Where did you surf today?

lom's picture
lom started the topic in Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 at 11:22am

A Realsurf staple-( sorry Priddes for the plagarism)
No surf today but off to Vicco tomorrow for the weekend so heres hoping!

Blowin commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 2:55pm

Today was utterly stunning.

Had the South side of a very prominent headland to ourselves. Lightest offshore blowing into waist to chest high North East wedges breaking in a couple of feet of clear water.

Had my first surf in a while after crushing my ribs at the same spot.

Went up onto the grassy headland out on the tip and watched whales , schools of fish and a hammerhead shark doing their thing.

A few XXL bluebottles on the beach.

Followed up with lunch at an old school beach village bowling club. Bistro was shut . But If there's anything I've learnt from watching Bear Grylls suck the urine from a dead camel's bladder its that you've got to make do with whats at hand.

So it was chips from the vending machine with our cold schooners.

Drive up the beach to home and the neighbor is bringing over the latest season of Game of thrones to watch at my leisure.

I'm giving the day a solid 9/10.

indo-dreaming commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 5:09pm

Blowin stop talking about surfing this forum is for politics and insults only.

"friendly passive aggressive wolves in sheeps clothing. ;)"

Blowin commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 5:18pm

No one gives a fuck , Indo.

All the action is over at the whinge thread.

You can only dance to what the band is playing. Maybe we're the only crew on here that go to the beach ?

Maybe Caml was right all along ?

Speaking of ....any waves today Indo ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 5:24pm

I concur with the assessment Blowin.

I was on the rocks in the dark as a big golden moon just off the full was setting in the hills.
Last time I fished I bagged a solid jew second cast. This time I went one better.
Before I'd even figured out how I was going to fish and keep the line out of the deep braid cut in my finger from a mis-timed leader grab on the last fish I felt that dull, heavy thud from a big jew.
Had that fish on the rocks and was back in the car sipping coffee before it even went cold.

Went home, fed the chooks and took my daughter out for a little before school surf in some very pretty babyfood.
Was home by 8 and the day already felt complete.

stunet commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 5:29pm

Sounds fantastic, Blowin. Enticing. You should start selling real estate wherever you are.

That wasn't actully meant to be an insult, though I can imagine how it could be construed so.

Anyway...

I dug out an old Gordon Woods longboard this morning. Walked down the beach and had a solo session in perfect, tiny peelers, cross-stepping and getting down on my haunches and generally posing for whoever was watching. Fuck it was fun.

Long time betwen sets but, and it got me thinking about boards. Lots of things get me thinking about boards these days, but especialy sitting on boards, that really gets me thinking about boards.

Yeah...

So anyway, I figured out I've owned that Gordon Woods longboard for 27 years, which makes it the longest consecutive ownership of any board in my quiver. Yet despite that notable fact I'm simply not very attached to it. I like it. It's a great period design (1964), and it's in good nick. But I'm fairly indifferent to it as a possession. There are other boards in my quiver that I've owned for less time that illicit more emotion when I think of them.

The theory I formulated while sitting out there went like this: despite owning it for so long I haven't formed any meaningful memories around it because I don't really give a shit about cross-stepping or head dipping or hanging ten. They aren't aspirations in my surfing life. And though the board is now worth a bit I still can't work up any great attachment to it. Made me realise that attachment isn't based upon expense but experience.

Of course, Buddhists will say I shouldn't get attached to things at all.

But then I'm not a Buddhist.

And that's about where I got to before the next set hit and interrupted my train of thought.

New south swell coming late tomorrow so I'll be back on the usual equipment then.

EDIT: You oughta be selling real estate too Steve.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 5:30pm

Didn't surf here today, ever, never ... as at 20 minutes ago.

indo-dreaming commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 5:32pm

No it's dogs balls down here Blowin super cold with rain even hail and blowing strong SW heaps of swell but a wind blown mess, I'm sure there could be a fun wave in some hidy hole but nowhere near where i live.

