during the support bands set and he got me back in..bloody legend.

It was actually on the Goldie near surfers some venue called the Troppodaro or something, quite a good size venue but still a good bar etc, i saw the oils there around that same time, ive seen probably over a hundred plus bands and i do have to say id rate them in the top 10 gigs I've seen.

Ada gula, ada semut!

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 5:51pm

BTW. Trump becomes president, Richmond wins a premiership, imagine if you had suggested five years ago these two things would happen, people would just laugh.

I mean even early this year who would have believed Richmond would even play in the grand final.

Ada gula, ada semut!

stunet commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 6:17pm

@Blowin,

I got two tix for Midnight Oil at the Domain for $100/each if you're keen. I bought tix to the Wollongong and the Domain shows in an excited frenzy, only to win two more for the Selinas gig a few month back - which was white hot BTW.

Lemme know if you're keen for 'em.

stunet commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 6:20pm

Though I'd have to look at resale policy. I know they implemented some deal to stop scalpers and I vaguely recall no onselling. Gotta show ID at the gate.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 7:29pm

What a timely topic, been listening to Place Without a Postcard in the car for the last couple of days..takes me back. Have to agree with Indo, great live, for me the best live band I've seen.
Also agree with the smaller venue sentiment, saw them at Boondal a couple of times, the Spit at that outdoor setup, but by far the best was at Bombay Rock.

Blowin commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 8:11pm

Fuck , that's a great offer , Stu.

It'll be a hike for me and I'll have to check the dates etc but I'm very keen .

I'll get back shortly.

Cheers , mate.

Blowin commented Saturday, 30 Sep 2017 at 8:25pm

Just went looking for the dates for the domain concert and the oils website stated DO NOT buy tickets from Viagogo or whatever it is as they may be expensive......and that's where I'd looked at buying tickets.

Checked the prices at the Coffs Harbour show on the Oils site and they were only $100 each !

Fuckers were going to charge me double.

I can justify that price and I may as well see them at Coffs cause it's a shitload closer than Sydney, so thanks anyway Stu. Appreciate it.

Let's see if I can make t through a few more songs before I get turfed out this time.

Got to admit , the rave reviews provided by you fellas added a bit of impetus to my decision to go. Stu gave it a good rap a while back too .

As long as I'm not watching a bunch of crones in a xanax fugue push their Zimmer frames slowly around the stage.

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 12:35am

ID, Tumbleweed ... haven't heard that name in a while, Seen em at the North Gong back in the day, good stuff. Watched the oils with Hoodoo Gurus, one for the homeless concert in Sydney a fair while a go, good gig, but as you say you don't get the vibe you get in the pub style venues.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 8:51am

Was fortunate to do a bunch of shows with Tumbleweed in the mid-late 90's.. really nice bunch of fellas. One of the best shows I saw them play was at the Tivoli with You am I, and Raisin Toast - around '95 or '96 - just after Galactaphonic was released and they were all over the radio (that album wasn't anywhere near as good as their self-titled album debut, I reckon).

indo-dreaming commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 8:53am

Tumbleweed are playing regularly again these days touring next month actually small pubs but i think most gigs are already sold out.

North Gong i was a regular there for a while in the late 90's, always had good local bands like Thumblock and Thumper etc and a real good crew and beautiful little dirty grungy pub.

@Blowin Id suspect the oils are still very much active on stage, it was a while back but when i saw them i was blown away by just how tight they were and how good and unique there sound was, you can really appreciate how good musicians they are live.

Only large gigs I'm interested in going to these days are some of the smaller festivals might have to go to this one https://www.adayonthegreen.com.au/catalogue/attr/merchant_id/1353/produc...

Ada gula, ada semut!

indo-dreaming commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 8:56am

BTW. those resell sites like "ticket tek resale" are just criminal i can't believe its legal, its basically legal scalping.

I like the idea of a ticket with the buyers name and needing to show ID at the door.

Ada gula, ada semut!

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 10:09am

Early 90's for me at the North Gong, seen Tumbleweed a bunch especially after theatre of gnomes album. It was an awesome pub for live bands.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 1:19pm

There aren't too many bands from my youth that interest me in seeing them now, especially if they've reformed to play at shit venues with inflated prices. I'd rather just leave the memories untarnished. Oils are probably one exception as beyond the hype and popularity they were all quality musicians. Rob Hirst is still probably my fav Aussie drummer.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 1:50pm

they played free near the beach at cronulla one perfect afternoon. Garret came on stage in a pair of sluggos and a twin fin and wanted to know 'wheres the beach'

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 2:09pm

think i went to the original domain concert free, the only other bald person in the crowd was the hot dog vendor and he copped heaps,but he had the same attitude as Garret, and just as entertaining

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 7:50pm

was the cronulla gig also the one that the saints/chris baley played? wish i'd been there.

i always missed those big opera house concerts in the 70s. i wish i'd seen thin lizzy at the opera house. the parents dragged my away to the bush for summer. what idiots head inland in summer? we once went on a summer holiday to lightning ridge...actually, that was a lot of fun.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules commented Monday, 2 Oct 2017 at 7:40am

better to keep the family as far away as possible, not sure about the lineup but the saints and birdman were in the wings, did see the thin lizzy gig at the opening to the newcastle sports stadium free

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink commented Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 6:37pm

That's how it feels in Sydney, Blowin. Seems more crowded by the week.

Except for the last two weeks, school holidays, and everyone streams out of Sydney in that time, and the commutes and transport are glorious, for a very short while.

But it's back to the grind again. Killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Why isn't population allowed to be debated? The right are always on about political correctness (gone mad!) but the one thing that gets short shrift from both major parties is to discuss just how many people can you fit in here, without turning the country into a third world backwater.

Blowin commented Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 6:59pm

Seems more crowded ?

Sydney is literally 10000 people busier every single week on average.

10000 people !

That's the population of Coffs Harbour every 7 weeks .

Nothing to see here ...

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas commented Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 7:14pm

ya really throw the shit out there, not good with facts, matter of fact, shit house. when ya grow up & have a good look around for yourself, things, & the breeze, may change.... but for you & the bakers dozen........ ???? ...............na perhaps not.

hynz

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules commented Friday, 6 Oct 2017 at 7:40pm

the hodads used to describe to me the medical method used to clear up the jack, that shit was an eye opener

Blowin commented Friday, 13 Oct 2017 at 2:17pm

Totally above board.

He's only thinking of the interests of the nation!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Friday, 13 Oct 2017 at 3:06pm

Comment from beneath the article...

"Pity you didn't nationalise the mining boom and our gold stocks Peter, instead of buying two elections with it."

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus commented Friday, 13 Oct 2017 at 3:26pm

Comment from beneath the article...

Thats gold

Blowin commented Thursday, 19 Oct 2017 at 8:48am

Nothing whatsoever to do with a million odd international students working in Australia . Or the other visa categories.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Sunday, 22 Oct 2017 at 6:41pm

Pilger is a man who loves a good polemic but all the same, when it comes to (U.S.) foreign policy, the ABC certainly doesn't mind toeing the line these days.