Vids other than surfing thread (cool doccos, movies etc)

indo-dreaming started the topic in Thursday, 20 Nov 2014 at 4:42pm

Indonesia is full of so many contradictions in so many different ways but this place takes the cake.

stunet commented Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 10:25am

Thanks for the heads up Chook.

Dance Craze is unreal, remember seeing that years ago. Last night I felt like a larf so rewatched 24 Hour Party People, which IMO, tells the stories how they should be told. Rock and roll is myth and fantasy so drop the strait-laced reportage and get loose with the truth.

First scene sets the tone: "I'll just say one word: 'Icarus'. If you get it, great. If you don't, that's fine too. But you should probably read more."

Rob Brydon makes a couple of appearances too.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey commented Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 11:34am

Moving into even stranger and rarer territory, Stu-bags...the musical biopic!

A whole lotta crap abounds. BUT...

my pic for a good 'un straight off the bat:

The Buddy Holly Story starring (wait for it)...Gary Busey!

Fucken unreal.

udo commented Friday, 5 May 2017 at 10:54am

AutoExpert - John Cadogan weekly Rant
Episode # 21 Friday Nutfest

udo commented Friday, 16 Jun 2017 at 6:52pm

Goodnight Apex : Youtube
Shirtless Aussie warrior flogs Sudanese

Blowin commented Friday, 16 Jun 2017 at 7:21pm

Udo , I've got no idea as to the context of the video , but as someone that very recently punched another person in the face - that fucken sickens me.

The noise as that fella takes the punch , let alone when the bloke hits the ground is brutal shit and I wish that it never happened again to anyone.

Violence is so fucked.

Avoid it.

thatguy's picture
thatguy's picture
thatguy commented Saturday, 17 Jun 2017 at 8:42am

Been watching Abandoned series on SBS on demand. Pretty good, rockin soundtrack.

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 17 Jun 2017 at 12:03pm

Nice thanks for the heads up thatguy, i need a new dock series to watch that one looks good. SBS on demand is a pain in the arse to watch though with the adds and often don't play through the adds properly.

Ada gula, ada semut!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan commented Saturday, 17 Jun 2017 at 5:41pm

I reckon I saw an episode of that last week, was very good. On vicelamd sbs. They went to a deserted dreamland like park where hurricane katrina hit. Years on, what a fucking mess, no attempt to clean it up. Trump 'carnage' country.

Skateheads brewing cement in a shitty carpark for somewhere to skate, makes you realise how lucky we are in oz.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell commented Sunday, 18 Jun 2017 at 11:47pm

Just started watching El Chapo on Netflix.I dont watch much tv but this seems pretty good. Supposed to be the new Narcos which i rated highly.
On El Chapo Guzman who all of you know of im sure.
Heres some more info.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/23/el-chapo-new-narcos-american-...

Blowin commented Friday, 28 Jul 2017 at 7:05am

Recently got Netflix and I'm sadly almost at the end of Peaky Blinders.

Any recommendations for another series ?

Sorry, too lazy to go through this whole thread .

Cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben commented Friday, 28 Jul 2017 at 8:35am

Bloodlines was awesome.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon commented Friday, 28 Jul 2017 at 9:35am

Yo, for all you random face-punchers out there, check out the latest Twin Peaks.

Give the inside of your own head a good thrashing.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell commented Friday, 28 Jul 2017 at 1:46pm

Blowin, Narcos and el chapo are good if you can either speak spanish or can handle subtitiles.
Narcos is slightly better than el chapo imo.

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha commented Tuesday, 1 Aug 2017 at 5:04pm

SPLINTERS is the first feature length documentary film about the evolution of indigenous surfing in PNG. I don't know if its been mentioned here before.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper commented Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 10:53am

@Thermal Ben, Bloodline with the recently departed Sam Shepard.

“The dog leg. That dog had four legs. One you found in my trunk. The other three went out with the information you're thinking about right now. Two people you don't want coming around here if anything bad happens to me.”