"friendly passive aggressive wolves in sheeps clothing. ;)"

Blowin commented Tuesday, 5 Sep 2017 at 5:38pm

That's a solid day.
Ot feels like you've trumped me with that jew. I had a throw out the end of the point today . Zero interest. All the action was out wider and inshore was too clear and too still. Maybe a bit more action when that next South stirs it up a bit ?

Heaps of blackfish in the gutters.

Anyway. Now I know how the WSL judges feel . I threw out a 9 when a 12 point ride was just around the corner.

Everyone's a winner today.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon commented Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 5:20pm

Don't you know it!

Today has been utterly tremendous!

Yew!

Woke up at the crack of dawn, actually that's not my missus' name, but anyway, we had sex, as you do, then it was off to my local for a paddle.

Offshore and clean again, though it'd dropped off a fair bit. 6' maybe today. First wave, barrel, which is always a good start.

Yew!

Off to work. All-staff meeting chaired by the big Kahuna, our 'CEO', well, that's not his title, we're not that corporatised...yet. Anyway, he kinda nervously flashed up graphs, and metrics, and projects, and projections. I say nervously, maybe even desperately, as The Australian blew the lid off his 35% salary increase the other week, so I guess he was trying to justify this with the slide-show. It was utterly unconvincing and he then got grilled by a significant and varied number of staff. Me included. Tough crowd. Maybe a 9 in the 'tough crowd' stakes. Oh, how he squirmed. Tremendous.

Yew!

Then I went to a real meeting discussing our on-going EBA negotiations and the implications of terminating EBAs being seen and used as a 'business model' by others in the sector. Things are afoot. Positive things. And that is good news for all us, I daresay.

Yew!

Power-lunch with old comrade at the rubbidy. His shout.

Yew!

And it's only the arvo! Tonight, got a whisky tasting event. Which I get paid to attend and write about.

Yew!

In context, I'd give the day (so far) a 6.

Same same tomorrow surf-wise, though swell's dropping off further. A lotta nice sand lined up at certain beachies, but.

Yew!

Shatner'sBassoon commented Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 11:06am

Rinse and repeat!

Yew!

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha commented Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 4:43pm

The bank(s) at dbah is absolute rubbish right now. Needs a good storm and reset

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey commented Saturday, 9 Sep 2017 at 7:42pm

Golden. beach

" SA's Reserve Capacity "

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber commented Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 8:05am

Just as Ben predicted - Wedding Cake (off Coogee in Sydney), right direction, size right. About the only place where the swell is handled. An easy big swell.

stunet commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 5:20pm

For the last four months I've read the numerous stories about this year's flu pandemic with the smugness befitting someone with an armour-plated immune system. As people went down around me, even my wife, I carried on, saying nothing, but inwardly praising my fortitude and constitution.

...till the fucken thing got me last week and I lay in a foetal position for three days shivering and aching. Knew the waves were gonna be good on Sunday so kept that thought in the back of my head as I ploughed on through marathon sleep sessions waking only to change sweat-drenched clothes at random hours of the day or night.

On Satuday arvo I figured I'd need a warm up surf, and a stretch and cold water immersion might do me some good anyway, so I necked some ice-lite medication and cruised down. The water was cold. I had no energy, and I struggled. Took a runner and lined up a floater section, got pitched out, tried to land it and twisted badly feeling a sharp pain across my right side hip flexors and abs. Gone.

Underwater in a bit of pain I was getting rolled and my head was spinning. I tried to breathe out slightly to equalise and my right ear blew out! Tore muscles and perforated my eardrum within seconds of each other.

Caught a whitewash wave in, stumbled up to the carpark, struggled out of my wetty then went home and went to bed. Slept all Sunday. Still got the flu.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 5:28pm

ha......I feel you......it fucking flattened me too.....luckily, between swells.

Blowin commented Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 5:52pm