Blowin commented Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 2:07pm

Watch Given on Netflix. Journey of the Goodwin family as they circle the globe teaching their kids about life . Narrated by their son.

Incredible photography and adventure.

Definitely worthwhile.

8.5 / 10 .

Fuck it , I'm going 9/10 just for the GT.

indo-dreaming commented Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 4:40pm

Ive gone through so many different series.

-Louis Theroux doccos (love his shit)
-River monsters
-Ross Kemp gangs
-Man versus wild
-Heaps of shit on Vice some good some crap (Thumbs up America series is kind of cool in a nothing kind of way)
-Cat Fish
-World dirtiest Jobs
-Banged up abroad

Some more but can't remember.

Signed up for the free Net flix thing, but IMO Net flix is shit, and trussed some of the other pay ones and there is nothing much on them..

Pop Corn time is the best one and free (i guess technically illegal), heaps more on there and new movies often come up as soon as they hit cinemas and generally pretty good quality. (and no pop ups or virus's etc)

ABC i view is okay too.

Always open to any suggestions for more docco or really type series .

Ada gula, ada semut!

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper commented Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 6:48pm

Last week's Utopia was my life!

stunet commented Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 6:54pm

Facilitator for minorites and disabilities?

Or was that the episode earlier..?

Not quite digging Utopia - few chuckles, no bellylaughs.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper commented Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 6:59pm

"Who let HR into the building?"

stunet commented Wednesday, 2 Aug 2017 at 8:01pm

Ah! Gotcha...

stunet commented Wednesday, 23 Aug 2017 at 6:31pm

Anyone watched or watching Horace & Pete by Louis C.K? I'm only one episode in, still getting used to the lack of 'comedy', but don't know if I can muster enough fortitude for a whole season of lugubrious bar scenes, as inventive and well acted as they are.

Worth it or not...?

Turkey and Shatner, this'd be up your alley(s), yeah?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon commented Wednesday, 23 Aug 2017 at 6:42pm

I don't get the fuss about Louis C.K. I mean I get it but, I dunno. I'm a Larry David man myself.

Blowin commented Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 3:47pm

As a fisherman , the only thing equal to actually fishing in order to develop knowledge of the undersea world and understand the habitat and behaviour of fish is diving.

As a surfer , you could do worse than take an interest in what's swimming around underneath you on the edges of sandbanks and the channels and gutters around the points.

This is a nice little vid focusing on hunting Jewfish off East coast headlands and washes.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 4:30pm

spearos chasing jew in the washes are our enemy....once they find a school.....thats it.

Blowin commented Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 5:29pm

I agree . Fishing and spearing don't mix .

But most days with a decent wash will scare off the average spearo.

If not Maybe get a speargun then.

Nice vid though , heh ?

indo-dreaming commented Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 5:37pm

I watched those two vids and then couldn't stop watching spearfishing vids, i rate myself as a pretty good line fisherman but spearfishing I'm useless at, but after watching an hour worth or more of vids I'm re amped.

Im going to get myself a decent gun, good fins, a weight belt, some cammo gear and next Indo trip I'm going to put the hours in until i get a decent fish.

Ive already seen areas from the vids where I'm approaching things wrong, although they still make it look so easy.

Ada gula, ada semut!

Blowin commented Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 5:49pm

Parts of Indo have really good fishing. Sometimes I'm amazed by it to be honest.

I'll be writing it off after surfing a reef for a few days that appears barren of virtually any fish life , then I'll jump in with the goggles on and see some incredible shit.

I've seen really good fish down the southern end of the Ments including a good marlin.

Sumbawa has unreal fishing / diving.

I've heard talk that further east is at least as good.

Diving is so good for making yourself feel comfortable in the water and for getting another facet to your water knowledge and skills.

Plus it's a consistent way of acquiring food once you've mastered the basics and you see unbelievable stuff on a regular basis. It's crazy how often you can be observing a featureless expanse of water from the surface and as soon as you jump in another world reveals itself.

And nothing will ever come as close to bringing your mind into the immediate physical present as looking up at the surface through 10 fathoms of ocean with only the breath in your lungs to sustain your existence on Earth .

Blowin commented Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 5:52pm

This video is cool as fuck

udo commented Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 6:38pm

Thats Brilliant .
Same page : At Home Under The Water - Philipines Ocean Planet

udo commented Tuesday, 29 Aug 2017 at 6:11pm

69 Shirley : Vimeo
Byron Bay Surf History ? ?
115 Kg Bylsey man turns.

skull's picture
skull's picture
skull commented Thursday, 14 Sep 2017 at 8:37pm

agree with Bloodlines,

Blowin commented Monday, 18 Sep 2017 at 8:50am

Better call Saul.

Offshoot of Breaking Bad.

Good stuff.

stunet commented Monday, 18 Sep 2017 at 9:16am

Great series with two excellent leads - took me a few episodes to realise Charles was Davis St Hubbins, then took me a few episodes to get beyond that and take him seriously.

Typical of law drama to mix up pillars such as familial love, ethics, and the law, twist them all together so you never quite know which choice a protagnist might take, but Better Call Saul does it wonderfully.

Much like Breaking Bad got the chemistry right, I've been told by someone who should know that the legal arguments are right on in Better Call Saul. Not that remaining ignorant to the legal minutiae detracts from the enjoyment, but still...

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon commented Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills commented Wednesday, 20 Sep 2017 at 12:43pm

epicly later'd - Heath Kirchart

gnarly mother fcuker - post skateboarding adventures (former pro athletes take note)

udo commented Thursday, 16 Nov 2017 at 4:15pm

Bird vs Fish - Blue Planet - youtube
Giant Trevally feeding on birds

udo commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 9:13am

Fitz /Freeride have you ever seen these monster GTs in action ?

Blowin commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 10:05am

Cool vid , Udo.

Fun to catch one or two then they become vermin.

Worm riddled flesh.

Great looking fish .

Hard to beat catching them on poppers for visually exciting fishing.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 12:06pm

@Udo
Not feeding on young sea birds. That footage is incredible.
But, yes, monster GT's test your strength, stamina and durability. Big ones command quality fishing gear.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 12:54pm

Heres a piccy of one of my Indo mates catching a GT near supersuck.

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil's picture
filthyphil commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 2:33pm

That’s a beauty Groundswell, feed the whole village

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 5:36pm

Ive never come across a GT with worms?

Caught big barracuda in Indonesia with worms....only fish there i will not eat.

I love GT's to catch and eat though,,but better to eat when not huge.

Ada gula, ada semut!

Blowin commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 5:41pm

Seen GTs chasing down tail walking long toms plenty of times.

Lots of predators smash flying fish , so it's not too much of a stretch to see them grab a bird.

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 6:52pm

Yeah there is footage about of them taking birds.

BTW. Dont know if it was just the algorithm thing or what but after posting here i went back to my Facebook feed and two seperate post with pics of decent GT's being caught in Indonesian.

Ada gula, ada semut!

indo-dreaming commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 6:57pm

here it is, best bit about 1:10 until the end.

Ada gula, ada semut!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm

This place gets infested with juvenile trevs of all species during summer....mostly GT's but some big eye and goldens amongst them...got 3 the other morning.

Got to say after losing numerous tailor lures to rampaging 5-10kg GT's (they tend to fight dirty) I'm a bit off them....but boy do they pull hard. I release them if I land them because they are so tough and release well and my kids won't eat them.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 9:35pm

classic.. " my kids won't eat them" .. I know feral cats that won't eat them.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Saturday, 18 Nov 2017 at 9:57pm

my chooks love 'em.

But my wife won't let me feed them too much fish because the eggs end up tasting like fish.